• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Yang's "Moonlight" (short film, Jerrod Carmichael, race and success in America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is a little abstract and I don't think I would be doing a service to your experience watching it if I explained what it is, but it's a 6 minute long short film starring Jerrod Carmichael, Issa Rae, Tessa Thompson, Hannibal Burress, etc. I assume the music heard part-way through is from Jay-Z's latest album, but it's not a music video and I don't think you need any connection to the music to consider it -- I haven't listened to the album or followed Jay-Z's recent work and he doesn't appear in the film. I'm not sure why his name is in the title, I assume it's produced for his company or something. Alan Yang is co-creator of Master of None with Aziz Ansari.

The subject of the film, I guess, is about race and making it in America, about authenticity and selling out, about contentment, about the struggle, about how successful people of color still live in a white world. It's abstract enough that I think you can read as much or as little as you want into it. I found it very moving.

This is really such an unusual thing that I'm just going to link it and see if anyone cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSh48OlvMo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom