• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Regarding the graphics, I think most people forget the scale. Darksiders is close to an open-world game, and all things considered, I think Vigil made a good concession on tech to compensate. It looks really good in motion. The overarching aesthetic is, of course, open to personal preference, but as a Joe Mad fan I have to say that his designs look great in 3D.

PARANO1A

Which version would GAF recommend pre-ordering? Neutrality is fun and all but as a multi-platform owner I just want the best :]

Ardorx

Banned
PARANO1A said:
Which version would GAF recommend pre-ordering? Neutrality is fun and all but as a multi-platform owner I just want the best :]

Which controller to you prefer using the most?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
PARANO1A said:
So they're identical in terms of framerate, effects, tearing, resolution, lighting, etc?

We haven't seen side-by-sides yet. You're going to have to wait if you're that interested in geting the pixel-by-pixel best version.

ZealousD

Alright, just did a small revamp of the "Reviews" section of the OP. Once the first embargo ends I'll trim some fat by cutting out any sites not accredited on Metacritic or GameRankings.

I read a preview of this game awhile ago. I think it was in Game Informer?

Wasn't on my radar until this thread, though. It looks great. Right now January is looking packed for me. I just got Dragon Age and NMH2 and ME2 are also must-buy's.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The Interrobanger said:
I'm all for different visual approaches, but the art (specifically the main character) in this game looks like a 16 year old painted a portrait of out his beefcake goth girlfriend while she was cosplaying.

And the lighting (or lack thereof), makes it look like a first gen PS2 title.

I hate comics and geek "culture" so I get that I'm not the target gamer for this style of game, but god damn do I want some Zelda-esque action.

:-|

Speaking of pacing, Darksiders is easily a 20+ hour long game for the discerning player (ie the player who wants to collect and discover everything), and its challenge is thus, it could be longer depending on your skills. Make no mistake, Darkiders is no walk in the park, but beating it is one hell of an achievement; rewarding in spades, with still more room for exploration once the final boss is done and dusted.

So there you have it. 2010 hasn't even quite begun and we're already kicking it off with an amazing bang in the videogame department. Darksiders is the perfect way to spend a solid January (and February), and all of the above just has me hoping this team continues the series, or if not, move onto something equally amazing. If you like your adventures filled with, well, adventure, Darksiders is going to keep up at night for hours and hours on-end (my longest marathon session came in at around eight or nine hours); the game's level-design is brilliant, it harbours among the best puzzles I've encountered in games, has an excellent and well-thought out learning curve, plenty of reason to explore, great art-direction, excellent sound and a compelling story with equally engaging characters. What's not to love?

What we liked
Massive game with so much to see and explore
Great characters and art-direction
Some of the best level-design and puzzles found in gaming
Incredible soundtrack and great voice-acting
Seriously challenging

What we didn't like
Some graphical elements could have been applied better
One or two uber-challenging bottlenecks that were very frustrating

http://www.ausgamers.com/games/darksiders/review/

El-Suave

Another review:
German magazine M! Games: 85%

Challenging dungeons with puzzles
Deep, flexible combat system
Lots of equipment and weapons
Uncut in Germany according to the publisher
Cool horse for the overworld

An excellent cocktail of tried and true game mechanics challenging both thumbs and brain. Story is a bit weak.

Feindflug

I got these today:

2a66yyb.jpg

Detailed impressions hopefully later today. :D

S1kkZ

some technical impressions (360 version)
-tearing is a problem. it tears almost the whole time and its really annoying.
-framerate jumps between 60 and sub 30 (thats how it feels). constant hickups and short freezes (game is installed)

Kishgal

Banned
This game wasn't on my radar at all until a few days ago. I had previously heard 'God of War'-alike which somewhat piqued my interest, but then I heard 'open world' and it dropped off again. Hearing again that it's more like Zelda than, say, GTA caused me to actually look at some of the media, and now I really want it. I'm really glad it was brought to my attention, because it looks really fun. I also really like the graphical style.

Gonna wait for gaf impressions before jumping in on this one. Anyone else getting a Shadowman vibe from this, though? That was a great B zelda/metroid game, although the loading was the fucking pits.

.nimrod

S1kkZ said:
-framerate jumps between 60 and sub 30 (thats how it feels). constant hickups and short freezes (game is installed)

are you playing in 1080p?
if so, is there less tearing in 720p?

forrest

formerly nacire
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Gonna wait for gaf impressions before jumping in on this one. Anyone else getting a Shadowman vibe from this, though? That was a great B zelda/metroid game, although the loading was the fucking pits.

I hadn't really got a Shadowman vibe, but I loved Shadowman. I'd love to see a remake or sequel surface for that franchise.

Shame about the 360 version and the tearing.

holding out for ps3 version not having tearing, although if there is tearing in a multiplat title it seems to work out that its the ps3 version and not the 360 version that suffers......not optimistic....

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Freedom = $1.05 said:

Loved Shadowman. Have the N64 version, and it'll be one of the first games N64 games I replay once a portable system is strong enough to have a decent N64 emu. Shadowman 2 was awful, though.

S1kkZ said:
720p, hdmi, game is installed.

I've got a bud playing it overseas, and he hasn't noticed any issues. He is playing it off the disc, not installed, though I can't imagine why that would cause a problem.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Read through the comic last night and it was enjoyable enough.
Cool artwork after that.

Man, I can't wait!! :D

Corto

MikeE21286 said:
holding out for ps3 version not having tearing, although if there is tearing in a multiplat title it seems to work out that its the ps3 version and not the 360 version that suffers......not optimistic....

Earlier in this thread it was posted a GamePro Germany review that claimed that 360 was more afflicted with this problem:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19018666&postcount=118

Even so that they downed the 360 score a 1%.

Huh, maybe I'll hold off a bit. Though compared to most eagle eyed Gaffers, I don't often see the difference between two platforms unless they are especially glaring.

Ironically, my PS3 is borked right now. My THIRD 360 is running good though!

S1kkZ said:

Hmmmm out of all the reviews and people that have played the 360 version, your the first to report the framerate and hickups/freezes. Maybe cuz the game is installed?

S1kkZ

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Hmmmm out of all the reviews and people that have played the 360 version, your the first to report the framerate and hickups/freezes. Maybe cuz the game is installed?
the framerate was mentioned before (from caspel i think), the short hickups only appear sometimes in battle.
i played the game from the dvd: same problems, longer loading times.

Corto

I've pre-ordered the game through videogamesplus but afaik they don't have the comic book+art book promo... Where can I buy that in separate but in english?

ZealousD

80 - Playstation Official Magazine Australia

It'll test your patience, but persevere and your sense of self-satisfaction will swell. [Jan 2009, p.64]

ZealousD

S1kkZ said:

Hiccups are probably caused by the game constantly loading. They've traded loading screens for background loading.

Top Bottom