• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7, GT Sport, Project Cars 2. What are the biggest differences?

I'll probably get all three.

I'm really hoping it's true that PCars2 finally has decent pad handling, but I'm not holding my breath. They've had two shift games and PCars to get this sorted.

Meanwhile Forza's greatest strength is the pad handling - convincing (note I'm not saying real world because I'm not into videogame dick waving) physics tied to a controller scheme that does a good job of letting you feel the cars and being in control.

Expecting GT to be a bit of a disappointment, but I've owned every game since the first one and I live in hope of one day it returning to form. GT has become a bit like Metallica albums really.

Hawk269

I'll probably get all three.

I'm really hoping it's true that PCars2 finally has decent pad handling, but I'm not holding my breath. They've had two shift games and PCars to get this sorted.

Meanwhile Forza's greatest strength is the pad handling - convincing (note I'm not saying real world because I'm not into videogame dick waving) physics tied to a controller scheme that does a good job of letting you feel the cars and being in control.

Expecting GT to be a bit of a disappointment, but I've owned every game since the first one and I live in hope of one day it returning to form. GT has become a bit like Metallica albums really.

I will most likely do the same and have all 3 of them. From video's and stuff that I have seen, it seems for me it will Forza, Pcars and then GT as far as what I will like the best. Granted my post played series has been Forza. Pcars original was not that great with a pad and performance kind of sucked on consoles, so that is what worries me a little about Pcars. Forza if anything is consistent with performance. GT since I have not played the beta is the big question mark for me.

At the end of the day, if you are a racing fan, it is going to be a great end of the year!!! Can't wait!

MilkyJoe

It isn't and it doesn't.

Sure

I agree, and imo sound is the upmost importance when in a racing game. There is no in game music ( in most racing games ) to keep you pumped.

If your car sounds like shit, I can't get into the groove and get bored quite fast.

Loved the formula A cars in PC and the squeaking of the tyres on sharp bends, really well done, hoping and assuming this will carry over to PC2

rrs

Forza is more like GT4 with a shitload of cars and 30 skylines, but with less fine tuning options and a bit more simlike; Project Cars 2 is a simulator simulator, and GT Sport is Gran Tuismo, but this time you can't turn a 90's econobox into a racecar

Sim:

PC2 > FM7 > GTS

General racing:

FM7 >= PC2 > GTS

Honestly don't know wtf PD is doing these days. Sony needs to fire Kaz and all PD management and start fresh. 4 years into this gen without a GT game and this half assed shit is what we get?

Rodelero

The problem with "everyone needs to play online, so it will even out" is that it is good in theory, but not in practice. In practice people that don't like online just won't play at all, they might try it once or twice but they won't stay.

Shitty comparison: many people thay I know (including myself) wouldn't have bought Overwatch or Rocket League if all they had was the Competitive mode. It doesn't work like that.

You're right. That is an astonishingly shit comparison.

Obviously people that have no interest in racing online are going to stay away from Gran Turismo. That doesn't mean Gran Turismo Sport will necessarily be a failure, it just means they'll have to find new fans too. I'm interested in Gran Turismo Sport because of its online focus, having barely played GT5, and having elected not to buy FM4, FM5, FM6 and GT6. Sometimes developers have to take risks to go forward. I don't know if GT Sport will be a success, but there is something unbelievably tiring about the endless posters who don't seem to have spent even two seconds to try and figure out what Polyphony are going for with GTS.

Sim:

PC2 > FM7 > GTS

General racing:

FM7 >= PC2 > GTS

Honestly don't know wtf PD is doing these days. Sony needs to fire Kaz and all PD management and start fresh. 4 years into this gen without a GT game and this half assed shit is what we get?

I don't know, in terms of features sure GT is behind but the actual car handling / physics and driving is exceptional in GT, something PD doesn't slack on, so it's not as easy to judge it, unless you don't care about that and just want features of course.

I'd love to have a "predict review score and first week sales numbers"-thread, one thread for these 3 games combined.
Really excited for this shit xD

Noobcraft

I'd love to have a "predict review score and first week sales numbers"-thread, one thread for these 3 games combined.
GT Sport should do well. I think PS4 gamers are thirsty for a sim racer. 4m+ lifetime seems pretty likely.

PCars will probably do best on PC. Totally random guess says 1.5m PC, 700k PS4, 400k XB1.

FM7 I think will end up somewhere in the 1.5-2m ballpark on XB1, maybe 100k on PC or something (no idea if there's a market on PC for a Forza style racer)

Krayz

I wonder, with the whole online thing...were PD trying to get into esports? I mean I know they've already got a real life gig going on where people compete in the games then the winner actually becomes a real driver for the GT brand and compete in a real race.

Are they somehow trying to expand in that space? I mean it takes a big decision to change the whole formula when you've invested so much time building up that premium cars library from the previous games. What do you guys think will happen if this actually takes off to become a big esports thing?

Theorry

MS needs to stop being annoying and release those games also on Steam.
Sure they lose 30% to Valve. But you easy get that back with the sales you get. PC people will easy jump on Forza 7 and even more on Horizon 3.

Lom1lo

MS needs to stop being annoying and release those games also on Steam.
Sure they lose 30% to Valve. But you easy get that back with the sales you get. PC jump will easy jump on Forza 7 and even more on Horizon 3.

They should release everything on steam and their store plus crossplay. Like blizzard just make the game on other plattfomrs (steam) more expensive to circumvent the loss

Theorry

They should release everything on steam and their store plus crossplay. Like blizzard just make the game on other plattfomrs (steam) more expensive to circumvent the loss

They dont even have to make it more expensive. W10 version you also have but that one comes with crossbuy so explains the higher price. Seems fair then.

GTS will easily outsell PC2 and FM7, dare I say both combined.

Reviews though..

No, not combined. It will get the lowest review scores of those and... while review scores don't mean much anymore, bad review scores (<77) still do a lot of harm and FM7 has the advantage that it is a must-have for Xbox One X buyers. PC2 has the "all systems" advantage. Honestly, I think there is a good chance that FM7 will beat GTS short-term only to be overtaken 3 months later. Also GTS will lose value the fastest because people jump off the online thing with race schedule, then sell their physical copy and digital price will try to keep up somewhat to stay competitive.

Nope, most hardcore simracers place pC somewhere between simcade and hardcore sims (iR, rf2). If pC2 physics stays comparable to pC, then most hardcore simracers won't touch it.

Those comments are usually from guys who are not really that good and aren´t tearing up the leaderboards but need to feel good about their choices because of a pre conceived way of looking at games.

This opinion was never about objective things, it´s just a bunch of moving goalposts, because to be considered a true hardcore sim, those guys can´t admit that the said title is popular. So this critic will continue to exist because Pcars2 is mainstream, so it can never ever be a competent sim.

It´s always rFactor2, Automobilista, iRacing and some other titles that are niche as hell. I´ll give you that iRacing is somewhat popular in terms of number of people playing, but the holy grail is always a game that only half a dozen people play. Those same guys even got mad once AC came to consoles.

I remember not to long ago when i was playing AC every week that "it wasn´t sim enough" as the game got more and more general awareness.

Point is, you can´t really take the views of those guys as anything serious, because it always sound like "supporting our team" and not an objective analysis.

That would be a fun thread.

Reviews:

Pcars2 - 87
Forza - 83
GTS - 71

Sales:

GTS - 3.2 million
Pcars2 - 2.5 million
Forza 2.0 million

borges

Banned
"Better on all regards" - suspiciously neglects to mention online modes where GT Sport is the only one of the three that aims to properly regulate the racing.

Do you have more info about it? Like a screening between online features of GT and Forza 7?

This opinion was never about objective things, it´s just a bunch of moving goalposts, because to be considered a true hardcore sim, those guys can´t admit that the said title is popular. So this critic will continue to exist because Pcars2 is mainstream, so it can never ever be a competent sim.

I agree. Been the same for 20 years. Whichever is the most niche and often the most difficult is claimed to be the most realistic. And most realistic = best game = more serious proper gamer. In that time I've even seen games lauded for being super realistic and rock hard, only for the difficulty to be revealed as bugs or input lag. But the "hardcore" were convinced.

Physics models vary, but without the fear of death and the lack of full physical feedback none of these games are really realistic. And that doesn't matter. How fun they are, that's the measure. And that's why I always prefer to talk of "convincing" rather than "realistic".

Some of today's console games have much more complex physics modelling - especially tire modelling - than games the "hardcore" were praising 10-15 years ago. But these games are popular, can be played from your couch, and are therefore garbage.

Physics models vary, but without the fear of death and the lack of full physical feedback none of these games are really realistic. And that doesn't matter. How fun they are, that's the measure. And that's why I always prefer to talk of "convincing" rather than "realistic".

Some of today's console games have much more complex physics modelling - especially tire modelling - than games the "hardcore" were praising 10-15 years ago. But these games are popular, can be played from your couch, and are therefore garbage.

I'm not even sure which games you are talking about. Is Assetto Corsa hard? Is it harder than rFactor 2? Is it's tire model really more complex than rFactor 1's - probably a little? You're not talking about Gran Turismo, right?

Yikes... You would think GTS is going to be the worst game ever based on what people say here. GTS gets shitted on in every thread. GAF really has it out for that game. Despite the positive impressions and analysis from the beta here on this forum and other sites.

fresquito

Yikes... You would think GTS is going to be the worst game ever based on what people say here. GTS getts shitted on in every thread. GAF really has it out for that game. Despite the positive impressions and analysis from the beta here on this forum and other sites.
Is it really that surprising? I mean, competition aside, what has GTSport to offer? Only real selling point is online and online is not big for the general public. At least the vocal part of it. Had GTSport not been a Sony exclusive or a GT, the game would be garnering zero attention around here.

Hell, PC2 has everything one can wish from a sim, in spades, and gets ignored systematically. I don't really know what you expected.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
GTS will easily outsell PC2 and FM7, dare I say both combined.

Reviews though..

Both?
Mate NO.

Forza will do atleast 2 million, plus the push from the XbX1 might get it some extra sales.

pCars 2 is releasing on XBX1, PS4 and PC 2 - 3 million copies is expected.

So you think GTS will make 5 million in the same time FM7 and pCars 2 take to get to that combined?

Yikes... You would think GTS is going to be the worst game ever based on what people say here. GTS gets shitted on in every thread. GAF really has it out for that game. Despite the positive impressions and analysis from the beta here on this forum and other sites.

Its just the worst of the 3 simish racers coming out this holiday season.

I don't know, in terms of features sure GT is behind but the actual car handling / physics and driving is exceptional in GT, something PD doesn't slack on, so it's not as easy to judge it, unless you don't care about that and just want features of course.

Physics / handling is of course important, but so is content. The severe lack of it in GTS is embarrassing. Even if they wanted to focus on just online, fine, but where is all the tracks and cars? What happened to all those premium models that PD said would be able to get a jumpstart and reuse on ps4 hardware? What happened to a much smaller dev cycle with the easier to use ps4 architecture? Kaz and the rest of PD are full of shit, just as they have been for the last 15 years.

I'll look forward to finally playing a full GT game on the Ps4 in another 4 years with re-used ps3 assets, probably right after the Ps5 comes out.

First PCars was great, but there was zero progression, and felt kinda sterile. If you're looking for a straight up sim the sequel would probably be a safe bet. Forza is GT if it didnt take a break, had a UI not out of the 19th century, and was pure joy to play catering to every possible fan of driving, with rewarding and fun progression. GT is still a big name, but its playing catchup to Forza. I think it has been completely outclassed. But if all you own is a PS4 its your best option if you like hybrid racers.

All 3 are solid driving series.

Sim:

PC2 > FM7 > GTS

General racing:

FM7 >= PC2 > GTS

The strategy taken by PD is quite strange. I'm glad they seem to be focusing on quality over quantity. The biggest issue I had with GT5/6... But four years into this gen before a game and it does appear to be a bit bare bones... I recall a certain launch title this gen getting destroyed by the community here for lacking content. I'm not sure how GTS will be received four years in. I'm personally in for Forza and F12017 day one. I really liked project cars but found myself having to mess with the settings constantly to get it playable on my wheel. I'm taking a wait and see approach with project cars 2. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually, but perhaps a patch or two is worth waiting for. As for GTS, if it really delivers in the quality aspect of gameplay then I'll finally pick up a PS4 and grab one. Racing games are my main focus and there has not yet been a reason to pick up a PS4 yet.

postaboy

Both?
Mate NO.

Forza will do atleast 2 million, plus the push from the XbX1 might get it some extra sales.

So you think GTS will make 5 million in the same time FM7 and pCars 2 take to get to that combined?

Its just the worst of the 3 simish racers coming out this holiday season.

I think GTS will outsell F7 and PC2 combined because GT5, GT6, GT5 prologue together sold like 23 million copies on the PS3. GT brand name is no joke in Europe.

Metfanant

my personal takes...

Gran Turismo Sport: Depending on how you talk to, it is either a reset of sorts for the franchise with a focus leaning towards making auto racing an esport like activity...heavily focused on online racing, and it seems that the old GT formula of grinding through the career earning credits and collecting cars is a thing of the past...

of course others will tell you that this is more of a spin off type game, and we will either see a proper GT7 at some point, or that Gran Turismo willl become somewhat of a game as a service type situation that may or may not have more single player content added later on...

Im buying it, but as someone that doesnt race online at all, im expecting to be thoroughly underwhelmed with the launch content...

Project Cars 2: There is a big online component here as well, but there is a much more fleshed out single player experience that gets BY FAR the closest of the 3 to acually simulating what its like to being an race car driver...you can join a race team, move between different levels of racing from carts all the way through formula 1...i loved the first game, and by all accounts the second one will be even better...this will also be by far the best SIMULATION of the three games...

Forza 7: I have not purchased an Xbone, so I have not played the most recent titles, but FM3 and 4 on the 360 were some of my absolute favorite games from last generation. Ironically, this game will be by far the closest of the 3 to the tried and true car collection/grinding formula that made Gran Turismo famous. The overall level of content will be unmatched by the other two...i've also always found the forza games to be the most forgiving of the three for more casual racers...this is not a knock, i love the driving in forza, but i've found its the easiest to pick up and play well...

Both?
Mate NO.

I think there is a more than decent chance GTS outsells them both combined...the GT name is a sales juggernaught...I also don't see the XboneX causing a big push in sales...i'd wager most X sales come from previous Xbone users...I don't see TOO MANY new users that have waited out this generation up to this point going out and purchasing the Xbox that is significantly more expensive...its a niche product, just like the PS4 Pro...so with that being said, you won't be getting thousands and thousands of new sales because of the X, just the same people that upgraded their Xbone to an XboneX...

Physics / handling is of course important, but so is content. The severe lack of it in GTS is embarrassing. Even if they wanted to focus on just online, fine, but where is all the tracks and cars? What happened to all those premium models that PD said would be able to get a jumpstart and reuse on ps4 hardware? What happened to a much smaller dev cycle with the easier to use ps4 architecture? Kaz and the rest of PD are full of shit, just as they have been for the last 15 years.

I'll look forward to finally playing a full GT game on the Ps4 in another 4 years with re-used ps3 assets, probably right after the Ps5 comes out.

Extra cars and tracks will be coming with DLC, and while it's not the best situation, it's how it is with some games these days.

If you don't like it, you have other options in Forza or PC 2. GT Sport will still be a solid game, even if it's not for you. Me I'm gonna enjoy all 3 for different reasons, I don't need to limit myself to just one of them.

Top Bottom