• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Looks like Englert. So grainy. They had mentioned they wee doing something with Durieux, but this doesn't look like his work.

Edit: It's JC Richard.

I'm with you in the generalization that JC's (and Englert's) prints are usually grainy. Usually to the point where the physical print doesn't look as good as the jpeg, however, his first Indiana Jones print looks fucking fantastic in person. I passed by his booth at MondoCon and it instantly caught my attention, so I hopped on line and picked one up. Maybe that specific color palette, along with the lighting, translate super well for his artstyle, or he just put in some special effort for Indy. Regardless, I'm excited for more Indiana Jones from JC.

IronRinn

I'm with you in the generalization that JC's (and Englert's) prints are usually grainy. Usually to the point where the physical print doesn't look as good as the jpeg, however, his first Indiana Jones print looks fucking fantastic in person. I passed by his booth at MondoCon and it instantly caught my attention, so I hopped on line and picked one up. Maybe that specific color palette, along with the lighting, translate super well for his artstyle, or he just put in some special effort for Indy. Regardless, I'm excited for more Indiana Jones from JC.
They've both done prints I like. They just happen to love dat grain, is all. (Sometimes they can get a bit out of hand.)

Hey anyone get shipping confirmation for the timed exclusive Mad Max prints from a while back?
The Mondo ones? Not yet, but I put in an order at the 11th hour, so it will probably be a while for me.

IronRinn

Full print is pretty nice:

Tomorrow, Wednesday, September 9th at 12pm ET on Bottleneck. "Well of Souls" by JC Richard.

1422015792573755533.jpg

12" x 36" screen print. Signed and numbered edition of 225, $50.00.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Heya Art Print GAF, I was wondering if you could help me out ... I'm an Illustrator myself, but I'm not familiar at all with the art print community (based on movies, games etc).
All the beautiful prints shared here, are they all commissioned - or approved - by the rights holders? And if not, how do people deal with copyrights and stuff? Or do the rights holders just turn a blind eye because all these prints obviously contribute to the celebration and popularity of their properties?

I'm asking because I recently made a Millennium Falcon print myself, but in my enthusiasm I didn't even stop to think about if I'm even allowed to sell or distribute the print.

(and if so, I was also wondering if it's ok if I promote that print in this thread?)

IronRinn

Kitsuné;178070597 said:
Heya Art Print GAF, I was wondering if you could help me out ... I'm an Illustrator myself, but I'm not familiar at all with the art print community (based on movies, games etc).
All the beautiful prints shared here, are they all commissioned - or approved - by the rights holders? And if not, how do people deal with copyrights and stuff? Or do the rights holders just turn a blind eye because all these prints obviously contribute to the celebration and popularity of their properties?

I'm asking because I recently made a Millennium Falcon print myself, but in my enthusiasm I didn't even stop to think about if I'm even allowed to sell or distribute the print.

(and if so, I was also wondering if it's ok if I promote that print in this thread?)

Someone like Mockingbird or deadbolt could chip in with real info on the bigger galleries/distributors, but I would say that probably 80-90% of the work here is not officially approved by the rights holders. Everything by Mondo (now that they have gotten big enough) is approved, I believe. Certainly for likenesses. Some of the stuff for Bottleneck (the Lucas stuff in particular) is as well. I don't think it would be financially feasible to go after the myriad instances of copyright violations, especially when, yeah, they keep people excited about this stuff.

Edit: As for promoting your work: I think it's fair to say that we've been operating under the policy that so long as you don't spam the thread, it's fine. If anyone has anything to add to that (or wishes to discuss it even) please do.

Limiting Factor

Neo Member
IronRinn covered most of it but just to add one thing, make sure you have the supporting infrastructure to sell your work. It's unbelievably frustrating to see people's work but no easy way to make a purchase because the store is coming soon or some other reason.

For example, I think orioto does an excellent job showing their work and making it easy to purchase.

Hey guys!

CMx9_NyWEAAsMfK.jpg:large

50 posters HERE

Risible

I always thought that as long as you did small print runs the rights holders didn't come after you. Kinda like a fair-use thing. 30 prints? No biggie. 250 prints? We have a problem.

This is me talking out my ass, of course.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think it would be cool if the people who plan on pimping their own stuff participated more in this little community. Like, as opposed to just drive-by linking tk their newest product.

ohkay

I always thought that as long as you did small print runs the rights holders didn't come after you. Kinda like a fair-use thing. 30 prints? No biggie. 250 prints? We have a problem.

This is me talking out my ass, of course.
I think it's more the artists/people selling are assuming the risk is smaller with a small run since they're making less money, and therefore less likely to be targeted for copyright infringement. I'm sure the copyright holders could come after anyone, regardless of the run size

BigHow

Neo Member
I think it's more the artists/people selling are assuming the risk is smaller with a small run since they're making less money, and therefore less likely to be targeted for copyright infringement. I'm sure the copyright holders could come after anyone, regardless of the run size

Popping in my IP attorney head to say, yes - the copyright holders can come after you at any time.

Before I get into this, I also have to provide the caveat that I am not your attorney and that anyone reading this post should not take it as legal advice. Please consult your own attorney before taking any action.

Traditionally, the rights holders for nerdy properties have been relatively lax with people making their own fan art and selling it. Mostly because it'd be really bad publicity for Disney (or whoever) to run through Artist's Alley at a Con dropping C&Ds on their most ardent fans. But that doesn't mean that a regime change at Company X couldn't change that.

Also, keep in mind that actual profits aren't the only means of collecting damages from infringers. Assuming the copyright has been registered (which it likely has for any pop culture property), the owners can opt to seek statutory damages of up to $30,000 for non-willful infringement or up to $150,000 for willful infringement. And since it's hard for anyone to legitimately argue that they didn't know STAR WARS was copyrighted, I'm sure they'd seek statutory damages if going after a small quantity infringer.

Finally, the prevailing party in a copyright suit is eligible for attorney's fees. So the theoretical cost of filing a suit isn't what's stopping the rights holders either.

ruxtpin

Banned
I've been looking on EB and Google for some advice, but haven't found much and thought I'd give poster-gaf a shot...

Post office left one of my mondo poster tubes outside in heavy rain. Take the poster out of the tube to find it's all wavvy and soft from the moisture and isn't flat (not due to the tube, but moisture). I've sandwiched it between some paper and placed heavy books over it in an attempt to flatten it back out, but is there any better way to fix the moisture damage?

IronRinn

Available tomorrow, Thursday September 10th on Mondo: More Batman: The Animated Series poster from PCC:

Batman: The Animated Series - Mudslide by Phantom City Creative. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Batman: The Animated Series - The Man Who Killed Batman by Phantom City Creative. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

IronRinn

I've been looking on EB and Google for some advice, but haven't found much and thought I'd give poster-gaf a shot...

Post office left one of my mondo poster tubes outside in heavy rain. Take the poster out of the tube to find it's all wavvy and soft from the moisture and isn't flat (not due to the tube, but moisture). I've sandwiched it between some paper and placed heavy books over it in an attempt to flatten it back out, but is there any better way to fix the moisture damage?

Have you tried messaging Mondo for replacements? Worth a shot before trying to figure out how to flatten them back into shape (though the way you are doing it is more or less the way to go).

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Available tomorrow, Thursday September 10th on Mondo: More Batman: The Animated Series poster from PCC:

Batman: The Animated Series - Mudslide by Phantom City Creative. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Batman: The Animated Series - The Man Who Killed Batman by Phantom City Creative. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45
Come to papa.

Limiting Factor

Neo Member

You'd need a dehumidifier to pull the water out of the print but the dehumidifier will also pull water out of the surrounding air. So, a small room with a dehumidifier could dry out the print over the course of several hours.

I had a similar problem with a water pipe that burst upstairs, resulting in water coming through the ceiling and destroying a print I was flattening on a table. It was an apartment so the rental agency contracted a cleaning company that came out pretty quick to remove the water in the carpets and set up several dehumidifiers to dry the rest of the apartment. The print was ruined due to staining from the water damage but I left it out just to see if it would dry out over time with the dehumidifiers. About a day later the print was dry but it had a strong curl to it.

Best of luck with saving the print.

ruxtpin

Banned
Have you tried messaging Mondo for replacements? Worth a shot before trying to figure out how to flatten them back into shape (though the way you are doing it is more or less the way to go).

Yeah. Customer support asked for pics. Out of town at the moment, but I'm going to email some shots once I get back.

Yeah. Customer support asked for pics. Out of town at the moment, but I'm going to email some shots once I get back.

Mondo CS is very good. They replaced a print for me that the PO lost and they had just marked as delivered like 5 hours before my mail normally gets delivered.

I didn't even have pics or proof.

Filthy Slug

I would definitely politely keep in contact with them if the issue isn't easily fixable. They have great customer service, and maybe you can send yours back in exchange for a new one. You can even offer to send it back in exchange so they don't think anything shady is going down.

ruxtpin

Banned
Yeah, that's what I was reading on EB. And I've contacted them in the past and their CS has been great. Just this one time where the poster got damaged due to the PO's fault. Had them already start shipping my remaining posters to my folks house, at least there I know it will stay dry.

Meier

His Lolita concept was amazing, and great execution as well.

Not feeling that Jaws though.

Couldn't possibly come across as lazier if it tried. Jaws should have a bigger fin at a minimum.. at least make it feel Jaws-y, you know? It doesn't have to be massive, but give it some menace.

1yXgw.jpg

That's a big fin. Multiple feet.

IronRinn

Haha, boy, tough crowd. I like it. I think the fin is perfect. Gives it a sense of traveling through a vast ocean. To each their own!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Haha, boy, tough crowd. I like it. I think the fin is perfect. Gives it a sense of traveling through a vast ocean. To each their own!

I think it's great because the movie was about the fear of the idea of the shark, not seeing a shark running around killing everyone. For most of the movie you don't even see him.

Filthy Slug

The wake left behind the fin looks like a shark, too. It's kind of cool and minimalistic, but not something I'd frame and hang.

Also, just wanted to chime in and say PCC's Batman Animated Series prints are super underrated.

IronRinn

I think it's great because the movie was about the fear of the idea of the shark, not seeing a shark running around killing everyone. For most of the movie you don't even see him.

Also a good point.

The wake left behind the fin looks like a shark, too. It's kind of cool and minimalistic, but not something I'd frame and hang.

Also, just wanted to chime in and say PCC's Batman Animated Series prints are super underrated.

I think Justin Erickson does the BTAS prints (I'm not sure how many people besides Erickson and Paige Reynolds are at PCC) and, yeah, his work on them has been stellar. They could have been title cards for the actual episodes and fit perfectly. Wonder how many they'll wind up doing.

Filthy Slug

Also a good point.

I think Justin Erickson does the BTAS (I'm not sure how many people besides Erickson and Paige Reynolds are at PCC) and, yeah, his work on them has been stellar. They could have been title cards for the actual episodes and fit perfectly. Wonder how many they'll wind up doing.

I won't be happy until I get a print with Scarface (and fine, I guess Ventriloquist, too)!

But seriously, such a weird, but cool thing they're doing with these.

IronRinn

"Bruce Hemingwayne" by Zach Landrum Friday, Sept. 11 on Bottleneck at 12pm ET:

11226047_941419265929548_3553063861273487702_n.jpg

11" x 14" screen print. Signed and numbered edition of 100. $35.00.

There will also be a pin for $10.00. Edition of 200.

I love PCC's BTAS prints. I have almost all of them so far. The biggest challenge is displaying them all. I hope they get into some of the Superman ones as well. The vinyl was great.

Meier

I have no issue with them not showing the shark killing someone, I was just showing that image as a frame of reference. His fin is over half the height of the human he's eating -- it's at least 3 feet tall. It should be prominent. There's no way you see that image without a title bar below it and think, "Yeah, that's a Jaws poster." That image represents nothing about "Jaws" as a film or "Jaws" as a character.

At least provide some sort of shadow under the water to give an idea of the fact the shark that this weak ass fin is representing is an absolute monster

I have no issue with them not showing the shark killing someone, I was just showing that image as a frame of reference. His fin is over half the height of the human he's eating -- it's at least 3 feet tall. It should be prominent. There's no way you see that image without a title bar below it and think, "Yeah, that's a Jaws poster." That image represents nothing about "Jaws" as a film or "Jaws" as a character.

At least provide some sort of shadow under the water to give an idea of the fact the shark that this weak ass fin is representing is an absolute monster

You could say the same thing about Durieux's.

Risible

You could say the same thing about Durieux's.

To be fair, Durieux's has a concept (I'm not too fond of it either, though). Beachside with the fin being "concealed" on the umbrella, it's high concept.

This one isn't, it's just ocean and fin. And the fin is too small :).

edit: looking at it more closely, I think he was trying to convey something like "Hey, this is a huge expanse of ocean, and yet Jaws is so big you can still see his fin sticking up in this vast landscape." Maybe?

DemiMatt

Just saw this, thought it was interesting:

Jaws by Bartosz Kosowski

18" x 24" 1 colour screen print printed on 230gr Stardream Opal metallic paper. Signed and numbered edition of 140. €40.00.

*Drools*

So sad it sold out, would have bought in a heart beat. So clean, so simple, so iconic. grrrrrr

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Someone like Mockingbird or deadbolt could chip in with real info on the bigger galleries/distributors, but I would say that probably 80-90% of the work here is not officially approved by the rights holders. Everything by Mondo (now that they have gotten big enough) is approved, I believe. Certainly for likenesses. Some of the stuff for Bottleneck (the Lucas stuff in particular) is as well. I don't think it would be financially feasible to go after the myriad instances of copyright violations, especially when, yeah, they keep people excited about this stuff.

Edit: As for promoting your work: I think it's fair to say that we've been operating under the policy that so long as you don't spam the thread, it's fine. If anyone has anything to add to that (or wishes to discuss it even) please do.

Many thanks to you, BigHow and the others for the feedback. Seems like I wouldn't be in the clear. I'm gonna think about it some more first before I decide to sell anything.

I can however show you guys a picture, some feedback would be great.

DbOOhXn.png

It's a black print on dark gray and black heavy paper stock. The ink is a little bit reflective, which gives off a subtle but nice effect on the black paper.
I know it's more of a technical drawing instead of an illustration. I initially made it just for myself, but afterwards I thought that others might be a interested in such a print.

Top Bottom