• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II spotted in Amazon.es for the Xbox One.

I know people like to argue that this kind of game has no audience on Xbox, but I don't buy that. People used to think that Japanese games had no place on the PC platform, but thanks to games like Dark Souls, Japan started to embrace the platform.

I don't game on Xbox, and I won't claim to know what the audience typically buys on the platform, but as someone who likes Japanese games, I want those games to hit as many platforms as possible to help them reach higher sales. More sales means they can keep making the kind of games I like.

Very true man. I guess time will tell if we're gonna be seeing more Japanese games. As farfetched as it may seem but i'd love to see Dragon Quest on Xbox as well. Never say never i guess. After all Sword Art Online is coming to Xbox now too. Isn't that a first?

Steroyd

I don't expect Ni No Kuni 2 to be released on Xbox One but I think Bandai Namco was mentioned in one of Phil's tweets.

Well the only evidence that fits this description would be the Dragonball FighterZ world debut on the Xbox E3 conference, which isn't saying much because Namco's anime license games come out on Xbox anyway if they're generally western friendly like Naruto.

itshutton

When No No Kuni was originally revealed, I was sure it was a "First on PlayStation" reveal. I always assume dit would come to XBox.

Fisty

Not happening, if Level 5 was making their grand return to Xbox after like a decade, they would have said something official by now.

I doubt. At least not any close to the PS4 launch. It's pretty clear many of these games are money hatted by Sony to skip Xbox.

blakep267

Wait, people actually don't want it to be released on Xbox?
That happens with every smaller or Japanese game for some reason. "Why are they bothering with Xbox" etc. like unless your a shareholder of that company who cares. Yet we have this every time. Console wars

Level 5 just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Ni No Kuni II for either system, nor will they purchase any of Level 5's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Level 5 has alienated an entire market with this move.

Level 5, publicly apologize and cancel Ni No Kuni II for the Xbone or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Fisty

I doubt. At least not any close to the PS4 launch. It's pretty clear many of these games are money hatted by Sony to skip Xbox.

...or Level 5 was burned by MS all the way back on OG Xbox and hasnt made a single game for their platforms as a result.

Same thing that is likely to happen with Platinum now

Thorrgal

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Ni No Kuni II for either system, nor will they purchase any of Level 5's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Level 5 has alienated an entire market with this move.

Level 5, publicly apologize and cancel Ni No Kuni II for the Xbone or you can kiss your business goodbye.

What

Always laugh

You ARE joking with this though, am I right? And Jesus man, calm down. It's very likely not even true, sadly not. He's definitely joking here.

gamz

Come on. This is dumb.

No matter how many times I see this it never gets tired, a classic.

Would be nice to see it on Xbox, although I own a PS4/Switch. Xbox as a platform for Japanese developers/publisher is just not going to happen no matter how many people Uncle Phil goes to visit. Xbox One is a disaster for that region, least 360 sold some and had amazing Cave/shmup support.

c0de

Never gets old!

Servbot24

Banned
But why, Sony? I mean, this is essentially money hatting? Where is the outrage? Ah, yes, RPG don't sell on Xbox so why even bother. But then again, why is there a deal with Sony?

We don't know the terms of the agreement so it would be foolish to be 'outraged'.

Hardvlade

😂 classic

On topic, I’d love for it to make it to Xbox. Even though I’d have to go back and finish the first game, got my PS3 copy still around somewhere.

bryanee

Its always funny when people dont know about that gaf meme.

In regards to Ni No Kuni II coming to XB1, I dont really see it happening. Love to be proven wrong though.

Well, Namco has been putting out a lot of Xbox One games lately, but it's also kind of odd that they wouldn't have announced it when the PC version was announced.

I mean it's possible that maybe when Spencer went to Japan, getting NNK2 could have been part of the discussions with Namco. IF this is true, it's possible that Microsoft agreed to foot the bill for a port and/or provided other incentives to Namco (much lower license fees for their games?).

But again, that's assuming this is true and not just a mistake.

"pretty clear"

*has no evidence*

...or Level 5 was burned by MS all the way back on OG Xbox and hasnt made a single game for their platforms as a result.

Same thing that is likely to happen with Platinum now
On their own perhaps not. But a developer usually let go of the right to chose the platforms after signing with a publisher.

And, at least from the information given back then it was Level 5 that was in the wrong, so there may be a burned bridge, but we don't know how it went with Platinum or how it was handled. To say either way.

Also, there's a quote in this very thread with a guy that allegedly spoke to a producer.

Dont need to moneyhat when these games don't sell on Xbox.
Except for all the games that launch and do sell, but they don't count for whatever reason.

We just had a release where gaf was sure it was going to bomb on Xbox and turned out to outsold pretty much every other indie niche title released on PS4, so excuse me if I don't believe when people say unreleased games wouldn't sell anyway.

"pretty clear"

*has no evidence*
There are tons of evidence if you are not ignoring it.

- Shenmue 3, Shu himself said it their only involvement was a marketing deal so they could have the E3 of dreams PR.

- Nioh launching on Steam 6 months after ps4.

- Nier talking about releasing on Xbox and then nopping out of it.

- There were talks from very reliable sources that Sony was close to nabbing FFXV as an exclusive. Phil also specifically called out that game as one of his gets,so there's strong evidence that for some games Ms was willing to go into a warchest to make they come to Xbox.

- Allegedly a producer of the very game in question outright saying they have a deal with Sony. Which if true us already enough evidence to back others because I doubt Sony would moneyhat just a single game and be done with it.

All the while what's really lacking is evidence that Japanese games wouldn't sell on Xbox. Because people that say it won't simply ignore all the games that released and were successful (I'd dare say the ratio of successful/failed JP games on xbone is likely tremendously high)

I decided to look it up on Google and found this

https://www.gamepur.com/news/21421-...e-debut-means-it-may-come-other-consoles.html

Shu at the time said it was a console debut, meaning it will come to other systems later. But i'm guessing the other system is simlply PC. To be honest i can see them making a version for Switch....but Xbox One? Very doubtful. Hope it gets cleared up soon. Would be fantastic if it does happen and i'd say we should thank Phil for this. He's well aware that these games won't do big numbers but he still bothers with them and tries to get them.

We'll see.

We just had a release where gaf was sure it was going to bomb on Xbox and turned out to outsold pretty much every other indie niche title released on PS4, so excuse me if I don't believe when people say unreleased games wouldn't sell anyway.

Which game is this LukasTaves?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Phil Spencer needs to visit more JPN publishers if this is true..heh.

Top Bottom