• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

eve241

Are there any prog rock fans around these parts? What are your favorite prog rock bands and what new bands have caught your attention?

PS: I'm using the broadest definition possible of the term progressive rock here so...

Count Dookkake said:
Check out the album Roller by Italian group Goblin.

Goblin is the fucking shit. They made the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack, right? If that's right they are awesome. Was thinking of trying some LSD with that soundtrack, but the sound might be too eerie.

Sniper McBlaze said:
Goblin is the fucking shit. They made the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack, right? If that's right they are awesome. Was thinking of trying some LSD with that soundtrack, but the sound might be too eerie.

Those are the guys, lead by genius Claudio Simonetti. He fronts a new band, Daemonia, but they mostly do covers of old Goblin stuff. Got to see them live in NYC in 2001.

If you only know their work on DotD, you should really give Roller a chance. It is one of their few albums that is not a soundtrack for a film. (But most of their film work is spectacular) They also have a few 'essential' collections that should still be easily available.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Prog Rock:

Porcuine Tree
Hawkwind
Rush

Prog Metal
Devin Townsend
Ocean Machine
Nightingale
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Opeth
Witchcraft
Ayreon
Subterranean Masquerade

Count Dookkake said:
Those are the guys, lead by genius Claudio Simonetti. He fronts a new band, Daemonia, but they mostly do covers of old Goblin stuff. Got to see them live in NYC in 2001.

If you only know their work on DotD, you should really give Roller a chance. It is one of their few albums that is not a soundtrack for a film. (But most of their film work is spectacular) They also have a few 'essential' collections that should still be easily available.

Thanks for the tip. I love the "synthy" sound although I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it can be kind of creepy.

Endow said:
No one truly does :lol

But you could say these bands all fit the bill : Pink Floyd, Genesis (with Gabriel), Yes, Rush, Deep Purple, King Crimson and more recently Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater etc.

"Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporate elements drawn from classical, jazz, and avant-garde music. Instrumental songs are more common, and songs with lyrics are sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme"

You could say the music tends to progress in a more nonlinear manner within each track too.

Ïf you love Dark Side of the Moon... will you enjoy Porcupine Tree?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Dream Theater
Transatlantic
Spock's Beard
Neal Morse
OSI
Liquid Tension Experiment

It started with Dream Theater and I discovered all of these others bands through them (through Portnoy, mainly). Neal Morse is probably my favorite artist.

eve241

Cocopjojo said:
Dream Theater
Transatlantic
Spock's Beard
Neal Morse
OSI

It started with Dream Theater and I discovered all of these others bands through them (through Portnoy, mainly). Neal Morse is probably my favorite artist.

A genius. Too bad he left Spock's Beard to praise God. He still does great albums but I don't relate to his lyrics as much as I did when he was part of SB.

soakrates

If any one band were the fathers of prog rock, it would probably be the Nice, which featured Keith Emerson.

I dig Yes, Rush, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Marillion (although the Fish era is decidedly "proggier"), Arena, and Tiles to name a few.

Most of you folks probably haven't heard about Umphrey's McGee, but trust me that they're selling out nice venues in your area (occasionally for the Europe folk).

Start here:

UYCD06.jpg

Then go here:

2154_large.jpg

or here:

ump4.jpg

Great dual guitar interplay... both bad asses.

Porcupine tree is great, as are Riverside and RPWL (who pretty much sound like Pink Floyd if they'd kept playing (and had slightly German accents)).

As far as metal goes, Symphony X and Dream Theater are tops for me, but there's a lot out there I haven't heard yet.

But seriously, get some Umphrey's McGee.

gblues

Banned
Sniper McBlaze said:
Pink Floyd.

Although I'm not totally sure what progressive means.

I'm pretty sure it's about any rock 'n roll music that isn't about girls or sex and includes more than 25% vocal-free periods.

Lyrics can range from nonexistent to poetic (Floyd) to nonsensical (Yes) to laughably pretentious (Rush).

If you don't think Rush is pretentious, I have to words for you:

"oooooooooooooooooooooooooof SALESMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!"

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Witchfinder General said:
Prog Rock:

Porcuine Tree
Hawkwind
Rush

Prog Metal
Devin Townsend
Ocean Machine
Nightingale
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Opeth

Witchcraft
Ayreon
Subterranean Masquerade
Yes. Yes. Yes.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
huge fan of Tool and Buckethead (i think he's prog). i don't really like most other prog rock bands other than Pink Floyd though. mainly to do with the sound.

edit:
for those of you who don't know, as i've noticed in this thread, progressive music is marked by continuous progressive shifts in beat, measure, and time signature and often incorporates experimental and complex musical stylings. i has nothing to do with actual instrumental content.

Zio

I love Progressive rock!

For me, it's all about thinking outside the box, outside the norms. Always evolving with the times, with the technologies available, and giving you something unexpected. Just doing things differently. The music tends to progress through time, whether it's in a single song, throughout an album, or throughout a band's lifetime. For me, progressive music means to explore different and new possibilities with music and sound itself, and as ironic as it may sound, not to tie yourself down to the expectations of a genre.

Progressive rock has a unique energy about it. I really like the ones that go off into different places during the actual songs. Some bands I'd suggest:

King Crimson.

King Crimson!

Dream Theater
Jordan Rudess
Spock's Beard
Neal Morse
Transatlantic
Yes
Pink Floyd
(see also, The Beatles, IMO)

King Crimson!!!

Fireblend

Banned
Holy shit a prog thread. Ok let me start: From the top of my head:

OSI
Dream Theater
Chroma Key
Transatlantic

The Mars Volta
I'm not sure Muse qualifies but... I'll include it.
Joe Satriani
Alan Morse
The Alan Parson Project
Beardfish
Ayreon
Neal Morse
Spock's Beard
Blackfield
Camel
Devin Townsend
Dredg
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Genesis
King's X
King Crimson
Avantasia
Pain of Salvation
Pynk Floyd
Threshold
Porcupine Tree
Frost*

The Tangent
Pure Reason Revolution
Umphree's Macgee
Lots more.

Bolded stand out for me. And I'll take the opportunity to recommend:

1155393241_frost.jpg

Milliontown by Frost* LISTEN TO IT. They've also got a new album coming this year. You won't be disappointed.

More artists I like at my last.fm account too :p

Adamrogo

Banned
Dream Theater

I've seen DT so many times, they really are amazing.
I love the LTE stuff, and I'm actually seeing them in New York in June.

Norua

Banned
Fireblend Bolded stand out for me. And I'll take the opportunity to recommend: [IMG said:
http://mp3.uzhgorod.name/uploads/posts/1155393241_frost.jpg[/IMG]
Milliontown by Frost* LISTEN TO IT. New album this year. You won't be disappointed.

Whow ! Real pleasure to see another Frost fan on GAF ! :D
I came here to say what you wrote about Milliontown.

For everybody here who loves good music, and especially progressive rock/metal, you have to listen to:
¤ Dream Theater (but its ridiculous to mention them cause if you love prog, you already know DT)
¤ Ayreon a band created by the god of prog: Arjen Lucassen. All the discography is a space-opera connected by the same universe, story and characters. > http://www.myspace.com/ayreonauts
¤ Frost* again, best album of 2006 (the second album is going to be released this summer) > http://www.myspace.com/planetfrost
¤ Beyond Twiligh godly prog, amazing lyrics, dark atmosphere, incredible guests > http://www.myspace.com/beyondtwilight
¤ Spheric Universe Experience, french band who released their second album last year, Anima, which you HAVE to listen > http://www.myspace.com/sphericuniverseexperience

Take a drink and 5/10 min. to check those bands ! REALLY ;)

Bildi

For Dream Theater/LTE/OSI/whatever fans (and prog fans in general), you may like Derek Sherinian's solo albums.

I only discovered Derek's stuff a few months ago but it's fantastic. Although he's a keyboardist, his music isn't keyboard-dominated at all. Because he loves the guitar it's very balanced, much like LTE or similar. And he has a really wide variety of guitarists playing on his CDs so it's a good way to get exposure to some guys you may not ordinarily listen to.

Fireblend

Banned
Sniper McBlaze said:
What band would you say is most comparable with Pink Floyd? I like it when it's mellow and nice to do drugs to.
Porcupine Tree.

Oh and Bildi, Sherinian is awesome, don't know how I missed him on my list :p

soakrates

Endow said:
I did say arguably but Nice/Keith Emerson don't fit the bill either. One thing is for sure - Prog Rock was made popular in the 70's.
The Nice's first album predates KC's by two years. Maybe your definition of prog is different than mine, but to my ears The Nice were one of the first, if not the first prog rock band. Not saying KC weren't hugely innovative and influential, of course. In the grander scheme of things, they were probably along with Yes the most influential of the first wave of prog rock bands.

Also, I forgot to mention Sieges Even. Their last two albums are fantastic. Akin to a more technical, slightly heavier Rush.

Zio

Bildi said:
For Dream Theater/LTE/OSI/whatever fans (and prog fans in general), you may like Derek Sherinian's solo albums.

I only discovered Derek's stuff a few months ago but it's fantastic. Although he's a keyboardist, his music isn't keyboard-dominated at all. Because he loves the guitar it's very balanced, much like LTE or similar. And he has a really wide variety of guitarists playing on his CDs so it's a good way to get exposure to some guys you may not ordinarily listen to.

Jordan Rudess's solo work (Dream Theater's current keyboardist) is quite rockin' as well. He just came out with a new solo album The Road Home, where he covered the progressive rock songs that inspired him and introduced him to the new music. I highly reccomend it! Very nicely done...

Sniper McBlaze said:
What band would you say is most comparable with Pink Floyd? I like it when it's mellow and nice to do drugs to.

RPWL is a German band that started as a Pink Floyd cover band. Their original music starts almost exactly like a continuation of Pink Floyd and they gradually develope their own sound as the albums progress:

1836_large.jpg

1853_large.jpg

B00008A8IH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

RPWL-WTME.jpg

41Ro-ybJ52L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's good stuff. A lighter Porcupine Tree.

Mango Positive said:
RPWL is a German band that started as a Pink Floyd cover band. Their original music starts almost exactly like a continuation of Pink Floyd and they gradually develope their own sound as the albums progress:

1836_large.jpg

1853_large.jpg

B00008A8IH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

RPWL-WTME.jpg

41Ro-ybJ52L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's good stuff. A lighter Porcupine Tree.

Sounds awesome. The newer Pink Floyd stuff is kind of shitty though. :S Too much Roger Waters I think.

Zio

Sniper McBlaze said:

You might like recent Marillion. I really like them. They have a more mellow sound lately. (Check out the album Marbles). It took me a few listens to fall in love with it, but it's definitely mellow, and pretty (blatant?) pink floyd influences.

Porcupine Tree has some very nice smoother ones as well. There's a song called "3" from album "In Absentia" that i find wholly beautiful

I like it when it's mellow and nice to do drugs to.

Just wondering, have you ever explored recent Electronic/Ambient music? Cause thats a whole deeper level of "mellow" if you wanna go there. Lots of cool worlds to dive into ;)

I'm into all kinds of prog rock from early Crimson to modern prog metal, but the greatest prog rock album of all time for me is and always will be this:

6sq6bq.jpg

Zio said:
You might like recent Marillion. I really like them. They have a more mellow sound lately. (Check out the album Marbles). It took me a few listens to fall in love with it, but it's definitely mellow, and pretty (blatant?) pink floyd influences.

Porcupine Tree has some very nice smoother ones as well. There's a song called "3" from album "In Absentia" that i find wholly beautiful

Just wondering, have you ever explored recent Electronic/Ambient music? Cause thats a whole deeper level of "mellow" if you wanna go there. Lots of cool worlds to dive into ;)

Okay. Gonna check them out.

Nah, can't really say I have. The closest thing to ambient electronica for me would be Boards of Canada and Junior Boys, but I wouldn't call it ambient. :)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
i'm sort of surprised at the lack of Tool love in this thread. people not like dark, pretentious metal?

eve241

doomed1 said:
i'm sort of surprised at the lack of Tool love in this thread. people not like dark, pretentious metal?

I like Tool alot but they aren't your quintessential prog rock band. In all fairness some of the bands I've mentioned are even less proggy.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of people with good taste in this thread.

And yeah, while King Crimson are the forefathers of prog rock, I've always considered Yes, Rush, and Dream Theater to be the holy trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom