• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Baleoce

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance

If this paragraph becomes official, then I have little reason to stay on this platform. I'll just put my resources into upgrading my PC.

brau

I really hope they come up with a trade in deal where people that already spent $400 on the first PS4 get a good deal out of it. I would pay $100 and trade my PS4 for a new version of it.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.
giphy.gif

androvsky

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.
... okay, since they're taking feedback apparently...

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
That's a hot load of crap. And I'm generally in favor of an upgraded PS4.

Elandyll

Banned
They might as well go all in at $499 with GPU & CPU upgrade, and keeping the PS4 @$299. One system aiming at 1080p, the other squarely marketed for 4K, both playing the same games (some optimized for PS4K, most not and just upscaled).

Still taking this all with a grain of salt, no offense.

bitbydeath

Damn, Sony need to formally announce this already. Also if you're going to break with better tech then go all in with the $599.

Eolz

Even if I believe you on some points, this sounds like something vague being told to retailers, like when manufacturers say something about devkits and the final version actually can't run your game...

Well

Thanks for spoiling Sony's E3 2016 press conference
e5YuU.gif

Ahahahah

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So much this. This is just going to absolutely fuck any point in owning a console.

Yep. The whole appeal to consoles for me has been knowing I could buy a box and know that I'd have a machine that would play every game released for it fine for 5+ years.

If they're going to do incremental upgrades, and make me hassle with seeing how games run on the older hardware, I see know point in sticking with consoles. Especially when console game prices are so much higher than PC game prices as the digital sales on the consoles just aren't comparable.

Neiteio

My main concern is transferring stuff off my current HDD. How easy would it be to port over all of my capture footage, pics, etc?

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer.

Surprising exactly no one with a remotely functioning brain.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't imagine this being anywhere near as successful as they hope it to be.

MaulerX

Current games won't have performance enhancements unless they are patched on a per game per Dev basis? Ok that blows right there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, shit O_O

So why isn't this a PS5 exactly?

A 2x GPU FLOP increase with a clock speed upgrade isn't exactly PS3 -> PS4 level.

This is about a half-generation upgrade, which makes sense given it's 3 years into the generation instead of 6.

If you've ever wanted to have the PC-esque experience of upgrading your hardware mid generation, this is a pretty good fit. You should see appreciable gains, but don't expect a full on generation leap.

danowat

Banned
Your console doesn't get weaker because of a new stronger version.
No, it doesn't, what it does mean though is that you are going to have to suffer much poorer performance in any new titles that are released, who wants that? Devs aren't going to target the lower spec machine.

FTF

Fuuuuuuuu

If God of War 4 is gimped on regular PS4s I'm going to be pissed!

I don't want to buy another ps4 so soon but I also want the best versions of my favorite games/franchises!

Get more mixed feelings about this as each day goes by :/

Wow that does sound like a significant boost in power. Still wonder if there will be an upgrade program of any kind for those with the old PS4, doubt it, but that's likely the only way I'll upgrade immediately. Also, still wonder if the adoption rate will be enough to prevent the PS4K from having the same fate of the DSi or New 3DS though.

KingBroly

Banned
It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

This is what people don't want to happen, yet they're seemingly already going to do it.

If true, this is Sony taking a giant dump on its early adopters, while knowing that a lot of them are so invested in the ecosystem that they'll compulsively upgrade to the latest tech.

Skelter

Banned
Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.

I'll sell my current PS4 and buy a PS4K gladly. Much better than just getting a Samsung UHD player.

MK_768

Typical Sony. Once they get on people's good graces they fuck it up a bit with nonsense like this(if it's true).

Happened with going from PS2 to PS3 and now this. I mean whatever. I'll stick to my PS4.

Hawk269

A better CPU would cause it to go up $100.00??? That sounds very odd to me. Especially if the suggestion that the GPU is twice as powerful and it is $399.99? That seems like a high price increase for a better CPU.

But honestly, fuck it. Put that fucker in it and charge $499.99. No compromises this time. If the GPU is twice as powerful, they need a CPU that wont starve the GPU. If they are going full throttle on this thing, they need to improve the CPU as the current one is a piece of shit.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

So I have no other choice than buying it.

Top Bottom