• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Spoiler* Grand Theft Auto V map leaked *Spoiler*

Brinbe

I can't wait to see how many easter eggs and little things they've put out into that world. That's often the best part of open world games and Rockstar never disappoints in that area. Huge, dense, and interesting.

UrbanRats

WHOOSH. The point is, Rockstar touted that you would take a day to go cross-town. While, yes, I abused the ever living fuck out of the taxi-ride skip to get Liberty City Minute on 360, my point is: San Andreas was fun going between 3 cities with rural areas intersparsed. 5's SA is just LA and... a bunch of wilderness with an airport WAY out in the country and maybe a small rural town with a few rural zones in between according to that map.

Hence: Disappointment.
You point at wilderness as useless empty space, that's where we disagree.

Also the other two cities in San Andres didn't receive the same care Los Santos did, so i'm happy they focused on getting LA just right this time, instead of having some half assed 2nd and 3rd city.

gosox333

GTA IV: Ugh, it's all city, where's the desert? The mountains? The countryside?

GTA V: Ugh, it's all desert, mountains and countryside!

Just from the hours this map has been released, I can already tell this is gonna be the case with V. I remember this map fitting exactly what everybody and their mother could possibly ever want back when IV was just coming out and the map was seen for the first time.

I guess I just need to remind myself this is the internet.

lil smoke

Banned
Just from the hours this map has been released, I can already tell this is gonna be the case with V. I remember this map fitting exactly what everybody and their mother could possibly ever want back when IV was just coming out and the map was seen for the first time.

I guess I just need to remind myself this is the internet.

I think people would like to see a bit more balance, those maps do not show that.

Seems fair, doesn't seem like internet brand whine to me.

Of course we don't know anything, hence the discussion.

MormaPope

Banned
You guys do realize there will be towns and other small places besides Los Santos right?

The best part of San Andreas was arguably the moment you get thrown into the wilderness/pre San Fierro.

Not

Banned
Seems like a real difficult comparison to me. And I question the accuracy of both. Even if it is close to accurate, San Andreas looks like it has a lot more density and variety, could say the same for GTA IV also. Bunch of wildlife... great.

Let's just let this guy be miserable, everyone

Gadirok

You're preaching to the choir, I loved JC2's size, I must have spend around 50 hours just roaming around. Still, there we're some forest areas that where really really boring and empty.

Also yes, giving the player a fast, involved and fun way to travel in grapple/glider 'slingshotting' really alleviates most of JC2's scope issues. GTA doesn't have this, which makes me worry about the size of that wildernness.

I honestly never saw it that way.

I guess the closest example I could think of is Red Dead Redemption with campfires and the many outposts you could buy in pretty much any town or city solved this case. The problem was still there, especially if you were in the bottom half of Mexico or located in some large off-road area completely nowhere. Returning to that area became quite a bit of a chore rather than fun after dieing.

I'm guessing (or hoping) that they allow players to respawn at safehouses as I expect there to be a few located somewhere in the wilderness.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Jesus Christ if true.

I remember San Andreas feeling absolutely gigantic back then. I haven't read the thread, but is there a RDR comparison? I think RDR is the biggest map I've played on, I think, and if this is much bigger than that, then that's insane.

Ahasverus

iwPe8U8.jpg

Look how /tiny/ mount Chilliad looks in the map. Mother of god

MCN

Banned
Jesus Christ if true.

I remember San Andreas feeling absolutely gigantic back then. I haven't read the thread, but is there a RDR comparison? I think RDR is the biggest map I've played on, I think, and if this is much bigger than that, then that's insane.

Bigger than RDR, San Andreas and GTA4 put together.

Ploid 3.0

WHOOSH. The point is, Rockstar touted that you would take a day to go cross-town. While, yes, I abused the ever living fuck out of the taxi-ride skip to get Liberty City Minute on 360, my point is: San Andreas was fun going between 3 cities with rural areas intersparsed. 5's SA is just LA and... a bunch of wilderness with an airport WAY out in the country and maybe a small rural town with a few rural zones in between according to that map.

Hence: Disappointment.

Yeah the rural in between the cities was nice. It will be odd if there's no other reason to go through the wild other than missions, and side quests.

Madness

How is it not that big? It's larger than liberty city in terms of city size without the rivers/bridges in between.

Plus you have all that huge wilderness, beach, and smaller towns up north. I can easily see taking a plane up there, jumping out with a parachute and then going hunting and getting revenge against cougars who effed up my war horse/stallion so many times in red dead.

I can't even fathom what they will be able to achieve next gen. I mean just look at the difference between III, IV, and now V in their numbered games.

Romez

I'm disappointed that them remaking San Andreas(?) had them drop the second city and make it more wilderness on an "island" with less rural towns (or slightly more in the fact they blew up area per square "mile").

I'm sure instead of taking a day to cross town in Liberty City's 4 version it'll take a year to cross the "country" in 5 in the taxi. :/

They're not remaking San Andreas they're remaking Los Santos.

GTA SA was LA (and some parts outside of LA), San Francisco and Vegas. GTA V is Los Angeles County i.e. LA and it's surrounding areas.

War Eagle

There had better be Bigfoot somewhere in there.

This was my first thought as well. Just one though. And if you kill it it respawns somewhere else randomly in the countryside on the map. Like say you find it and kill it over by Mt. Josiah, and then it will respawn all the way on the northeast end of the map.

I was thinking maybe if you killed it, it would be gone from your save file forever, but then I'd be sad.

Jac_Solar

I don't think zero is cynical I mean that is a little offputing seeing 2/3rds of the map is wildlife and the game is based off of LA.

Like lets be real for a min....but well see on tuesday tho

The entire city is, more or less, as large as GTA 4. The wilderness also, almost always, makes for a lot more diverse and interesting side quests, stories, content and exploration, especially in addition to a huge city.

Exploring in games like Saints Row, GTA 4 is boring, because it's the entire maps consist of nothing but cityscapes.

San Andreas is one of my favorite games of all time because of the wilderness content.

How is it not that big? It's larger than liberty city in terms of city size without the rivers/bridges in between.

Plus you have all that huge wilderness, beach, and smaller towns up north. I can easily see taking a plane up there, jumping out with a parachute and then going hunting and getting revenge against cougars who effed up my war horse/stallion so many times in red dead.

I can't even fathom what they will be able to achieve next gen. I mean just look at the difference between III, IV, and now V in their numbered games.

The higher graphical quality, the more work is required, the more money and time is required. Next gen GTA's world map will most likely be significantly smaller, but a lot more detailed.

Well, that is, if they don't procedurally generate a lot of the map and world like Just Cause 2, but I doubt Rockstar wants to do that. They seem to prefer handcrafting their worlds.

So...why is California an Island?

California is part of the United States, it's not an island.

I'm surprised people can look at this map and think "looks so small" or "not enough city" when we have screenshots like this:

WOsrS1Z.jpg

Fnh69zO.jpg

9yJ9IfC.jpg

q3zZmnX.jpg

D7uAbUH.jpg

And that's just the "small" metropolis part.

We still have all the little outlying areas like:

AcrBvg8.jpg

mLw5UhU.jpg

RawNuts

Nine holes of golf in that little chunk and I doubt that they're all par-3; I'm satisfied with the map size.

The oval just north of East Vinewood looks like it says "Vinewood Racetrack"; I'm looking forward to that.

Derrick01

Banned
Nine holes of golf in that little chunk and I doubt that they're all par-3; I'm satisfied with the map size.

The oval just north of East Vinewood looks like it says "Vinewood Racetrack"; I'm looking forward to that.

I thought it was a full 18 hole course?

So...why is California an Island?

I just came to the realization that a ton of open world games are islands (Saints Row's Stilwater and Steelport, GTAV's city). Easier to do that with "infinite" water surrounding it or to simply turn back the player I suppose.

lil smoke

Banned
It definitely looks huge, I'm ignoring those arguments.

The guy that alluded to crossing wilderness that led to another huge city, that's kinda what made SA so great for me. The experience of having homes in different entire cities, maybe I have to fly to get to my other home.

It really felt like you were living thru different lives or living thru decades and moving thru life.

We can't agree that 2 cities is different than one big city and a lot of wild? People have pref, I understand both sides. No one is wrong.

I don't think the city will be small it's that having 1 city in 1 chunk might get a bit boring. I'd like a city either end or something to try brak up the map a bit more.

But looking forward to dicking around int he wilderness with the police

One of the coolest things about SA was making the journey from city to city, the feeling of leaving one and eventually entering another, I'm going to miss that

Top Bottom