• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

So when it comes to AA + triple buffering options its either get a decent AA solution with SMAA or have V-Sync/triple buffer with D3DO but not both ?

I guess I'll be stuck with D3DO no AA then, because as always, FXAA is ass and I'd rather have the jaggies over the vaseline.

I'm running it maxed out at 1440p on 2x GTX 670s, the random stutter has to be that I'm running out of memory since I'm only on 2GB, 1080p has no problems. I'm at about 50-70% on each GPU.XEngine.ini

'StartupMovies=2KLogoSweep720p2997
'StartupMovies=IrrationalLogoTest
'StartupMovies=UE3AnimatedLogo_ProRes
'StartupMovies=AMDLogo720p

Thanks for these

I'm back from my meme suspension just in time to sing this games praises.

This game proves that you can have a game running on CryEngine 5, yet if your art department is shithouse, you're wasting your time. Bioshock Infinite shits all over Crysis 3 on its best day from a great height. To think this is a modified version of UE3 is just staggering.

The stuttering you're all talking about I am getting every so often when loading up a new area, otherwise smooth as a babies arse when loading is done. I'm sure they'll have a patch for it soon enough.

nib95

Banned
Yeah I've only got a 1280MB GTX570 so I wouldn't be surprised.

So does the GTX 570 1280mb not run this very well? What settings and frame rate am I looking at here? I was considering upgrading to a 7970 on the cheap, but wanted to hold off for the new line of GPU's. I think I want to switch to AMD though. I just dislike Nvidia as a company, and think all the consoles going AMD should benefit AMD GPU's going forward with next gen console ports.

Yeah I've only got a 1280MB GTX570 so I wouldn't be surprised.

Same card, same frame dips. It definitely feels like a hitch when it loads a new area.

Just finished playing for a few hours, had great performance aside from the loading hitches. Limited my frame cap to 59 in the .ini as mentioned earlier, seems to be the best way to get smooth gameplay.

EDIT:

nib95: With AO turned to low and shadows high I have this thing getting an average of about 57 frames during benchmark. Everyone is getting the load stutter, but you'll be able to handle it fine.

nib95

Banned
Same card, same frame dips. It definitely feels like a hitch when it loads a new area.

Just finished playing for a few hours, had great performance aside from the loading hitches. Limited my frame cap to 59 in the .ini as mentioned earlier, seems to be the best way to get smooth gameplay.

EDIT:

nib95: With AO turned to low and shadows high I have this thing getting an average of about 57 frames during benchmark. Everyone is getting the load stutter, but you'll be able to handle it fine.

Sounds good enough for me! I do like me some AO, but never mind. What graphics settings are you running at overall, medium, high, very high, ultra?

Sounds like PC vs Console differences are quite big with this one, so PC it is.

Salsa

guys im pretty sure everyone's having the dips and im on 2 gigs

anyway, if anyone wants to check this:

first area, shoe shine store to the right, if I get super up close to the guy who's talking while having his shoes shined, framerate automatically drops to 30

something's wrong with the game itself, I wouldnt worry about your hardware it's probably going to get patched up

BraXzy

A monkey could take beautiful shots of this game. Seriously... every frame is art.

I was thinking this, in a less offensive way :p

You can press the screenshot button at anytime and have an amazing shot that would be a rare specialty in most games

There are some textures in places that totally pull you out of the game, it's a shame, but it is rare, you'd think with ultra textures everything would be looking crisp

Sounds good enough for me! I do like me some AO, but never mind. What graphics settings are you running at overall, medium, high, very high, ultra?

Everything on Ultra save for shadows and AO. Shadows on high is pretty much the biggest frame saver. AO I have on low - you might be able to bump it up to normal and still be fine, I just got sick of benchmarking and wanted to start playing the damn game. But yeah, 1920x 1080 runs very well on almost all settings Ultra.

nib95

Banned
Can people with stuttering confirm whether they're using an SSD or regular drive? If it happens during loading segments, could be drive related no?

Everything on Ultra save for shadows and AO. Shadows on high is pretty much the biggest frame saver. AO I have on low - you might be able to bump it up to normal and still be fine, I just got sick of benchmarking and wanted to start playing the damn game. But yeah, 1920x 1080 runs very well on almost all settings Ultra.

Awesome. Sold!

leng jai

So does the GTX 570 1280mb not run this very well? What settings and frame rate am I looking at here? I was considering upgrading to a 7970 on the cheap, but wanted to hold off for the new line of GPU's. I think I want to switch to AMD though. I just dislike Nvidia as a company, and think all the consoles going AMD should benefit AMD GPU's going forward with next gen console ports.

I've got everything max except shadows at 1080p and it runs at 60fps most of the time besides the aforementioned stuttering.

Salsa

Can people with stuttering confirm whether they're using an SSD or regular drive? If it happens during loading segments, could be drive related no?

im using an HDD cause Steam wouldnt let me pre-load elsewhere. I'll probably move it later

also again: I'd be really surprised if the game is eating up more than 1280mb at 1080p. Im above that res and it still a bit away from 2 gigs

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hmm, weird, after using the new drivers I can no longer have 75hz refresh rate in fullscreen mode 1280x720 (on a 1280x1024 monitor, with no scaling forced), it's locked to 60. Oh well, performance is otherwise the same too, no improvement on my PC.

SRTtoZ

i7 3610qm, 7970m 2gb, 8gb ram

Can I max it? I can play Crysis 3 on a mix of high/very high 1080p with AA.

vazel

Banned

Awesome. Sold!
I noticed when I got stuttering my hard drive was thrashing. So I'm sure that's it. VRAM usage was at 1.7GB on my 660ti at 1080p so I never ran out of VRAM.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Unpacking now...

But I have to get up in six hours for work :( So only gonna play for a few minutes.

Is there still a 10GB TEXTURE PACK?

So glad I now have a 4GB GPU. Sounds like I upgraded at the perfect time.

Unpacking now...

But I have to get up in six hours for work :( So only gonna play for a few minutes.

Is there still a 10GB TEXTURE PACK?

So glad I now have a 4GB GPU. Sounds like I upgraded at the perfect time.

No, the Textures are already apart of the preload. The 30GB figure that was thrown around prior to launch was an overstatement.

Don't worry, even at 17 gigs or thereabouts, the game is the best looking one of this gen by far.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
No, the Textures are already apart of the preload. The 30GB figure that was thrown around prior to launch was an overstatement.

Don't worry, even at 17 gigs or thereabouts, the game is the best looking one of this gen by far.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'm a happy camper - an extra 10 gigs on my slow as hell DSL connection would have taken forever.

I think almost everyone has taken this shot eh?

iTUpPRPgrdt2z.jpg

I see this pic being used for months to come in game preview threads.

Proc

My Benchmarks for those interested with a similar setup:

1080p, ultra dx11_ddof

Scene Duration (seconds), Average FPS, Min FPS, Max FPS, Scene Name
32.44, 74.29, 24.50, 285.72, Welcome Center
7.09, 71.48, 18.65, 99.00, Scene Change: Disregard Performance In This Section
21.77, 80.15, 29.10, 94.84, Town Center
8.12, 75.41, 40.01, 99.20, Raffle
9.08, 111.66, 28.74, 130.04, Monument Island
3.53, 122.99, 108.59, 134.81, Benchmark Finished: Disregard Performance In This Section
82.03, 81.97, 18.65, 285.72, Overall

My Rig:

DeviceName: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
IsDX11: 1
DriverVer: 9.18.13.1422
Physical Mem: 16364MB
CPUName: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Oublieux

I... don't think I have it. Started noticing a lot of peculiarities with graphics performance since Tomb Raider came out so I thought it might it. I did play a couple other games in that time and they worked just fine so I dunno

I usually run two scanners: one is Microsoft Security Essentials and the other is Malwarebytes. Both are free. The former is better at catching viruses and the latter more capable of malware. If anything, I'd run Malwarebytes first because on the occasions I have had my computer infected, it would usually be the one to locate the problem. If nothing shows up, I'd run a scan disk check or system integrity check.

So no way to get this game to not use up 2GB of vram in 1440p, eh?

Also, anybody move the game from platter disk to SSD? I'm hoping that might take care of some of the stuttering.

Salsa

stuttering is definetly happening when entering new sections of town or when characters start speaking. It's something to do with the game loading those events.

so far it seems pretty locked at 1.7GB on 2040x1152 so.. maybe?

Gav47

Have people experiencing stuttering tried this?

Is anyone getting bad stuttering? Increasing the poolsize to 320(what I tweaked it to in Bulletstorm) in the BaseEngine .ini seems to have mitigated it for me. It reset my in game settings, but when I put them back to where they were, the stuttering was majorly reduced.

dmr87

Any recommended ini tweaks?

And disable these when you are going in and out the game to fiddle, annoying intros. Just put a dot before the line to disable.

XEngine.ini

'StartupMovies=2KLogoSweep720p2997
'StartupMovies=IrrationalLogoTest
'StartupMovies=UE3AnimatedLogo_ProRes
'StartupMovies=AMDLogo720p

Not if you are gonna go balls to the wall with all the settings.

dino1980

The textures in this game are just awful. :(

Thought we were finally gonna be given good looking textures in a bioshock game. Even on ultra these textures look like a first gen xbox360 game.

pirata

Hey, I dunno where to post this, but this is the first game I've ever preordered and preloaded on Steam. Steam is saying that it's unpacking but won't tell me how much time is left. How much time should it take to unpack? Did I mess up somewhere?

JohngPR

So increasing the pool size helped the framerate drop then back to 60fps issue tremendously. I only noticed one slight hitch and it was the equivalent of Halo loading and saving to the next area.

BraXzy

Hey, I dunno where to post this, but this is the first game I've ever preordered and preloaded on Steam. Steam is saying that it's unpacking but won't tell me how much time is left. How much time should it take to unpack? Did I mess up somewhere?

When the option to click Play comes up, give it a sec, then restart steam and you should be good to go :)

Red

Performance is all over the place on ultra for me. Benchmark gave me max fps of 194.27, min 9.39. 5870 and 4GHz i7.

Guess I'll be scaling back.

neoism

OMG FUCK YESSSS.... lol I had a first time message in steam when clicking play that my drivers were out of date. damn 8.something... really need to fix that but it plays.. :O :O :D <3<3

so happy

dmr87

It takes time, just leave it be. 5-20 minutes.

Salsa

some of those drops dont seem to happen if I have the "lock framerate" to off (was locking it at 60 not 30 for me)

weird. Guess i'll try that + d3doverrider

pirata

When the option to click Play comes up, give it a sec, then restart steam and you should be good to go :)

Didn't work. I even restarted my PC earlier. Whenever I click play, the "updating Bioshock Infinite" window pops with the bar stuck at a little over half-way and a timer that keeps going up, not down.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems to be moving.

-PXG-

Holy shit. This is REALLY well optimized.

I'm getting like 120+ fps with everything on ultra, DX11 and SMAA (ultra) too.

WOW. Locking it at 60. PC doesn't need the extra stress.

Top Bottom