• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at uni (only two lectures left in all of my degree!) but we've been together for 2 years and lived together for nearly that long (we were housemates and now live on our own with each other, which we love btw) and we're both very committed to each other and love each other very much.

We can't get into unsustainable debt and can't afford too many luxuries beyond shopping at Waitrose and eating out every now and again, so we're very careful about how much we spend.

Looks like we're similar ages, but my god I couldn't imagine living with a girlfriend, and having all financial decisions made jointly, at our age. Props to you both.

Meadows

Banned
Looks like we're similar ages, but my god I couldn't imagine living with a girlfriend, and having all financial decisions made jointly, at our age. Props to you both.

I absolutely love it, she's my rock. She cooks the best I've ever had food, she's beautiful, smart (on course for a high 2:1/1st in Management), funny and she pushes me to try harder and achieve more in life. Couldn't imagine life without her and she couldn't without me.

We used to argue a lot but we've both got a grasp on the boundaries of what each other likes/dislikes and wants/doesn't want and we're really happy. I'm very lucky.

This is her btw:

393525_10150665256284046_568104045_12098033_1821004342_n.jpg

(the fur is real but it's from one of these vintage fairs and was made in the 1950s so nowt was killed because of the purchase)

I remember, from the London thread when you posted some restaurant pics and I nearly jumped out of my seat because she looks very similar to someone at uni, but this girl's single so obviously not :)

I've often wondered what a degree in Management is like: is it an MBA-lite, or is it more theoretical than practical?

Meadows

Banned
Sorry Chinner ;)

I remember, from the London thread when you posted some restaurant pics and I nearly jumped out of my seat because she looks very similar to someone at uni, but this girl's single so obviously not :)

I've often wondered what a degree in Management is like: is it an MBA-lite, or is it more theoretical than practical?

yeah it's basically an MBA-lite

other people should post their missus/mister!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oh well, UK-GAF. Since I've kind of nearly run out of savings I am plunging into business - looking at a shop to lease tomorrow. Full setup in 4-6 weeks time, fingers crossed.

Actually I'm surprised how (relatively) cheap it can be to get into retail. Kind of busy with all manner of minutiae at the moment but I'll let you know how it goes. Probably will be a bit of a nightmare to start with, all the palaver about importing stuff from outside the EU is a tax horror so I've had to set aside a whole couple of days to deal with it.

Anyone know a good reliable shipping agent near Bristol?

Congrats dude! Which sport are you looking at going into? A friend of mine went into cricket coaching, he is one of the youth coaches for Middlesex!

Thanks, man! Already coaching football and being paid for it :D Degree 'should' open a few more fields/doors down the road - Biomechanics/Video Analysis. If it all goes to pot I could always become a PE teacher..!

Meadows

Banned
Oh well, UK-GAF. Since I've kind of nearly run out of savings I am plunging into business - looking at a shop to lease tomorrow. Full setup in 4-6 weeks time, fingers crossed.

Actually I'm surprised how (relatively) cheap it can be to get into retail. Kind of busy with all manner of minutiae at the moment but I'll let you know how it goes. Probably will be a bit of a nightmare to start with, all the palaver about importing stuff from outside the EU is a tax horror so I've had to set aside a whole couple of days to deal with it.

Anyone know a good reliable shipping agent near Bristol?

what you selling pal?

I am at uni (only two lectures left in all of my degree!) but we've been together for 2 years and lived together for nearly that long (we were housemates and now live on our own with each other, which we love btw) and we're both very committed to each other and love each other very much.

We can't get into unsustainable debt and can't afford too many luxuries beyond shopping at Waitrose and eating out every now and again, so we're very careful about how much we spend.

How eerily similar to me. I'm in the last stretch of uni, and next week hit 2 years with the missus (who's a year older), spent most of the last year and a half unofficially living with eachother at eachothers places at uni and now rent a little house.

And Waitrose. Very nice. Despite being overly middle class it's Tesco for us, as there's a large store 5 mins walk away and everyone loves cluuuubcard points.

Student and someone on a low starting wage, great financial place to be!

I have to go with Waitrose because it's the only place I can find Bundaberg Root Beer. But for the monthly shop its Asda/Iceland. I'm scum and proud :D

Arnie

I have to go with Waitrose because it's the only place I can find Bundaberg Root Beer. But for the monthly shop its Asda/Iceland. I'm scum and proud :D

True story, a few years ago when I lived at home my mum bought some Waitrose branded stuff in and I refused to eat it because I hadn't heard of Waitrose, and had never seen one either, and subsequently thought it was some low budget shithole and a league below the likes of Lidl.

Morrisons on Preston docks will always be my shopping point of choice.

I'm all about Waitrose for fresh food and meat, Sainsbury's or Tesco for all the branded stuff.

Waitrose has a lot of stuff you wouldn't find in the rest of the supermarkets, and their fruit is quality.

For quality and taste, Waitrose pisses all over the rest of the supermarkets. I can't believe people shop in Marks and Spencer which is similarly priced but nowhere near as nice.

Shocking.

Meadows

Banned
Aldi is fucking good too though. 39p for a dock-off bag of carrots/onions etc. A lifesaver when you're trying to squeeze dem penniez

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
When I'm back in Scotland I shop mainly in Tesco. For the sole reason that they're closest to my parent's house (after a 30 minute walk into town that is.) That and they usually stock good speciality beers.

The last time I checked half of my high school class are working there too.
The other half in Asda.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Morrisons is for hipsters.. Tesco all the way. I love my club card and all the awesome deals.

Kentpaul

When I'm back in Scotland I shop mainly in Tesco. For the sole reason that they're closest to my parent's house (after a 30 minute walk into town that is.) That and they usually stock good speciality beers.

The last time I checked half of my high school class are working there too.
The other half in Asda.

Good on them with the unemployment rate at 9 percent they must be really glad.

But I see you are looking down your nose at them so never mind.

daviyoung

Banned
I'd like to give a shoutout to Akram's. The best supermarket in Britain. Every time you step in it's like you've stepped into an Arabic market, every trip is an adventure, every aisle a new pungent odour.

Love you Akram and your crazy assortment of spices, snacks and foreign cigarettes.

SmokyDave

For some reason I didn't have Dave down as the marriage type
SmokyDave getting married? Didn't think he'd settle down

Mrs SmokyDave is to blame for that. She's fucking awesome and I just want to make her happy in any and every way I can.

Good on them with the unemployment rate at 9 percent they must be really glad.

But I see you are looking down your nose at them so never mind.
I can't believe this post came from you. I'm so proud that I'm welling up and I have a lump in my throat.

Kentpaul

You lot make me sad i'm stuck in a dead end, low pay factory job at the minute.

how much you on ?

I'm in a warehouse job my self earning just under 300 a week.

M30-env-warehouse(1).jpg

I drive that thing about all day so its not really working its chilling out making FAT STACKS!

Mrs SmokyDave is to blame for that. She's fucking awesome and I just want to make her happy in any and every way I can.

I can't believe this post came from you. I'm so proud that I'm welling up and I have a lump in my throat.

Can't be having people dissing hard-working people now! I like a good tv show have experienced character development in my self over the last year.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
There's a Waitrose round the corner from me but I never go to it as the Tesco is 30 seconds closer and I'm a broke student.
Having said that I've got no problems buying shit from Tesco like every fucking day so I may pop in to Waitrose today for some speciality goods, their beer section looks pretty good.

Applying for a placement at Ubisoft Reflections in Newcastle over the next couple of weeks, crossing every single one of my fingers for this.

Scuderia

how much you on ?

I'm in a warehouse job my self earning just under 300 a week.

I drive that thing about all day so its not really working its chilling out making FAT STACKS!

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a steady job, but the pay averages out about £250 a week. Luckily i live with the folks still (I'm 22).

daviyoung

Banned
There's a Waitrose round the corner from me but I never go to it as the Tesco is 30 seconds closer and I'm a broke student.
Having said that I've got no problems buying shit from Tesco like every fucking day so I may pop in to Waitrose today for some speciality goods, their beer section looks pretty good.

Applying for a placement at Ubisoft Reflections in Newcastle over the next couple of weeks, crossing every single one of my fingers for this.

If you're stingey and have no pride, visit Waitrose at about 5.30PM on weekdays and hoover up all the reduced sandwiches, vegetables and bread.

Congrats Dave! And good luck Cindres, that's the Driver San Fran guys, yeah? They seem like a good bunch of guys based on that game, hope you get in (and then deliver hot scoops to GAF, lol)

Kentpaul

Only buy from the big supermarkets guys, lets stomp out local places and there high ass prices.

(I buy my jeans from a local place mind you, i love there gstar selection)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's not legal as far as I know. You can take your case to the regulator if you have the time and get the money back.

Generally borrowing money from the payday lenders is a bad idea and I'm happy the government is looking into it. Another area the government should look at is daily charges for unauthorised overdrafts. A friend of mine went £11 over his agreed overdraft of £8000 while he was out of the country and he didn't get paid until two weeks later but the bank charged him £6 for every day that he was above his limit, so for 15 days he was charged £90 for going over by £11. It works out to about a 19,000% APR. Disgusting charges.

Yeah totally agreed. My wife is with Santander and went £10 over her overdraft just before christmas. She wasn't notified until about a week later, by which time another direct debit had come out. I think they charged something ridiculous like £25 a day (can't remember exactly) but I do know that the end bill was for £175. Luckily, the guy on the phone was a star and told her that if she called back when the bill came they would waive the fees since it was a 'one time' thing. Which is great since christmas was nearly cancelled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom