• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Legacy Theme Announced for PS4

Battlechili

Banned
This is nostalgic but also kind of spooky.
I like the PS2 and have fond memories of it, but the background ambience comes off as eerie to me

Who said SONY doesn’t do backwards compatibility?!

😃 Sadly, Sony's only interest in it's gaming legacy this gen is how well they can monetise the nostalgia for it.

I'm loving this dash theme though and I'll definitely be buying it.

But where are the towers that show how big your memory card is!?!?!

Oddly, it looks like they omitted this. It'd be cool if it sized the towers based on the amount of trophies you have. Missed opportunity.

sublimit

Banned
Lol they charge for that crap?

Yeah at least this particular one should have been free. Not that i care personally since i'm not into themes anyway . Also this one reminds me of my broken PS2 where it kept saying "disc error" after i booted it.

Wonko_C

I thought Sony didnt charge for their themes, only third parties did. Still, it looks pretty damn cool, i would like to see themes based on the PS1, PS3 and PSV menus in the future.

It's weird they couldn't get the rights to the "Playstation 2" wording, don't Sony own their own stuff?

Ubername

Banned
Oy though they should give it free, it seems like such a feel good PS2 nostalgia thing. Especially since the PS2 startup is such a well known mark, but that's probably why someone wants to capitalize on it

Agent X

Very impressive work from m0dus and Truant Pixel!

It's weird they couldn't get the rights to the "Playstation 2" wording, don't Sony own their own stuff?

According to m0dus, Sony doesn't want to include "PlayStation 2" branding in the theme because that system is no longer being sold. This is also the reason why the theme is officially named "Legacy", and not "PS2 Legacy". Sony does have the rights to use the name--they just don't want to use it here.

They also considered using "PlayStation 4" written in the PlayStation 2 font. Sony also rejected that on the basis that it would cause brand confusion. (Too bad, because I would have loved to see that.)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Can't forget the GAF-DINO theme

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks cool but I gotta admit I'm stuck using the official 20th Anniversary PS1 theme. It's basically become my PS4 theme.

Even if I try nicer themes, I associate the nice white background and the PS1 chime way too much with my PS4 now.

Rellik

I thought Sony didnt charge for their themes, only third parties did. Still, it looks pretty damn cool, i would like to see themes based on the PS1, PS3 and PSV menus in the future.

It's not made by Sony. Literally says that right at the start of the video.

Oh m0dis made this theme.

Explains why it has that cheap Chinese knock off feel like all his themes.

PantsuJo

Explains why it has that cheap Chinese knock off feel like all his themes.

This comment explains very well what is wrong with GAF these days and, honestly, I'm not surprised.

Not liking a theme is legit (of course); calling this "cheap Chinese knock off" is provoking, literally, especially given the giant amount of work made on this theme (over 9000 lines of codes) and the approvation-collaboration of Sony and Naughty Dog.

Making a theme on PS4 is difficult, extremely, simply because the resources reserved from the OS to customization features are very few: small memory pool, limited thread per theme, needs to overcome the lack of native special effects for the GUI (like blur, etc)

You can view a tech explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a9PZT7AAjY

It's a professional work and you must accept it, because is a fact. It's also ages better than Sony 20th anniversay theme, ruined from some debatable choices, imo.

And the quality and the amount of code justifies the (small) price required to obtain.

You don't like a theme: good. But you can't call this a "cheap" work just because you don't like it, without know nothing about it.

This is a proof of your ignorance, not a valid opinion.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This comment explains very well what is wrong with GAF these days and, honestly, I'm not surprised.

Not liking a theme is legit (of course); calling this "cheap Chinese knock off" is provoking, literally, especially given the giant amount of work made on this theme (over 9000 lines of codes) and the approvation-collaboration of Sony and Naughty Dog.

Making a theme on PS4 is difficult, extremely, simply because the resources reserved from the OS to customization features are very few: small memory pool, limited thread per theme, needs to overcome the lack of native special effects for the GUI (like blur, etc)

You can view a tech explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a9PZT7AAjY

It's a professional work and you must accept it, because is a fact. It's also ages better than Sony 20th anniversay theme, ruined from some debatable choices, imo.

And the quality and the amount of code justifies the (small) price required to obtain.

You don't like a theme: good. But you can't call this a "cheap" work just because you don't like it, without know nothing about it.

This is a proof of your ignorance, not a valid opinion.

Imagine getting this worked up because someone doesn't like something that you like.

Shifty

Imagine getting this worked up because someone doesn't like something that you like.

There's a difference between disagreeing with someone's opinion and disagreeing with the way they present it.

Example:
I don't like your post, it's reductive and ignores the quoted poster's point in favour of oversimplifying it in order to make it easier to attack. A 'hot take', if you will.

VS

What a cheap chinese knockoff of a post take that shit to GameFAQs SMH

See the difference?

IKR, old gaf rearing its head right there lol.

NoobGAF has arrived to shit up the thread.

Top Bottom