• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Arcteryx

Can we talk about how when they demo'd video playback, the notch fucking cut out the side of the picture. That would drive me nuts.

Yea, even in the promo pics it looks distracting. Not that I really watch many videos on my iPhone anymore, but still...OCD hard on that.

Can we talk about how when they demo'd video playback, the notch fucking cut out the side of the picture. That would drive me nuts.

I don't mind the notch but they should really just not use the screen on either side of it for video play back. It does look weird.

mrkgoo

I'm in the market for a new iPhone (still on the 5 lol), and I think the iPhone X is sweet, but it's too rich for me at the moment.

It's about nz$1799 which is us$1250 for the 64gb.

And I feel the iPhone 8 is a weird stop gap. If I can stretch for the iPhone X I may as well go iPhone 7.

Socivol

Say what you will about Samsung copying but they got Apple beat.

I agree. It blows my mind how just a few cycles ago the GS line was shitty plastic and then the S6 hit and I have felt that Samsung has out designed the iPhone since. It's crazy how the tides have changed.

Valtýr

Is it just me or does the pixel density seem low? There are phones 2 years older with a higher resolution and pixel density.

Natiko

Banned
Any idea how phone companies are going to handle this yet? Will T-Mobile be asking for X amount up front and then the monthly payments will be comparable to other high end phones or will it instead just be like $45/month with no down payment?

So what is the physical size of the X comparable to? It seems more like a plus than a normal-sized iPhone. I was hoping for the equivalent of the iPhone 7 with a bigger screen size. But this seems more like some halfway house shit.

Arcteryx

Any idea how phone companies are going to handle this yet? Will T-Mobile be asking for X amount up front and then the monthly payments will be comparable to other high end phones or will it instead just be like $45/month with no down payment?

I'm sure it'll be the same as they currently do it (T-Mobile at least). IF I go for it, I bet I'm looking at $200+tax down (for the 64GB), as the price gap is pretty large.

Jigolo

Yay a complete chip from Apple. No more powerVR. Should be cool

Part of the reason I skipped iPad Pro 10.5

border

I would love to hear Jony Ive or whoever it is explain why they thought the cutout notch on the screen was a good idea. It just looks absolutely terrible. I'd expect such lame pragmatism from a budget Android company, but not a company like Apple that worships at the altar of design/aesthetics.

rekameohs

Banned
The notch is fucking hideous when playing media content. I was thinking of getting the X, but I think I'll wait and see what next year has and keep the 6S for now.

Not gonna lie, kinda disappointed. I was hoping FaceID would be better than what they showed based on the "two years ahead of everyone else" comments. They specifically mentioned having to hold the phone up to your face which goes against unlocking it while laying flat on a table, and then seemingly implied that twins can fool it? Hopefully they work hard toward a FaceID 2.0 that makes everyone not miss TouchID being gone.

Yeah, they seriously better have a resize option that just makes the "ears" on the sides of the notch black during full-screen media viewing.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
No.

Especially not at that price and when the phone won't get the newest OS in 3-4 years,

wachie

So what is the physical size of the X comparable to? It seems more like a plus than a normal-sized iPhone. I was hoping for the equivalent of the iPhone 7 with a bigger screen size. But this seems more like some halfway house shit.
Bigger screen than the Plus in almost the same physical body of the 7.

Not gonna lie, kinda disappointed. I was hoping FaceID would be better than what they showed based on the "two years ahead of everyone else" comments. They specifically mentioned having to hold the phone up to your face which goes against unlocking it while laying face down on a table, and then seemingly implied that twins can fool it? Hopefully they work hard toward a FaceID 2.0 that makes everyone not miss TouchID being gone.

I could've sworn they showed the phone lying flat on the floor while scanning the face of a woman in a pool.

Arcteryx

What do you guys mean by the "notch"

untitlednwsse.png

Oxn

Why the fuck would people want a bigger phone with a smaller screen?

I think you may be confused

Because of the super wide format of the new iphone. Even though its longer edge to edge. The surface area is smaller

For example a 9.7 inch ipad has more screen than a 10.1 inch android tablet.

f@luS

More than a member.
keeping my 7 for another year I guess. will be picking up the watch 3 tho
Same for my 7+. 8+ feels the same and C'X not worth it for the entry price

Though I bought an Apple Watch 2 2 month ago I'm tempted for the 3... for one reason

I use map on my moto from the Watch. Does having cellular means no more lag for the map ?

It's just for daytime. I have few runners up brand watches I wear for work at night (Rolex or AP)

Top Bottom