• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Moana the best animated film Disney has ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
Yes.

It's fantastic and watching it on a full color super high res Harkins Theatres screen was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life

Watching it on your phone can't compare.

In Aladdin, the main female character's role is Object of Affection. Disqualifies it for me. Same with Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and so many others

So i watched this recently and its uncanny how similar this is to mononoke hime.

The basic plot in both movies is that anti heroes (not villains but rather people with ow interest that have redeemable qualities but make
Grave mistakes) steel an important
Part of a deity (heart ir head) the deity turns into a monster and plagues the world. The heroes restore the world with the help of the antiheroes
And everything turns normal. The antiheroes learn valuable lessons and the heroes are celebrated.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty damn good, but wasn't even the best animated film of 2016. There were lots of great animated films last year (and also full of duds, naturally – I'm still mad about the mediocrity of Finding Dory), particularly Kubo and the Two Strings and Red Turtle.

Sunster

please, a movie where a damn song is played every 10 minutes, how can be the best movie in anything?

tumblr_on310gwfoH1r9dm6no1_r1_500.gif

you mean like almost all Disney movies?

Durden77

Watched this the other night, I can't get the music out of my head.

But I don't think it's their best film. Especially if you're classifying Disney Animation as all their previous efforts in 2d as well. Even if you're not, I still don't think it was.

The animation was just gorgeous and the music was wonderful, but a decent amount of the jokes just fell completely and noticeably flat for me. Especially Maui's introduction. ("It's called a tweet"....really. Chickens don't even tweet and that's a lame joke anyway). But it did lead to "Your Welcome" which was truly wonderful.

I also thought some of the plot devices where just not that great. One example...*late movie spoilers*
Maui's change of heart at the end to come help Moana.
Felt way to convenient and not suitably earned. Most of the characters, besides Moana herself who was excellent, motive's weren't that clearly defined.

I greatly enjoyed it though and it was a lot of fun to watch. And the music is some of Disney's absolute best.

I will say though that Tamatoa's scene is one of my favorite in Disney history, and "Shiny" may be my favorite Disney song ever. That entire scene with him was just fucking incredible.

Mossybrew

I will say though that Tamatoa's scene is one of my favorite in Disney history, and "Shiny" may be my favorite Disney song ever. That entire scene with him was just fucking incredible.

Well Tamatoa hasn't always been this glam
I was a drab little crab once

Hah, yeah, definitely the highlight of the movie.

maxcriden

If we don't count Pixar as Disney, then yes, I think it must be. I'm surprised how much it sticks with me. Nearly five months later I'm still humming the tunes.

Ultryx

Just watched it a few nights ago with my girlfriend. It's a great movie, but not the best. No way. The music is fantastic though!

Vlaphor

I liked it quite a bit, but I still find the one-two punch of Aladdin and Lion King to be best of Disney's output in my opinion. This is probably due to the fact that I was at the perfect age when these movies were released, but that's how I feel.

I will say that Moana is probably the best film I've seen in 2017 though, or at least it ties with Logan.

It's a fun movie, really dug the soundtrack, I don't think there's a miss with the musical numbers for myself.
The best? nope but for what it's worth I saw Beauty and the Beast for the first time two days prior and I enjoyed Moana more, just to leave some folks shook here.

Really though as someone who was late to pretty much every animated Disney feature outside the two I did get to see as a kid (the Lion King and Bambi) it's interesting seeing the comparisons between the 90's run and the modern run having seen most for the first time within the last 4 years or so, simply put I don't see much of a clear cut division in styles and quality outside of the animation itself.

kunonabi

Watched this the other night, I can't get the music out of my head.

But I don't think it's their best film. Especially if you're classifying Disney Animation as all their previous efforts in 2d as well. Even if you're not, I still don't think it was.

The animation was just gorgeous and the music was wonderful, but a decent amount of the jokes just fell completely and noticeably flat for me. Especially Maui's introduction. ("It's called a tweet"....really. Chickens don't even tweet and that's a lame joke anyway). But it did lead to "Your Welcome" which was truly wonderful.

I also thought some of the plot devices where just not that great. One example...*late movie spoilers*
Maui's change of heart at the end to come help Moana.
Felt way to convenient and not suitably earned. Most of the characters, besides Moana herself who was excellent, motive's weren't that clearly defined.

I greatly enjoyed it though and it was a lot of fun to watch. And the music is some of Disney's absolute best.

That was the part of the movie I hated the most.

Yeah I didn't like it at all. No bueno.

Yeah, there were a lot of short cuts in the worst places. Like grandma showing Moana the boats, then when Moana and her father are arguing out in the woods, they find grandma's cane, and the villagers where they just came from start screaming about the grandmother. Cue dramatic last conversation.

Like, that whole sequence could not have been more clumsy.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Probably already mentioned multiple times but Moana is too heavily inspired by The Little Mermaid to be considered "best", in my opinion. Still a very good animated film.

Edit: people noticed that "Where you are" is rhythmically identical to "Under the Sea", right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom