• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just co-oped with someone and watched them get eaten by a mimic, lol. He seemed new to Anor Londo, so I was gesturing, but didn't want to attack it first, you have to learn these things for yourself right?!

Also, I did quite a lot of co-op in Blighttown the other day and was surprised how many people seemed to run to the boulder throwing giants on the way to Quelaag rather than avoid them - it seemed like they summon for the boss, and wanted to go straight there, so it wasn't like they wanted to clear/explore the area. I always try and use gestures to help where possible.

Sajjaja

How the heck do people pull off lag stabs.... ITS SO GOD DAMN ANNOYING! I absolutely hate it. Yet it always seems to be done to me....

As for blight town....I never explored it. I always go through the back entrance because of how annoying it is and the fps drops...

Derrick01

Banned
Ugh tomb of the giants was such a giant asshole bastard place. Worst place in the game by far. I ended up just skipping treasures I saw just to find the boss, thankfully he was relatively easy.

Derrick01

Banned
I did it coop. Easy lol.

Well yeah anything should be easy with more people. The place itself isn't so bad it's the fact that I can't see and have to run around with a lantern in my shield slot hoping something doesn't slaughter me when I turn a corner.

edit: Also those damn 4 legged skeletons. Those god. damn. skeletons >.<

demigod

Well yeah anything should be easy with more people. The place itself isn't so bad it's the fact that I can't see and have to run around with a lantern in my shield slot hoping something doesn't slaughter me when I turn a corner.

I'm loving my Sunlight Maggot. Also just got Quelaag's Furysword, looks tight.

maomaoIYP

How the heck do people pull off lag stabs.... ITS SO GOD DAMN ANNOYING! I absolutely hate it. Yet it always seems to be done to me....

As for blight town....I never explored it. I always go through the back entrance because of how annoying it is and the fps drops...

Nobody does lab stabs on purpose. On their screen when they stabbed you, you were standing back towards them in backstabbing range.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Nobody does lab stabs on purpose. On their screen when they stabbed you, you were standing back towards them in backstabbing range.

I admire your faith in your fellow man, but it is possible to manipulate lag to your advantage.

I hesitate to say that it is particularly prevalent, but it is most definitely possible.

maomaoIYP

I admire your faith in your fellow man, but it is possible to manipulate lag to your advantage.

I hesitate to say that it is particularly prevalent, but it is most definitely possible.

You mean like with a lag switch? When one party is lagging, it's equally possible for both players to lag stab isn't it? That's why when the game detects that both players have hit each other at the same time, like a thorn roll vs a backstab, the backstab is cancelled. Hence the host doesn't have a consistent host advantage.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm playing demons right now and the times I've been invaded it's eerie similar to dark, lag and all. even the infamous backstab out of nowhere is there, also the no damage backstab.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
You mean like with a lag switch? When one party is lagging, it's equally possible for both players to lag stab isn't it? That's why when the game detects that both players have hit each other at the same time, like a thorn roll vs a backstab, the backstab is cancelled. Hence the host doesn't have a consistent host advantage.

I'm assuming a lag switch is some means of manipulating packet transmission, in which case yes, that's the basic idea. There are plenty of ways to do it, but if done right the only one lagging is you, and you're only lagging from your opponent's point of view.

I don't think it's remotely common, and in all my time playing Dark Souls the only person I can confidently say was doing it was the dude who camped the Lower Undead Burg and killed his victims before he even spawned. The lack of regional restrictions on invasions and the game's peer-to-peer nature are more than enough to account for the touchy nature of the game's online component, there's really no need to ascribe its oddities to malice. But it's possible.

On a rather more practical note, though, the whole reason pivot backstabs are so effective is that they can happen faster than latency, and learning how to perform them is, in effect, taking advantage of lag. I suspect that they're the cause of a lot of the getting-backstabbed-from-the-front complaints.

I hated the laggy back-stab in Demons Souls too. I was hoping they'd get rid of the back-stab bonus in PvP for Dark Souls. Eventually you learn to just never stand around with your shield up. Just 2-hand your weapon, stay back, look for an open, jump, dive and slice.

maomaoIYP

The lack of regional restrictions on invasions and the game's peer-to-peer nature are more than enough to account for the touchy nature of the game's online component, there's really no need to ascribe its oddities to malice. But it's possible.

On a rather more practical note, though, the whole reason pivot backstabs are so effective is that they can happen faster than latency, and learning how to perform them is, in effect, taking advantage of lag. I suspect that they're the cause of a lot of the getting-backstabbed-from-the-front complaints.

Well, I've been blamed for everything under the sun when it comes to lag stabs. But the truth is, I get lag stabbed as much as I apparently dish it out. I just accept that as a drawback to the peer to peer nature of the mp.

The truth of it is this: your opponent has somehow maneuvered himself such that his back is facing you, are you not going to take the stab?

elohel

Ugh tomb of the giants was such a giant asshole bastard place. Worst place in the game by far. I ended up just skipping treasures I saw just to find the boss, thankfully he was relatively easy.

I loved totg

has one of the coolest vistas in the game

bummer it's easier now :(

terrifying place one of the reasons I love the souls series

Sajjaja

Am I the only one that gets the heebee jeebees from the Painted world?

Also, I'm going to take a break from DS. Tired of it for now. Gonna get on my backlog starting with Crack in Time.

Is the Black Knight armour worth upgrading? I am using +9 Elite Armour and its great, but I fancy a change and the armour looks so badass! :) It's quite heavy though, would have to go beyond Level 45 which I am on at the moment for equip load etc.

OK guys I need a bit of help. Made a huge mistake when ascending weapons for the rare weapons trophy and accidentally made two cursed Greatswords of Artorias. I'm on new game+ as of now so this means I'd have to go to new game +++ to get the trophy, as I need two more Sif souls (one for non cursed greatsword made from broken straight sword and one for greatshield of Artorias). Those two items plus the Great Lord Greatsword are all I need for the trophy.

I would really appreciate it if anyone would let me hold those three items (non cursed Greatsword of Artorias, Greatshield of Artorias, Great Lord Greatsword) real quick so the trophy pops. If you need to hold any other items for the trophy, I can oblige in return. I'm soul level 115 on PS3 sitting at the end of NG+. PSN is "Mass Xtortion". Thanks!

Robot Pants

So I killed gywndolin in anor londo and now the fire keeper is pissed at me. Well she was, I had to kill her. But I was wondering if I could have gone to Oswald of Carim, absolved my sins and she would have gone back to normal? Does that not work in this particular case? Anyone know?

Edit: should have searched first. Yea it works if you absolve sins. Wish I had thought of that before. Oh well next time.

Derrick01

Banned
So I killed gywndolin in anor londo and now the fire keeper is pissed at me. Well she was, I had to kill her. But I was wondering if I could have gone to Carim, absolved my sins and she would have gone back to normal? Does that not work in this particular case? Anyone know?

Edit: should have searched first. Yea it works if you absolve sins. Wish I had thought of that before. Oh well next time.

I don't know about the fire keeper but supposedly you're perma-cursed if you take out gwyndolin.

Luckily for some reason I couldn't find the fire keeper when I did that. She wasn't in her original spot and she wasn't near the door to gywndolin so I didn't have to risk killing her.

Not a big deal to kill him, in fact I almost always do to get his uchigatana. See if he left that by his corpse if you reload.
i see i see. i'm not even sure where he died to be honest, i was just running away, and i got automatic drops popup and when i backtraced i couldn't find him. no uchigatana in my inventory though, but ah well.

I don't think Undead Merchant sells anything you can't get anywhere else does he?

You can buy Uchigatanas from the Forest guy when he's in Blighttown too.

Sullichin

I don't think Undead Merchant sells anything you can't get anywhere else does he?

You can buy Uchigatanas from the Forest guy when he's in Blighttown too.

The residence key in the burg, and the orange soapstone. And if you don't have the bottomless box you'll have to wait until Domhall to get it.

AEGISX

Banned
Is the Black Knight armour worth upgrading? I am using +9 Elite Armour and its great, but I fancy a change and the armour looks so badass! :) It's quite heavy though, would have to go beyond Level 45 which I am on at the moment for equip load etc.
I upgraded it full because it looks totally badass. It's the best armor set against fire based attacks.

It's so weird going back to this game and starting fresh after not touching it since my near-launch obsession. It's every bit as incredible as I remember but I definitely feel like the game plays somewhat differently after the massive patch that hit at the end of last year. The increased souls gained from killing enemies in particular makes things feel much easier to me, and it's crazy how much faster you gain humanity as well. And of course, the first time I saw "Victory Achieved" I felt a little sad but I guess I'll adjust to the proper English eventually.

Still, this is my favorite game ever and I feel my passion for the game rekindling (hehe) after a solid 3 hours spent with it last night. I think I'll try a strength build out and see what some of those crazy big weapons are like to use since I never got around to doing that before.

Also, the Black Knight Halberd is still my favorite weapon. It's just so fun to use.

Anyway, why is this game still so much better than anything else I could be playing? I just can't get over how great it is, even this long after it initially hit.

New duping glitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ED3w3az2Eg

Requirement is that you already have 100 (1+ held, 99 stored) of the item you want to dupe. So unless you've been muled, it's really only useful for duping Humanity and saving trips to vendors.

Actually you need to at least hold 2 on yourself and 99 in bank.

its so unpratical, they probably wont even patch it

This is bigger news for PS3 side but collecting 101 of certain items can be a pain. I did it yesterday with Humanity and fed 97 of them to Frampt to get 97K souls. Go back to the bonfire and do it again. Faster way to level until you are able to get 101 Gywn souls lol

lol i seem to like screwing myself over a lot when it comes to npcs...

so i was going through the darkroot garden(?) and killed some human-like monsters which game me a ton of souls, and then came across some talking cat npc. wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying or asking as i had finding a fireplace on my mind to spend the souls i just go. she asked me some question which i forgot what it was, but i said "no" thinking i could just come back and say "yes" later. but now she appears to not give me the same option anymore and instead just refuses to talk to me.

so what did i screw myself out of this time?

Derrick01

Banned

so i was going through the darkroot garden(?) and killed some human-like monsters which game me a ton of souls, and then came across some talking cat npc. wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying or asking as i had finding a fireplace on my mind to spend the souls i just go. she asked me some question which i forgot what it was, but i said "no" thinking i could just come back and say "yes" later. but now she appears to not give me the same option anymore and instead just refuses to talk to me.

A covenant that would have made those annoying human NPCs in that area of the forest not attack you anymore. I think the main purpose of that particular covenant is you equip the ring and in that part of the forest you can do PVP. But it's a huge camp zone by high level players and you usually get destroyed seconds after spawning since they wait for you.

MechaX

Well, you might have locked yourself out of the forest covenant for the time being. You can get the Dark Wood Grain Ring that lets you flip around instead of roll and lets you sprint at full speed as long as you are equip-burdened below 50%.

Try going to the Pardoner in the area before the Gargoyle bosses and get an absolution, and see if that helps.

If it works, all you are going to do is join the covenant, kick an invisible guy that is next to Shiva of the East (guy in gold armor around where the cat is) off a cliff, quit game, reload, take ring, and that's it. And you can request for another absolution if you want to rejoin the covenant, provided that you don't go back and talk to the cat again after that.

Zertez

its so unpratical, they probably wont even patch it
With the box glitch already widespread, they probably dont care. With trading people have already used that glitch to max slabs or whatever they wanted. Many people have played enough to max slabs legit anyways though. You can find people who will drop all kinds of slabs for free now. At this point I dont see how duping can hurt the game any worse than the box glitch has.

Darkwraith invades, I rush up to hit him with my BKGA and he ripostes my ass and kills me in one hit. Never been owned that hard in pvp. The guy didn't even have to move.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow the demon ruins bosses were easy as hell for the most part. I had a way tougher time with the capra demon and taurus demon knockoffs than them. The worms were a pain in the ass too. 1 at a time was ok but I got to a point where I was trapped by 2 in front and 2 behind me and that just wasn't happening. I managed to squeeze in between the 2 behind me when it curled up to attack me and escape lol

Robot Pants

Tomb of the Giants is beaten.
Although I'm missing the Divine Ember.

God I don't want to go back.

Divine Ember is actually in Dark Root Garden. All the way up after the Moon-oh....you mean the Large Divine Ember. Yea that one is such a pain in the ass to get. Luckily it's right towards the beginning of the area. I'd recommend Hush spell (or Slumbering Dragon Ring) and the Hidden Body (or Fog Ring). Just run in there and grab that sucker and high tail it out.

Sajjaja

I think that you are all forgetting that the Undead Merchant in Undead Burg is the only guy to sell Lloyd Talismans, and that shit is super useful (in PVP).

I am going for the weapon trophies now and there is a bunch of weapon types I haven't used:

Magic
Enchanted
Chaos
Fire
Occult

Where would these come in handy? I've never had any issues with the weapons I used throughout the game (mainly a Lightning Claymore, Quelaag Fury and Man-Serpant Greatsword). Am I missing out?

edit: For info, when I was at Ruins I cursed my weapon with something so I could attack the ghosts.

Robot Pants

Honestly, My Int is at 40 and no magic or enchanted +5 weapon has ever come close to being as powerful as my lighting +5 weapon. Divine was good for the Catacombs, and Occult I haven't really seen much use for yet.
So in my experience, Lightning just seems to be the best by far. Someone else probably knows more about it though.

Quikies83

Anyone (PS3) down for some co-op? I have a SL 57 and really need to knock out ToG and Lost Izalith. I'm also tossing around the idea of starting up a new character...

Derrick01

Banned
Ugh between those 2 ridiculous arms on bed of chaos and my inability to perform an un-panicked leap I'm really hating this boss. Such a looooong run back to the boss too.

I think that you are all forgetting that the Undead Merchant in Undead Burg is the only guy to sell Lloyd Talismans, and that shit is super useful (in PVP).
:(

i guess i'll just use this character as a first run for the storyline, and then start a new character.

quick question: are critical hits only when the backstab or riposte animation kicks in? i kind of want to be a dagger thief for my secondary character, but i'm noticing that you can't seem to backstab a lot of the bigger monsters. will a thiefs damage output be gimped because of this? or does simply attacking from the back cause criticals as well?

Derrick01

Banned
Just beat the game. Last fight was so damn easy with a melee character, didn't die once and didn't get below half health.

Finished at SL 92 at just under 38 hours of game time.

krakov

Honestly, My Int is at 40 and no magic or enchanted +5 weapon has ever come close to being as powerful as my lighting +5 weapon. Divine was good for the Catacombs, and Occult I haven't really seen much use for yet.
So in my experience, Lightning just seems to be the best by far. Someone else probably knows more about it though.

Enchanted/Occult is pretty good for bows if you use moonlight arrows, other than that I'd rather go elemental or +15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom