• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends: Leaked Wii-U Trailer

Sardello

Three considerations

1) The "main" UPad utility seams completely useless. This is how the PAD should not be implemented. Cmon, the girl whatch other guys playing and she has only to move ramps?

2) Expect an invasion of action figures :D

3) Why is the pad always linked to a cable? I'm worried!!!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm really worried about the game having a more 2d combat focus than platforming. The video, gorgeous as it is, shows nothing but big long environments with enemies popping up to punch or push away :/

beje

Banned
I still don't get how people still get caught by Ubisoft-driven hype. Game looks absolutely average and forgettable to me, with a really high chance of being dumbed-down to FB games level and back for the social aspects.

Veredict: meh.

Game-Biz

i thought they said they saw the problem and are working on a solution?

if they still decided 'fuck it' on additional tablets per system, it remains one of the most hilarious mistakes in console design history. Make a system around the gimmicks of tablet controller; force only one person at a time to be able to utilize it. Too funny

I still can't imagine they're that dumb (and I can imagine Nintendo being pretty fucking dumb), so I bet you can use more than one - at least for simplistic purposes like play calling and character selecting and simple stuff like that.

The tablet is more of an extension of the console itself than a separate input device; acting as a reference point for the player(s). The Wii-remotes will be used as the input device in conjunction with the tablet while communicating with the system itself.

Also, I have no idea what I just said. But it sounded good, I think. Nintendo, hire me, I will write PR BS for you all day.

Why are people calling NFC a gimmick? I'm willing to bet Microsoft and Sony will follow Nintendo's lead on this. It can't be a gimmick if you whip out your credit card and swipe it across the WiiU pad to pay for something, to me that is fantastic.

Metal-Geo

i thought they said they saw the problem and are working on a solution?

if they still decided 'fuck it' on additional tablets per system, it remains one of the most hilarious mistakes in console design history. Make a system around the gimmicks of tablet controller; force only one person at a time to be able to utilize it. Too funny

I still can't imagine they're that dumb (and I can imagine Nintendo being pretty fucking dumb), so I bet you can use more than one - at least for simplistic purposes like play calling and character selecting and simple stuff like that.
I'm far from being a techie. But rendering and outputting a single 1080p60 feed and four times a 480p60 stream (with audio?) wirelessly sounds like quite a task for a small device like the Wii U.

Amir0x

Banned
how are you guys getting one tablet per system out of this?

No one is getting it out of this video alone. I noticed there is still only one guy utilizing a tablet in the Rayman Legends video, while everyone else uses a traditional controller. Because during Wii U's initial unveil it was said only one tablet can be used at a time per system, I was wondering whether they still haven't fixed the problem because this video continues the trend re: one tablet, multiple regular controllers.

I do think Nintendo is that dumb.
They left out a second stick on the 3DS for freaking sake.

Wii succeeded because of local multi. I am pretty certain WiiU will have gimped local multi due to a 1 pad per console restriction.

Yeah the lack of second analog stick was a comical oversight. I guess you're right, they can be that dumb.

I can see it being a performance problem for such games. DOn't see the reason why it should be limited in more simpler games.

Yeah, but in any event I haven't even seen any real impressive ideas with the tablet controller yet, so like most of the gimmicks on these Nintendo platforms it'll probably be something I try to avoid where possible. I just wonder from a marketing perspective if it's a good idea to have only one tablet controller available at a time... so because of that, I feel they'll solve it. At least for the Maddens of the world.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The tablet is more of an extension of the console itself than a separate input device; acting as a reference point for the player(s). The Wii-remotes will be used as the input device in conjunction with the tablet while communicating with the system itself.

Also, I have no idea what I just said. But it sounded good, I think. Nintendo, hire me, I will write PR BS for you all day.

that makes no sense at all. :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Three considerations

1) The "main" UPad utility seams completely useless. This is how the PAD should not be implemented. Cmon, the girl whatch other guys playing and she has only to move ramps?

It might be a good way to involve less skilled players though.

LittleBigPlanet offered the same kind of mode with Move, where one player would manipulate stuff in the environment with move while others played regularly with ds3s. I didn't play it much but I imagine it is good for playing with people who don't necessarily want to be 'shown up' by better players in a MP setting.

If the girl in this case wants, she can always play normally - with a wiimote, or presumably also with the wii-u controller. And maybe there is a mode where the pad player can control both a character and environment elements with touch.

Three considerations

2) Expect an invasion of action figures :D

3) Why is the pad always linked to a cable? I'm worried!!!

Um, you realize you can use the pad to play the game by yourself right? This is only intended i assume if four people are playing. Also, as others have said, That cable is most likely part of the dev kit.

Darryl

Banned

i disagree, giving an extra player an option for simplified gameplay can be potentially awesome. there's plenty of situations where someone wants to be involved but doesn't want to do much. imagine a kid trying to play a game with his out-of-it parents/grandparents, or adults who want to play with their kids but they're too young otherwise.

derFeef

I still don't get how people still get caught by Ubisoft-driven hype. Game looks absolutely average and forgettable to me, with a really high chance of being dumbed-down to FB games level and back for the social aspects.

Veredict: meh.

Have you actually played Origins? It is a delightful platformer.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
At e3 they could only use 1 pad per console.

Wii lets you use GC controllers. Did any early Wii trailers feature ppl using GC controllers?

I just have a feeling they did not fix this.

It's too late for me to search right now (lazy/sleepy) but there is a source that basically semi-confirmed the possibility of a second padlet being able to connect to the system. this article was published a bit after e3 i posted it in the wii u thread a few days ago but its gone now in a sea of posts. besides, nintendo was more adamant about the fact that the padlets would be too expensive to sell separately more than they were worried about whether the system itself could handle more than one.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Many(probably every single one) of the wiiu exclusive features are already possible on vita(see mutant blobs), so my question is: there will be a vita version?

kinggroin

Banned
That's precisely what i'm saying ... Nintendo has to add some real value to its concept.

Outside of moneyhatting big exclusives, there's very Nintendo can do to sway folk from their current platforms of choice. The Wii-U version is there to serve the Wii-U only owners. Anything past that is icing.

Even if someone HAD all three platforms, and the Wii-U was identical but also had these extra gimmicks and more, I don't see people buying the game for an unproven ecosystem.

FillerB

Why is the controller wired in every shot in this trailer?

As has been suggested many times in this thread. This trailer is most likely either an internal ad or a work-in-progress and thus the controller is most likely part of the devkit and not the final controller.

Why is the controller wired in every shot in this trailer?

It's most likely a "draft" trailer where they used dev kit controllers. It also explains the use of How to Train Your Dragon and Back to the Future Music. Probably just getting it ready for an E3 showing.

Amir0x

Banned
Why are people calling NFC a gimmick? I'm willing to bet Microsoft and Sony will follow Nintendo's lead on this. It can't be a gimmick if you whip out your credit card and swipe it across the WiiU pad to pay for something, to me that is fantastic.

For me, it's just that that the more specialized the gimmick, the less interested I am in it. In other words, the swiping thing will have very limited actual applications in gameplay, and so there will have be very specialized gameplay developments to accommodate it. That will lead to developers feeling they have to figure out some way to implement the feature, at least early on so they can be competitive feature-for-feature with other developers (just like early in Wii's life, every dev uselessly trying to cram every gimmick the system had in every game). This leads to generally weaker game design, since it's the developer trying to chase features nobody really wanted, rather than them deciding it was the best idea for the games in question. There's some level of pressure early in these platforms life to utilize the features the system provides, and Wii's wasteland-esque early lineup proves how disastrous that can be for game quality. Wiimote functioned less often than it actually worked.

I mean think about how it's used in Rayman Legends here. One has to stop what the game is about - platforming - to awkwardly grab some item and let the screen scan it.. so you get some on screen gimmick moment. It's not a very elegant game to use such a thing in, but it's being used because it can be a bulletpoint on the back of the box. Gimmicks over game design as always

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What is this NFC shit you nerds keep going on about?

Jubern

Very nice trailer. I was a little put off by the new art style, even wondering if it wasn't 3D at first, but I got used to it.

Loved Origins, pretty sure I'll love this too. However, I doubt I'll buy it on Wii U...

Sardello

It might be a good way to involve less skilled players though.

LittleBigPlanet offered the same kind of mode with Move, where one player would manipulate stuff in the environment with move while others played regularly with ds3s. I didn't play it much but I imagine it is good for playing with people who don't necessarily want to be 'shown up' by better players in a MP setting.

If the girl in this case wants, she can always play normally - with a wiimote, or presumably also with the wii-u controller. And maybe there is a mode where the pad player can control both a character and environment elements with touch.

i disagree, giving an extra player an option for simplified gameplay can be potentially awesome. there's plenty of situations where someone wants to be involved but doesn't want to do much. imagine a kid trying to play a game with his out-of-it parents/grandparents, or adults who want to play with their kids but they're too young otherwise.
Ok, I get your point and in Mario Galaxy there was a similar feature... but this is the first game we see running on Wii U. I'm disappointed it's a multiplatform game "adapted" to Wii U.

Then won't you prefer "self moving" platforms? It's the ABC of the genre
Um, you realize you can use the pad to play the game by yourself right? This is only intended i assume if four people are playing. Also, as others have said, That cable is most likely part of the dev kit.

Yea, but why did they show it in a promotional video? The pad is really ugly with that thing attached and I think the final recharge cable will look different (at least I hope :p)

wouwie

Looks awesome. So happy it's real. My most anticipated game at this point.

Seeing that the trailer was probably meant for E3, when do you think the game will be released? I'm going on a media blackout. It's going to be a long wait...

Top Bottom