• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

fahr

Has there been any word on what's happening over at bad ass consoles? I have a preorder with him but if it's going to take him another several months I might order from this other guy.
I would be really interested if BAC's design fixes the shorting out problem.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been any word on what's happening over at bad ass consoles? I have a preorder with him but if it's going to take him another several months I might order from this other guy.
I would be really interested if BAC's design fixes the shorting out problem.

I remember in that video with RetroRGB (I think it was linked from here) both guys were pretty critical of the current plug and play HDMI solution. He seemed pretty confident his would be better.

I've never watched it but apparently he gives some updates on his stream.

prateeko

The plug and play ones have a shitty setup that allows the pins to contact incorrectly and short out. Apparently they tried to fix this with a recent revision but it still happens.

Apparently it comes with several warnings about this issue.

Jesus that's disappointing since it seemed like such a nice solution. Is this a manufacturing issue or what? After the video review I was ready to jump in but frying my beloved cube is the last thing I'm looking to do.

Jesus that's disappointing since it seemed like such a nice solution. Is this a manufacturing issue or what? After the video review I was ready to jump in but frying my beloved cube is the last thing I'm looking to do.

It's a design issue. You can see it talked about in this old GC-forever thread.

Also the pins do not have any alignment guides to prevent them from straying left / right due to improper insertion (a curious 5yr old when you are not looking, or just an idiot adult for that matter.) once those pins stray from their original position they have potential to short without the user even realizing they might be misaligned and could fry the system.

danyboypremier

Neo Member

D.Lo

You want to ear something funny?

I've got a flash this morning that 15 years ago, I got a digital cable, but the one with a D terminal. At that time, it was an error. I needed de component. But now, I see that an adaptor exist to put it on component!

The cable : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Used-Nintendo-Gamecube-D-Terminal-Cable-with-Component-Adapter-from-Japan-/263110334442?hash=item3d429917ea:g:lVQAAOSwOAZZhKKR

I hope I didn't throw it away! Can't wait to go home to check.
Yes, D-terminal is just a different plug shape of component. You could literally just cut the cable open and re-wire it too.

danyboypremier

Neo Member
You want to ear something funny?

I've got a flash this morning that 15 years ago, I got a digital cable, but the one with a D terminal. At that time, it was an error. I needed de component. But now, I see that an adaptor exist to put it on component!

The cable : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Used-Nintendo-Gamecube-D-Terminal-Cable-with-Component-Adapter-from-Japan-/263110334442?hash=item3d429917ea:g:lVQAAOSwOAZZhKKR

I hope I didn't throw it away! Can't wait to go home to check.

oh well... seems to have put it away...

Greymanic

Neo Member
So recently I've been trying to reduce the amount of space taken up by my game collection by getting rid of cases and use more bulk storage solutions. I know most in the topic probably value the original cases but what are the options for bulk gamecube disc storage given the disc size? I know Sakurai for example uses some sort of binder as shown here but I can't seem to find anything similar! Does anyone have any ideas?

Galdelico

A bit of an odd request, but... Are there any Euro GameCube gaffers who don't mind parting their ways with unusued VIP 24:7 cards?

I'm looking for the VIP cards included with the following PAL titles:
- 1080° Avalanche
- F-Zero GX
- Paper Mario
(and also the VIP 24:7 from New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS)

Of course I'm not asking for donations, as I'm more than happy to pay whatever you may like for them, in case you have them and are available for sale.

Thanks in advance! ^_-

So recently I've been trying to reduce the amount of space taken up by my game collection by getting rid of cases and use more bulk storage solutions. I know most in the topic probably value the original cases but what are the options for bulk gamecube disc storage given the disc size? I know Sakurai for example uses some sort of binder as shown here but I can't seem to find anything similar! Does anyone have any ideas?

I got rid of a lot of cases a few years ago and switched to CD binders. Gamecube games fit ok in the normal ones as long as they don't get shaken. I'm not sure if any mini disc binders exist outside of the Gamecube travel ones that only held like 16 games.

D.Lo

For gods sake sell the cases/manuals! They have value to a lot of people!

Or at the very least remove the inlays and manuals and flat store them and just throw out the plastic.

I got rid of a lot of cases a few years ago and switched to CD binders. Gamecube games fit ok in the normal ones as long as they don't get shaken. I'm not sure if any mini disc binders exist outside of the Gamecube travel ones that only held like 16 games.
noooooooo

For gods sake sell the cases/manuals! They have value to a lot of people!

Or at the very least remove the inlays and manuals and flat store them and just throw out the plastic.

noooooooo

I actually saved all Nintendo related cases and put them in storage. The switch to binders and weeding out cases was for my entire collection but most of what hit the garbage were extremely common PS2 and 360 cases.

Persona7

Banned
Huh???? Chicken Dinner Power Ups? I only remember abilities involving piledrivers, gamma quakes and turning cars into boxing gloves.

I vaguely recall but I think it is this one. I didn't know they released several hulk games in that period.

518pqdiczPL._SY445_.jpg

I do remember Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb railing on it.

RobotVM

I tried to get that HDMI plug and play adapter but it is taking forever to hear back. I ended up just getting a HDMI modded system. The Whole Swiss thing is not really making a ton of sense to me. If I have a mod chip installed I can just burn Swiss to a disc and use it?

Oh man, this is horrible publicity XD. MetalJesus has a huge reach of subscribers. They need to fix the problem ASAP and offer refunds/replacements.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think it uses the plug the guy from badass consoles said was cloooose but didn't quite work. It's why he's working with some manufacturer to make his own plugs, so the pins can't short out.

It's a one man hobby project. He hardly makes any money on it too.

Oh I thought it was a group of two guys from some reason. Regardless I actually truly feel bad for the guy. I know it's a lot of work and hopefully he can figure out some fix or something. Hate to see an amazing project come to a halt because of an early-ish design flaw

Zutrax

I need underrated gamecube game suggestions, stat!!!! Just in case I'm interested in gems I haven't played before.

Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2
Custom Robo
Chibi Robo
Cubivore
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Bomberman Generation

Are all fun games that I don't hear mentioned too often when the Gamecube is brought up.

I've seen silver GBPs, but did Nintendo make any other colors besides silver and black? We're any that common in the US besides the black ones?
Yeah I think they released all the play it loud colors. Meaning green, yellow, red, and clear are also available in addition to those mentioned.

There were also retail exclusive like ice blue at TRU.

Edit: oh you mean the other GBP

There was only black in USA. In Japan they widely released in black, indigo and silver. There were also matching LE colored ones as well. And a Panasonic q exclusive gray one.

Yeah I think they released all the play it loud colors. Meaning green, yellow, red, and clear are also available in addition to those mentioned.

There were also retail exclusive like ice blue at TRU.

Edit: oh you mean the other GBP

There was only black in USA. In Japan they widely released in black, indigo and silver. There were also matching LE colored ones as well. And a Panasonic q exclusive gray one.
Are the Japanese Players compatible with US GCs and US startup discs? I'd love to get an Indigo one.

Top Bottom