• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Tall4Life

It's pretty damn obvious LeBron wants to play with Lonzo

there was literally 0% reason for him to watch the Lakers Philly SL game. He skipped on the ESPY's to watch that?

yeah nah

Bron is coming to LA baby
you make it sound like the espys are a big deal

the best FA you'll get is marcus smart

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So was there a Penny/Shaq feud?

It was kind of overblown. Shaq left because the Magic FO lowballed him at first, the fans didn't really think he was worth as much as they were going to pay him. And the fact it was LA.

Honestly if Nick Anderson didn't fucking choke like a bum maybe Shaq never leaves Orlando.

But it was hilarious how history basically repeated itself with Dwight... only he never had the success Shaq did once he left town. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other coast.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You know the Hawks are in full rebuild mode when their big pickup is some random (Euro?) dude I've never heard of.

DFXwRq6UAAEZIVL

Here's a quote from a piece from The Ringer:

“Irving’s situation is a repeat of history, like Shaq and Kobe, or Shaq and Penny, or Barkley and Pippen,” said one longtime NBA executive. “It’s two big stars fighting for the limelight.”

I don't remember problems between Penny & Shaq or Barkley & Pippen. Were those well-known feuds? I

http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/news/1999/0929/85794.html

"I wouldn't give Charles Barkley an apology at gunpoint," Pippen said, never raising his voice. "He can never expect an apology from me. ... If anything, he owes me an apology for coming to play with his fat butt."

Brutal

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Shaq is a serious diva, isn't he?

Yes Shaq was a diva.

In retrospect though as big of a phenom as Penny was at the time it's laughable to think they were trying to compare the worth of both on the same level as Shaq is one of the greatest players ever.

Sanjuro

Yes Shaq was a diva.

In retrospect though as big of a phenom as Penny was at the time it's laughable to think they were trying to compare the worth of both on the same level as Shaq is one of the greatest players ever.

People still think Kobe was better too.

Shaq was like a shy OJ Simpson.

Gigglepoo

Shaq gets downgraded historically because he so clearly loafed through the regular season. Getting just 1 MVP with his talent is embarrassing.

Shaq was so protected by the media because he was always good for a funny sound bite and kissed their asses. Most players would get torn apart for some of the shit he pulled.

LionPride

Banned
Let's put it like this, Shaq was not trying to stay in shape and his ass was still giving niggas 25/16

After Hakeem and Kareem, Shaq my number 3 Center all time

As a Magic player he was fast for his size and strong as fuck. Lakers he was slower but stromg as fuck and bullyin niggas in the paint

Heat, nice compliment to Dwyane

Suns, still aight

Celtics, booboo

Cavs, blech

Here's a quote from a piece from The Ringer:

”Irving's situation is a repeat of history, like Shaq and Kobe, or Shaq and Penny, or Barkley and Pippen," said one longtime NBA executive. ”It's two big stars fighting for the limelight."

I don't remember problems between Penny & Shaq or Barkley & Pippen. Were those well-known feuds? I
Pippen pretty much called Barkley a Fat Ass for being out of shape. (and he was right) Charles already hurt his back and aged so he couldn't do much except back people down ISO ball then turn around jumper that often missed. reminded me Knick Melo. (hopefully we get to see Olympic Melo)

So was there a Penny/Shaq feud?
There was no on court feud.

I remember specifically this was about money. Penny was due to get a contract and his agent said he needs to get more money than Shaq at the time. According to Shaq in his autobiography, he supported it bc he felt every player should get as much as he can in the market. But after Penny got his contract, when Shaq was due for his contract, Orlando Mangement said they were afraid to give Shaq more and upset Penny.
Shaq smiled and said "no problem". then after the meeting he told his agent at the time Leonard Armato to get him out of there. Penny didn't speak up for Shaq when Orland low balled and the contract dispute become public during free agency. Thus Jerry West was able to get Shaq. when Lakers offer 120 million, Orlando countered with 118 but it was too late.
once Shaq left he heard Penny say negative things and that was what caused a rift in Shaq's mind till Penny got treated the same out the door.

otapnam

Sounds plausible.

Lebron tells Kyrie he is leaving next year. Kyrie doesn't want to be in Cleveland without Lebron and asks for a trade. Lebron then blames his own departure on the Cavs falling apart withouy Kyrie. Its brilliant.

If true Lebron's PR team has certainly come a long way from the group that thought that "The Decision" was a good idea.

A ton of people have been defending LeBron more than Kyrie, so yeah his strategy had been working.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...unction-surrounding-kyrie-irving-trade-demand

It's pretty crazy that the Cavs went from thinking they had a Kyrie/PG/Bron core and a real puncher's chance against Golden St. to flaming wreckage all in a 3 week span.

A Kyrie/PG/Bron core has IMO no shot against Golden State. Love is a big reason they're able to hang around with GS because he's a great offensive rebounder. Take him out of the line-up and Tristan is even more useless being the main focus on that board.

Gigglepoo

A Kyrie/PG/Bron core has IMO no shot against Golden State. Love is a big reason they're able to hang around with GS because he's a great offensive rebounder. Take him out of the line-up and Tristan is even more useless being the main focus on that board.

But Love is a defensive liability. With Paul George, they not only replace a below-average defender with a very good defender, but they acquire another guy who could cover Durant. It killed them in the Finals that only LeBron could check Durant.

mjp2417

Banned

Tristan had a terrible Finals, but are we really going to pretend that he isn't an elite rebounder because of one bad series?

Dubs would still obviously be favored (you can't build a team that they wouldn't be favored against), but PG's defensive versatility and the simple fact that he allows you to rest LeBron for more than like 2 minutes a game without the wheels coming off are significantly more important against GSW than the 3 or so offensive rebounds Love pulled in per game.

But Love is a defensive liability. With Paul George, they not only replace a below-average defender with a very good defender, but they acquire another guy who could cover Durant. It killed them in the Finals that only LeBron could check Durant.

By defensive rating, Love was their best defender in the last Finals and he really looked like it. Trade him for PG and you lose size, interior presence and the offensive rebound threat. Besides, you'd naturally up the pace against GS and that doesn't work. Good luck having JR Smith fuckballing idiot shots without anyone (Tristan is useless without another guy to box out next to him) to scoop it up in the games where he isn't super human.

Tristan had a terrible Finals, but are we really going to pretend that he isn't an elite rebounder because of one bad series?

Dubs would still obviously be favored (you can't build a team that they wouldn't be favored against), but PG's defensive versatility and the simple fact that he allows you to rest LeBron for more than like 2 minutes a game without the wheels coming off are significantly more important against GSW than the 3 or so offensive rebounds Love pulled in per game.

He's an elite rebounder because Love is next to him. Take Love out and Tristan loses the only kind of impact he has in a basketball game. PG would make them smaller and playing faster. Sure that would be smart against GS?

mjp2417

Banned
He's an elite rebounder because Love is next to him. Take Love out and Tristan loses the only kind of impact he has in a basketball game.

Did you not watch the 2015 and 2016 Finals? Love literally didn't play in 2015 and played limited minutes in 2016. Feel free to peruse Tristan's rebounding numbers in those series:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2015-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2016-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html

Did you not watch the 2015 and 2016 Finals? Love literally didn't play in 2015 and played limited minutes in 2016. Feel free to peruse Tristan's rebounding numbers in those series:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2015-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2016-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html

He had a still good Mosgov in 2015 and Love still played over 26 minutes per game in 2016. Tristan didn't lead the team in rebounding in either of those years. If you want to argue that making him the sole offensive rebounding threat would be helpful to that one skill he has, I'm not sure what I can say to persuade you.

Lot of people keep mentioning a deal sending LMA, Green, Murray and a 2018 first round pick for Irving. Some people are postulating a three-way trade between San Antonio, Phoenix and Cleveland.

Rmagnus

Banned
Lot of people keep mentioning a deal sending LMA, Green, Murray and a 2018 first round pick for Irving. Some people are postulating a three-way trade between San Antonio, Phoenix and Cleveland.

That would cause spurs to lose alot of size and if they do move green, who is gonna cover for Irving or parkers defense liability?

That would cause spurs to lose alot of size and if they do move green, who is gonna cover for Irving or parkers defense liability?
Think in one of the proposed three-way trades Shumpert would be traded to the Spurs in addition to Irving. Big man presence does concern me. Hopefully one of those Euro players they recently went out and got are good, and I say this regardless of whether LMA stays or goes.

Just realized that if Cleveland blows up, the Hawks have their 2019 first rounder :) too bad it's top 10 protected

we'lol give it back for Kyrie

I want to say it's too much but Irving is 25 and his offensive skills are the best this league has. I would probably do it.

Rmagnus

Banned
Think in one of the proposed three-way trades Shuler would be traded to the Spurs in addition to Irving. Big man presence does concern me. Hopefully one of those Euro players they recently went out and got are good, and I say this regardless of whether LMA stays or goes.

I did not expect LMA to be this disappointing. I was hoping the one year with Timmy would have helped him further develop as a player but he is just a poor man's Dirk without the 3s. Kawhi prime is now, I really hope spurs can build something around him to get him another ring. It will be tough against golden states but let's see what this off season will bring for the spurs. GSG

mjp2417

Banned

LMA makes no sense on a team that already has Love and Thompson. I don't really see any way the Spurs can finesse a trade for Kyrie, even if they bring in a third team. The silver lining is that if I'm the Spurs I'm absolutely confident I can get a meeting with LeBron next summer as long as Kyrie isn't there.

Top Bottom