• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Magicians - an adaptation of the Lev Grossman Series - S2 - Wed on SyFy

Status
Not open for further replies.
New episode tonight:
Word as Bond

Eliot hovers between life and death while Margo is forced to take charge of Fillory. Alice makes it increasingly difficult for Quentin to keep his secret to himself, and Julia loses her shade.

DrBo42

Uncorked Julia is better than niffin Alice. Although Alice was a lot better tonight than previous episodes this season. Feel like they need to resolve either of them quick though and move on to bigger things.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
New Julia is fun, but dangerous. Margo continues to be the MVP of Season 2. She's had a couple really solid growth episodes recently.

DrBo42

New Julia is fun, but dangerous. Margo continues to be the MVP of Season 2. She's had a couple really solid growth episodes recently.

Margo has been uneven for me but I agree she's had a lot to work with in recent episodes. Although her banging Prince S felt like "Margo needs to have sex at some point this season" and her accent in the beginning of the heist episode is all over the place.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I must have missed it, what happened to elliot?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I must have missed it, what happened to elliot?
During the bank heist the magician security guard killed his clone on their last redo interrupting the connection and putting his real body in a catatonic state.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I can barely remember. Golem version was killed in the bank heist? They shrugged it off at the time but it resulted in the real version in Fillory going into a coma.

During the bank heist the magician security guard killed his clone on their last redo interrupting the connection and putting his real body in a catatonic state.

Oh
I didn't get the penny thing at the end of that episode so that explains it

kirblar

Margo has been uneven for me but I agree she's had a lot to work with in recent episodes. Although her banging Prince S felt like "Margo needs to have sex at some point this season" and her accent in the beginning of the heist episode is all over the place.
She was trying and failing to do a gangster accent w the heist thing and they really shoupd have dropped the idea.

Ok just saw the first episode after heavy recommendation from friends and wow that was amazing.

I gotta ask the obvious question, but is the adaptation worth sticking with if I want to consume more?

As in, are the books noticeably better or if I watch season 1 and 2 and then continue with the novels I'll be fine? More often than not the answer is always that the novels are far superior, but once in a while an adaptation pulls it off so might as well ask

Ok just saw the first episode after heavy recommendation from friends and wow that was amazing.

I gotta ask the obvious question, but is the adaptation worth sticking with if I want to consume more?

As in, are the books noticeably better or if I watch season 1 and 2 and then continue with the novels I'll be fine? More often than not the answer is always that the novels are far superior, but once in a while an adaptation pulls it off so might as well ask

The TV series is definitely work sticking with. I've read the first 2 novels and I'm currently reading the 3rd while watching season 2 of the show.

The TV series is definitely work sticking with. I've read the first 2 novels and I'm currently reading the 3rd while watching season 2 of the show.
So it's not necessarily that one is immediately superior to the other? I've read some differences lists and it doesn't seem folks say that the novels are superior, just that there are some differences with the way plot lines are brought up, differences in the characters ages, one character being replaced for another in the tv series, etc

But I also enjoy reading so if one is ultimately better I might try to read before watching the show and give time for season 2 to finish so I can binge both

So it's not necessarily that one is immediately superior to the other? I've read some differences lists and it doesn't seem folks say that the novels are superior, just that there are some differences with the way plot lines are brought up, differences in the characters ages, one character being replaced for another in the tv series, etc

But I also enjoy reading so if one is ultimately better I might try to read before watching the show and give time for season 2 to finish so I can binge both

That might be the way to go for you. The books definitely go in depth more and the show has shifted certain events, characters around but I think they have done a solid job with adapting the material.

First time in the series Julia was actually likable. Margo continues her awesomeness.

Was it just me or was this episode edited really weird? Seemed like commercials were randomly in the middle of scenes

finished season 1. I enjoy the change in dynamics of what it means to be a protagonist, but in any other show
Alice would be the protagonist, and Quentin would just be the geek with knowledge

someday

Banned
First time in the series Julia was actually likable. Margo continues her awesomeness.

Was it just me or was this episode edited really weird? Seemed like commercials were randomly in the middle of scenes
I noticed this too. It was weird.

This show is really good. I'm not too thrilled with Margo right now and that's a big change but I'm really enjoying everyone else. Quentin has always been the weak link to me and that hasn't changed. If anything, the Alice-niffin has made him more interesting than ever.

New episode tonight:
Lesser Evils

Quentin nears what could be a literal dead end to his Alice situation. Eliot risks his life for his kingdom, and to protect him, Margo promises something that isn't hers to give. Julia, Kady, and Penny find Reynard's son, but their discovery comes with serious consequences.

kirblar

The AV Club misses that a big part of the show is adapting classic legends/myth into real life and how terrifying that would be- the "give up the firstborn" thing falls right into that.

A question about the first season:

What the hell happened to Pete?

UoK3Tzg.png

2nd week in a row where the commercial breaks and edits seemed to come out of nowhere. Weird, because it's the only show I watch right now that seems to do it.

Julia w/out her shade really doesn't care about anyone.

Elliot and his wife singing before the battle was a lot of fun, ending to the duel with the king seemed to come out of nowhere.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
2nd week in a row where the commercial breaks and edits seemed to come out of nowhere. Weird, because it's the only show I watch right now that seems to do it.

I haven't watched the newest episode yet, but I noticed this in the last one. If it happened twice, then it isn't just an editing mistake. And it happened with pretty much every commercial break in Episode 8. It's like the show isn't being written with those breaks in mind anymore. It's super weird. They're happening like midsentence.

I haven't watched the newest episode yet, but I noticed this in the last one. If it happened twice, then it isn't just an editing mistake. And it happened with pretty much every commercial break in Episode 8. It's like the show isn't being written with those breaks in mind anymore. It's super weird. They're happening like midsentence.

Yeah, it can be pretty jarring. Especially considering the show already moves at a fast pace and goes to different moments quickly.

Grizzlyjin

I'm always up for some Les Miserables. The musical scene before Elliott's duel was great. Nice moment of levity.

Block out the fucks, got a little late with one of the later ones but cunt is okay when I'm pretty sure the latter is considered much more offensive in the U.S.

lol

The Les Mis bit was great.

I'm beginning to think Alice isn't coming back.

>.>

I hope she didn't die (again) on the way back to her home planet. I need Alice/Olivia Taylor Dudley in my Magicians viewing.

New episode tonight:
The Girl Who Told Time

A haunting vision moves Quentin to help Julia recover her shade. Penny and Kady search for an overdue library book for The Order, but find an unusual front for magic in the process. In Fillory, Margo tries to hide the deal she made with the Fairies and Eliot's wedding plans get kicked up a notch.

Good to see they fixed the issues with the weird edits between scenes/commercials. I didn't notice it all this episode.

The goodbye scene between Alice from the different timeline/Quentin was well done.

Looks like Q and Julia are off to see a dragon.

^^^
Yep. Season 2 is a huge jump in quality over season one. This and The Expanse back to back is pretty much the best night of TV Syfy has ever had to offer.

New episode tonight:
The Rattening

Quentin and Julia go on a journey to retrieve her lost shade. Margo finds it increasingly difficult to keep her secret deal with the Fairies from Eliot, and Penny makes a new acquaintance while trying to break into the Library's Poison Room.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
You know what I don't get? Penny joined the Librarians so that they'd fix his hands so he could work magic again. That seemed to be the condition of his joining the order. Now that he's their indentured servant for a million years they tell him he has to worry about that on his own time. Wouldn't that be a breech of terms or something? It seems like he's getting shafted. A handy plot hole so at least now they have an inside man for the super guarded "poison room" I guess.

Edit: OMG, am I an episode behind? I watch the series via amazon and buy the episodes as they become available. I think I just spoiled myself reading a spoiler, blah! I thought I was up to date but I guess they're on a delayed release schedule.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
You know what I don't get? Penny joined the Librarians so that they'd fix his hands so he could work magic again. That seemed to be the condition of his joining the order. Now that he's their indentured servant for a million years they tell him he has to worry about that on his own time. Wouldn't that be a breech of terms or something? It seems like he's getting shafted. A handy plot hole so at least now they have an inside man for the super guarded "poison room" I guess.

Edit: OMG, am I an episode behind? I watch the series via amazon and buy the episodes as they become available. I think I just spoiled myself reading a spoiler, blah! I thought I was up to date but I guess they're on a delayed release schedule.
IIIRC, their "help" is access to the library and the freedom to study during his downtime. Remember he got banned from the library last season.

So i just finished season 1 and i can say what in the actual fuck did I just watch. It like Harry Potter on acid. The gore and blood and not to mention the sex is insane.

Gonna start season 2. Pray to god moth man dies.

sturmdogg

So i just finished season 1 and i can say what in the actual fuck did I just watch. It like Harry Potter on acid. The gore and blood and not to mention the sex is insane.

Gonna start season 2. Pray to god moth man dies.

Moth man is pretty cool actually.

Wait, one thing I don't understand...why couldn't they bust out both Allison and Julia's shades? Why could they only bring one?

Moth man is pretty cool actually.

Wait, one thing I don't understand...why couldn't they bust out both Allison and Julia's shades? Why could they only bring one?

I'd take a guess in that Julia was missing hers and Q wasn't so it would probably only allow one to go through

Grizzlyjin

I'm an episode behind but I dug "The Girl Who Told Time." The scene between Q and the Alice from the other timeline was sweet. Kady and Julia especially have gotten better material this season. I'm actually invested in their storyline, as opposed to last season when I would mentally check out during their scenes. And I'm a huge fan of Marlee Matlin, so her guest appearance was a pleasant surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom