• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Jedi is the cover of EW's Fall Movie Preview (light spoilers)

I'm still getting a "she's a nobody" vibe from all this, so I'm sticking to it. If I'm wrong come December, then... oh wait, then nothing because it doesn't matter.

Edit: Reading over the article again, it is perfectly written so that each person could read it and think it supports his or her individual theory.
Bravo, EW. Bravo.

-griffy-

Banned
This article, obviously, won’t spoil anything. The theory I’m holding onto is still this one.

Hmm.

Rian Johnson did offer his thoughts on a related question: How much does Rey’s past matter — or is this a tangent fans have obsessed over unnecessarily?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Ridley says Rey will ultimately find the answer — and discover that it doesn’t matter that much. It won’t change who she is, or at least who she wants to be.

HMMMMMMMM.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Leia is the mom, that's why she hugged her first. Shes a love child from another relationship after Han left.

It's why Kylo kinda recognizes her.

*taps finger to head*

-griffy-

Banned
000263241hr_full-length.jpg

ep8-ff-000871_full-length.jpg
Full pics.

Boyega hinting we'll find out more about Finn's background is a bit surprising to me. I didn't really expect them to explore that much, even if it is just in IX.

Surfinn

That was a really interesting article.

I like the idea that "it won't matter that much". So whatever happens, maybe JJ gets his wish of "anyone can be a hero", which is really intriguing. I'm hoping this eventually leads to her being a nobody (if not a Skywalker/Kenobi/another known lineage).

But.. anything can happen, come December.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That was a really interesting article.

I like the idea that "it won't matter that much". So whatever happens, maybe JJ gets his wish of "anyone can be a hero", which is really intriguing. I'm hoping this eventually leads to her being a nobody (if not a Skywalker/Kenobi/another known lineage).

But.. anything can happen, come December.

I think she probably is Luke's kid but that he will not force some Skywalker destiny, Chosen One crap on her. He will let her choose her own path and trust her to do what's right. He will not do what Ben and Yoda did, he will not tell her a bunch of lies and try to force her to murder someone. Luke only beat the Emperor by explicitly refusing to follow Yoda and Ben's instructions, and I think after what happened with Kylo, it makes sense that Luke would want the Jedi to end. They have caused nothing but trouble and done some terrible things.

Surfinn

I think she probably is Luke's kid but that he will not force some Skywalker destiny, Chosen One crap on her. He will let her choose her own path and trust her to do what's right. He will not do what Ben and Yoda did, he will not tell her a bunch of lies and try to force her to murder someone. Luke only beat the Emperor by explicitly refusing to follow Yoda and Ben's instructions, and I think after what happened with Kylo, it makes sense that Luke would want the Jedi to end. They have caused nothing but trouble and done some terrible things.

Good post. It could actually be somewhat of an inverse in that Rey is able to help and inspire Luke to complete his journey. Maybe she gives him hope and helps him eventually fully discover who he is (which is, from my understanding, the question that brought him on on the project in the first place.. "Who is Luke Skywalker?").

Maybe she proves that you can still be a Skywalker and pave a brand new path and not have to carry all their fucking baggage.

watershed

Banned
She's nobody's kid. Her family isn't important. TFA made this clear. Johnson is absolutely right. It's a fanboy obsession that has no bearing on the story being told by the filmmakers.

Tookay

Thank God, we can move past this incredibly obnoxious theory-crafting with regards to her lineage soon.

It's probably going to disappoint some fans but making her a nobody is the best story route to take.

Rootbeer

Banned
Rather she is or isn't related to Luke or anyone similarly big in the SW universe, they are doing a good job of keeping it secret. Once the inevitable book and other printed product leaks start coming in the weeks ahead, it's the sort of detail that seems hard not to mention, if they really are going to address it.

The advice echoed by Rian and Mark about avoiding as much news as you can going forward should really be taken seriously by anyone sensitive on this point.

It's just funny because rather she is Luke's daughter or rather she's "a nobody" -- both camps are going to play up their 20/20 hindsight for all it's worth.

I'm rooting for you, #teamkenobi, so at least you can avoid falling into this trap :p

She's nobody's kid. Her family isn't important. TFA made this clear. Johnson is absolutely right. It's a fanboy obsession that has no bearing on the story being told by the filmmakers.

IMO it's only interesting because it could explain where she got her amazing Force powers. But yeah, technically she could easily be a nobody and still be strong with the Force through sheer luck or fate or genetic lottery.

Less Maz than in TFA then.
”She has a smaller part in this than she has in The Force Awakens, but it's a really fun part, and Lupita is so awesome," Johnson says. ”I'm just happy I got to work with her."

More Phasma:
Gwendoline Christie's merciless First Order officer Captain Phasma has a more significant role in The Last Jedi.

”Gwendoline Christie is one of my favorite people, and you get to see her in action which I think is going to be really fun," Johnson says. ”That character is just so damn cool looking. Like, okay, let's see what we can do with her. Let's put her in action and see what happens."

A brush with Rey's dark side perhaps:
Kylo Ren's murder of Han Solo also makes Rey's contempt for him much more personal. He's no longer just a random madman terrorizing the galaxy. Rey has a grudge: He stole from her the father-figure she'd been searching for her whole life.

”She just doesn't understand Kylo," Daisy Ridley says. ”When all she wanted was parents, why would a person who has parents do that? It's so beyond comprehension, it's ridiculous. So she has grief for the loss and then there's anger. To be honest, she couldn't understand doing something like that – let alone to your parents."

TheXbox

Nothing of value here except the assurance that TJ Max Yoda has a smaller role. I really want to know what's up with Ben in this movie.

Top Bottom