• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

khaaan

My humble collection.

reXPZvk.jpg

Not pictured: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. I recently bought a copy and the only thing I'm missing is a GBA, checking the market price it looks like they costs $40 a pop. The GBA SP doesn't have working shoulder buttons so I'll need to buy at least two more if I want to be able to play with my siblings.

What he said that thing is like gold, I've only seen it as low as $80 used. Its probably crazy high online.

*SIGH* I had 4 copies that I bought from Best Buy for $20 during a sale. I threw 3 on Goozex right away and kept one. Those 3 copies could have funded a purchase of Earthbound. :(

Bought most of my games used and disc only so i decided to go with regular purple DVD cases instead of the black official one's. I have NOTHING against black cases,i have plenty black cases for other games, just wanted to switch things up. Most of my covers are printed covers.

12 disc mini GC cases. I think i got these back in 2004.

Iacobellis

What? My Wavebird certainly does not...

From the OP:

"How many controller ports: four of them.
Personal recommendation: Use Wavebird controllers, those little devices are marvellous!
How do I save?: Memory Cards, works with 'blocks' units for saves. Many formats available.
Personal recommendation: Use Wavebird controllers, those little devices are marvellous!"

I don't know, but I don't remember it being any good. Probably a software emulator compared to the GPB's hardware emulation.

Fun fact: the following GC discs have software emulation on them.

Animal Crossing (NES)
Fight Night Round 2 (SNES) (unconfirmed, but how else are they running Super Punch Out?)
Zelda OoT Master Quest (N64)
Zelda Collector's Edition (NES, N64)
Pokemon Box (GBA)
Naruto Collection (Japan, hard to find but not necessarily worth a lot of money) (GBA)

Then of course there's the Midway Arcade Treasures discs etc.

Another fun fact: Zelda Collector's Edition contains the full Wind Waker disc for the demo. People have corrupted it to start at the beginning of the full game. I think you can't collect items so you can't beat it, though. A hack could probably fix that but WW is around $20 so it's not worth anyone's time to investigate.

I had no idea! That's really surprising.

Yay gamecube thread. No collection pics but some other random pics I have...
I also love the two tone discs. Its a shame later on with the Wii Nintendo switched to printed (ironically most people say the two tone looks cheap but the coloured labels look cheap to me).

I'm not actively collecting, sure there are some gaps I'd like to fill but to be honest I'm looking almost in the opposite direction, trying to ditch a few games.

Instead, holding B lets you switch from 576i50 (the default for PAL games) to 480i60 in some games.
Its a similar number to 480p. i.e. the Gamecube had good 60Hz support. Sure there were a few turds out there like Luigi's Mansion (is this sluggish though? its got content not seen in other versions...), Animal Crossing (yeah, really shows in the NES games...) and Tales of Symphonia (replaced with US version...profited too...for a game with such emphasis on combat its a great decision)

And I must be the only member who got R: Racing Evolution for the Cube (at least Pac-Man Vs. was a nice bonus)
I got it too.
never played Pac-Man vs.

Sold my component cable on ebay for $150! You collector types are nuts. Cheaper to just get a Wii to play them in 480p ;)
The video quality is worse going down that route. Though depends on if your setup will be sensitive to it.

Probably RGB/SCART. Even if the resolution is not improved the actual picture will be over coax/composite.

Likewise, for NA if somebody is not willing to splurge on component cables they should go with S-Video.
Indeed, here is my terribad comparison:
And here is a much better comparison somebody else did between composite and S-video:
S-video is on the bottom. Look at how much the HUD is improved.

Depends, there are a few GC games you can't play on Wii, I think. Like Four Swords, Crystal Chronicles. Dunno about the PSO games.
I'm fairly sure Gamecube advances work when plugged into the Gamecube controller ports on a Wii.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In addition to no 480p support, PAL Gamecubes don't Support S-Video either, but they do support RGB. NTSC Gamecubes don't support RGB, but they support S-Video. Both PAL and NTSC Gamecubes support YPbPr (Component video), but as mentioned before the PAL ones won't do 480p over component.

Correct me if I have any of that wrong.

PAL Gamecubes do 480p just fine, it's just that PAL Gamecube games don't support it (instead, they often let you switch between 576i50 and 480i60). An NTSC GCN game in a PAL GCN will output 480p (of course, this requires bypassing the region lock).

Seik

Banned
Anyone could give me, if it exists of course, a comparison of GC-Component vs Wii-Component? I'd be interested to see the differences.

If there's none out there, maybe someone here with a capture device could get some comparison shots done, I'd add it to the OP. :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Anyone could give me, if it exists of course, a comparison between GC-Component vs Wii-Component? I'd be interested to see the differences.

I post it in every thread where it's even remotely applicable, was only a matter of time till I dumped it here, too ^_^

Camera's not out of focus or anything dumb like that.

Gamecube looks great. Wii is a blurry piece of shit. The GC component cables are expensive, but it's clearly the route to go if you wanna actually enjoy the games.

Slermy

Anyone could give me, if it exists of course, a comparison of GC-Component vs Wii-Component? I'd be interested to see the differences.

If there's none out there, maybe someone here with a capture device could get some comparison shots done, I'd add it to the OP. :)

I'd be curious to see this as well. I've always felt the GC had better image quality than the Wii. Not sure if it was gamma or what, it just looks better.

EDIT: Damn, what a difference!

Seik

Banned
I post it in every thread where it's even remotely applicable, was only a matter of time till I dumped it here, too ^_^

Gamecube looks great. Wii is a blurry piece of shit. The GC component cables are expensive, but it's clearly the route to go if you wanna actually enjoy the games.

Wow, I must admit, the difference is there. o_o

EDIT: Added in the OP.

From the OP:

I just made the correction, sorry, my bad. I wanted to switch that line under the 'controller ports' line but forgot to erase the other one. :p

Anth0ny

All we need now is the N64 thread!

My baby:

My games:

-Super Smash Bros Melee
-Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
-The Legend of Zelda: Collection Disc
-The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
-F-Zero GX
-Pokemon Colosseum
-Mario Kart Double Dash
-Mario Party 4
-Mario Power Tennis
-Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
-Pikmin
-Pikmin 2
-REmake
-Resident Evil 0
-Resident Evil 4
-Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
-Sonic Adventure DX
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
-Sonic Mega Collection
-Sonic Gems Collection
-Sonic Heroes
-Soul Calibur 2
-Spider-Man 2
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
-Star Fox Adventures
-Metroid Prime

I feel like my Gamecube collection is the most solid of all of my consoles. Lots of fantastic games right there. PS2 ain't got shit on this!

What are some big titles I'm missing, GAF?

Hi,

Although I never owned this model I'm posting a picture of the awesome Panasonic Q.

PanasonicQ.jpg

The Q actually played retail movie DVD's and audio CD's as well as Nintendo Gamecube games.

Myself personally, I have a launch Japanese Gamecube (purple) and a launch US Gamecube (black).

You've got to be kidding me. I saw one of those at goodwill last month. I had no idea what it was or what it's worth

emb

Loving the retro gaf threads. And what a great system! The GCN is the first system that really made me want to start collecting... mostly because before that, all the boxes I ever had were cardboard ones that I stupidly threw away. Then eventually I grabbed all four of my Cube games, stacked them up to pick out which to play, and noticed how nice it looked. And how nice it would look if there were a bunch more all lined up together. I'll post a couple shots of my collection in a few days when I'm back home. It's not too small, but not huge or comprehensive either.

I've been playing a bit of the old purple lunchbox lately. F-Zero GX is so cool. I mistakenly thought coming back to it ten years later would mean I'd do better though, lol. I did beat a couple more chapters of the story, but I still can't for the life of me finish the last race of the middle (sapphire?) grand prix without falling off at some point. I also totally forgot that you have to buy story chapters in the shop, and panicked when one didn't unlock right away.

My baby: [pic]

. . .

Nice hardware! Did they make an orange GB player or is that custom?

Animal Crossing, PSO (unless you prefer it on DC), Star Fox Assault (pretty good game actually, I recommend it), Metroid Prime 2 (just as good as the first), Pokemon XD (though I'm missing it too, not sure how worth it it is...), Viewtiful Joe games (for sure, though maybe you played them on PS2), Baten Kaitoses, Ikaruga, Mega Man Network Transmission (blends battle network and normal 2D MM games), and FE as said.

Koodo

Banned
What an iconic system and era. ;-;

I had to sell a bunch of my collection when I moved to Canada, but I kept the GEMS. I do regret parting ways with F-Zero GX though, not sure what went through my mind at the time.

The multiplayer memories with Super Smash Bros Melee and Double Dash. The sheer ART that was Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. Just to name a few of the ICONIC experiences. Will Nintendo ever slay us like this again? The whole vibe during that era was so fresh and experimental.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
http://abload.de/img/dsc00364j6zs4.jpg[/QUOTE]

Ooof. Nice.

I've got some great Gamecube stuff I did in Dolphin that I think would be cool here, but it seems like everyone here wants to stay faithful to the hardware so I might just leave it out.

Zebra

Bought most of my games used and disc only so i decided to go with regular purple DVD cases instead of the black official one's. I have NOTHING against black cases,i have plenty black cases for other games, just wanted to switch things up. Most of my covers are printed covers.

The purple looks great, I think Nintendo should have gone with that color instead of black.

oatmeal

Banned

My paltry collection, I was a buying and trading in fiend back then.

All I have now is:

Paper Mario: TTYD
Metroid Prime 2
MVP Baseball 2005
Eternal Darkness
3x Legend of Zelda: Collector's Editions (Two sealed)
Ocarina/Master Quest (but I was dumb and put in a custom cover and chucked the original...makes it look like shiiiiit)
Twilight Princess (Sealed)
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Pikmin 2
Wave Race

Then out of the box, I have Medal of Honor Frontline and 2x Metroid Bonus Disks (not sure why).

At the Smith's near me, they used to have a gaming vending machine and they had stacks of Metroid Prime Trilogies...20 each. I still can't believe I didn't empty them out. Fuck.

Lynd7

I'll post some pics a bit later. But, I did ring Nintendo Australia and have now ordered some GameCube component cables. It seemed as though I could have ordered more than 1 as well.

Also, I still don't like how the U.S Cube game spines look. Its strange.

Wow, that's incredible! I wonder if the difference will be anywhere near that big with PAL games that can't do progressive scan. Guess I'll find out if I can track down some cables.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, did a quick scan of Ebay... some people are trying to pawn a new set of component cables for $230+ now. Guess I'm glad I bought 'em a year ago. Even though so far, I've only used them to play Twilight Princess. Really need to get some more use out of them.

Just called NAL and the guy doesn't think they have any component cables left, though he's going to check and give me a call back, fingers crossed!

VXLbeast

I've already got it. Did you mean the Criterion one? Eh... I miss the old NFS games. Criterion just isn't scratching that itch for me.

Nope, not the Criterion one. That does nothing for me, I'm afraid.

eZOz67R.jpg

Does anyone own this edition of The Wind Waker? I've seen them go for pretty cheap on Ebay in the past, no idea how the prices are now though.

That's gorgeous. Anybody remember that if you pre-ordered Wind Waker the bonus was Ocarina of Time on GC? Talk about a pre-order bonus.

Also, did anyone play the Clone Wars game? Looking back, it was just alright. But I had stupid amounts of fun with the multiplayer in that game.

Edit: Also dat Wii Vs. Gamecube comparison. I wouldn't have imagined the difference to be that big.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My Gamecube backlog is pretty monstrous. I beat Wario World for the first time this year, but I wonder if I'll ever find the time with all my other games. Cubivore, Baten Kaitos, Viewtiful Joe and Lost Kingdoms still left to beat.

My collection is 60 games. A few weird titles like Donkey Konga (1) from Japan, which is the reason I hard modded my Gamecube. Also Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Oddly enough, I don't have some common titles like Metroid Prime 2.

I don't know how much it's worth, but I have Wavebird with an exclusive velvet blue bag with a logo on it from E3; Won playing Mario Party 4. It's probably the only thing you could call really care in my collection.

I don't have a huge collection, but I'll have to get a pic of it later. That being said, while I don't consider the GameCube the greatest system (actually the only Nintendo system I don't like more is the N64), it was the last system I was genuinely excited about before it launched. Part of that was because I was 18/19 at the time, but still fun times.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I enjoyed GCN games even while using composite cables. I must be remembering wrong.

Also, did anyone play the Clone Wars game? Looking back, it was just alright. But I had stupid amounts of fun with the multiplayer in that game.

I rented it when it came out and thought it was a pretty fun game. Since I didn't finish it the first time, when I got Gamefly in 2008 I rented it again, not sure why I thought it was such a fun game the first time around. It's not bad or anything, just an average movie license game.

Zebra

I rented it when it came out and thought it was a pretty fun game. Since I didn't finish it the first time, when I got Gamefly in 2008 I rented it again, not sure why I thought it was such a fun game the first time around. It's not bad or anything, just an average movie license game.

This is how I felt after picking up the Robotech gamecube game recently.

Go319

I'll post some pics a bit later. But, I did ring Nintendo Australia and have now ordered some GameCube component cables. It seemed as though I could have ordered more than 1 as well.

Also, I still don't like how the U.S Cube game spines look. Its strange.

hmmmm the lady i spoke with was very insistant that i could only order one per household...

but glad to hear you got a set too!

Lynd7

hmmmm the lady i spoke with was very insistant that i could only order one per household...

but glad to hear you got a set too!

The guy asked the amount I wanted. Also, my account hasn't been charged yet, does it take them awhile to process the orders?

Go319

The guy asked the amount I wanted. Also, my account hasn't been charged yet, does it take them awhile to process the orders?

yeah took a week in total, i think i got charged the next day.

i may get another cable for my second cube if they have changed their minds lol

Just got the call back from NAL, and they are sending me a set too.
My card's not been charged, but glad to hear yours took a day Go319, as I was starting to get anxious.

I have been wanting these cables for years, I can't believe I never just tried calling NAL to see if they had any left.

The guy did imply that they only had a small amount left, and mentioned other people calling about it :p

Sushigod7

ahh damn these threads, just when I want to stop buying games this pops up and reminds me I need more GC games. I did just get Star Wars Rebel Strike yesterday should have it later in the week. I'll shoot a picture of my collection then, I buy a new game when I can find them cheap still need to get a fair amount but I'm happy with my collection so far.

edit: Anyone know of a good arcade stick for the system?

alf717

My favorite GC game.
If you don't have this, you're doing it wrong.

D8Vl6Q0.jpg

Playing this game for the first time was such a great experience. I played the original and this was just so much better but I still enjoy the original just as much. The atmosphere was so good and really gave it that creepy mansion feel. They hit the nail on the head with this version and it really is the definitive version of the first Resident Evil. So so good. Why oh why can't we have Resident Evil games made just like REmake. I was so excited back when they announced the Capcom Five. I was looking forward to Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes in the same fashion of REmake but it never happened and probably never will. I would day dream about things like how Leon would look all jazzed up in his RPD uniform using the power of the GC or if they would add in removed features like the ones that were originally in 1.5. Even if it did I don't think it will be the same not without Mikami at the helm.

entremet

All we need now is the N64 thread!

My baby:

My games:

-Super Smash Bros Melee
-Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
-The Legend of Zelda: Collection Disc
-The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
-F-Zero GX
-Pokemon Colosseum
-Mario Kart Double Dash
-Mario Party 4
-Mario Power Tennis
-Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
-Pikmin
-Pikmin 2
-REmake
-Resident Evil 0
-Resident Evil 4
-Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
-Sonic Adventure DX
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
-Sonic Mega Collection
-Sonic Gems Collection
-Sonic Heroes
-Soul Calibur 2
-Spider-Man 2
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
-Star Fox Adventures
-Metroid Prime

I feel like my Gamecube collection is the most solid of all of my consoles. Lots of fantastic games right there. PS2 ain't got shit on this!

No Luigi's Mansion?!

C'mon, son!

Others to recommend.

Super Monkey Ball 1/2, before the series went to the crapper, plus Monkey target is one of the best party games ever.
Chibi Robo. Overlooked 1st party gem.

Izick

I'll say it because nobody else will:

best Nintendo console of all time.

The NES and N64 holds special places in my heart (I was a Genesis guy; I came to appreciate the SNES later on) but the Nintendo Gamecube just has the best overall library of games, in my opinion.

Of the generation it was in:

-Best non-simulation racing game (F-Zero GX)
-Best party game (Smash Bros.)
-Best Platformer (Sunshine was damn good)
-Lots of innovative titles (Killer 7)
-Best TPS (Resident Evil 4)
-Best versions of some games (Soulcalibur IV)

Maybe even the best game of the generation in RE 4 as well?

Just an amazing machine that usually never gets its due.

Top Bottom