• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU epilogue scene shown at TLOU One Night Live

Really Neil?

Your not gonna release this to the millions of fans who fell in love with the game.

It's not like everyone could go or even fit in the venue, but all you can say is "you aren't hear so your not a true fan, so you don't get to see the amazing performance".

I get wanting to show something special to the crowd, and I'm all for it.
But take a page from Comic Con and show UC4 footage, TLoU2 footage, or Untitled Space Marine footage, not a freaking epilogue.

Especially with the ending we got with TLoU.
I loved it but it left you wanting more!!
And when you finally give us more... we can't have it?!!

:p

I guess I better read what happened then since I'll never see it

Heres the actual post:

Correct, the new scene will not be released - Neil wanted to make it special for those who attended the live performance.

It's set after the game, but I don't think Neil specified a time period. It's also not a "deleted scene" as some people have reported. Neil wrote it a few weeks ago -- he surprised me with the script over July 4th weekend.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BtvlFI8CAAMsyyb.jpg:large

LiK

not surprised we won't see Joel and Ellie in a sequel. Just show more of the world with a new cast instead.

pretty annoying this scene wasn't filmed for people who can't go watch it live. kinda pretentious.

Jobbs

Banned
Tess is mighty fine.

Ellie's knife shows itself again... What does it all mean?

I doubt it means anything. If you were doing a TLOU play and could either have the knife stuck on the dresser or not have it, you'd definitely just have it. right?

I'm struck by how much the actress who plays Sarah looks like her. I spent so much time staring at Troy it took me a while to look at everyone else. XD she's really pretty.

hardcore drugs

not surprised we won't see Joel and Ellie in a sequel. Just show more of the world with a new cast instead.

pretty annoying this scene wasn't filmed for people who can't go watch it live. kinda pretentious.

Yeah, it seems kind of obnoxious to make something dependent upon the support of millions of customers, and then deliver fan service in a quirky performance-art style that makes it impossible for nearly every one of those customers to actually experience the thing.

I can understand not taking the time to animate it, but going out of your way to prevent recordings?

I haven't even played the game yet. Disrespecting fans to seem clever just kind of feels shitty to me.

- J - D -

I'm glad we got an addendum of some form, and one that is uneasy but optimistic, as ephemeral as it can be in that world I guess. Good note to bid Joel and Ellie farewell on.

Wish I could've seen the performance.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, it seems kind of obnoxious to make something dependent upon the support of millions of customers, and then deliver fan service in a quirky performance-art style that makes it impossible for nearly every one of those customers to actually experience the thing.

I can understand not taking the time to animate it, but going out of your way to prevent recordings?

I haven't even played the game yet. Disrespecting fans to seem clever just kind of feels shitty to me.

I am disappointed that I can't see it, but I don't think they are trying to disrespect fans.

More than likely he feels a bit exposed by putting this out there at all, and wanted to share it in the context of a full live performance rather than blasting it out over the internet. It was never meant to be seen and may not even be considered canon.

it's also the case that it could just be an artistic stroke. artists are weird. in any case, I really don't think they're trying to insult anyone. I don't feel that way at all. disappointed I can't see it, sure, but not insulted.

What the fuck? Holy overreaction.

My read of the description is that Ellie is distant because she loves Joel. She's vaguely jealous that Joel is talking about marrying someone, not because she's sexually interested in him, but because she's afraid of losing him. It's like if a father divorces and then marries a new woman, there is always tension between the stepmother and children because of battles for attention and priorities.

I am surprised at how many people took the ending of TLOU to indicate a relationship-breaking mistrust between Joel and Ellie. I saw it as the sort of ambiguous mistrust that arises when a parent or other loved one does something "for your own good," that you didn't want. You know they did something against your wishes, but you also know they did it to help you. I've always come out of those situations feeling more loved. Love is more than giving someone everything they want.

But Druckmann said this,
"Then we come to that ending and that lie and that okay and what does that okay mean? It’s definitely not a complacent ‘yea I’ll go along with you’, in fact, it’s the opposite. It’s Ellie waking up for the first time, waking up and realizing she can’t rely on him anymore. While she loves him for what he’s done for her, she hates him for robbing her of that choice. She knows that she has to leave him and make her own decisions and mistakes."

Did everyone forget this? It sounds pretty clear. Unless you want to get into "author is dead" arguments.

http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/the-last-of-us-how-the-games-creator-envisions-its-ending

As much as I fucking love this game, I DO NOT want a sequel if it doesn't continue Ellie's story.

Might as well make a new IP if you're not going to reuse Ellie and Joel. The Last of Us is Joel and Ellie.

is it weird that I'm a straight guy, and there are multiple pretty girls here, but I think the prettiest one is troy?

he looks like a damn movie star.

No need to feel weird
except for in the pants!
. Straight male here and even I get lost in his eyes. Ahhhhh... Such a dreamboat.

I'm actually torn. I reaaaaly don't want them to tamper with Joel and Ellie's story. Although, I think Ashley Johnson did such an awesome job with Ellie I wouldn't mind seeing where her character again. It would be cool to see her as a teenager.

If you don't revisit Joel and Ellie I will be pissed. I want to see their story continue.

If the story ends up bad it could tarnish everything TLoU has become.

The Godfather II of Videogames

LuuKyK

<3 This cast.

Ashley looks so young. She is so pretty. Not only that, but she seems like that kind of person that you want to sit and talk to all day and you would never get tired, such a smart and funny person. To top that, she is an amazing actress. I mean...

SRG01

<3 This cast.

Ashley looks so young. She is so pretty. Not only that, but she seems like that kind of person that you want to sit and talk to all day and you would never get tired, such a smart and funny person. To top that, she is an amazing actress. I mean...

There was a hilarious photo of her and Felicia Day last week if you follow FD on Facebook...

There was a little detail that I don't think any of us who saw the epilogue Monday night bothered to mention. I originally thought that it had literally no meaning and was written in just to have some dialogue between Joel and Ellie. I just finished playing Left Behind and
for those of you that have played, you probably all remember the watergun talk and the watergun fight Ellie and Riley have. Throughout the dlc, Ellie talks about how much she loves waterguns and how the teacher ended up confiscating her two guns.
Well during the epilogue scene on Monday night, while Joel is having some small talk with Ellie, Joel is asking Ellie if she wants to play with the other kids at the camp because they had just found some water guns. Ellie says no and that she planned on working on a fence with some of the other members of the group.

I initially thought that the discussion during that scene was supposed to be about how Ellie was growing up and after the events of the game, she simply didn't want to be a kid and do "kid stuff" in the harsh world she lives in. But while playing Left Behind, it became obvious that the dialogue in that scene was actually a reference to
Riley
and how Ellie is trying to move on from everything that had happened in the past, including the ending of the main game. So when Joel starts singing the song and keeps his promise on teaching Ellie how to play the guitar, the tone in Ellie's voice suddenly becomes optimistic at the end, despite everything that has happened. The ending is just a great culmination of how much Ellie has evolved as a character and how much she has been through.

Realizing that reference the third time it's brought up in Left Behind just impressed me. But writing this post and realizing how much thought went into this entire story?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Neil, please, let the world see the epilogue. It's too damn good to not show it off.

dreamfall

Wish they'd put up video of it!

Love what I saw of TLOU Live- Gustavo, sweet mercy! That music brings so many feels, it is absolutely unreal!

Drencrom

Part of me wonders if Neil is waiting for the first asshole to upload the video to the internet before deciding to share it.

Asshole? That guy will be a saviour to us fans that actually want to see this. I love Druckmann and his work but his request seems like an excuse just to stir mystery and discussion about this secret epilogue.

Sethista

Guys who were there, can you post the lyrics of the song, and any dialogue you remember??? What was said must be very telling.

Ohhhh the knife stuck in the armoire.... reminds me of the game menu after the end. She is done fighting.

Them feels, they are sneaking up on me.

But Druckmann said this,
"Then we come to that ending and that lie and that okay and what does that okay mean? It’s definitely not a complacent ‘yea I’ll go along with you’, in fact, it’s the opposite. It’s Ellie waking up for the first time, waking up and realizing she can’t rely on him anymore. While she loves him for what he’s done for her, she hates him for robbing her of that choice. She knows that she has to leave him and make her own decisions and mistakes."

Did everyone forget this? It sounds pretty clear. Unless you want to get into "author is dead" arguments.

http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/the-last-of-us-how-the-games-creator-envisions-its-ending

I didn't see that that was Druckmann himself. It sounds like he intended it as something of a coming-of-age ending, where she realizes that she has to be her own person.

Jobbs

Banned
I didn't see that that was Druckmann himself. It sounds like he intended it as something of a coming-of-age ending, where she realizes that she has to be her own person.

It was a good presentation -- everyone should watch it. he provides further clarity about the ending when he talks about Joel's story arc, and how Joel was willing to give up every single thing to save ellie, and taking this "to the end of the line" means that he's even willing to give up his relationship with her. That's how his arc is taken to its final point -- Seeming to damn humanity to save her wasn't the final point on that path. The lie was.

while some may interpret this as joel being a "selfish monster" (seen that a few times) it's more about the complete, irrational desire of a parent to protect their child and how there's nothing they won't do. I think most parents can identify with that, and this game sought to explore how far that irrational desire goes. If you test a parent's need to protect their child and take it to "the end of the line", what do you end up with?

JOEL.png

lumi7890

new info via druckmen's twitter. aprently the epiloge takes place a few weeks after the original ending and he also said that he wrote it for one night live.oh and the song joel sings to ellie is called future days by pearl jam. link - http://youtu.be/5_1E9lywUyA.

Top Bottom