• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer

Theodoricos

I'll say one thing about the prequels - one thing people don't give them enough credit for is the soundtrack. Yes, Duel of the Fates is certainly mentioned frequently, but the entire OST of the trilogy is just stupendous. Listening to it you can't help but imagine what could've been - and at the very least we do have this glorious, Star Wars-sounding music as a backdrop.

Surfinn

I'll say one thing about the prequels - one thing people don't give them enough credit for is the soundtrack. Yes, Duel of the Fates is certainly mentioned frequently, but the entire OST of the trilogy is just stupendous. Listening to it you can't help but imagine what could've been - and at the very least we do have this glorious, Star Wars-sounding music as a backdrop.
I'd say the soundtrack is the one thing that is unanimously praised about the PT.

When you listen to it separately, you envision movies that are as good as the OT. In particular.. When I hear across the stars, I imagine two people whose love drives the downfall of good and uprising of evil.. For the entire galaxy.

It's powerful stuff that I think only JW was capable of achieving with the material he was given to work with.

The Phantom Menace's soundtrack is the most 'archetypal' Star Wars soundtrack to me. Which I suspect is part of why it got aped by a number of games in the years after; not just because it was 'current' Star Wars, but it was also some damned good music. Empire at War wouldn't be the same without it.

graffix13

I grew up with the Original Trilogy and I loved the prequels. (ESB is literally the first film I saw in the theater)

They’re flawed films for certain but they also contain tremendous amounts of awesome components. People tend to focus on the negatives and ignore how visually stunning these movies are and how much story and world-building they contain. Had Lucas simply hired a second unit director to shoot his actors and allowed somebody to polish up his clunky-ass dialogue, there’d have been little to complain about.

As it stands, there’s far more to love than dislike in the prequels from my standpoint but I am glad Lucas walked away from the franchise because what’s happening now is spectacular.

I'm with you. I grew up on the OT and TPM came out when I was 22. I enjoy the PT for what it is. Space fantasy.

Chewie kills Luke to save the last Porg confirmed.

"Please don't kill the Porg"

8CS3wsgpNuEADqoe2PRvIzJwZ5Q=.gif

AOmLLUgl.jpg

When you've been hunting for Obi-Wan for 20 years in the whole galaxy and it turns out he's just chilling on your home planet... with your own son

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Salvador Larocca has issues with perspective and loves to trace things. Marvel puts him on Star Wars so they can pump out books quickly.

It's a great scene though.

It's Wednesday! Time to read the new Star Wars comics!

"Artist: Salvador Larocca"
N0ZCXD5.gif

Timu

Yes. But if past films are any indication, we'll get an international trailer with some new footage at some point, and a hajillion TV spots.
Seems pretty bizarre this is the final one when it was 7 months apart from the teaser, but hey, as long as all of that happens, that's fine with me.

Anakin Skywalker: You are so... beautiful.
Padmé: It's only because I'm so in love.
Anakin Skywalker: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
Padmé: So love has blinded you?
Anakin Skywalker: [laughs] Well, that's not exactly what I meant.
Padmé: But it's probably true.

Oh my god why did you remind me of that I just lost brain cells

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It's hilarious how people's answer to the question "Why didn't Ben or the Lars change Luke's family name?" was always "Well, 'Skywalker' must be a very common name in the galaxy or something", and then this scene just disproves the idea.

To be fair, there are billions upon billions of inhabitants in the Star Wars galaxy, it’s big enough that an order of magic wizards essentially got forgotten about by most of the galaxy after like 20 years.

While saying it was common wasn’t probably the best way to put it, it’s likely there are other Skywalkers out there. Shimi came from somewhere, and as far as we can tell while Anakin grew up on tatooine we don’t know if he was born there.

There’s also that this isn’t Vader’s first run in with Luke, he’s encountered him a number of times and knows he is strong with the force. This isn’t just some random dude with a Skywalker surname that has turned up out of nowhere for no reason, it’s a talented young pilot who can use the force and on his first big flying mission with the Rebels used the the force to help destory an entire space station. There’s some parallels, you might even say it’s like poetry.

sphagnum

Banned
To be fair, there are billions upon billions of inhabitants in the Star Wars galaxy, it’s big enough that an order of magic wizards essentially got forgotten about by most of the galaxy after like 20 years.

While saying it was common wasn’t probably the best way to put it, it’s likely there are other Skywalkers out there. Shimi came from somewhere, and as far as we can tell while Anakin grew up on tatooine we don’t know if he was born there.

There’s also that this isn’t Vader’s first run in with Luke, he’s encountered him a number of times and knows he is strong with the force. This isn’t just some random dude with a Skywalker surname that has turned up out of nowhere for no reason, it’s a talented young pilot who can use the force and on his first big flying mission with the Rebels used the the force to help destory an entire space station. There’s some parallels, you might even say it’s like poetry.

And Just to be clear, there's an entire story arc after Vader finds out about Luke from Boba Fett where he has Aphra track down and torture the mortician who prepared Padme's body for her funeral to make surely she actually gave birth.

In case you're wondering about Leia, the mortician only confirmed to Aphra that a boy was born because that's what she was asking him, and it was his last way of staying loyal to Padme.

It reads like chat bots talking to each other.

I mean, you can see the obvious intent in it - playful banter with a bit of teasing and self-deprecation. But it is just so... stilted. How does one think the ages old saying of 'Love makes you blind' is better said as 'So love has blinded you?'?

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
That set picture of the tree leaked soooooo long ago. Last year I think. Feels good to finally be able to talk about it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It isn't the dialog that is wrong with the prequels.
It's the whole narrative that is flawed.
Worst part then was episode 3 and Anakin's turn and how/why he becomes Vader.
The concept was alright. Arrogant Jedi Knight wants power to keep his loved ones from dying, anger and patience issues exacerbate the problem, evil old guy swoops in and takes advantage of it. Classic downfall story. The writing and pacing was wonky.

I also agree with the post about loving the OT and PT trilogies. PT worldbuilding and atmosphere was ace. What is happening now with the new trilogy is also ace.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The prequels are objectively bad. Not everything about them is bad (the concept, the musical score is fantastic), but the execution of them is poor. Overall, I think the Clone Wars cartoon says more of what the potential of the prequels should be than the prequels. George had a vast playground to toy around in, but his execution of the themes he wanted to express was weak sauce.

If anything, a complete dialog rewrite would probably have done wonders for the movies, making their inconsistencies with the OT more palatable. Ultimately, I think Star Wars fans wanted the prequels to be good movies first, and connective tissue to the OT second. Unfortunately, we got neither good movies, or satisfying connective tissue, so some folks felt incredibly disappointed.

I didn’t like the prequels, but I don’t hate them either. As I said before, there are moments of good stuff in there (the pod race, the Darth Maul Battle, Obi-Wan on Kamino, that under appreciated moment where Anakin is somberly looking out of the window lamenting his decision to turn Sidious in to Mace Windu, thus dooming his wife to death, and Padme simultaneously gazing out of her window as if she sensed Anakin’s turmoil, all while that beautifully haunting score plays in the background...), but as a whole, and as individual films, they just aren’t good.

Despite having a talented cast of actors, the writing lets them all down. The prequels needed a few more drafts, and more input from other screenwriters and script doctors. The characters in the prequels not named Obi-Wan Kenobi were really rough.

The prequel's soundtrack is by far my favorite of the three trilogies. I've said it before but I'll say it again, John Williams was at the top of his game.

Episode 7 was dissapointing to me in this regard. Of course, it's Williams... The soundtrack itself is still absolutely phenomenal. Yet, judged against the other Star Wars soundtracks, it falls short imo. I really hope episode 8 is better.

Surfinn

The prequels are objectively bad. Not everything about them is bad (the concept, the musical score is fantastic), but the execution of them is poor. Overall, I think the Clone Wars cartoon says more of what the potential of the prequels should be than the prequels. George had a vast playground to toy around in, but his execution of the themes he wanted to express was weak sauce.

If anything, a complete dialog rewrite would probably have done wonders for the movies, making their inconsistencies with the OT more palatable. Ultimately, I think Star Wars fans wanted the prequels to be good movies first, and connective tissue to the OT second. Unfortunately, we got neither good movies, or satisfying connective tissue, so some folks felt incredibly disappointed.

I didn't like the prequel, but I don't hate them either. As I said before, there are moments of good stuff in there (the pod race, the Darth Maul Battle, Obi-Wan on Kamino, that under appreciated moment where Anakin is somberly looking out of the window lamenting his decision to turn Sidious in to Mace Windu, this dooming his wife to death, and Padme simultaneously gazing out of her wonder as if she sensed Anakin's turmoil, all while that beautifully haunting score plays in the background...), but as a whole, and as individual films, they just aren't good.

Despite having a talented cast of actors, the writing let's them all down. The prequels needed a few more drafts, and more input from other screenwriters and script doctors. The characters in the prequels not named Obi-Wan Kenobi were really rough.

Good assessment. In some cases, rewriting the dialogue actually doesn't fix things. For example, Jar Jar Binks is a flat out failure from beginning to end. This is apparent in EP2/3, where his presence is progressively phased out.

That's an ENTIRE MAIN CHARACTER that you flubbed, George. There's no rewriting that. It needed to be scrapped.

When you have an entire section of a film that needs to be scrapped, you've got a massive problem. You've got a conceptual problem (of course, some concepts are actually quite good, as you mentioned). Not to say I don't think there aren't fantastic aspects of the films, and you pointed them out above.

Think one thing I did not like about the prequels and glad did not seemingly make it into the newest set of movies, is the Lightsaber fights. The prequels were all flourish and pizzaz but made me wonder why the hell were were spinning and twirling so much. One friend who is admittedly more a fan than me said "it's supposed to be the traditional way of light saber fencing" or some nonsense.

Compared to the current films where they seem... not down and dirty but an actual fight.

GhaleonEB

Good assessment. In some cases, rewriting the dialogue actually doesn't fix things. For example, Jar Jar Binks is a flat out failure from beginning to end. This is apparent in EP2/3, where his presence is progressively phased out.

That's an ENTIRE MAIN CHARACTER that you flubbed, George. There's no rewriting that. It needed to be scrapped.

When you have an entire section of a film that needs to be scrapped, you've got a massive problem. You've got a conceptual problem (of course, some concepts are actually quite good, as you mentioned). Not to say I don't think there aren't fantastic aspects of the films, and you pointed them out above.

I remember before TPM came out, Jar Jar was said to be "the Chewbacca" of the trilogy. Yeah.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yeah, I guess I thought it was implied that when I said a few more drafts, that problem characters/concepts like Jar Jar Binks would be included in those drafts. I’m talking about this stuff happening before a single frame was put to film.

Personally, the prequels I thought I’d see were this:

Episode 1: Obi-Wan discovers a young, but talented Force user named Anakin Skywalker, a headstrong 15 year old that he takes under his wing and tries to teach him the ways of the Force (some world building space shenanigans would be the B and C plots, but the movie itself focuses on establishing the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker.). The movie ends with Anakin making a name for himself doing something heroic with his raw power, and gaining the attention of Palpatine, a cunnin and opportunistic chancellor. You can still use concepts like Qui-Gon and Darth Maul, with Maul killing Qui-Gon, and Obi passing on revenge, while Anakin is furious. No Jar Jar Binks as is, but Gungans could still be used.

Episode 2: An older Anakin Skywalker has grown cocky and overconfident, given his star pupil status at the academy, and his continuing successes in whatever space conflict we use as the backdrop for this film. He eventually begins to butt heads with his Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Perhaps Anakin’s desire for revenge against the villainous Darth Maul creates cracks between the two men. He meets and falls in love with a beautiful woman named Padme, and by film’s end, he has betrayed the Jedi Order (the B and C plots would revolve around the ascension of Palpatine and his corrupting influence on Anakin), and has killed at least one major Jedi Council member (ie, Mace Windu). The rub here is that Obi-Wan and the other Jedi don’t know who the traitor is, and it is sowing discord and distrust throughout the order. Anakin is also unaware that his wife is pregnant, and their relationship is destroyed when she learns the truth of his slide to the dark side.

Episode 3: Anakin continues his extermination of the Jedi under the noses of the Council, sabotaging any investigations while Palpatine makes his final plays to become Emperor. Obi-Wan eventually finds out, and Padme is forced to flee with baby Leia, while Luke is hidden away with Obi-Wan’s estranged brother, Owen Lars. Anakin is led to believe that his wife was killed during all the kerfluffle and he blames Obi-Wan for not looking out for her.

The rest of the film is Anakin wiping out the remaining Jedi, and Obi-Wan’s pursuit of him, eventually leading to a confrontation on a lava planet where they battle, with Anakin seemingly falling to his death in the lava after Obi-Wan disarms him. He assumes his friend is dead, and heads off to Tatooine to watch over infant Luke. He doesn’t know that Anakin is Darth Vader (save that for EU material where Obi-Wan learns that Anakin survived their battle, and that the Emperor’s mysterious new henchman, Darth Vader, is actually Anakin Skywalker). The B and C plots would be establishing the Rebel Alliance, Leia and Padme being hidden away with Bail Organa (again, more EU material can focus on Leia’s relationship with her mother and Bail), and the film can still end with nostalgic shots of Ben on Tatooine watching the Lars’ raising baby Luke.

I mean, that’s the kind of shit that I had floating in my head before the prequels came out (obviously without concepts like Darth Maul, Padme, etc etc).

A lot of that stuff actually is in the prequels, but as I said before, the execution was piss poor. Starting with a little kid Anakin was the biggest misstep for The Phantom Menace. I still argue he should have been a teenager, but still younger than Luke was in A New Hope (hence, having him be 14 or 15).

In either case, it doesn’t matter what could have been. The Clone Wars cartoon is all I really need from the prequel era.

I had two things in mind before the prequels happened...

1) Anakin is a formerly cool dude who is around 30 years old when he becomes Darth Vader. Sebastian Shaw looked around 50 years old in RotJ, and the stuff in the prequels was supposed to be 20 years ago.

2) I thought that the clones were some alien race they were in war with.

I don’t think anyone expected the Clone Wars to be robots vs clones of boba fett’s dad. So boring for what, if your mind, sounded like this crazy war people kept talking about.

sphagnum

Banned
I don’t think anyone expected the Clone Wars to be robots vs clones of boba fett’s dad. So boring for what, if your mind, sounded like this crazy war people kept talking about.

The way the Clone Wars unfolded is way better than some CRAZY CLONE INVASION like Zahn wanted.

Top Bottom