• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alt Right Combo meal: Bannon, Milo, Coulter to speak at "Free Speech" at UC Berkeley

joe2187

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ant-get-indoor-venues/?utm_term=.b6f2d6a62454

So they're celebrating "Free Speech" week through a Milo Yiannopoulos funded event that seems to be having a few hiccups since the student union that invited them doesnt even have their shit together.

Organizers of the “Free Speech Week” at the University of California at Berkeley insisted Monday that the event will go on, despite school officials’ announcement that some large indoor venues could not be rented for the events.

“We’ll do it outdoors if we need to,” said Pranav Jandhyala, a sophomore who is a member of the Berkeley Patriot, the student group that invited provocative writer Milo Yiannopoulos and others to campus. He said that conservative commentator Ann Coulter, frequent critic of Islam Pamela Geller and former chief White House strategist Stephen K. Bannon are all planning to speak there next week.

Coulter, and a spokeswoman for Bannon, did not immediately respond to requests for comment Monday. Geller said she is planning to speak. University officials released a list of speakers they said had been confirmed that did not include Coulter, Geller or Bannon.

The events were promised by Yiannopoulos after his own speech was canceled amid violent protests in February. When anti-fascist and other extremist protesters began smashing windows and lighting fires amid a large group of students peacefully protesting his talk, university police shut down the event.

That set off charges that Berkeley, the home of the Free Speech Movement of the 1960s and a symbol for some of left-leaning college campuses, was stifling conservative speech. School officials countered that they had to ensure safety but were committed to the First Amendment. As the school year began with a new chancellor, Carol Christ, she promised to make this “the year of free speech” on campus, reminding the community that it is a defining value for the state flagship school.

legacyzero

Banned
You know what? Let them. As a matter of fact, actually GO to the speech. But not to listen. But to shit all over it. LOUDLY.

"stifling conservative speech"

Hasn't Milo done shit like out trans students at his appearances? "Free speech" is a fucking smokescreen.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So they want to incite some level of horrific violence to tarnish the image of the school so they can get good footage for recruitment and say "see! Violence!"

It's fucking bait. They want people to come out and erupt into a violent protest so they can point to the left and say "look! They're equally as violent as what happened in Charlottesville!".

As a Berkeley Alum, I hope the students are smart enough to peacefully protest or completely ignore it. They want the anger, so don't feed the trolls.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Who the fuck are these people that keep inviting these sacks of shit to colleges? Every goddamn week something like this happens.

legacyzero

Banned
"stifling conservative speech"

Hasn't Milo done shit like out trans students at his appearances? "Free speech" is a fucking smokescreen.
Even I defended Milo speaking until he did that, and defended pedophilia. At that point, nope, you're on your own, bruh.
Who the fuck are these people that keep inviting these sacks of shit to colleges?
Conservative Christian students who want to upset he left.

Particularly the safe space angry left. Campuses are getting pretty rough out there.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I foresee this going well with no issues what-so-ever and plenty of level headed honest talk.

Who even attends this school? They give a platform to some of the nastiest people I've ever seen.

It's not the school. Any student organization has the right to invite any speaker they wish. The Berkeley republicans are little shits who pull stunts to get attention.

Plumbob

Who even attends this school? They give a platform to some of the nastiest people I've ever seen.

Is this a real question about the composition of the student body, or are you just expressing your frustration that a public school can't ban people arbitrarily?

I'm hoping violence doesn't break out, but if it does I'm hoping each of Coulter, Bannon and Milo get a punch to the face

Every post I've read if your this morning is dripping with ignorance

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Saw an ad for this which involved Milo holding a semi auto gun and saying he is coming to Berkley, watch out

Hes a hard man to defend, and knows exactly what he is doing.

RinsFury

Need to keep showing up in huge numbers to send a message to anyone thinking of following the lead of these fucks. Send them quivering back underneath the rocks they crawled out from.

RPGCrazied

Need to keep showing up in huge numbers to send a message to anyone thinking of following the lead of these fucks. Send them quivering back underneath the rocks they crawled out from.

Hard to do when Trump became President and shown the light on them. It starts with him.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's not the school. Any student organization has the right to invite any speaker they wish. The Berkeley republicans are little shits who pull stunts to get attention.
I can't imagine the series of events to have happened in my life to lead to me becoming a college republican. Fucking Westboro Baptist Jr.

Now if someone wanted to do a "PoC nationalist/non-Christian/Anti-military/America sucks" speech movement on conservative campuses these three would be the first to say how anti American it is and should be stamped out.

Hell I imagine MANY folks would be against it.

Teh Lurv

It's fucking bait. They want people to come out and erupt into a violent protest so they can point to the left and say "look! They're equally as violent as what happened in Charlottesville!".

As a Berkeley Alum, I hope the students are smart enough to peacefully protest or completely ignore it. They want the anger, so don't feed the trolls.

This. For these folk, actually speaking there without incident is the worst possible outcome. They want the violence and be to be denied admission so they can hop the conservative/alt-right speaking circuit as the victims while plugging their latest book.

This is exactly it. Their power is through conflict and controversy

zero_suit

Now if someone wanted to do a "PoC nationalist/non-Christian/Anti-military/America sucks" speech movement on conservative campuses these three would be the first to say how anti American it is and should be stamped out.

You know it.

The threads on here would be cathartic to say the least.

Bronx-Man

Banned

"Mizzou invites Assata Shakur to speak on campus"

IMAGINE the shitstorm following that!

a.wd

Go, Turn up wearing black hoodies. When they start talking stand up turn around and play on your phone.

Silent protest, dont throw things dont get anti-fascist.

Just quietly and forcefully ruin them.

They feed on the controversy, let them in and then starve them.

As they leave the college, everyone turn their backs on them.

Zolo

Go, Turn up wearing black hoodies. When they start talking stand up turn around and play on your phone.

This sounds like the right strategy.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

i like this

Cruxist

So, real question. Why does Berkeley have the streak of anarchists/antifa/whatever? It's not just recently either, there have been events in years past where anarchists just go to town specifically in Berkeley

Top Bottom