• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

Shaneus

I didn't even know it had started yet!

Hopefully they just get the team that did the remarkable Typing of the Dead to do all of them. Keep that developer in work, and keep Sega PC gamers happy!

Don't think I don't remember this branding, Sega.
IpJElw0.jpg

Lest we forget that SEGA has been in the PC porting business for quite a while, I have on my 64bit Windows 7 system an ancient ass installation of Virtua Cop 2 (Windows 95 version) which still works natively without any Compatibility options that have to be set in the executable.

The only thing you have to do is to launch the main executable (ppj2dd.exe) directly, instead of the VC2.exe file (which won't work under 64bit Windows since it's a 16bit application).

Freshly taken screenshots using the D3D renderer (lol):-

So yes, while we're demanding PC Ports from them right now, do recall that they have a history of doing this in the past, even while they were still making their own console hardware in the 90s (The Saturn, Genesis era). This is not unprecedented, and I'd say they're definitely more receptive to the idea as say compared to Nintendo which to this day still has a total of 0 official PC Ports.

Zushin

Lest we forget that SEGA has been in the PC porting business for quite a while, I have on my 64bit Windows 7 system an ancient ass installation of Virtua Cop 2 (Windows 95 version) which still works natively without any Compatibility options that have to be set in the executable.

The only thing you have to do is to launch the main executable (ppj2dd.exe) directly, instead of the VC2.exe file (which won't work under 64bit Windows since it's a 16bit application).

Freshly taken screenshots using the D3D renderer (lol):-

So yes, while we're demanding PC Ports from them right now, do recall that they have a history of doing this in the past, even while they were still making their own console hardware in the 90s (The Saturn, Genesis era). This is not unprecedented, and I'd say they're definitely more receptive to the idea as say compared to Nintendo which to this day still has a total of 0 official PC Ports.

Holy fuck. I remember that game back in the day. Still wondered about it recently but couldn't remember the name, thankyou!

Veal

Why demand ports? Sega has been pretty good at supporting PC even when they had their own consoles out. Sure there are some games that aren't on PC from them, but not counting games that may be tied up in legal tape (certain console exclusives, Disney/marvel stuff etc) it's only a matter of time before we get them now.

cripterion

Jesus, a bit offtopic but seeing Resident Evil 4 release on Steam I still believe guys. Sega, c'est plus fort que toi!

PS : And now Capcom release Dragon's Dogma on pc too :D

TaroYamada

I have composed a mission statement for a petition and am prepared to take it live with the support of SEGABits and other SEGA fansite community members, I don't want to steal any thunder though and the initial push was fostered by Grief.

Statement can be read here, please give corrections if you see them. I wrote it late and quickly, I need to wake up for a meeting at work tomorrow, will read responses tomorrow afternoon.

Do you mind, Grief?

Zarx

I have composed a mission statement for a petition and am prepared to take it live with the support of SEGABits and other SEGA fansite community members, I don't want to steal any thunder though and the initial push was fostered by Grief.

Statement can be read here, please give corrections if you see them. I wrote it late and quickly, I need to wake up for a meeting at work tomorrow, will read responses tomorrow afternoon.

Do you mind, Grief?

No Valkyria Chronicles?

Zarx

It's mentioned at the bottom as a game we want ported, but not in the initial wave, because we're targeting the low-hanging fruit at the start.

ah I didn't read all the way to the end I guess, I still think that VC should be part of the initial batch. As I said asking for two Platinum games in the first batch doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO.

TaroYamada

No Valkyria Chronicles?

It's mentioned at the bottom as a game we want ported, but not in the initial wave, because we're targeting the low-hanging fruit at the start.

ah I didn't read all the way to the end I guess, I still think that VC should be part of the initial batch. As I said asking for two Platinum games in the first batch doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO.

So there's a variety of factors at work here, as stated in the rough draft we wanted to target the "low hanging fruit" McQueen mentions. The second thing, sort of mentioned in the rough draft (see: "are we asking for too much, too quickly?" or whatever I said), was balancing the requests from NeoGAF with the recommendation from SEGA's community manager's that suggested we target a specific title. We're obviously already beyond one specific title but given the variety of requests it seems best to try and find some middle ground or compromise.

I want to include Valkyria but I find it difficult to do so when it's likely to be the most difficult of the initial suggestions we make. I also agree that two platinumgames in a petition for SEGA games is a tad counterintuitive which is really why I tried to stage our argument as a general request for more ports in the future with these initial three providing a testbed for SEGA.

These initial three games were settled upon by writers who previously were or still are contributing to places like SEGA Nerds, SEGA-16 and SEGABits. I also attempted to balance their views with NeoGAF's and SEGA's community manager.

I'm completely open to arguments though and I stress that this is a rough draft. As an example: most of the SEGA community members I spoke too also just wanted one platinumgames title but due to the volume of requests I saw on here I included both, even though it was slightly against my own position that I had previously stated in this thread and actually coincided with the view you hold now. Like I say, compromise.

Thanks everybody for participating.

edit: also I feel the vanquish aspect needs to be expanded, suggestions welcome and remember to correct any major grammatical errors, still haven't given it a thorough proofreading.

Grief.exe

Looks good to me.

I would prefer VC obviously as that title will have more sales success on the PC side, despite being a more difficult path to porting.

TaroYamada

Looks good to me.

I would prefer VC obviously as that title will have more sales success on the PC side, despite being a more difficult path to porting.

I hear you, I really do but you also acknowledge the difficulty we'd have in staging an argument for it alongside these three where we can point out aspects that might expedite porting.

With that said I appreciate your consent, and now that I have it, we'll begin crafting the final draft.

Once more thanks everybody, gtg but should be back in a few hours to respond to any new replies and begin making alterations for the final.

shocktrooper

Neo Member
Wasn't SEGA the publisher of Condemned 2? That's top on my list.
Its not that old, the first Condemned is on PC, most other Monolith games are too and the game had to be censored/toned down to get an M-Rating for consoles.
Releasing Condemned 2 HD Uncensored Director's Cut for PC would be just perfect

Would it though? I feel like Bayonetta would actually sell the most to the PC crowd.
Strategy games are a pretty big historical pillar of PC gaming, so Valkyria Chronicles would have a lot easier time of getting accepted by PC gamers. Also, the pickings for 3D TBS games are pretty damn slim, so there's not a lot of competition in its subset of the genre.

Lime

Just do a multi-choice petition. Whatever wins the most votes is receives the most focus, while ensuring that Sega also become aware of the demand of the other 3 titles.

mkenyon

Banned
I had this pretty successful article on BitMob awhile back. To summarize, I missed out entirely on most console experiences from N64-PS2 days. Valkyria Chronicles and Demon Souls were two of my most favorite games of the last generation, and VC has a lot of what PC gamers love. This is very thing that PC-exclusive players are missing out on.

I know I'd double dip for sure.
Would it though? I feel like Bayonetta would actually sell the most to the PC crowd.
No f'n way. Bayonetta is antithetical to what PC oriented folks like. I mean, there's a crowd there, but most PC gamers I know hate linear games, and hate QTE's even more.

Sendero

Add me for some Valkyrie Chronicles and Vanquish greatness.

Now.. when will the Port demand for DRAGON's DOGMA (Capcom) start?

Cyrano

I suppose the bigger question is how readily the CANVAS engine supports PC. While I know the Platinum Engine used in Bayonetta definitely does, I'm not sure how easy the conversion of the CANVAS engine to the PC platform is/isn't. It's a proprietary engine too and there's not a lot of good information on it.
Now.. when will the Port demand for DRAGON's DOGMA (Capcom) start?
There has been demand for this since the game was released. Nothing ever came of it though, seemingly because the producer didn't want to. Unlike the CANVAS engine there's far less excuse, given that the MT Engine is natively a PC-based engine.

Sadly, it still tends to take a Dark Souls-type success for Japanese developers/publishers to realize how much money they're missing out on by not involving the PC audience.

Peff

There's a reason why Sega spent 26 million dollars to buy Relic a year ago even though they already controlled both the Total War series and Football Manager. The X-Com reimagining was also quite successful according to 2K, and that's basically sci-fi Valkyria Chronicles. The Steam stats show that people play entries to all these series daily, whereas success stories for fighting games are not that frequent as far as remember. Mortal Kombat seemingly had great sales numbers, Street Fighter IV has done well enough that Capcom is excising GFWL from it over Resident Evil 5, but once you're out of the top dogs it's harder to tell. I think SNK was happy with KOFXIII's sales? The biggest problem is that VF's biggest territory by far is Japan, where Sega's Steam offerings are very limited.

I hear you, I really do but you also acknowledge the difficulty we'd have in staging an argument for it alongside these three where we can point out aspects that might expedite porting.

With that said I appreciate your consent, and now that I have it, we'll begin crafting the final draft.

Once more thanks everybody, gtg but should be back in a few hours to respond to any new replies and begin making alterations for the final.

Taro-san, let me just say something: other big brands in the industry gave faith to PC gamers, and they got their fruits - Konami's MGR:V and Castlevania LoS are a fast example.
Capcom then, out of nowhere, comes out with the HD remaster of RE4.

What i am trying to say is that IT IS POSSIBLE. Every pc gamer that preordered just shown what is like for us to give a bit of faith.

I dont care how much time it takes to port some of Sega greatest games like Vanquish (on top of my list), Valkyria and so on....but let it happen.

Sega never let me down. Even after Dreamcast. Because everytime Sega takes the show, it makes wonderful things.
Sega all star racing transformed is one of the best multiplayer games EVER.

I have faith in you guys, let it happen.

No f'n way. Bayonetta is antithetical to what PC oriented folks like. I mean, there's a crowd there, but most PC gamers I know hate linear games, and hate QTE's even more.
What QTEs? Bayonetta has like two in the whole game. Also most games being asked for here are linear.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't SEGA the publisher of Condemned 2? That's top on my list.
Its not that old, the first Condemned is on PC, most other Monolith games are too and the game had to be censored/toned down to get an M-Rating for consoles.
Releasing Condemned 2 HD Uncensored Director's Cut for PC would be just perfect

Yeah they were but I doubt there's any chance of that happening. I would looooove to have it on PC so as I could get rid of my 360 copy but it's not exactly popular and even split the Condemned fanbase. I never heard about it having to be toned down though for an M rating. It wouldn't surprise me though with Monolith :p

Not true, at all. On the other hand I know a lot of PC gamers who would love to have more games like Bayonetta etc on PC. There's a big audience for those games on PC. You can't just say something like 'antithetical to PC oriented folks' and pretend it's true.

ArjanN

I had this pretty successful article on BitMob awhile back. To summarize, I missed out entirely on most console experiences from N64-PS2 days. Valkyria Chronicles and Demon Souls were two of my most favorite games of the last generation, and VC has a lot of what PC gamers love. This is very thing that PC-exclusive players are missing out on.

I know I'd double dip for sure.

Probably more accurate to say a lot of PC gamers don't have much experience with character action games.

VC is more similar to a traditional PC game in style, but I'm pretty sure Bayonetta is generally more well-known.

Do you mind, Grief?

sounds good, though I will agree Vanquish may need to be expanded a bit more. Here's hoping it leads to some good things, I'd love to eventually see Valkyria Chronicles on the PC.

z1ggy

Metal Gear Rising was on the top 10 Steam for a good period of time. It's linear and it has QTEs.

And i loved it.

mkenyon

Banned
Metal Gear Rising was on the top 10 Steam for a good period of time. It's linear and it has QTEs.

And i loved it.
Talking about folks that aren't in this thread.

Looking at the people I know pretty well or really well on my steam list, and there's maybe 2 out of 60ish that would consider buying it. Anecdotal, for sure, but that's all we really have to go on.

Considering the success of Metal Gear, you might very well be right, and I wrong.

ShowDog

I remember getting Virtua Fighter for Windows bundled with my first Microsoft Sidewinder pad. At the time I remember it being a pretty decent port, but I doubt the framerate was 59.67 or whatever the hell it is supposed to run at. They have a lot of PC ports in the mid to late 90s.

I'd love for them to focus on ports of 32-bit games, especially racers with proper wheel support. It would be a huge upgrade from emulators just for basic leaderboards.

Sentenza

Probably more accurate to say a lot of PC gamers don't have much experience with character action games.
I'm actually incline to agree with him.
Linear games, short games, games that focus on presentation more than on player agency are all things that historically don't draw too much attention from PC gamers.
And no, it's not because they don't know what they are missing, it's that in most cases they actually don't care too much.

VC is more similar to a traditional PC game in style, but I'm pretty sure Bayonetta is generally more well-known.
This is probably very true, though.

That's not saying much. Most new releases that aren't garbage tend to top the Steam Sales Chart at least for a while, and good/famous games stick there a little more.
Titles that "resonate with the PC audience", on the other hand, tend to dominate it for weeks. Like Skyrim or DayZ.

Why demand ports? Sega has been pretty good at supporting PC even when they had their own consoles out. Sure there are some games that aren't on PC from them, but not counting games that may be tied up in legal tape (certain console exclusives, Disney/marvel stuff etc) it's only a matter of time before we get them now.
Nothing says they would port them eventually if they think there's no demand for them.

mkenyon

Banned
Despite it being akin to Bayonetta, I could see Vanquish doing pretty well just because of the amount of agency it gives you in combat. It's very Crysis-esque, in that way.

I spose for a lot of PC gamers, buying VC would come down to knowing something about it or not. Word of mouth would do quite a bit though.

I've pushed almost all my friends to play it, and even the ones that have a PS3 just don't take the time to get off their PC to actually start it. I know they would if it were released on PC.
That's not saying much. Most new releases that aren't garbage tend to top the Steam Sales Chart at least for a while, and good/famous games stick there a little more.
Titles that "resonate with the PC audience", on the other hand, tend to dominate it for weeks. Like Skyrim or DayZ.
Or even Dark Souls.

EMT0

Banned

There's a handful of games that actually do that. Civilization/Xcom, Skyrim, Arma, Random Valve Game, Indie Game of the Month, and Latest Game On Sale. There's zero reason why any of the consistently proposed game wouldn't do well on PC; we've yet to hear about a publisher being dissatisfied with PC sales of a game. Trying to narrow it by saying 'PC gamers wouldn't touch X, Y, or Z!' isn't very good reasoning at all when the sales numbers we get from every port we've gotten seem to defy expectations. Vanquish and Bayonetta? Look at what Metal Gear Rising just pulled. Valkyria Chronicles? Can anybody say Dark Souls-lite level word of mouth?

Besides, PC gaming's growth seems to have been at the expense of console audiences; I know that I only recently began gaming on PC, and I used to be console-only due to a lack of knowledge. I came to GAF, and then that changed. Underestimating how many PC gamers are console gamers as well or came from console gaming is a bad idea.

Miguel81

There's a handful of games that actually do that. Civilization/Xcom, Skyrim, Arma, Random Valve Game, Indie Game of the Month, and Latest Game On Sale. There's zero reason why any of the consistently proposed game wouldn't do well on PC; we've yet to hear about a publisher being dissatisfied with PC sales of a game. Trying to narrow it by saying 'PC gamers wouldn't touch X, Y, or Z!' isn't very good reasoning at all when the sales numbers we get from every port we've gotten seem to defy expectations. Vanquish and Bayonetta? Look at what Metal Gear Rising just pulled. Valkyria Chronicles? Can anybody say Dark Souls-lite level word of mouth?

Besides, PC gaming's growth seems to have been at the expense of console audiences; I know that I only recently began gaming on PC, and I used to be console-only due to a lack of knowledge. I came to GAF, and then that changed. Underestimating how many PC gamers are console gamers as well or came from console gaming is a bad idea.

Count me in as former console brethen. I love PC-oriented games, but I also love many diverse console offerings(especially character action games).

ArjanN

I'm actually incline to agree with him.
Linear games, short games, games that focus on presentation more than on player agency are all things that historically don't draw too much attention from PC gamers.
And no, it's not because they don't know what they are missing, it's that in most cases they actually don't care too much.

Nah, I think a big part of it actually is that they don't know what they're missing. Same as how there's probably a ton of console gamers who would love, say for example, RTS games if they had gotten more exposure to them.

Sentenza

There's zero reason why any of the consistently proposed game wouldn't do well on PC
I never argued about them "not doing well". In fact I'm arguing about the exact opposite since this thread started and even before.
I'm almost absolutely confident they would probably be able to break even with each one of these ports, bar some massive disaster on their part.

But that's different from claiming that all these games "resonate" with the PC audience and would be smashing hits. I seriously doubt that's the case for most of them.

Nah, I think a big part of it actually is that they don't know what they're missing.
Well, I don't.

TaroYamada

That's more replies than I anticipated, glad to see some support here for the initial draft. I want to take suggestions but eventually we also must take this live and as the community manager stated we must remain somewhat specific. We've broken that rule to the extent that I'm attempting to obtain some compromise between a variety of forces.

With that said, I'll look into altering Valkyria Chronicles position in the transition to the next draft. I probably won't feature it as prominently as the other three as I cannot effectively argue for it, in the sense that the other suggestions have expedited pathways to a finished PC product and Valkyria simply does not. As has been stated, by McQueen, myself and some others it is best to argue for the lowest risk products as a testbed, because that's an easier argument for us to stage. It isn't that I disagree that valkyria could be successful on PC, it's that such a port would almost undoubtedly require more effort and risk on SEGA's part. I'll attempt to emphasize Valkyria Chronicles as a future suggestion, versus leaving it in a list of other popular requests. I'll probably allocate it its own paragraph. That should emphasize its popularity, I hope detractors find this an agreeable compromise.

There are other reasons outside the recent fighting game renaissance that VF5 made it, obviously the expedited porting possibilities (it's probably going to be the easiest/cheapest to port of the three suggestions) and because Virtua Fighter is still a live SEGA franchise, the same cannot be said of Valkyria/Vanquish and SEGA has already made far more than their investment back on Virtua Fighter 5. As far as I'm aware, with Valkyria Chronicles, SEGA of Japan was never pleased with the sales of the PS3 title, hence the move to PSP and the eventual death of the IP outside mobile/social.

edit; I'll return shortly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just do a multi-choice petition instead of this exclusionary single-game endeavour.

I agree, let people pick two games and focus on the top three in the petition and list the others as potential future endeavors. It makes sense to focus on games that have some data behind them to show interest rather than the assumption of "these games have the most potential" because of what is determined during a relatively closed discussion.

Don't use the petition to try to influence Sega, just use it to determine where the focus should be.

Nillansan

With that said, I'll look into altering Valkyria Chronicles position in the transition to the next draft. I probably won't feature it as prominently as the other three as I cannot effectively argue for it, in the sense that the other suggestions have expedited pathways to a finished PC product and Valkyria simply does not. As has been stated, by McQueen, myself and some others it is best to argue for the lowest risk products as a testbed, because that's an easier argument for us to stage. It isn't that I disagree that valkyria could be successful on PC, it's that such a port would almost undoubtedly require more effort and risk on SEGA's part. I'll attempt to emphasize Valkyria Chronicles as a future suggestion, versus leaving it in a list of other popular requests. I'll probably allocate it its own paragraph. That should emphasize its popularity, I hope detractors find this an agreeable compromise.

Thank you, I am fine with that.

Top Bottom