• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

Crub

Do people honestly think there is a chance for Bayo 1 on a non-Nintendo platform, with the ongoing deal? I think it would be much wiser to focus the efforts on one game. The one highest in demand besides Bayonetta is probably Vanquish.

Mozendo

PC ports would be great, but it'd go something like this.
???: Wow, I really wish we'd get those amazing console games on PC
???: WOW THIS PORT IS SHIT. LOCKED TO 1080P? WHAT AN ABYSMAL RESOLUTION I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY TREAT PC GAMERS LIKE THIS.

Just like MGR:R.

gribbles

Banned
Hell make 5 for PC!!

Seriously, what honestly makes you believe that Sega will bring a PC port of Yakuza 5 to the west, when they couldnt even be bothered to port the PS3 version over? I would really like to hear your reasoning for this.

FACE

Banned
???: WOW THIS PORT IS SHIT. LOCKED TO 1080P? WHAT AN ABYSMAL RESOLUTION I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY TREAT PC GAMERS LIKE THIS.

Maybe that happened because 95% of 3D PC games let you set the resolution without any sort of arbitrary lock.

dr_rus

Well even this is better than no PC version at all. PC community can fix a lot if the game is good.

ArjanN

Doesn't really matter as the game sells a lot anyway, and they'll learn from this and do a better job next time.

I can deal with developers first PC ports being a bit of a learning experience for them.

Revengeance isn't even that bad a port, it's basically nothing they couldn't fix with a patch or two.

Sentenza

You know what now Sega property would be cool to see on PC? Catherine.
Can't say I would give a damn, quite honestly.

*OR* -and I know it may sound crazy- they could also not screw things up and make a good job, not putting arbitrary restrictions for the sake of it.

Rofl, it's not our fault that we have higher standards than the average console only gamer. Something as simple as native resolution support at the very least should be a given in every 3D PC game/port, that's not even up for debate.

On topic, I agree with the posters saying Catherine would be a great fit for the PC, but in general, I'd be in favour of all and any ports.

Durante

Or, you know, they could just make a decent port. It's not that hard, comparatively miniscule companies manage to do it. I mean, look at Ghostlight -- they outsourced a port (Agarest) to what is essentially a (western) cellphone game company and it had all the features you'd expect.

If Japanese companies truly are incapable of that (something I still refuse to believe) then by all means, outsource it to some cheap eastern European software company. They'll do a good job.

Or, you know, they could just make a decent port. It's not that hard, comparatively miniscule companies manage to do it. I mean, look at Ghostlight -- they outsourced a port (Agarest) to what is essentially a (western) cellphone game company and it had all the features you'd expect.

If Japanese companies truly are incapable of that (something I still refuse to believe) then by all means, outsource it to some cheap eastern European software company. They'll do a good job.
To be honest, I wonder if this is Japan's "well, we'd rather make no money from the west" attitude kicking in. It honestly feels like a lot of the PC ports we're getting are grudging admissions by executives that the platform is actually popular outside of Japan, so the publishers do the bare minimum possible.

That or they're being ridiculously stubborn and insisting they do everything in house, even though they lack the experience and knowledge of western expectations to do it properly.

ezodagrom

Supporting all resolutions is one of the most basic graphics features that PC games should have, and in the case of MGR:R, the weird way it detects resolutions seems to even be causing some issues to some users (like, detecting a low refresh rate like 50Hz or 24Hz, resulting in the game being locked at 50 fps or 24 fps).

Some users are way too negative with their posts, but it's kinda natural due to how many publishers/developers don't listen to their customers and don't release patches to fix issues.

Related to this topic, when it comes to recent SEGA PC ports, there have been bad ports and decent ports, so who knows how will be the quality of future PC ports...
I might as well make a list of studios that have handled PC ports of SEGA games in recent years (using quote tags to separate each studio):
SEGA Shanghai, they handled the ports of Sonic Adventure DX (2011), Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 Part 2, SEGA Bass Fishing, Sonic 4 Episode 1, Sonic 4 Episode 2, Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS Into Dreams.

They've been getting better, but they're first porsts were quite terrible.
Sonic Adventure DX, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 and SEGA Bass Fishing, these 4 can only go up to 1280x720, and in the case of Sonic Adventure DX, the internal resolution is locked at 640x480.
There's pretty much no graphics settings for these, but anti-aliasing can be forced through drivers (AMD cards) or through Nvidia Inspector (Nvidia cards).
In SADX this only works at 640x480, so I assume the other 3 games it only works at 1280x720?

Sonic 4 Episode 1 and 2, these could be displayed in any resolution, but they were locked internally at 1280x720. There were alot of complaints about Sonic 4 Episode 2, and eventually a patch was released to improve the resolution support.
As with their early ports, there's pretty much no graphics options, anti-aliasing can be forced through drivers/nvidia inspector, though it only works at 1280x720 for Episode 1, and it only works in 16:9 resolutions for Episode 2.
These games don't handle well framerates below 60fps, Episode 1 slows down, Episode 2...speeds up? I only tried to lock these at a few framerates using an external tool, but out of the framerates I tried, only 30fps seemed to have no issues, so someone with a weaker PC would have to use an external tool to lock the framerate at 30fps.

Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS Into Dreams, they learned from the backlash from Sonic 4 Episode 2, these games support and run at any resolution, there's no internal locks and there's even no black bars at 16:10 resolutions.
Still no graphics options, but anti-aliasing can be forced through drivers/inspector.
Framerate is locked at 60fps for Sonic Adventure 2 and it's strangely locked at 29fps for NiGHTS. In both cases, if the framerate lowers, the games slow down.
Devil's Details handled the ports for Virtua Tennis 4, Sonic Generations and Binary Domain. Graphics wise there's nothing much to say, each of the games have decent resolution support (though there's black bars at 16:10 resolutions in Binary Domain), a few (though not many) graphics options and framerate that, while limited at 60fps, doesn't slow down the game when it lowers.

Sonic Generations and Binary Domain have issues that ended not being patched though. Sonic Generations crashes very often in the online mode (this issue actually got worse with the final patch that was released), and Binary Domain has very weird mouse acceleration.
Blit Software (now BlitWorks) handled the ports of Sonic CD and Jet Set Radio.
Good resolution support, Jet Set Radio has an option for MSAA, but framerate wise, Sonic CD is locked at 60 fps and Jet Set Radio is locked at 30 fps. These games slow down when they go below their max framerate (60 for Sonic CD, 30 for Jet Set Radio).
Hardlight Studio handled the port of Viking: Battle for Asgard. Resolution support is kinda weird, has a list of recommended resolutions, but non-recommended resolutions can also be used.
I don't have much experience with this game, barely tried it (though I intend to play it someday), tried putting it in a non-recommended resolution (1440x900), but, while the game itself looks fine, the text doesn't, so I guess using one of the recommended resolutions is better for this game.
Framerate wise, it's locked at 30fps, and going below 30fps slows down the game.
Modern Dream handled Typing of the Dead Overkill, haven't played it much, it seems to have limited resolution support, but otherwise it seems to be a decent "port" (not sure if calling it just a "port" is correct though, the typing mode is exclusive to the PC version after all).
This team was lucky to even be able to release the game though, taking this into consideration this was a quite good effort.
There's also developers who port their own games to PC, like Sumo Digital. While the first All Stars Racing game has some framerate problems in certain graphics cards (especially AMD cards), All Stars Racing Transformed is a really good port, Sumo Digital even put some extra work after release to support old graphics cards, like the Radeon HD3000 series.

Sonic Generations has some weird slowdowns that luckily are very rare (eg chemical zone).

Binary Domain, when there are a lot of explosions and shit with many particles there were frame drops on my system. Again, pretty rare, and people with fast enough hardware won't be affected probably but it does seem like the game is a bit heavier than your average non-enhanced port.

The Typing of the Dead renders to 720p only and then upscales. A patch was released that allows you to set to some options to render at the resolution you want but you have to disable postprocessing so it's not quite ideal.

BPoole

Have there been any new developments or news from Sega regarding this? After seeing MGR selling well on Steam, they'd have to be crazy not to look into porting other Platinum games over to PC.

Grief.exe

Have there been any new developments or news from Sega regarding this? After seeing MGR selling well on Steam, they'd have to be crazy not to look into porting other Platinum games over to PC.

Sega community manager responded and said they passed around word to the appropriate people after the Twitter campaign.

He also recomended a petetion as that will directly show demand to the Sega executives. I'll be putting up a petition on Monday. I was going to try to get one up this week, but I've been busy and Metal Gear Rising came out yesterday.

Clawww

I said this in another thread, but why don't they recruit help from western studios/devs that have previously worked with the publisher? Send a team out to help them get that last 5-10% of the port done right and help teach the Japanese devs a bit. I know the games industry can be strange, but a move like that seems like a no-brainer from my perspective.

BPoole

Sega community manager responded and said they passed around word to the appropriate people after the Twitter campaign.

He also recomended a petetion as that will directly show demand to the Sega executives. I'll be putting up a petition on Monday. I was going to try to get one up this week, but I've been busy and Metal Gear Rising came out yesterday.
Awesome, I'll be sure to sign once it's up. Hopefully we can get 100k+ signatures

Grief.exe

I said this in another thread, but why don't they recruit help from western studios/devs that have previously worked with the publisher? Send a team out to help them get that last 5-10% of the port right and teach them. I know the games industry is strange, but that seems like a no brainer from my perspective.

Language barrier would be my guess.

Its hard to just throw people onto a project last minute with an engine they had never seen before. Would be better off hiring from a consultant from a Japanese studio with experience.

Clawww

Language barrier would be my guess.

Its hard to just throw people onto a project last minute with an engine they had never seen before. Would be better off hiring from a consultant from a Japanese studio with experience.

oh yeah duh, language barrier. I guess that really narrows down who you could send over.

Shaneus

I said this in another thread, but why don't they recruit help from western studios/devs that have previously worked with the publisher? Send a team out to help them get that last 5-10% of the port done right and help teach the Japanese devs a bit. I know the games industry can be strange, but a move like that seems like a no-brainer from my perspective.
Or just recruit Durante? ;)

Awesome, I'll be sure to sign once it's up. Hopefully we can get 100k+ signatures
Yeah, that's great there's awareness of it within Sega. This is probably the best time to do it as well, because they'll have visibility of the popularity of these sorts of games with MGR having just come out.

Who do we have to kill to get Gunstar Heroes on Steam with co-op, badges and achievements?
GunstarHeroes1.png

Hubb

Seriously, what honestly makes you believe that Sega will bring a PC port of Yakuza 5 to the west, when they couldnt even be bothered to port the PS3 version over? I would really like to hear your reasoning for this.

Hopes? That is what this whole thread is about no? What makes anyone think Sega will port over Valkyria Chronicles? I don't think they will, I'd be happy if they did though.

Tain

Awesome summary, ezodagrom. You're only pointing out the cases where framerate drops slow down the game to offer explanations for the caps more than to treat them as issues on their own, right?

Tizoc

Who do we have to kill to get Gunstar Heroes on Steam with co-op, badges and achievements?
GunstarHeroes1.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71117/?snr=1_7_15__13
How about a Christian Whitebread or M2 port update with the things you listed.

Hopes? That is what this whole thread is about no? What makes anyone think Sega will port over Valkyria Chronicles? I don't think they will, I'd be happy if they did though.

I believe Binary Domain uses the same engine as Yakuza doesn't it? That would mean it's possible to get Y3 onwards on PC/Steam.
Thing is assuming SEGA would decide to do that is how would they start off?
I personally would get Y1+2 on Steam day fucking 1, but that's mainly because I haven't played them before and because I'm a big Yakuza fan.

Atolm

I just drop by to say that some of the mentioned ports are locked to 30fps because of limitations imposed by someone. I won't go into specifics.

Grief.exe

I just drop by to say that some of the mentioned ports are locked to 30fps because of limitations imposed by someone. I won't go into specifics.

Are you referring to previously completed ports, such as Jet Set Radio?

Or some of the ones referenced in this thread that don't have ports yet, such as Bayonetta, Vanquish, or Valkyria Chronicles?

The Cowboy

Or the port will be great and the game simply won't sell well, look at Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed as an example.

It was a fantastic port, it runs on very old hardware, it was well supported (as someone else mentioned, the devs even spent time making a new rendering method for even older cards post release), it released at half the console price + had a 10% discount on top of that for pre-orders (in fact you could get it for about £15 at release via GMG), it had/has great online modes and loads to do elsewhere (the world tour mode is fantastic).

And despite this at release (and for some time after this) it sold badly (it never broke 1000 players average and it went under 100 players average very quickly), it took 2 free weekends and multiple 75% off sales and even a charity tie in in order to actually get just an OK player count.
-
When it comes to getting more posts, it really helps to buy the games they've already ported (more so for the games that got a really good port).

Sentenza

As far as I know Sega never complained about Sonic ASR Transformed on PC and that's actually the single version they are constantly updating.
Anecdotally almost one third of my friend list (200 persons) own the game.
Any source to label it as a failure?

ArjanN

As far as I know Sega never complained about Sonic ASR Transformed on PC and that's actually the single version they are constantly updating.

Same here, I got the impression the game did well. Hell, I also doubt they'd have kept releasing DLC/updates for it if it had tanked.

Grief.exe

Or the port will be great and the game simply won't sell well, look at Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed as an example.

It was a fantastic port, it runs on very old hardware, it was well supported (as someone else mentioned, the devs even spent time making a new rendering method for even older cards post release), it released at half the console price + had a 10% discount on top of that for pre-orders (in fact you could get it for about £15 at release via GMG), it had/has great online modes and loads to do elsewhere (the world tour mode is fantastic).

And despite this at release (and for some time after this) it sold badly (it never broke 1000 players average and it went under 100 players average very quickly), it took 2 free weekends and multiple 75% off sales and even a charity tie in in order to actually get just an OK player count.
-
When it comes to getting more posts, it really helps to buy the games they've already ported (more so for the games that got a really good port).

Word of mouth of that game's quality sold that game, and it even ended up on the SteamGAF GOTY list in the top 5.
You have to admit, a cart racing game is not the best for the PC demographic, but it ended up selling quite well.

A large percentage of my friends list owns Sonic Racing Transformed, about 30%.

For example, Counter-Strike: GO has about 31% and Civilization V 40% and these are two of the top played games on Steam.

It also seems to peak at around 6,000 concurrent players during Steam sales. Then quickly trails off over a couple weeks, which would seem pretty standard due to the nature of that particular game.
Keep in mind concurrent means there are 6,000 players playing literally that second, sometimes people have difficulty grasping that definition, but the amount of unique players for that day is probably nearing the hundred thousand mark.

FH8aGK4.png

The Cowboy

I never really labelled it a failure, but I wouldn't have called it a success either - I would label it as doing just "OK", I said the game at release didn't sell well (this is based on player the stats at the time - they weren't exactly great) and it didn't pick up reasonable numbers until multiple free weekends, multiple 75% off sales and a charity tie in happened.

Stating that "lots of friends own it" now doesn't mean anything really (as the sales have already happened), the game seemed to have sold most of its copies on PC during the huge discount sales (which is a dam shame as it deserved a lot more sales at its default price of £20).

http://steamcharts.com/app/212480#All
This is the stats for the game since release, you can clearly see when the sales and free weekends happened (look at the peak players for the 1st few months - it didn't even break 1000 peak).

Grief.exe

I never really labelled it a failure, but I wouldn't have called it a success either - I would label it as doing just "OK", I said the game at release didn't sell well (this is based on player the stats at the time - they weren't exactly great) and it didn't pick up reasonable numbers until multiple free weekends, multiple 75% off sales and a charity tie in happened.

http://steamcharts.com/app/212480#All
This is the stats for the game since release, you can clearly see when the sales and free weekends happened (look at the peak players for the 1st few months - it didn't even break 1000 peak).

Again, this type of game doesn't really speak to the PC demographic. It took word of mouth on the quality of the game and the port to spread in order to generate sales.
Something like that takes time.

Stating that "lots of friends own it" now doesn't mean anything really (as the sales have already happened), the game seemed to have sold most of its copies on PC during the huge discount sales (which is a dam shame as it deserved a lot more sales at its default price of £20).

Doesn't matter what the price is, the game is still generating a significant amount of revenue.
I really dislike this argument, its a perception problem that just doesn't hold up in reality.

But then we did this different experiment where we did a sale. The sale is a highly promoted event that has ancillary media like comic books and movies associated with it. We do a 75 percent price reduction, our Counter-Strike experience tells us that our gross revenue would remain constant. Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.

"It's not uncommon for our partners to see [a] 10-20 times revenue increase on games they run as a 'Daily Deal.' Some titles really take off and see as much [as a] 70-80 times increase in revenue," Holtman said.
Is there a catch?
Despite the fact that Steam sales mark games down to just a small fraction of their usual price, the developers we spoke to don't think these promotions are devaluing games at all. Based on the data they've seen, Steam sales have only been a good thing for their business.

Sure, players will jump on the chance to buy a game for $2.50, but the developers have found that Steam consumers are still perfectly willing to pay full price for a game once the sales are over. The "race to the bottom" we've seen on the mobile markets just doesn't seem to be there on Valve's platform.

"While some may argue that [major sales] contribute to an industry-wide price deterioration problem -- where smartphone games have made people unwilling to spend more than $5 on a digital game -- [Steam sales] are a bit different," says Ken Berry, the executive VP of XSEED Games (Ys Origins, Ys: The Oath in Felghana).

"Rather than looking at it as a 'lost sale' when people wait for these Steam discounts, I think it needs to be viewed as reaching out to a new customer that never would have purchased your game otherwise."

Valve's Holtman says he's never noticed any negative consequences from these promotions. Instead, most games still see positive trends in their sales numbers well after the discounts are over.
At the very worst, a game's sales will just revert back to what they were before the promotion began.

And of course, it's not only about generating more sales. Sometimes, you just want to make sure that people are playing your game in the first place, so they pay attention when you're building excitement for whatever comes next.

As Toxic Games' Daniel Da Rocha (Q.U.B.E.), puts it, "[When people] have the opportunity pick up a copy for next to nothing, this only grows the fan base around the game, so when we release new content or future games, we have a large community already there to market to."

Sales of Q-Game's PixelJunk Eden during the Steam holiday sale doubled the developer's annual income, according to tweets from designer and programmer Dylan Cuthbert.

Platform puzzler PixelJunk Eden, the third title in the PixelJunk series, was featured in Valve's annual two-week run of holiday game discounts for $0.99. The game was chosen by the Steam Community in a User's Choice poll determining what game would go on sale at 90 percent off.

dani_dc

Playing MGR just makes me want a port of Bayonetta 2 all the more.
Again, this type of game doesn't really speak to the PC demographic. It took word of mouth on the quality of the game and the port to spread in order to generate sales.
Something like that takes time.

Doesn't matter what the price is, the game is still generating a significant amount of revenue.
I really dislike this argument, its a perception problem that just doesn't hold up in reality.
To add to that, "Cook, Serve, Delicious!" sold 20K in the 8 hours it was on the flash sale (75% off), yet the maximum concurrent players peak of the game is a "mere" 1,443, which represents under 10% of the sold copies just in that period of time (even less if you count life-time-sales).
Chubigans also goes in detail about the actual monetary values and the effect the sale had on the post-sale numbers in the actual article.

ezodagrom

Awesome summary, ezodagrom. You're only pointing out the cases where framerate drops slow down the game to offer explanations for the caps more than to treat them as issues on their own, right?
I pointed them out for both reasons, I posted them as issues, but also posted them as reasons for framerate caps. I'm aware that in situations like that, where the game slows down/speeds up depending on framerate, not much could have been done.

Nillansan

Sales of Q-Game's PixelJunk Eden during the Steam holiday sale doubled the developer's annual income, according to tweets from designer and programmer Dylan Cuthbert.

Platform puzzler PixelJunk Eden, the third title in the PixelJunk series, was featured in Valve's annual two-week run of holiday game discounts for $0.99. The game was chosen by the Steam Community in a User's Choice poll determining what game would go on sale at 90 percent off.

It is not really worth mentioning that as an example, we all know that Q-Games would have gotten more revenue if they ported it to PS4 and charged $5 for it.

studyguy

Just release Ryo on Sonic Transformed already and fucking stop. I don't want your 4th string franchise DLC characters anymore. Much less youtube stars with annoying soundbites of them screaming for 10 seconds in my game.

KAL2006

Banned
Question, because both nextgen systems are basically PCs can we expect more PC ports for nextgen. The reason I ask this is because I switched to PC gaming quite recently, still plan to buy a PS4 in the future mainly for exclusive games and online multiplayer games.

Shaneus

It is not really worth mentioning that as an example, we all know that Q-Games would have gotten more revenue if they ported it to PS4 and charged $5 for it.
It can't be used as an example because we all know what the result will be of a hypothetical situation you've just invented?

Question, because both nextgen systems are basically PCs can we expect more PC ports for nextgen. The reason I ask this is because I switched to PC gaming quite recently, still plan to buy a PS4 in the future mainly for exclusive games and online multiplayer games.

We can expect both more ports to PC, and more ports to consoles (to the PS4 anyway, such as indies). The move to x86 is win-win for all!

Top Bottom