• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

Hope it mean one of collaborated development project cancelled, especially they have a new studio.
They do have quite number of collaborated in short time.

Too bad for job loss. Hope they will find one soon

Riki

I can't understand first-party closures/downsizing. Sony's got three platforms they're trying to support - don't they need all hands making as much content as possible?

If it's in response to Ascension - the problem with that game was not with the developer, it was with a franchise that had seen its logical conclusion and was fatigued.

PS4 and....?

Coxy

that's really weird, they've been hiring constantly and were trying to coax ex-irrational dudes the other day :/

Doesn't SSM help out a lot of different studios and stuff? Maybe it was just a small time thing they were helping out with and canned it, and not a big project.

They were helping out on both Rime and Everybody's Gone to Rapture. Doubt either of those have been canned.

At least I hope they haven't...

Gestault

Gah, that's awful. Hopefully their contacts still active in the company make finding follow-up work easier for the people let go. The strong pedigree of that studio will help, at the very least. Rough times for everyone, from the looks of it.

[Edit]:

We have offered outplacement services and severance packages to ease transition for those impacted.

That's good news, hidden alongside the bad.

Update: Sony has provided the following statement to IGN, confirming what our sources have told us:

SCEA can confirm that we have completed a reduction in workforce at Santa Monica Studio. This is a result of a cycle of resource re-alignment against priority growth areas within SCE WWS. We do not take these decisions lightly. However, sometimes it is necessary to make changes to better serve the future projects of the studio. We have offered outplacement services and severance packages to ease transition for those impacted.

Bad news. I hope not many are affected by this. :(

Update on IGN

SCEA can confirm that we have completed a reduction in workforce at Santa Monica Studio. This is a result of a cycle of resource re-alignment against priority growth areas within SCE WWS. We do not take these decisions lightly. However, sometimes it is necessary to make changes to better serve the future projects of the studio. We have offered outplacement services and severance packages to ease transition for those impacted.

Hopefully this is not the case. If a game has to be dropped though, it better be the next God of War. Don't saddle this studio with that series ad infinitum...

Whoah...that's crazy. Didn't they just move into a new much larger space as well?

Maybe the cancelled project is an outside game they were assisting on?

Very sad news. Everything that comes out of SSM is worth a hard look. I'm sure we lost a great project.

1886 canceled

FMYuXfw.gif

Jigorath

Banned
This sucks. I guess that Stig's project must have been in development hell, maybe Sony thought it was just time to can the project. I'm sure we'll still get GOW4.

stuminus3

Its OK guys Shu has a funny Twitter account and he seems like a cool dude I wish he was my friend I bet we'd get along great.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SCEASM is pretty involved in projects so it could just be some minor stuff but obviously their main teams should be intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom