• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I have yet to manage to complete a Souls game, it's not that I don't like them. I do. I just always end up reaching a point where there is an enemy or group of enemies I hate dealing with so much that I drop the game. I've decided to give Dark Souls II a chance though, as I never have even though I own it on Steam.

Can anyone recommend a good build that won't have difficulty with any specific enemy types through out the game? Other than that, any general tips would be nice.

I'm a newbie at this game as well so I can't offer any personal wisdom, but I've found this "Comprehensive Beginner's Guide" by VaatiVidya to be a great resource for information and tips.

I have yet to manage to complete a Souls game, it's not that I don't like them. I do. I just always end up reaching a point where there is an enemy or group of enemies I hate dealing with so much that I drop the game. I've decided to give Dark Souls II a chance though, as I never have even though I own it on Steam.

Can anyone recommend a good build that won't have difficulty with any specific enemy types through out the game? Other than that, any general tips would be nice.

My first completion was DemonSouls. Right now I can breeze through that game know what I know.

However when you first start these game are often fairly intimidating. The first area is almost always one of the toughest, you don't have items and stats to breeze by it. One thing that really hurt me early was not wanting to use items. I would hold off because I was never sure where a bombfire would be.

Best advice I can offer. Go get a bow and arrows. Then cheese it. The most difficult part of these games outside of bosses, is dealing with multiple enemies. There is a reason the dregs killed the most players in every game. Because they are meant to swarm and stun lock players. That is the real difficulty. Learning how to manage enemies.

Agro one and kill one. Then repeat. Take it slow, don't be afraid to die or lose souls. Once you get to level 60 in any of these games, you won't need more unless you have items you really want to use.

Build wise, if you want a sold build that will get you through the game smoothly (not easily mind you) you should go for either:
Strength build with a strike weapon (mace, craftsman hammer, or a big great hammer weapon if you want something comically large) The craftsman hammer has good counter damage, where you attack while the enemy is still in their animation/finishing their animation. You can get a ring to buff the counter damage too. Most of the enemies in the game are weak to strike.

Strength build with a thrust weapon (the grand lance got me through my first playthrough, and it killed the final boss in about 3 sets of 3 light attacks) Again, this shines due to it's ridiculous counter damage.

Dex build with a rapier. You literally become Star Platinum from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in terms of the amount of stabs you can do.

You can get all the weapons I mentioned really early in the game too, as in within the first 2 main areas, which helps.

In terms of general tips, the best thing to know is your movement, rolling, and how quick you drink your Estus is tied to your agility stat, which you level up by putting points into adaptability and something else that I can't remember, maybe attunement? Anyway, getting agility to 105 will give you the same invincibility frames in your roll as a fast roll in Dark Souls 1, so getting that to 105 should be a priority during the early parts of the game.

Also, the Souls level meta is 200, as you gain levels really quickly on this game. There's also a covenant you can join that's up a hill in the hub area, Majula. Don't join this, as it is basically a hard mode for the game.

How far am I into the game if I'm at the
Iron Keep
with only
the pit in Majula
left as the other way of progress? I did find a third location that's barred.

Got into DS2 right before finishing DS1 and I think the burnout finally settled in, lol..

Edit: I really like the build diversity in this game. In DS1 I just went with an Iaito and a shield (Grass Crest of course) alongside Pyromancy(mostly Combustion), but now I'm rocking a maxed magic-infused Twinblade and a Sorcerer's Staff +10. And I just randomly decided to infuse some claws (to +6) with Bleed and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I got the Dragonrider Twinblade and I'll max then infuse it when the time comes.

Armor is Imported Tunic +6 (I've got a thing for capes!), Wanderer Hood +2, Wanderer Boots +2 and Jester's Gloves. It rocks!

Ascheroth

How far am I into the game if I'm at the
Iron Keep
with only
the pit in Majula
left as the other way of progress? I did find a third location that's barred.

Got into DS2 right before finishing DS1 and I think the burnout finally settled in, lol..
Uh, if we include the DLCs I think you're about halfway though the game, probably a bit more.

My friend started playing (oh how I envy him for living that first Souls game experience). So I made a character too, in order to be around his soul memory for some coop every now and then, but for some reason it seems like we can't summon each other at all.

I tried googling for an answer, but couldn't find anything. Maybe someone here could have an idea what's the issue here.

Shortly:

- he can't see my sign
- I can't see his sign
- both get summoned into other people's games so online works
- soul memory should be around the same (I guess we need to double check because he did kill one boss)
- group voice chat works so I am guessing no connection issues

On PS4

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
- Use this tool to be sure you're in range.
- Also, you should use the name-engraved ring and set it to the same deity. Not only will it prevent randoms from getting you, but it increases the SM range.
- Make sure whoever is summoning is in human form ;) pop an Effigy to be sure.

- Use this tool to be sure you're in range.
- Also, you should use the name-engraved ring and set it to the same deity. Not only will it prevent randoms from getting you, but it increases the SM range.
- Make sure whoever is summoning is in human form ;) pop an Effigy to be sure.

Thanks, hopefully these will help!

...also it took a surprising amount of time and tries before I myself remembered the summoner had to be in human form lol.

Farks!

So I just defeated
The Pursuer
. After a few tries on my own I chickened out and summoned someone. Felt a bit cheap, but it was still quite a challenge. I get the impression that this boss is a real early game showstopper?

Regarding equipment, is it worth spending shards and stuff on weapons this early in the game? Any general, but non-spoiler, advice on how to approach weapons upgrades through the whole game?

6for8

Thanks, hopefully these will help!

...also it took a surprising amount of time and tries before I myself remembered the summoner had to be in human form lol.

A few more tips for coop.

- Have cross region play enabled

- Host can't have the effigy effect in the bonfire

- Host can't have their own sign down

- Both of you should stay out of the champion's covenant

- Host can't despawn all the enemies in the area. Not sure but the boss could count as one alive (you can summon with the small sign when the boss is dead).

I assume I'm 60-70% through the game. I'm at the
Shrine of Amana.

I'm going for a DEX/INT build.

Which armor should I use? So far the only two plausible options (except the Wanderer Set) are the Black Leather set and the Grave Warden set that I've found. Is there any other good light armor set in the game?

As for the weapons, I discovered powerstancing quiiite late into the game, so I dumped most of my souls and chunks into a Scimitar +7 - Fire Longsword +5, then a magic twinblade +10, and then a Dragonrider Twinblade +4. So I have a question, what sort of weapon would be good for DEX/INT powerstancing? I'm currently using two Blacksteel Katanas (+7 and +1) but I'd used a katana for all of DS1 so I want to try something new.

gogosox82

I assume I'm 60-70% through the game. I'm at the
Shrine of Amana.

I'm going for a DEX/INT build.

Which armor should I use? So far the only two plausible options (except the Wanderer Set) are the Black Leather set and the Grave Warden set that I've found. Is there any other good light armor set in the game?

As for the weapons, I discovered powerstancing quiiite late into the game, so I dumped most of my souls and chunks into a Scimitar +7 - Fire Longsword +5, then a magic twinblade +10, and then a Dragonrider Twinblade +4. So I have a question, what sort of weapon would be good for DEX/INT powerstancing? I'm currently using two Blacksteel Katanas (+7 and +1) but I'd used a katana for all of DS1 so I want to try something new.

You can use any weapon you want really. It just depends on what you like. Same with armor. Just kind of depends on what you think looks good and what kind of roll you want to have.

You can use any weapon you want really. It just depends on what you like. Same with armor. Just kind of depends on what you think looks good and what kind of roll you want to have.

Thanks. I was mostly asking for weapons because I have nothing Dex-focused that looks cool to powerstance with ;_;

At worst, back to Dragonrider Twinblade we go.

Farks!

Thanks. I was mostly asking for weapons because I have nothing Dex-focused that looks cool to powerstance with ;_;

I was wondering about DEX weapon myself, and finally just said "fuck it" and spent my shards on the rapier. And it turned out to be an excellent choice, it's currently at +6 doing ~200 dmg per hit and is very fast! But I'm not as far into the game as you so you might have even better options available.

I was wondering about DEX weapon myself, and finally just said "fuck it" and spent my shards on the rapier. And it turned out to be an excellent choice, it's currently at +6 doing ~200 dmg per hit and is very fast! But I'm not as into the game as you so you might have even better options available.

The rapier class is probably the best Dex weapon in DS2.

It's basically this:

tumblr_n3z9q5CBAI1s0rmumo2_500.gif

gogosox82

Well there are three types of weapons I like to duel wield.

1. Rapiers- you can use just basic rapiers that you can buy at the beginning of the game. They have no stat requirements and do a ton of damage, especially to bosses.

2. Whips- Particularly Old Whips. Damage is insane but really really really low durability. Will be a pain until you unlock Wellengar then its fine.

3. Warped Swords- Great damage but you have kill Flexile Sentry twice, and you need dragon bones to upgrade and stat requirements are kind of high to duel wield but they are fun as hell when you get that combo off and its really easy to apply debuffs (poison or bleed) with them.

Ferr986

I'm beating all Dark Souls games again and after 3 (NG+) and 1 (NG) I'm doing my first NG+ run of DS2 on PS4 (I only did it once on 360, on PS4 I just did NG runs with different builds , although I used ascetic for cetain stuff) and man.... I didn't remember it being this brutal lol

Right now I'm having fun with this new red phantom at the entrance of the Castle that can two-hit me with his spin2win while he poise through my attacks lol

FunnyJay

Neo Member
Currently on my first run through the game. Finished Sinner's rise and Iron Keep, currently going down the pit.

Man,
The Gutter
is a bit boring, right?

Like Blighttown but
covered in darkness
I totally missed the second bonfire as well. Had to wiki it to actually figure out where it was.

And then
Black Gulch
after it. That's where I am right now, getting wacked by
scripted invaders while being shot by those damned poison statues
. Not very fun that either. Does the next few areas get "better"?

Ferr986

Currently on my first run through the game. Finished Sinner's rise and Iron Keep, currently going down the pit.

Man,
The Gutter
is a bit boring, right?

Like Blighttown but
covered in darkness
I totally missed the second bonfire as well. Had to wiki it to actually figure out where it was.

And then
Black Gulch

IMO yes, latter areas and the DLC are better.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Man,
The Gutter
is a bit boring, right?

Like Blighttown but
covered in darkness

And then
Black Gulch

Yes. Black Gulch is very short, if you hate it you'll be done with it shortly and the rest is better.

I didn't mind the Gutter myself though, and Black Gulch has its charm but I can see why someone would hate it haha. At least it's short.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
IMO yes, latter areas and the DLC are better.

I find that reassuring!
Personally, I really enjoyed Forest of Fallen giants, Huntsman's Copse, Earthen Peak and Iron keep and I'm hoping there are some more areas like them left in the game.

I gotta say though, the areas that are covered in darkness (The Gutter / No man's wharf) are interesting in that I feel you have to change your approach entirely. However, when they are filled with lots of cheap enemies/traps, it kind of makes me tired of the area quicker.

I can certainly see why some choose to skip No man's wharf entirely by going
by the raven to Lost Bastille
. It took me a really long time to slog through that area.

Edit: BTW, does Earthen Peak and Iron keep remind anyone else of Sen's fortress? (That is as far as I ever came when I played the original Dark Souls.)

Maybe not in layout but in general tone and style.

Started another character on this and have beaten the old tree thing and the fat dragon slayer thing so far. Is a dex faith build viable here? What's a good dex weapon? I so far have a long sword leveled to +2, but that's not going to be my main weapon.

Ferr986

Started another character on this and have beaten the old tree thing and the fat dragon slayer thing so far. Is a dex faith build viable here? What's a good dex weapon? I so far have a long sword leveled to +2, but that's not going to be my main weapon.

Dex builds are very viable, Katanas and Rapiers tend to be the better ones (Chaos Blade and Ice Rapier are OP).

Dex builds are very viable, Katanas and Rapiers tend to be the better ones (Chaos Blade and Ice Rapier are OP).
I'm currently running around with an Uchigatana...+5...I think? I just beat the Ruined Sentinels...I hated that fight, needed both those summons. I have unlocked Huntsmans Copse and Sinners Rise and ended up getting fucked up by some bullshit wicked ambush in there. They dropped like three of those tall stick wielding dudes and after trying to run I just kept aggroing more shit. What is the soft cap for stats? I also want to start leveling up Int, but I don't want to mess my build up that much.

Farks!

My god, Iron Keep just isn't giving me any breaks. The area isn't that hard per se, but all of the bow wielding foes makes it tedious. Constantly having to lure melee enemies into positions shielded from kiters, and so on. And I seem to be having bad luck all the time, like rolling just slightly wrong and falling into the lava, controller losing connection, and so on.

My god, Iron Keep just isn't giving me any breaks. The area isn't that hard per se, but all of the bow wielding foes makes it tedious. Constantly having to lure melee enemies into positions shielded from kiters, and so on. And I seem to be having bad luck all the time, like rolling just slightly wrong and falling into the lava, controller losing connection, and so on.
At the very least my character can use a bow. Hopefully I'll be spared the bullshit of this area.

Top Bottom