• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Part of the reason he isn't because it is impossible timing wise, 9 will be in pre-production and getting ready to shoot while he is still finishing up post-production on 8.

I mean, it's literally not impossible. Spielberg's done that several times for example, with even more extreme timelines, (hell, he's doing it right now :p) and there's plenty of other cases of directors doing back-to-back/overlapping films as well. But that is a hell of a lot of work to commit to, so there's a reason a lot directors wouldn't do it. Look at the behind the scenes for the Hobbit and see what that did to Jackson.

Realistically JJ could have done 8 too, and almost certainly would have gotten it if he wanted it, but he initially was unwilling to even do just 7 since he was planning on taking a break from directing to spend more time with his family, so obviously he wasn't going to commit to doing 2-3 back-to-back.

If you're going to Dunkirk in 70mm, enjoy.

hrFio7E.png

Woorloog

Banned
How's the TFA novelization? Can get it for 1.99 digital.

IMO not good. It doesn't really go into character's heads and when it expands upon the film, it is usually nonsense. Like the explanation how the Starkiller weapon works. Never seen worse technobabble.
IIRC it did have a couple of scenes that were deleted from the film but they don't really add anything.

Vashetti

Banned
How's the TFA novelization? Can get it for 1.99 digital.

IMO not good. It doesn't really go into character's heads and when it expands upon the film, it is usually nonsense. Like the explanation how the Starkiller weapon works. Never seen worse technobabble.
IIRC it did have a couple of scenes that were deleted from the film but they don't really add anything.

Have they still not announced the TLJ novelisation yet?

Pretty unusual isn't it?

Woorloog

Banned
Indeed, they probably announce it on the FF. Also, i'd expect release on the same day the film releases at best, like with TFA. TFA was ebook only then, wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with TLJ.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why has Luke Skywalker nowadays always have to wear that silly jacket from the Yavin 4 Celebration?
Is it beloved in the fandom?

It's the only outfit from the movie that's post A New Hope and pre-Empire.

I think it can look pretty cool but it kinda depends on the artist.
zQPJ6o2.jpg

RyanW

I was hoping for a Thrawn comic but not really a retelling of the book. I guess since the book takes place between the time the Empire finding him and when he goes to Lothal you can't tell much without spoiling Season 4 of Rebels. Hope there's a few new things in though.

sphagnum

Banned
Can't wait for that Larocca art! /s

At least we'll get canon visual depictions of Eli Vanto and Nightswan. I'd rather have a Thrawn ongoing that replaces Poe or something though.

Speaking of canon visuals, I can't believe we still don't know what Vidian and Rax look like.

sphagnum

Banned
The Servants of the Empire series was wonderful so I think he'll be fine.

Looks like there's also a YA book involving Rose called Cobalt Squadron.

Seigyoku

Guys I really don't think you understand how many copies of Chewie and the Porgs I will be buying.

So. Many. Copies.

In other news, Pablo is writing the Visual Dictionary again, so all is right with the world?

Really like this image of Rey on the cover of one of the books

That costume is so damn good. New avatar time.

Out of the announced books I'm planning on getting:
- Canto Bight
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker
- Leia: Princess of Alderaan
- Phasma
- Cobalt Squadron
- The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Bomber Command

Maybe the novelisation as well if I feel like it.

Most of them are again going to be digital only?

The only book I can recall being digital only for TFA was the collection of short stories that focused on the background aliens in Maz's castle. A physical edition came out eventually too. I don't think they've mentioned any digital exclusives yet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The only book I can recall being digital only for TFA was the collection of short stories that focused on the background aliens in Maz's castle. A physical edition came out eventually too. I don't think they've mentioned any digital exclusives yet.
Would be into a physical copy of these Short stories.

For me are until now on Legends of Luke Skywalker interesting.

Seigyoku

TFA had a digital novella, The Perfect Weapon. Four of the six short stories in the aliens collection were released digitally ahead of the movie.

As for books, I got everything in the Journey to program last time, and I shall again, though this time that means two UK imports. Whee. And I'll probably get 99% of the tie ins, though as usual most of the kids' books will be gifted. I think for TFA I eventually got everything but an activity book and a sticker book. And I ended up getting the R1 sticker book. :p

(Note, I need a new job.)

I just spent the last week down in Kerry working on a film shoot and had a full view of Skellig Michael (Ahch-To) from my bedroom window. Gutted I didn't have time to actually go to it. :(

Probably Octoberish? Quick somebody find the worst Monday night football game in the schedule

I doubt the first trailer will be that late. There's bound to be two more after the teaser like with TFA and Rogue One.

It wouldn't surprise me if the final trailer was released around then though. I'd guess next month for the first.

sphagnum

Banned
Some good news from the Star Wars Upcoming Books facebook page - apparently Kieron Gillen is taking over the main Star Wars comic from Jason Aaron starting with issue 38. Unfortunately, Larocca is sticking around as the artist.

The story should get way more interesting at least, and this means any future tie-ins with Doctor Aphra should go more smoothly.

Some good news from the Star Wars Upcoming Books facebook page - apparently Kieron Gillen is taking over the main Star Wars comic from Jason Aaron starting with issue 38. Unfortunately, Larocca is sticking around as the artist.

The story should get way more interesting at least, and this means any future tie-ins with Doctor Aphra should go more smoothly.

Agreed. Aaron's time on the book ran out of steam a while ago so it should be an improvement. I just hope Gillen isn't spreading himself too thin.

Sounds like his first arc will take place on Jedha and will be about the rebels trying to prevent a second Death Star.

That second Vader arc sounds interesting. Vader and the Grand Inquisitor tracking down Jocasta Nu? I'm in.

Here's the solicits from Marvel's preview brochure:

Darth Vader # 7-12

Vader's story continues! Jocasta Nu, the Jedi Temple librarian, puts forth a desperate effort to gather and preserve whatever she can of the Jedi legacy after the purge. Vader and the Grand Inquisitor cannot let Jocasta succeed and are sent after her, as Palpatine views her as a particular threat. Her knowledge makes her almost a one-woman Jedi Order that must be stopped..

Star Wars # 38-43

The possibility—and destruction—of the Death Star has changed everything. The Death Star's destruction proves the Empire is notirresistible. But a Death Star has been built, and it can't happen again. The specter of the Empire's true power has brought together a patchwork cloth of people, united in hope. From the desolation of Jedha to the search for new bases, these rebels continue to fight for a better tomorrow for a galaxy far, far away in these all-new adventure written by Kieron Gillen (DARTH VADER, DOCTOR
APHRA)..

Woorloog

Banned
Jocasta Nu?
She was the Jedi Master of Jerec in old canon. Plz recanonize Jerec and Kyle Katarn etc.
EDIT No need for the Death Star plans part though, obviously.

sphagnum

Banned
So long as Aphra stays around. I really love that character.

If anything I expect her to be around more.

Gillen is really good with continuity so I hope we see some stuff that ties into other areas of canon, like Ciena and Thane, or Sloane, or Twilight Company and the Mid-Rim Retreat. We've got to be about a year past ANH by now and according to BF:TC the Rebels made a huge push into the Mid-Rim after Yavin but they became overextended and stalled out around this time after which Twilight Company and the other vanguard units began covering troops as they escaped back to the Outer Rim. Not that we've seen any of this in the comic since we just keep getting the Big 3's Big Adventures. I always figured that once Vader got back on top after he killed Cylo and Tagge, that's when the Imperial military managed to get back on its feet and knock the Rebels back into the Outer Rim.

edit: Also, since Rebels season 4 is the end of the show, we'll know the fates of the characters and the survivors can be brought in. Maybe Hera and Rex can get involved or they can do an arc on Mandalore. Or have Leia finally remember that she met some Jedi only a couple years back and hey wouldn't that be an interesting thing to tell Luke?

Or have Luke meet Ezra if he survives or something.

edit edit: I'm still pulling for Rex to give Luke Ahsoka's holocron of Anakin after Endor.

shingi70

Banned
Listening to thaw run, and I like that it's giving us the origin of governer price. I find the galactic politics to be pretty compelling.

Gonna spend the money soon to get caught up on the past few months of comics o haven't read. I'm hoping marvel has another Bogo or Star Wars sale soon.

Top Bottom