• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

caramac

Because Universal Studios just isn't a park where I want a coaster going over and even through the street sets.

Especially if that coaster looks like ass, without flow or grace like a coaster should look like. Instead, it looks broken and under construction.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5065/5604929604_ecf5b1a4f0_b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hmm yeah, I see what you mean. I didn't even know it was on that side of the park. I'd always thought it was more on the Islands of Adventure side.

D-Pad

skyscreamer03_8x10_300dpi.jpg

for 2013 at Six Flags Over Georgia

Oh hell no! I will do any coaster but not one of those things.

Eww.

img_3061sgadjp.jpg

Ripsaw Falls (Islands of Adventure)

Fun fact: A while back, Ripsaw Falls' final drop was altered to give less extreme airtime. The yellow drop "walls" represent the original drop. Old drop:

ripsaw_183.jpg

In other news, Universal filed a permit for Project 971, allowing for demolition/alteration of the Kwik-E-Mart/International Food and Film Festival building at Universal Studios Florida.

eastmen

Banned
WDW held a preview of their new Enchanted Tales With Belle located in the new Fantasyland, and someone uploaded a video of it.

I have to say, the technology in it looks top notch. I was pretty amazed with the
Lumière animatronic

it reminds me alot of harry potter over at universal.

I'm a bit pissed that i'm going in 2 weeks and i wont be able to see any of this. Thankfully i can go down a few times a year.

lush

In other news, Universal filed a permit for Project 971, allowing for demolition/alteration of the Kwik-E-Mart/International Food and Film Festival building at Universal Studios Florida.

Interesting. Don't see them getting rid of Kwik-E-Mart, Internation Food and Film Festival building could definitely use a facelift/reboot. Not a bad thing. So much shit going on in both parks.

Also, they're apparently pushing for Fall 2013 to open Transformers. Crazy....

Kusagari

I remember I used to go to Sea World as a kid and they had jackshit for rides.

Now they have Atlantis, Manta and Kraken and I want to go back for them, but I feel like it will be a waste for 3 rides.

eastmen

Banned
Interesting. Don't see them getting rid of Kwik-E-Mart, Internation Food and Film Festival building could definitely use a facelift/reboot. Not a bad thing. So much shit going on in both parks.

Universial had a huge problem and they are in the middle of fixing it.

Their movies aren't as timeless as Disney movies. Everyone grows up with all the disney princesses and now all the pixar stuff. But as amazing as the BBTF , Jaws , Alferd hitchock movie's were they just don't have the apeal . So Universal has revamped the whole of Universal Studios but now they need to add more because there are still so few rides. Esp Universal studios . Isle's of adventure is a bit better in that regard. But Magic kingdom will still take a day on its own , mabye even two days esp with FLE finishing up . Epcot when factoring the countrys will also take up a day and hollywood studios and animal kingdom take up the majority of a day. You can ultimately finished both Universal parks in a single day , fast pass makes it even easier to do so.

Harry potter made a huge boost something like 26% increase in attendance for universal but its still drasticly behind the disney parks . King kong , Transformers and a few more rides will help to level it out , esp if the extension of harry potter is true.

eastmen

Banned
I remember I used to go to Sea World as a kid and they had jackshit for rides.

Now they have Atlantis, Manta and Kraken and I want to go back for them, but I feel like it will be a waste for 3 rides.

Sea world is alot of fun , the shows are nice to see (although some are closed I think ?) but ultimately unless you really have to ride every roller coaster its a pass for someone with no young children.

Its basicly like animal kingdom

aparisi2274

Harry potter made a huge boost something like 26% increase in attendance for universal but its still drasticly behind the disney parks . King kong , Transformers and a few more rides will help to level it out , esp if the extension of harry potter is true.

The two BIG rumors right now for USF are:

1. The Potter expansion in the old Amity area, which would act as London with a Gringots Bank coaster and an actual train ride on Hogwarts Express over to IOA and to the original Potter expansion.

2. They are on the fast track to build a USF version of Transformers the ride. The bulding has already gone vertical and they are hoping to get it open by Sept 2013.

eastmen

Banned
The two BIG rumors right now for USF are:

1. The Potter expansion in the old Amity area, which would act as London with a Gringots Bank coaster and an actual train ride on Hogwarts Express over to IOA and to the original Potter expansion.

2. They are on the fast track to build a USF version of Transformers the ride. The bulding has already gone vertical and they are hoping to get it open by Sept 2013.

yes and apparently the new king kong is coming to florida also.

IFFF definitely needs retheming. I ate there twice a few weeks ago and literally didn't know what the place was called. Had to look it up online when I got back from vacation. Moe's Tavern would be cool.

I've been hearing July for Transformers, believe it or not. If you check Universal's annual pass blackout dates for 2013, all of July is blacked out for USF only, with the few months before and after being clear. Fear Factor Live may be getting replaced by then but I can't see a show being a good reason for blocking out a whole month. It has to be Transformers. The schedule is fucking batshit crazy but I read on another forum that in one month they've already done in Orlando what it took them eight months to do in Hollywood. This is as breakneck as it's ever going to get and I'm loving it.

And when all this is over, we still have a Grinch coaster and Kidzone expansion coming, Universal is out of their damn minds. There's going to be cool new stuff every year until at least what, 2015? 2016? Jurassic Park is due for something too, right?

yes and apparently the new king kong is coming to florida also.

i3PE53f8iLJXs.gif

eastmen

Banned
Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but WDW has gotten really stagnant for me. I love their hotels and guest service (second to none) but the rides (outside of ToT, Splash, and Star Tours) aren't doing it for me anymore. Not to say their other rides aren't generally of quality, I don't feel like coming back to them once a year like with Universal's. Hell, I rode Spider-Man 8 times on my last trip (thanks, Express) and could have gone for more. I know Avatar will be able to match or even surpass Spidey and FJ, but they're moving very slowly on that.

As for the numbers, some things are obvious like Everest and Cars Land - those parks clearly needed those attractions to thrive. But I'd be interested to know if they built Indy because DL attendance was down, or if they updated Star Tours because it wasn't pulling expected wait times. Still, complacency isn't a good thing imo. Like MK may be pulling huge numbers but Splash badly needs a refurb...when was the last time the Laughing Place scene was fully working? Disney doesn't need to directly "respond" to Universal but a new E-ticket every few years can't be that much to ask for with the business they're doing.

Heard on another forum that the track layout is supposed to be pretty short with very few show scenes. Consensus is that it looks D-ticket at best. Hopefully the info was wrong or that it will turn out better.

Splash will get a refurb once FLE is completely finished. Its silly to close such a big ride that keeps attendance on the other side of the park away from the construction. They need to keep as much stuff open right now as possible. Obviously as more FLE stuff opens this wont be a problem.

The studios is rumored to get the monster coaster while Animal kingdom will get avatar which it really needs.

The only park thats badly in need of new content is Epcot. I suspect that Disney will square away FLE , Start moving on Avatar and most likely make that stupid car ride in magic kingdom into a cars ride , bring the coaster to Hollywood and announce a big project for epcot.

After epcot i'd love for them to expand and make more of a lucas / speilberg area of the studios .

lush

IFFF definitely needs retheming. I ate there twice a few weeks ago and literally didn't know what the place was called. Had to look it up online when I got back from vacation. Moe's Tavern would be cool.

I've been hearing July for Transformers, believe it or not. If you check Universal's annual pass blackout dates for 2013, all of July is blacked out for USF only, with the few months before and after being clear. Fear Factor Live may be getting replaced by then but I can't see a show being a good reason for blocking out a whole month. It has to be Transformers. The schedule is fucking batshit crazy but I read on another forum that in one month they've already done in Orlando what it took them 8 months to do in Hollywood. This is as breakneck as it's ever going to get and I'm loving it.

And when all this is over, we still have a Grinch coaster and Kidzone expansion coming, Universal is out of their damn minds. There's going to be cool new stuff every year until at least what, 2015? 2016? Jurassic Park is due for something too, right?

Is Fear Factor Live even popular anymore? I mean, how often is it really open. I usually only ever go down for Halloween Horror Nights when it's closed for Bill and Ted.

I'm most excited for the Harry Potter additions as I like the brand and I think the theming is fantastic in the area. Kidzone expansion is much needed. Haven't really heard anything about a Grinch coaster, do you have a link/information for that? Jurassic Park has always been the section that could use a new ride, especially considering the space. Suppose they could still do the safari ride that was to be originally in that section.

edit: I really need to go to Disney World, I've been twice and I was probably only 4 or 5 the first and 10 or 11 the second.

Splash will get a refurb once FLE is completely finished. Its silly to close such a big ride that keeps attendance on the other side of the park away from the construction. They need to keep as much stuff open right now as possible. Obviously as more FLE stuff opens this wont be a problem.

The studios is rumored to get the monster coaster while Animal kingdom will get avatar which it really needs.

The only park thats badly in need of new content is Epcot. I suspect that Disney will square away FLE , Start moving on Avatar and most likely make that stupid car ride in magic kingdom into a cars ride , bring the coaster to Hollywood and announce a big project for epcot.

After epcot i'd love for them to expand and make more of a lucas / speilberg area of the studios .

I really hope Splash gets its due. It's probably my favorite overall attraction at any park.

Monsters Inc. coaster would be acceptable for Studios. Cars Land would be as well (there are rumors, right?), but that's probably overkill.

This would probably be a long shot but I'd like to see Dinosaur at AK get a completely retheming similar to what Test Track is getting. The Indy ride system is fucking fantastic but outside of the Carnotaurus AAs, Dinosaur's theming has always come off as really janky to me. A revamped Dinosaur would be awesome to hold AK guests over until Avatar.

No clue what Epcot needs but it's something.

A little park with no less than 12 roller coasters, including 5 world class ones.

Does it still smell like chocolate in the area?

it does at times. usually when it is about to rain in the spring and summer. someone else posted that the factory is right next to the park and is open for tours. that's not correct. chocolate world is right next to the park and they have a free ride that simulates a tour of the factory, but no chocolate is made there. you do get some free candy at the end of it though. i also recommend the 3d movie they have there. it's actually pretty entertaining.

I want to go to Hershey. When would a good time to go when it wouldn't be too insane on a weekend? September maybe?

i'm not sure how the weekends will be in september. i know it was PACKED for springtime in the park. i believe they were expecting crowds of approximately 15,000 and ended up closer to 30,000. as an aside, if you end up going and want some company send me a pm. if i can make it over i will. i absolutely love the park and it would be cool to show you around if you're interested.

finally, i ended up making it to cedar point last week. total last minute thing, but it was awesome. i'm glad i finally got there. they have some great coasters and i was impressed by some of their flat rides as well. i would definitely go back. and, for bragging rights, i've now ridden two of the three fastest coasters in the world. if i make it over to nj i can hop on kingda ka and make it 3 of 3 :p

aparisi2274

I really hope Splash gets its due. It's probably my favorite overall attraction at any park.

Monsters Inc. coaster would be acceptable for Studios. Cars Land would be as well (there are rumors, right?), but that's probably overkill.

This would probably be a long shot but I'd like to see Dinosaur at AK get a completely retheming similar to what Test Track is getting. The Indy ride system is fucking fantastic but outside of the Carnotaurus AAs, Dinosaur's theming has always come off as really janky to me. A revamped Dinosaur would be awesome to hold AK guests over until Avatar.

No clue what Epcot needs but it's something.

The amount of refurbs Disney has going on right now, I doubt will see a Dinosaur refurb anytime soon.

I know that Disney just files permits for some sort of refurb for Jungle Cruise (that needs it!), and then they have Avatarland (which I still think is a big mistake). The Carsland rumor for DHS has been circulating ever since DCA announced the project a few years back.

I would prefer a SplMtn refurb as well, but I doubt Disney has any plans for it.

My dream refurb would be a complete make over for Tomorrowland, and the removal of Stitchs Adventure. I wish they never removed Alien Encounter...

Is Fear Factor Live even popular anymore? I mean, how often is it really open. I usually only ever go down for Halloween Horror Nights when it's closed for Bill and Ted.

I'm most excited for the Harry Potter additions as I like the brand and I think the theming is fantastic in the area. Kidzone expansion is much needed. Haven't really heard anything about a Grinch coaster, do you have a link/information for that? Jurassic Park has always been the section that could use a new ride, especially considering the space. Suppose they could still do the safari ride that was to be originally in that section.

From what I've read, the FFL stage has been due for a replacement show for a long time. Supposedly 2013 is the year they're going to do it.

The Grinch coaster is pure-rumor for now but I've seen it talked about on a variety of sites, and Seuss Landing does have an expansion plot. A well-themed family coaster (sorry, Hippogriff) would really compliment IoA's lineup and Mount Crumpet would be an enduring landmark. IoA will also need some lovin' after the massive USF expansion is over. The rumors said it's supposed to be pretty far off, like 2016, so I could see the Kidzone expansion coming first.

Potter 2.0 is going to be completely nuts. Gringotts is E-ticket material for sure and the Hogwarts Express should be pretty close to that, with different shows depending on which direction you're going. Should be some great photo-ops with the London Waterfront and Kings Cross.

edit - Question for any tech guys: As much as I love Forbidden Journey, the projections aren't as bright or clear as Spiderman's and Despicable Me's. Is this a limitation of the screens and projector moving on a carousel or did projection technology simply become more advanced between FJ and Spidey overhaul/DM? Could FJ be upgraded to have brighter, 4K projections?

I know that Disney just files permits for some sort of refurb for Jungle Cruise (that needs it!), and then they have Avatarland (which I still think is a big mistake). The Carsland rumor for DHS has been circulating ever since DCA announced the project a few years back.

I'm not a fan of the movie but Avatarland will be fine by me if it's an excuse for the Imagineers to design some uber-attraction that beats out FJ, Spidey, and Transformers.

eastmen

Banned
Potter 2.0 is going to be completely nuts. Gringotts is E-ticket material for sure and the Hogwarts Express should be pretty close to that, with different shows depending on which direction you're going. Should be some great photo-ops with the London Waterfront and Kings Cross.

edit - Question for any tech guys: As much as I love Forbidden Journey, the projections aren't as bright or clear as Spiderman's and Despicable Me's. Is this a limitation of the screens and projector moving on a carousel or did projection technology simply become more advanced between FJ and Spidey overhaul/DM? Could FJ be upgraded to have brighter, 4K projections?

I'm not a fan of the movie but Avatarland will be fine by me if it's an excuse for the Imagineers to design some uber-attraction that beats out FJ, Spidey, and Transformers.

Its the older projectors. Look at the muppets , they went completely digital last year and the show looks 10 times better. I believe spiderman also just got new projectors it looked horrible the last time I was on like 3 years ago.

Potter is good but i hope they cool it a bit on that. I don't want just a harry potter park .

eastmen

Banned
The amount of refurbs Disney has going on right now, I doubt will see a Dinosaur refurb anytime soon.

I would prefer a SplMtn refurb as well, but I doubt Disney has any plans for it.

My dream refurb would be a complete make over for Tomorrowland, and the removal of Stitchs Adventure. I wish they never removed Alien Encounter...

Avatar land will be fine . I bet it will be quite small in the end mabye a bit larger than what harry potter is like over in isle's of adventure. I don't see them going big

SplMtn will get a refurb they just can't close down one of their biggest rides during the FLE and for most guests your not going to know whats missing from SplMtn anyway.

Dinosaur is a fine ride and honestly until avatar land happens they just can't afford to close anything in animal kingdom . There is already to few rides there as it is. Its the same reason why everest isn't closed to fix the yeti .

U2NUMB

For something different I really enjoy the newish Mall of America indoor coaster. Amazing this is indoor. The initial climb is great and you go up into the windowed roof which is a very freaky feeling. Has a couple loops and really screams for an indoor coaster. And if you wait more than 2 min in line I would be surprised.

2978395278_e4e1824f2c.jpg

3735666275_1b4b1b6fce_z.jpg

Here is a video of someone riding it, not my video

I still don't think Harry Potter has the kind of legs that a franchise like Star Wars has, though. The same goes with Avatar. Disney should just buy out Lucasfilm and Universal should've bought out Transformers from Hasbro. Transformers, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars have much longer legs than Potter or Avatar.

Disney should be doing much more with The Muppets, too. There should be more of a push at Hollywood Studios to turn the section of the park into a Muppet Land like they thought of in the late 80s/early 90s.

Its the older projectors. Look at the muppets , they went completely digital last year and the show looks 10 times better. I believe spiderman also just got new projectors it looked horrible the last time I was on like 3 years ago.

Spider-man was also completely redrawn in 4K HD resolution. It's going to blow your mind. The Scoop is slowed down slightly in front of a few screens to give the scenes more room to breathe and the audio was upgraded to 16-channel. Better lighting and reprogrammed Scoop movements too.

spidermanride.jpg

Newin2012_Spidey1_tcm13-25633.jpg

Took a day trip to the Magic Kingdom a couple weeks ago while vacationing in Daytona Beach.
It was my girlfriends first visit to a Disney theme park ever. She loved it.

It was super hot (obviously), but we got there early and did Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and Pirates of the Caribbean before Noon. The rest of the day we took it easy looking at shops and grabbing a couple fastpasses (one for Space Mountain. Forgot how awesome Florida's Space was).

Big Thunder closed early because something went wrong with it so we didn't get to do that, and we forgot to visit the Tiki room. Other than that I think we got to ride everything.
The crowds were light since a lot of kids are back in school.

It was a great time.
Hadn't been to Disneyland since 1995 or Disneyworld since 2000.

Also got a lot of streetpasses on my 3DS. :D

Disney World is in trouble looking down the road. I don't know how they will maintain the infrastructure they've built when people have less money to spend and less time to spend there.
It's troubling to me as a lover of theme parks and Disney parks in general.

There was a lack of polish on a lot of things and despite me being able to look past a lot of broken effects, lightbulbs being out, and paint chipping everywhere I wonder if everyday folks notice it. Hope they can turn it around soon because Universal has stepped their game up big time.

----------------------------

For something different I really enjoy the newish Mall of America indoor coaster.

That's one of the few Gerstlauer Eurofighter coasters in North America. They built a smallish one at Six Flags here in Ga called DareDevil Dive.

Here's ThemePark Review's vid of it: http://youtu.be/x-Bnojwbv7E

Another good Eurofighter is the Mystery Mine at Dollywood
ThemePark Review vid: http://youtu.be/8uALvK5DqiU

Took a day trip to the Magic Kingdom a couple weeks ago while vacationing in Daytona Beach.
It was my girlfriends first visit to a Disney theme park ever. She loved it.

It was super hot (obviously), but we got there early and did Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and Pirates of the Caribbean before Noon. The rest of the day we took it easy looking at shops and grabbing a couple fastpasses (one for Space Mountain. Forgot how awesome Florida's Space was).
Maybe it's because I grew up with it, but I prefer Disneyland's Space Mountain to MK's version of the ride. I think a lot has to do with the seating configuration. Mk's version has the inline seating and the lap bars hurt like crazy where as DL's version is side by side seating and is much more comfortable.

Maybe it's because I grew up with it, but I prefer Disneyland's Space Mountain to MK's version of the ride. I think a lot has to do with the seating configuration. Mk's version has the inline seating and the lap bars hurt like crazy where as DL's version is side by side seating and is much more comfortable.

I practically grew up at Disneyland so I feel you. It's also probably due to me not riding either version in ten plus years and forgetting how awesome it is.

I don't know how they will maintain the infrastructure they've built when people have less money to spend and less time to spend there.

Disney gets most of their money off of merchandise. Park admission, despite the ridiculously high price, does not give Disney a profit.

Fastpass allows people to remain happy, get out of line quicker, and happy people not standing in line for an attraction spend money. This is the Disney business model. I expect much more Disney-fication of attractions across the parks. Don't understand what I'm talking about? Look at what happened to The Living Seas becoming a giant advertisement for Finding Nemo. Expect more of that at all the parks. Why? Because it makes them money by causing people to buy the merch in the parks.

Disney gets most of their money off of merchandise. Park admission, despite the ridiculously high price, does not give Disney a profit.

Fastpass allows people to remain happy, get out of line quicker, and happy people not standing in line for an attraction spend money. This is the Disney business model. I expect much more Disney-fication of attractions across the parks. Don't understand what I'm talking about? Look at what happened to The Living Seas becoming a giant advertisement for Finding Nemo. Expect more of that at all the parks. Why? Because it makes them money by causing people to buy the merch in the parks.

If it's fun I'm ok with it. Orlando doesn't seem to do things with as much panache as Anaheim though.

The seas with Nemo and friends is grating! You could play a drinking game with how many times they say the name 'Nemo' and be drunk by the end of the ride.

Disneyland is straight up more fun than Disneyworld I think. It's so much easier to ride more stuff during a day.

On a related note, I finally made it to Cars Land in California Adventure and waited two hours for Radiator Springs Racer only for it to break down for an hour right before I got to the front. At the end of the night too. So we ended up racing over to Space Mountain before the park closed, only for that to break down right as we got to the front too. Sigh. I'm going again tomorrow though so I'll try Cars Land again.

Disneyland is straight up more fun than Disneyworld I think. It's so much easier to ride more stuff during a day.

On a related note, I finally made it to Cars Land in California Adventure and waited two hours for Radiator Springs Racer only for it to break down for an hour right before I got to the front. At the end of the night too. So we ended up racing over to Space Mountain before the park closed, only for that to break down right as we got to the front too. Sigh. I'm going again tomorrow though so I'll try Cars Land again.

DL is fucking great. Can't top the original.

I haven't ridden RSR yet but I think I'll hold off until the lines cool down. From what I've heard they've been 2+ hours all day every day since it opened, with very rare exception. And I'm not getting there at rope drop and waiting 45 minutes to get a fastpass, no way. I think lines are going to be a problem for me in general after experiencing the magic of Universal Express in Orlando. Unlimited walk-ons for almost everything in the afternoon.

DL is fucking great. Can't top the original.

I haven't ridden RSR yet but I think I'll hold off until the lines cool down. From what I've heard they've been 2+ hours all day every day since it opened, with very rare exception. And I'm not getting there at rope drop and waiting 45 minutes to get a fastpass, no way. I think lines are going to be a problem for me in general after experiencing the magic of Universal Express in Orlando. Unlimited walk-ons for almost everything in the afternoon.
It's long, but it's nothing I'm not used to. I go to Magic Mountain on a semi-regular basis. I really don't mind waiting for it but it's getting other people who are willing to wait for it that's the problem.

Somehow found a Dueling Dragons shirt in my size on Ebay. Excuse the shitty iPhone 3G camera quality

Inc16.jpg

YVGVq.jpg

Totally wearing this next time I go. Might use it to troll at Universal Hollywood if I make it over there this fall.

You're right on both accounts. MK's Space Mountain throws you around, it's like they put the Matterhorn in Space Mountain. Yes MK's queue is better but it takes forever just to leave.

It's a shame the thing is so rough because the track layout is amazing and feels more out of control than DL's imo. It just fucking hurts, especially the part where the track comes right by the lift hill. Probably the only ride at WDW I wouldn't ride twice in the same day.

Xun

Nothing has ever topped WDW for me.

I fucking love it.

I always feel like a kid whenever I go back.

I used to love rollercoasters as a kid. I used to watch documentaries on theme parks, the engineering behind them, etc... I was even a member of ACE as a kid. They also inspired me to choose Engineering as a major.

I don't have the same passion for rollercoasters now, but I still love to go to SFMM at least once a year.

Full Throttle looks insane.

Top Bottom