• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan Rumor: No Assassin's Creed in 2016, 2017 in Egypt, Witcher inspired [Update]

I'm glad they are giving it some breathing room.

I hope they get it back up to AC Unity level of fidelity but better performance.

Syndicate was a big step down in lighting, effects, npc crowd sizes, etc.. I didn't really enjoy the gang aspect either. If they patched in the improvements in controls, stealth, parkour, etc.. into Unity it would by far be my most favorite AC game since AC2 Brotherhood.

Also drop the modern day stuff, no one cares about that anymore. They screwed the ending to Desmonds arc so hard then continued to beat the rotting corpse by continuing with characters from his story and his DNA.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Probably not gonna have anything that made the Witcher good, like quests that clearly had effort put into them by skilled writers.

Heigic

Shame that they have to shoehorn Assassins Creed into it. Just give me an Egyptian game. Oh and a Pirate game would be nice too.

EvB

Hello

princeofpersiazero2.0.jpg

Ullus

The Witcher 3 copies Assassin's Creed, now Assassin's Creed copies The Witcher 3.

Your character will have clunky, ballerina combat now instead of just mash X to instantly kill anything near you combat. Also new to the series, a map that exploded with points of interest that lead to nothing interesting, and thirty hours of cutscenes!

assassins-creed-unitykxp6s.png

Been there, done that.

I don't think having a game on the shelves at the same time as the movie is a guaranteed money-spinner like you guys are suggesting. Prince of Persia was a disaster on all fronts, and that seemed like a much safer bet than this Assassin's Creed film.

I'll believe it when I see it, but taking a year off and completely revamping the series is probably the only way to get me to ever even try one again.

Wasp

The movie is out in December and Ubisoft are not going to have a game out this year? Muwhaha. Sure.

Elios83

That would be a really nice thing.
I mean the reboot game in 2017 based in Egypt.
Not sure about them not releasing a game in 2016 with the movie releasing at the end of the year. A tie-in game similarly to what they did with Prince of Persia should be expected.

Now that you mention it not even releasing with a movie tie-in game seems like a stupid move for Ubisoft.

Idk. The most unique thing about if right now is that it's set in a place that we never visited in the games. Forging its own path. I would be less interested otherwise, honestly.

J_Viper

Nah, BF team was working on their AC title while Quebec was the lead studio for Syndicate.

Hmm, interesting. Glad to hear they're still on the franchise.

The movie is out in December and Ubisoft are not going to have a game out this year? Muwhaha. Sure.

Wasn't there a domain registered for an Assassins Creed Collection? Whatever that is could release this year in place of a new game.
Ezio remasters please.

Gurthang

Banned
I hope they release a new PoP too.

Syndicate sales have been pretty bad especially on steam. I think they have realized that the series needs a fresh start. Good on them.

SomTervo

Considering how Syndicate has been received, I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

By the by, Assassin's Creed Syndicate is fucking awesome. In my top #5 GotY list for 2015.

I honestly can't believe how good it is. It's like the first ever AC game to actually be legitimately good outside of the realm of Assassin's Creed games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Trying to find out more but there's definitely at least some truth to this.

The Egypt part of this rumor has been circulating for a bit and notably Watch Dogs 2 hasn't been announced for Spring, so I could see them trying to slip that in the November slot if they feel Assassin's Creed will die without a major overhaul.

yurinka

Wasn't the Black Flag team located in Ubisoft Montreal? I thought they had passed AC over to the Quebec branch permenatley?

A year off would serve the series well, but I can't imagine them missing out on A Fassbender tie-in.
Yes, the lead team from ACIV was located in Montreal. But no, they didn't pass permanently AC to Quebec.

They said that there are different teams leading different AC games to make sure these teams don't have to release an AC every year, starting with Syndicate (leaded by Quebec). This means that the team who will lead the next one won't be Ubisoft Quebec, so it's possible that it's time for their Ubisoft Montreal teams teams, like the team of Black Flag or the team of Unity.

It's one of the initiatives they had to solve many concerns raised among many people. Another was to create a studio focused only in Customer Support and Community Management in Newcastle, that debuted collecting AC Unity player feedback and resulted in 400+ things fixed according to the release notes in their forums (I'd bet most of these things were already detected internally but didn't have time to fix it before release).

If true, to introduce in the middle a year without releasing a big AC would give them even more time to the devs to polish their games, which is really good.

Exentryk

I might finally pay attention to this series if it ends up having sword based melee combat like Witcher 3 or other ARPGs.

UrbanRats

Nah dude, their writing cannot hold a game like Witcher 3.
Not like there hasn't been an RPG with bad writing before (cough recent Bioware cough) but you know... we'd be just losing here.

If they really drop the parkour aspect, instead of keep trying to make it better, i'll be really disappointed, it'd be like admitting defeat and abandoning any ambition, not to mention what made AC stand out from the crowd, nopun intended.

iNvid02

what's the typical dev time for these games, 3 years? because fall 2017 would make it over 3 and half for black flag's creative director working on an unannounced project for them, well according to l.i anyway. it could also be watch dogs 2. its probably a sequel let's put it like that

n6xfIPY.png

jschreier

The Egypt part of this rumor has been circulating for a bit and notably Watch Dogs 2 hasn't been announced for Spring, so I could see them trying to slip that in the November slot if they feel Assassin's Creed will die without a major overhaul.
Where else have you seen the Egypt thing?

Tagg9

I haven't checked the recent sales numbers, but I definitely think that the brand is in a downward spiral (despite the fact that Syndicate was considered a decent game critically). A year's respite might be exactly what it needs.

mcz117chief

That sounds like excellent news, but I remain skeptical. A complete relaunch of the series would be great, rework the story from the ground up.

RdN

I'm hoping this one is true.

Giving it a break for a year would be good news for a series which has been very fatigued and lost public's good will with the terrible release that Unity was.

Egypt also is a great location with a lot of possibilities.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Where else have you seen the Egypt thing?

We had some mail-ins from juniors asking if it was okay to post rumors about the setting being in Egypt a few months back despite them not having publicly showable evidence.

I think I said yes (we don't exactly use the setting vetting process as Kotaku given our nature), but I'm not sure there was a follow-up.

It obviously wasn't a great lead, but I felt it was worth mentioning in the context of this thread.

They should do this. Great looking worlds and mechanics, but boring games. They need a compelling narrative, character interaction, meaningful progression, and good writing. Witcher 3 has all these in spades and has rightfully be praised for it. Meaning while a decent AC game is pretty far down the list, as it should be.

Auctopus

Hasn't AC been steadily moving forward through time since AC1? Would this be the first time it's gone backwards in the mainline series if it's pre-Victorian era?

Alienous

Idk. The most unique thing about if right now is that it's set in a place that we never visited in the games. Forging its own path. I would be less interested otherwise, honestly.

I don't mean a 'movie-game'. Just that of all the years to miss an Assassin's Creed release I don't think Ubisoft would have allowed it to be the year of a movie release. Surely they'd want a game to capitalize on whatever attention that might bring to the franchise.

Hasn't AC been steadily moving forward through time since AC1? Would this be the first time it's gone backwards in the mainline series if it's pre-Victorian era?

Black Flag went backwards in time.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nah dude, their writing cannot hold a game like Witcher 3.
Not like there hasn't been an RPG with bad writing before (cough recent Bioware cough) but you know... we'd be just losing here.

If they really drop the parkour aspect, instead of keep trying to make it better, i'll be really disappointed, it'd be like admitting defeat and abandoning any ambition, not to mention what made AC stand out from the crowd, nopun intended.
Oh ofc not. The closest they get to W3 writing are the ones written by Darby and even then it wouldn't be very close because W3 is pretty next level especially compared to it's peers like DA or Xenoblade. Granted there's a lot of nuance in the writing of each entry I'd say. Connor especially. Dropping parkour would be an absolutely terrible idea. I was remarking upon the comment that "no effort" is put into the side quests of these games.

AC4 was a prequel to AC3. This would be a major time jump back in time tho.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hmmm well it's not like the witcher is known for having good combat (nor is assassins creed) but I guess the freeform open world in an assassin's creed could be great.

4chan rumour? Really?

Bloodborne info was first leaked there if I remember right.

But of course take it with a massive grain of salt as anyone could do the same thing.

Top Bottom