• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 back in stock at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNCMark

Banned
Hell to the yes. Anyone that says dominance from a single company is bad for the industry is dead wrong.

Anyone that says it's unequivocally a good thing is dead wrong.

Got my Amazon PS4 this week! And it was bricked out of the box :-/

This is what I'm worried about with the 3 I helped family members get for their kids. Hopefully Amazon will have some replacement units on the 26th just in case.

Jomjom

Banned
Then you play on shitty TV with 80-100ms input lag or never played Wii U/Nvidia Shield. It works extremely bad. Read DF article, 90-130ms input lag? No thanks.

I own both a Wii U and a PS4 and there is no discernible difference in input lag between the two to me. Beat Resogun on it so it's responsive enough for that.

NeoROCK

Buy 2 consoles, pay 2 yearly subscription fees.... for 2 consoles that have 95% of the same games

I agree competition is good in some ways, but it hurts gamers in other ways. A lot of the exclusive DLC deals and timed exclusive bullshit hurts gamers.

No I'm not buying Xbox One just to play COD DLC a month earlier, so I have to wait an extra month and by that time the game starts getting stale to me.

Buy 2 consoles, pay 2 yearly subscription fees.... for 2 consoles that have 95% of the same games

That only happened last gen because there was no dominance. The PS2 era just had exclusives, not exclusive content.

In a way, I'd like to see a return to that. It'd give me a reason to buy a PS4.

UNCMark

Banned

I agree competition is good in some ways, but it hurts gamers in other ways. A lot of the exclusive DLC deals and timed exclusive bullshit hurts gamers.

No I'm not buying Xbox One just to play COD DLC a month earlier, so I have to wait an extra month and by that time the game starts getting stale to me.

Both scenarios have their plusses and minuses, which is why people pretending one way is the best way are just spouting nonsense. Most of the people claiming domination is a great thing would shit their pants if it was MS dominating.

Iacobellis

Both scenarios have their plusses and minuses, which is why people pretending one way is the best way are just spouting nonsense. Most of the people claiming domination is a great thing would shit their pants if it was MS dominating.

But in this case, Microsoft can't dominate. Sony is already bringing out more big guns.

You can't tell me the PS2 generation was bad because it was totally in Sony's favor. The console was cheaper than the Xbox and had the better third-party selection of games. Not to mention the load of obscure games coming from Japan.

I wonder how many Amazon got. I highly doubt the demand, just 5 days before Christmas, has dried up like some posts are suggesting.

If stores in my area are any indication the shipment for the week of Christmas is huge, like 75% of what was available for launch day huge. Amazon played a smart hand and jumped out ahead of the retailers holding stock until Sunday. Still, I don't expect Sony to have much issues selling through their stock at retailers. Meanwhile the Xbones are starting to pile up, and not in a good way.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Amazon was sitting on 100,000+ PS4s alone.

Wow. Either Amazon got a shitload of PS4's or the hype train is over. I'm guessing it's the former.

Still it's kind of weird that just before Christmas, literally the busiest time of the year, is when it's the easiest time to get a PS4.

Xevren

This is what I'm worried about with the 3 I helped family members get for their kids. Hopefully Amazon will have some replacement units on the 26th just in case.

Mine was pretty messed up when I got it and I went through Sony for a replacement. Either they fixed the one I sent or gave me a new one that is perfect within 3 days, very fast.

UNCMark

Banned
But in this case, Microsoft can't dominate. Sony is already bringing out more big guns.

You can't tell me the PS2 generation was bad because it was totally in Sony's favor. The console was cheaper than the Xbox and had the better third-party selection of games. Not to mention the load of obscure games coming from Japan.

How can it be a repeat of the PS2 generation if Sony now isn't the Sony of then? Sony now is in shambles. They make no money. Their business units are a disaster. Thinking Sony dominance means a return of the PS2 is a pipe dream. Sony now, even when in fierce competition with MS, were the one console holder to institute a company wide order that all online game require a paid online pass. This isn't the same Sony so assuming dominance is a good thing is misguided at best. I'd rather see them forced to compete.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My brother is ordering his now.

Good thing I spotted this thread! I can't believe it's still in stock.

Salex_

PS2 dominance led Sony to arrogance, reflected on PS3.

PS1 dominance led Sony to the PS2. What's your point? There is no pattern and I wish people would stop using that as an example. You can't ignore the PS1. No one knows what will happen with the PS5 if the PS4 dominates, but Microsoft and Nintendo has to step their game up and convince gamers to buy their console.

Consumers will benefit the most if companies have to react (look at the ps3: PS+, PS+ discounts, Amazon PSN, army of 1st party studios, price drops, etc). Look at what Microsoft released in the last 3-4 years. How did their service improve value wise?

StoopKid

How can it be a repeat of the PS2 generation if Sony now isn't the Sony of then? Sony now is in shambles. They make no money. Their business units are a disaster. Thinking Sony dominance means a return of the PS2 is a pipe dream. Sony now, even when in fierce competition with MS, were the one console holder to institute a company wide order that all online game require a paid online pass. This isn't the same Sony so assuming dominance is a good thing is misguided at best. I'd rather see them forced to compete.

Sony is doomed

PS2 dominance led Sony to arrogance, reflected on PS3.

There was nothing "arrogant" about PS3, they just didn't anticipate the lure of ease of development. It's not like they were intentionally fucking people over just to be assholes. They tried something novel, and it didn't work out.

allan-bh

There was nothing "arrogant" about PS3, they just didn't anticipate the lure of ease of development. It's not like they were intentionally fucking people over just to be assholes. They tried something novel, and it didn't work out.

They believed that Playstation was so special that US$ 600 was viable.

allan-bh

Or they wanted to win the Bluray format war so bad that they were willing to take a hit to the Playstation brand.

If that was true, Kutaragi wouldn't have been removed of his post.

Sony obviously was not willing to bleed with PS3 on the level that happened just to win with Blu Ray.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
And Microsoft believed Xbox was so special they could sell it for $500.

Xbone hasn't even been out a month yet lol I'd say let's wait a few before we compare it to PS3.

I still remember the ******** gamefaqs days. Dat Wii.

edit: oh wow that site is filtered. Yeah I mean that just goes to show how things have changed haha

UNCMark

Banned
Sony is doomed

hurr

They believed that Playstation was so special that US$ 600 was viable.

Consumers would, and did, show them the error of their ways with price. Where their arrogance ended up destroying their gaming marketshare was in assuming they were the only game in town for third parties and that all the third parties would automatically jump at the chance to learn how to code for the new complicated architecture. Didn't take them long to find out how wrong they were, which is exactly why Cerny was called upon a mere year after PS3's launch to start fixing all the screwups they made in designing/planning the PS3. The funny part is MS appears to have learned nothing from Sony's screwups, repeating most of them this gen.

iceatcs

Should be still in stock very while because no more xmas shopping on Amazon, Many deliveries will come after 27th.

Most important, this similar thing, or at least very close to it, happened with the initial batch of Xbox Ones that were in stock at Amazon after the initial sellout at launch. And unlike NeoGAF, not everybody else that may want these systems is immediately aware that it's suddenly back in stock over at Amazon. Once a day passed and news began to circulate that the Xbox One was back in stock, and where, suddenly every shipment since has sold out quite fast.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar thing occur with the PS4 once more people find out that it's back in stock. For example, my friend's mother that was searching for one all over and couldn't get one, finally was able to purchase one through Amazon as a result of this, and she didn't find out until like 2 hours ago.

iceatcs

If you're a prime user you have all weekend to buy something for Tuesday delivery.

Dude, really on Xmas Eve? Damn man. US need calm down.

Anyway. I think I can safe to say it is ALL OVER for Amazon xmas shopping to the most of eyes.

All bickering about supply/demand and both/neither console being doomed aside...

Freaking genius business move. It's not completely coincidental that they're out only on Friday afternoon and the final weekend before Christmas. Put out an absolute heap you've been getting here and there over the past month, dump them all out at once and poach sales off people who were going to head out to retail stores this weekend. Buy it Friday or Saturday and you can still get it shipped for Christmas with a Amazon Prime tie-in. It's the awesome story of How Amazon Saved Christmas™ they'd love all parents to remember and share with their friends.

Edit: You know, they might have played this a little too close. Even if they got a few hundred thousand somehow this is still longer than I'd think they would have been available. There is such a thing as being too late to the party for holiday shopping.

RedAssedApe

Banned
amazon also does sunday deliveries through usps now. so if you ordered early enough today you might even get your ps4 on sun.

NeoROCK

That's because MS abuses their power when they have it.

Indie devs have been very vocal about that. And it seems like the only reason MS changed their stance on Indies is because Sony scooped up so many exclusive indies and really promoted the hell out of them at Gamescom.

Then of course there are all the anti-consumer things they had in place for the XB1.

But the worse of all IMO is their blatant lack of exclusive games in the past 5 years or so.

UNCMark

Banned
Dude, really on Xmas Eve? Damn man. US need calm down.

Anyway. I think I can safe to say it is ALL OVER for Amazon xmas shopping to the most of eyes.

UPS and USPS get Wednesday off. Otherwise business as usual. If you order a PS4 before 3:00pm tomorrow, you can get it Monday or Tuesday. Anything after 3 but before 6 on Monday and you can get it on Tuesday. Amazon is great in that regard. Probably not so nice for the people working in their warehouses though.

That's because MS abuses their power when they have it.

Indie devs have been very vocal about that. And it seems like the only reason MS changed their stance on Indies is because Sony scooped up so many exclusive indies and really promoted the hell out of them at Gamescom.

Then of course there are all the anti-consumer things they had in place for the XB1.

But the worse of all IMO is their blatant lack of exclusive games in the past 5 years or so.
Yes, and benevolent, wonderful Sony would never do that. Except they did, which is why they felt so much pain at the start of the prior generation. Indies were ignored by Sony as were third parties. MS embraced indies and built a console third parties could thrive on. Let's not pretend one corporation is better or worse than the other.

Salex_

Competition is great no matter how you look at it.

Yes, but people should stop begging for parity in sales. That doesn't benefit consumers. There will always be competition no matter how far away companies are in sales or market share. The PS2 still had competition, Apple had competition when they dominated with the iPhone a few years ago, Amazon has competition, Steam has competition, etc.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
don't know if the demand has gone down significantly or amazon got an enormous shipment.

Up to #9, I think it is updated hourly but ranked for 24 hour window, so they are selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom