• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata addresses region-locking at Nintendo investor Q&A

uh huh

reminds me of

PIU8MCr.gif

rjc571

Banned
I don't understand why these "various problems" only seem to apply to Nintendo and not to every other platform holder, all of whom do not region lock their platform.

I think the more Digital Distribution is embraced by Nintendo the less they will see the reason for region locking.

I can't help but feel the reason they have it now is at least partially they don't want anyone making money off of their products that isn't them (ie importers)
The problem there is the DSi introduced region locking to handhelds and I feel that was partly because of the online store (the other part being counterfeit cartridges, not so appealing to manufacture when you have to worry about region). Of course they were using points back then and had probably come off the back of this little headache (I could switch to Japan buy 1000 points for £5 and spend it on £7 worth of content, you don't have to be a maths genius to see the problem there...moreso when NCL are in the black by £5 while NOE are in the red by £7).

The 3DS eShop giving you a separate wallet for each country solved that headache completely. It is a shame NNID can along and spoiled the party (locked to a single country).

Still given how country locked NNIDs (refusing to sign into Nintendo Network at all if your system to the wrong country) are and "won't somebody please think of the children" I assume those are two of the "various problems to be solved"

Grizzo

Uh...I guess that's good news. I don't know, I can't really make anything of what he said.

But honest question: why were their handheld system region-free up until the 3DS (or DSi games), whereas all of their home consoles have always been region-locked?

I don't understand why these "various problems" only seem to apply to Nintendo and not to every other platform holder, all of whom do not region lock their platform.

Yeah also, this.

Mael

Another reason why I really didn't like the DSi and was rather lukewarm with their 3DS.
A handheld is made for moving and everything and they initially give it a shit battery, a special effect that's their entire point which is useless when moving and they make it unable to play games you buy while on vacation on the other side of the Earth.
Seriously a handheld should always be regionfree, not that I care I'm not buying their stuffs if I have to import it myself, really can't be arsed.

jimi_dini

Only reason Sony made such a big deal of it last year was because of Microsoft horrid policies before their 180.

Sony should keep their trap shut after Persona 4 Arena and Joysound Drive on the so called region free PS3. There were also region locked demos in the PSN store. And then there is the nightmare with DLC purchases. Some is region locked. Some isn't. Some is even version locked. Some other isn't. It's a nightmare.

They are also not releasing 1 multilingual European version of their games (that's what Nintendo is doing for ages), but instead release multiple to effectively force people to not import from UK. Uncharted 2+3 bought in UK is English only.

In case Nintendo goes region free with their home console, I really hope that they won't create such a mess with DLC and instead do it properly, so that I can buy for example an Asian copy and then buy the DLC in Europe.

duckroll

Because on existing platforms now, Nintendo is the only one who signed such agreements with all their partners. You have to honor those agreements, or find a way to dismantle them to everyone's satisfaction. All of the problems stem from Nintendo's poor decisions, but those are decisions they have to continue to live with, just like they have to live with the WiiU until they have a replacement.

jblank83

What exactly would these problems be? Somehow it doesn't seem like the other console manufacturers ran into any problems.

It doesn't protect customers or even benefit Nintendo much, if at all. Region locking is to protect retailers and subsidiaries (e.g. Atlus EU) whose profits would be hurt by importing from regions that either sell more cheaply or that release before they do.

As soon as this happens, I will buy a Wii U. Just give us a country select screen during setup and put the option to change it in the settings menu.

Mael

Sony should keep their trap shut after Persona 4 Arena and Joysound Drive on the so called region free PS3. And then there were region locked demos in the PSN store.

They are also not releasing 1 multilingual European version of their games (that's what Nintendo is doing for ages), but instead release multiple to effectively force people to not import from UK. Uncharted 2+3 bought in UK is English only.

Another reason why I never replay Sony's ps3 games, I bought them in France, played it 1rst time in French and want to replay it in another language? Not possible, so I play something else instead.

roknin

The DS was region free. It was the DSi that introduced it, but only for a handful of DSi enhanced games.

For me, other regions basically means US imports. Fucking Atlus and their late/non-existent EU releases...

DS was region free (I know, I have both Jump SuperStars which are never going to get out of Japan), the DSi introduced region locking but only for DSi specific titles / features.

3DS went full lock.

EDIT: beat

Thanks guys ^_^

I honestly couldn't remember since the last time I'd gotten a few imports was on the GBA. With the DS I was surprised I didn't take advantage of it when I could.

It wasn't until I considered getting Monster Hunter 3U that I paid attention to region locking with the 3DS. :'(

Nyoro SF

So there's some hope. But I shouldn't have to hope in the first place! I have so many Japanese games for my DS... The region locking on the 3DS is so perplexing.

saturnine

Sony should keep their trap shut after Persona 4 Arena and Joysound Drive on the so called region free PS3. There were also region locked demos in the PSN store. And then there is the nightmare with DLC purchases. Some is region locked. Some isn't. Some is even version locked. Some other isn't. It's a nightmare.

In case Nintendo goes region free with their home console, I really hope that they won't create such a mess with DLC and instead do it properly, so that I can buy for example an Asian copy and then buy the DLC in Europe.

Yeah, nobody ever talks about how DLC are still region locked. You can work around the lock on the PS3 by having a separate acount, but it's a pain in the ass. On the VITA you're just out of luck.

wiibomb

I still find depressing that to play Monster Hunter games without waiting months I have to buy a japanese 3DS

and that's when I have to wait, in comse cases like Monster Hunter 4 I never got the chance..

backwards Nintendo truly, I don't see other companies in such "dilemas" and they do not have that

Jeels

By the sounds of it, Nintendo's next system might be released in the same decade when region locking is considered by Nintendo to be potentially dropped.

Ya, I dont see why people are so excited by these statements. It was basically a non answer.

Waveset

First sensible comment I've ever read on region locking, unacceptable. I demand more inflammatory console-thumping.

Mr. RPG

It won't happen in this generation.

Which means no Dragon Quest VII ever in the west (unless you buy a Japanese 3DS).

upandaway

I really wish the question was explained better because he just gave Iwata a free ticket to non-answer land. The answer is a tiny bit positive, but it's full of holes.

Based on that answer, even the next console won't be region-free at all, at the minimum... which is a bummer. I guess Nintendo thinks that it's fine as long as they introduce the account system next console.

Kyoufu

So at least now Iwata acknowledges that it benefits the consumer which in turn benefits Nintendo. That's good.

His comment about the future makes me think that their next hardware release will possibly be region-free as opposed to unlocking their current hardware (Wii U, 3DS).

The latter already exists, btw.
Surely you know what this poster meant, BTW? I find these responses so annoying. When people on here refer to a proper account system, they mean one that they can associate and disassociate from a console themselves and reattach to another system to download all their purchases themselves. Without needing to contact/beg/plead with Nintendo. Without having to have two of the systems present to do a system transfer. Basically, without any bullshit. Like most other digitally-present companies at the moment.

Nintendo apologists. Annoy the heck out of me. BTW.

This was really the only answer they could give at this point, not really surprising. That isn't to say it's not good to see, but where they really going to eat the horrible press from saying that they think region locking is best for the consumer at this point? Seems unlikely.

Mithos

Q4: At present, your company's hardware and games make use of region-locking, by which games purchased in one region cannot be played in another region. Are there any plans to unlock this restriction?

A4: Iwata: The game business has a history of taking a very long time with localization among other things, such as having to deal with various issues of marketing in each particular country, or games that have made use of licensed content that did not apply globally, and had all kinds of circumstances, so to say, that region-locking has existed due to circumstances on the sellers' side rather than for the sake of the customers. In the history of game consoles, that is the current situation. As for what should be done going forward, if unlocked for the benefit of the customers, there may also be a benefit for us. Conversely, unlocking would require various problems to be solved, so while I can't say today whether or not we intend to unlock, we realize that it is one thing that we must consider looking to the future.

Q4b: Yeah about that... Where is Fatal Frame 5 announcement for USA/Europe? #WeWantFatalFrame

Mael

Seriously on a console kinds of make sense, and I'm being really generous.
On a handheld it's basically saying to your customers : "Don't ever travel with our products and please spend your money elsewhere"
What's the point of Streetpassing the whole world if the games aren't even compatible to begin with?
Surely handheld gamers can play locally and online regardless of regions! Why would you block their ability to trade/buy games?

jimi_dini

His comment about the future makes me think that their next hardware release will possibly be region-free as opposed to unlocking their current hardware (Wii U, 3DS).

You could in theory see this sentence:
As for what should be done going forward, if unlocked for the benefit of the customers, there may also be a benefit for us.

as "if we unlock Wii U + 3DS, there may also be a benefit for us."

Yeah, I'm going dumb and dumber on this, but there really is a tiny chance. I haven't bought a 3DS yet, Nintendo doing that would be a selling point.

AdanVC

Importing Japanese Limited Editions here we gooooo!
In 2017 probably but hey at least there's a little bit of hope now

zroid

Banned
There mere fact he acknowledges that it might be a good move for Ninendo's image is what helps me buy-in this time. If there's a twitter campaign or whatever, I'm down.

Sandfox

Ya, I dont see why people are so excited by these statements. It was basically a non answer.
He's not going to make that big of decision on the fly. People are just glad to hear that they're probably going to look into it for their next platform or something.

Andrefpvs

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still sour on the 3DS. Region-locking a handheld that you can take with you when travelling overseas? What the hell were they smoking?

Sandfox

Or wait for region free and translation patch capabilities to become available via homebrew. The Homebrew Channel for 3DS is expected to be released within a few weeks.
The chances of a translation patch actually being completed seem very low to me.

rpmurphy

He's not going to make that big of decision on the fly. People are just glad to hear that they're probably going to look into it for their next platform or something.
Even then, people shouldn't expect wholesale region-unlocking. The best case would still have region-locking decided by publishers and locking purchases of digital content in a particular country/region to that country/region alone, which are common practices.

Top Bottom