• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the lightsaber the best fictional weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDanger

Banned
It seems like nothing else comes even remotely close, George Lucas really thought of something special here. Also whoever was responsible for the sound effects was a fucking genius.

Goldboy

Probably, yeah. You're definitely right about the sound effects too, they're a huge part of the reason the lightsaber is so iconic.

From a movie yeah. From videogames the railgun from the quake series is great (yes I realize railguns are real, but not crazy handheld ones like that)

Arc

Yeah without a doubt it is.

But don't give Lucas too much credit. I'm sure it was someone else's idea.

Unit24

Considering you're referring to everything that was ever written, filmed, or programmed, no, chances are there's probably something better somewhere. Pick a smaller scope.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, it's lightsabers.

I also like the versatility of the Star Trek phaser, though it's not nearly as cool.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It seems like nothing else comes even remotely close, George Lucas really thought of something special here. Also whoever was responsible for the sound effects was a fucking genius.

Too bad they ruined them in TFA. Now when they ignite they go BONG. Kylo Ren's fucked up junkyard saber sounded awesome, though.

gb00.gif

pulse rifle is pretty good, atleast looks great

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well, I mean, that's part of the point right? Only Jedi/Sith/Force users can use the things without killing themselves.

They tossed that idea in 1979.

Vengal

A lightsaber without the force is no better then a sword. I feel like the best ironman armor is a better option for someone with no super powers.

You won't be blocking lasers with your light saber or even stop standard bullets without the force.

Definitely not for me.

As a kid I thought they were boring and lame...that has not changed :p

At least Kylo Ren's lightsaber is badass! Just like him!

TAJ

Speaking of railguns the improbable mini ones in Eraser were badass.
Here's some trivia you haven't heard. The warning label on the railguns in Eraser said "Warning! The x-ray setting of this device may cause sterility, organ failure, and rectal bleeding in human targets and should never be used on friendlies. Repeated use may also cause brain cancer in the operator."
lol

The real answer is the Bacalov Corrector from No One Lives Forever, which while a manual pistol, works like a hitscan rocket launcher.

Iron Guy Armor or Ultron
Green Lantern Ring
Full Hearts Master Sword (shooting magic at people, point at evil and win)
Ant Man Suit
Infinity Gauntlet
Golden Gun

Would any of these qualify?

gb00.gif

pulse rifle is pretty good, atleast looks great

Yeah it's either this or lightsaber, tough call. Having that proton pack w/trap toy was the coolest thing as a kid.

As for lightsaber sound, wasn't that achieved using electric lines or transformers (no not the robots) or somesuch? Feel like I saw some behind the scenes foley thing from the prequel dvd of them recording the new sounds using something like that.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
the M4A1 is kinda cool though

and the sword of omens would be a lot more useful than a lighsabre. knife/sword/gun/binoculars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom