• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Well, being the fairweather biker I am I'm hoping for a significantly nicer day tomorrow for my 100 mile, 12,000 feet pushing along boulder fest nightmare Leadville prep ride.

/fingers crossed

thomaser

Tried a few gravel climbs in a remote fjord today, up to abandoned pastures. Everything above 150 meters was smothered in fog, so I couldn't take the gorgeous-fjord-photos I wanted. But here's some nice fog for you:

sdu4kGh2S_3ebPQmbGeuSBlrsS801jVbTNo9gg5YN2iVTJ6rrqEQ_qiGHjH4qLbUeTbO5xm55Bka5pGaVdfmcMXF5SuL6fYOEylDCqPSOefbKIriqA_oq1wyNj9_whNpwNsbnFZJum96m-HgSuEQdrLZEqEUpzkcxD9yRQz8XgH4mJIg1B30S_ZlW5DN6eFNsde-Ng0yZiGluDIK5gX_1_dww9VdSFPL_fbReXnshfIqbes43k89CagYWWkHoCpVJS1fTXsM1lxBe3PXp9tiLe581KJhNad2NriBVicAL0H3lIRpWsvlDmcSh5BL0ljdeJSSuHbRYMJyFvrRP060O2uB66-6E6jPVhE0M5yjc0ZBCLl9vhBoe3U9HzIfyG54Z4viNd_gWBY5m-EXqfqMu-GmSM0iAuTATlr2i1FB2aZ9L_kpx1NvndKhNpPAzIOcE1OBBVjopHtMVCcNlNhwKpkgn7NY7oG2w2GVXSf1PrD-9bl0jfGy4XY1ihF82dZJ_QvtrHuU3IwtDE3izlseEn0BmrX29kRyacCl1YvbqPlc4v3tI93bSMNpMm0RCTE0PmmGFHMoIZn7zzDVDxPa9uU8MJcTZfkLk4QiZIvBrDPbAqjGa85ZMN34AZ_EYsJUdmVQjwDQHkJn5zq7obGRXSSzVZ_0ej2LYUCPGbH4tXSQXg=w1375-h764-no

SDG Duster is the best I've tried so far. I also have an Antares but it's the one without a canal in the middle so it got uncomfortable on long rides (works for the fatbike because I can't go too far on that).

Teggy

I'm going to shoot an email to the manufacturer, but was wondering if anyone here had this kind of experience with hitch racks. I bought a new rack and put it together, but when I mounted it, it sticks far out of the hitch due to the placement of the holes.

Here is what it looks like installed:

Here is what the whole placement looks like to give you an idea of how much is actually inside the hitch:

Is this going to be safe? I don't understand why the hole is drilled so close to the end.

HTupolev

(Have never actually been dropped, but I've heard it's very emasculating)
Nah, it's confirmation that you're pushing yourself. If that's "emasculating", then masculinity can GTFO.

This group ride also follows a format with several regroups throughout, so it's a relatively gentle form of getting dropped (if taking a moment to catch your breath and then going for another intense 5-15 miles is "gentle").

Take a screenshot, savour it forever.
No need. Strava activities show the trophies you scored even if someone later submits data that surpasses them. :)

Crazy! Is that an event or are you just setting out on your own?
It's Psychotext, he's just hoping for pleasant weather on his rest day.

Nah, it's confirmation that you're pushing yourself. If that's "emasculating", then masculinity can GTFO.

I was kidding. ;)

Crazy! Is that an event or are you just setting out on your own?

Was on my own... and holy fuck was it tough. Two fairly long bits were hike-a-bike, and I had a bit of a sense of humour failure on one when the trail basically turned into STABBY FUCKING PLANT ALLEY (there wasn't enough space for me and a bike).

Was on my own... and holy fuck was it tough. Two fairly long bits were hike-a-bike, and I had a bit of a sense of humour failure on one when the trail basically turned into STABBY FUCKING PLANT ALLEY (there wasn't enough space for me and a bike).

I had a medium easy day at work and then I ate some delicious 85% dark chocolate (for the magnesium) while watching the latest GoT episode.

Gray Matter

My chain was/is completely dry today. It was making so much noise today, stopped to take a look and it's dry as hell. I was a little concerned about causing damage, but it was only a 25 mile ride today, so if there is any damage it won't be too bad hopefully.

Putting some lube first thing when I get home.

Gray Matter

What is your opinion on unknown brands when it comes to bike upgrades? Not counterfeit, but relatively new companies.

I've been wanting/needing a new pair of wheels and there are these two companies that sell carbon wheels at decent price. Did some online research and the few reviews/videos that I found had positive reviews, but you know, there's always that voice in your head about buying an unknown brand.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Bicycle-GAF, your advice would be appreciated:

I am thinking of getting a Cannondale Hooligan, any experiences with it?

ShapeGSX

I was lucky enough to have 3 camera angles to cut together for my video of the George Street Challenge. I didn't break 30s this year. When I got to the top, I felt like I hadn't pushed hard enough. I'll get it next year.

The video came out well, anyway! I did hit >1000W for a little bit. The auto-pause on my Garmin screwed up the datalog, so the data overlays start a little late.

60fps, for those video game frame rate snobs! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGKR-_i9i7w

Unless you're running one as a trick / stunt bike... the latter.

I was lucky enough to have 3 camera angles to cut together for my video of the George Street Challenge. I didn't break 30s this year. When I got to the top, I felt like I hadn't pushed hard enough. I'll get it next year.

The video came out well, anyway! I did hit >1000W for a little bit. The auto-pause on my Garmin screwed up the datalog, so the data overlays start a little late.

60fps, for those video game frame rate snobs! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGKR-_i9i7w

I'd be good at that. Going up stupidly steep hills fast is what I do.

Some of the times I've seen in my area for some hills just has me scratch my head. Either GPS errors or freaks.

I looked at one segment recently and was just "No". If it wasn't an ebike, I can only assume that's literally all they were planning on doing for the day... and got carted off to the hospital right after. ;)

I was top 10 on the segment, and their time was half mine.

I like fixies, but then again I sold mine a couple months back. Just didn't like riding it, couldn't get used to switching back and forth between freewheel bikes and fixed. Maybe in the future if I splurge on a Cinelli track frame or something.

I recently got a fixed gear bike for free and have ridden it a few times. I can't get down with the push brake just yet, but I like riding it. I don't use it much because it's uncomfortable for me to ride right now and I need to adjust some stuff, but I like that it's going to help break some habits with riding.

robox

Discovered a gouge on my tire. So much for being conti gatorskin. No leaking just missing a chunk of rubber. Some of it is flappy. Wondering if it's fixable. Contemplating filling it with shoe goo but it's gonna be slightly sketchy.

might've been caused by skidding my fixie too much

HTupolev

Skidding puts a lot of stress of tires, and can cause weird things to happen. And those gatorskins also look like they're worn pretty thin.

It's time to make some drastic bike tinkering. I never ride my hardtail anymore, but it has relatively good parts on it. So I'm going to take it apart and update my fatbike and cyclocrosser a bit (drivetrain, brakes, wheels). Then it's a question of whether to save the frame for a rainy day or sell it.

Mascot

This was me in the woods last night.

giphy.gif

I rode straight into a sharp branch on a fallen tree at around 15mph and got knocked clean off the bike. It hit me a glancing blow in the side of the neck (right across the jugular - yay!) and left a nice cut.

I just didn't see it in the dappled sunlight as it was pointing towards me like a spear. A few inches to the right and it would have been perpendicular into the hollow of my throat, and a few inches higher than that, right into an eye. It was fucking stiff so I shudder to think what the outcome would have been, even with safety glasses on. I've no doubt a direct blow would have pierced my throat.

Shook me up, it did. But I remounted and rode on like a boss after exacting justice on the motherfucker.

Scary.

Edit - Talking of which... Couldn't catch my breath between intervals on the turbo trainer. I'm used to not having enough oxygen whilst doing the efforts, but never not being able to breathe after.

Properly freaked me out.

robox

Skidding puts a lot of stress of tires, and can cause weird things to happen. And those gatorskins also look like they're worn pretty thin.

i've ran them down to the cords on a previous tire :p

i was pacing against a a dude on a tcr on da9000 and a name sticker for a few laps on the ride before noticing

T8SC

1MqBLJm.jpg

Brought my mountain goat legs out the other day. Great weather resulted in a brilliant view. (Plus a few PB's). Though I now need a new BB.

Top Bottom