• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My rant on overweight justification in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
ScOULaris said:
This is an issue that has been brought up once or twice in this thread: people pressuring others to eat poorly so that they don't feel bad about doing so.

I eat sweets occasionally, but if I would turn down a piece of cake at work there would always be a few people who took offense. What? Like I'm am asshole for not eating cake every damn day? What if I offered you a vegetable medley? I guarantee you'd turn it down.
Yeah, that is what makes it so obnoxious; people take offense to my not wanting to eat some hyper-frosted sugar cookies or a coolwhipped cake-pie monstrosity every week. Then I get to overhear snide comments about me being a picky eater or elitist all damn day. Or 'you need to put some meat on your bones', usually from people would should lose 50 pounds or more, which pisses me off to no end.

I also had this problem with my family, too, who are mostly overweight or obese.

TheLastCandle said:
But yeah, I generally avoid unhealthy food during the workday because I'll just feel like ASS sitting in that chair all day with a burger and fries in my gut.
This too, A holiday or special event food coma is fine, but not something I want to experience multiple times a week, especially at work.

It's one thing to be obese and in denial...it's a different realm when you're overweight, happy, and don't give a shit what shallow people think.

I was 220 lbs. two years ago, now I'm 280...I partly blame my girlfriend for being such a great cook, but the other part of me knows it's because I don't bother with dieting or exercise. I can lose weight whenever I feel like it, because I've always been good about following strict regimens, but sometimes folks just wanna say "fuck that" and eat happily.

glaurung

MightyHealthy said:
It's one thing to be obese and in denial...it's a different realm when you're overweight, happy, and don't give a shit what shallow people think.
What if you are overweight, unhappy and post on GAF?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ScOULaris said:
This. People convince themselves that the only way to stay at a healthy weight is to eat raw lettuce and run 10 miles a day. By pretending that the solution is so extreme, it helps them justify not attempting to get in shape. Tons of healthy foods taste great, and you can still eat junk once in a while in moderation if it's that important to you. Fuckin' people, man.
What I find amazing is how many people say that healthy food tastes "bland" without an hour of preparation time. I've been replacing chips with raw carrots for my snacks, tastes pretty good to me.

KingGondo

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm overweight (6ft 225lbs) and unable to lose weight properly as a result of SSRI use. Unfortunately, attempts to switch medications or stop entirely right now simply aren't possible. I put on over 20 lbs since beginning this medicine back in April. There was a period where I was not eating well, but I've since ceased that behavior. Exercise and watching what I eat isn't helping. At the moment, I've been eating the same portion sizes as my wife and her parents (they are visiting to help with the baby). All of them are actually losing weight on this diet while I continue to gain. Our physical activity levels are all similar.

I'm at a loss. :\ When I switched medicines, I started to lose weight again, but then the tinnitus, depression, anxiety, etc all came back in full force shortly there after.
Sorry. Jon Bones still thinks you're a pathetic piece of shit.

DarkKyo

ScOULaris said:
My throne's atop a very tall mountain so the air's pretty THIN up here.
Well as long as you know you're a douche I guess-- you make no excuses.
MightyHealthy said:

I was 220 lbs. two years ago, now I'm 280...I partly blame my girlfriend for being such a great cook, but the other part of me knows it's because I don't bother with dieting or exercise. I can lose weight whenever I feel like it, because I've always been good about following strict regimens, but sometimes folks just wanna say "fuck that" and eat happily.
The key is to just control your portions. "Eat happily" shouldn't cause you to be almost 300 pounds. Many people can eat happily and lose weight at the same time. It sounds like an excuse to me and I am someone who lost over a hundred pounds a few years back.

Came across this quote recently

"[Aguilera] called me fat for so many f---ing years. F--- you, you're fat, too," she said on the show, "Maybe she is just becoming the fat b---h she was born to be." - Kelly Osbourne

For the people who say society can't be blamed for anyone feeling badly about their bodies, I'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG7U1QsUd1g

Because clearly it's impossible for the pressures of society to make people feel bad about themselves, right? It's all the fault of the person.

For the record, I believe people should get healthier in anyway they, but shaming them and making them think they can transform into a supermodel overnight is one of the worst ways to do it. Besides you can still look "fat" and be healthy, seeing how some people's version of "fat" is apparently being a skeleton. But honestly? Very few people in this topic are worried about the health of these people, they just want something to make fun to make themselves feel better.

And outside of a few crazy people on the internet, I've never heard of anyone "justifying" their fatness. I have, however, seen plenty of people want to accept who they are and work better to improve themselves, even if the improvements are very little.

jmdajr

Anyone think overweight people should pay more for healthcare?
I'm sure there are particular circumstances where people might be overweight because of things outside their control, but the majority of people just do it to themselves.

But the cryout... discrimination!

Well at least I got the best rating possible for my life insurance. Be nice if I could get those kind of deductions for my health insurance.

The_Technomancer said:
What I find amazing is how many people say that healthy food tastes "bland" without an hour of preparation time. I've been replacing chips with raw carrots for my snacks, tastes pretty good to me.

The thing is that attitude isn't just limited to overweight people.

reggie

Banned
This post may start a shit storm, but here it goes.
Why is it completely unexceptable to say anything that may be interpreted as the tiniest bit racist, but perfectly acceptable on this forum to completely shit on overweight people?

I can hear some of you already: "Race is not a choice, being fat is", you may be correct, but you are still judging people by their looks all the same.

For the record, I am overweight and couldn't care less about what you have to say, about being overweight or otherwise, I'm just wondering why the double standard.

ScOULaris

MightyHealthy said:

All that matters is that you can admit that Christina Aguilera is fat in that picture. If you pass that test, you're in the clear.

The point of the OP wasn't to criticize fat people, but rather to address the issue of people basing their standards for healthy weight around the average overweight American.

MightyHealthy said:

Pretty much how I feel about it.

And frankly I follow the "fuck that" regimen pretty hard during the holidays. Pass the fucking cheesecake.

piddledy

I think to lose weight is in some ways harder than to quit smoking (or cure other similar addictions). To lose weight you need to plan rather far ahead in time, and the pull of unhealthy foods is basically always present in our society. To quit smoking, you can start any day by throwing out your pack and not entering convenience stores, and it's not as though smoking is all that popular or heavily advertised, anyway.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
bill0527 said:
When's the last time you went grocery shopping for a family and bought nothing but lean meats and fresh produce. It isn't cheap.
Ahahaha, yes it is. Moving into my own apartment was an eye opener for me. It is so much cheaper for me to eat healthy. Processed food is fucking expensive, its like $4.50 for two hot pockets. Frozen pizzas run between 5 and 6. That's a fifth of my weekly food budget.

Orayn

jmdajr said:
Anyone think overweight people should pay more for healthcare?
I'm sure there are particular circumstances where people might be overweight because of things outside their control, but the majority of people just do it to themselves.

But the cryout... discrimination!

Well at least I got the best rating possible for my life insurance. Be nice if I could get those kind of deductions for my health insurance.
Again, what standard would you use? It's easy to talk about STUPID UNHEALTHY FATTIES LOL in nebulous terms, but how do you actually establish any of it?

MightyHealthy said:

That's really the thing. I've improved my diet immensely over the last year by cutting out soda completely along with adding alot more fruits and vegetables, but I don't have a lot of free time to do true exercise, however I do ride my bicycle an hour at least 2 to 3 times a week.

I'm around 225lbs, but I'm around 6 feet, so in general I have the build that Seth Rogan had a few years back.

I'm a big guy, no argument there, and I'd like to be smaller, and I'm taking the steps to do so, but as long as I don't get any bigger than I am now I'm fine with that.

suzu

Being obese is obviously terrible for your health and unattractive, but I'm not gonna come up with stupid shit like how a fat person has bad character because they're fat. Wtf.

Also being slightly overweight/chubby isn't awful. Women get so much more crap for it than men too. Pressure like that is what leads some females to go stick thin which is also unhealthy.

Kraftwerk said:
Not trying to sound like a dick, but being fat is very unhealthy. I know a few girls who posted this on picture facebook and emailed it to other.

xHJS2.jpg

Really? You spend hours putting on make-up and fixing your hair, but obviously you don't care about how you look? Also, it's not as if the Rolling Stones magazine is any different than vogue these days. It's all the same shit.

"I hate exercise"

"My goal in life is to never be skinny"

Please stop spewing crap, making other girl justify being overweight. You don't have to be Nichole Richie skinny. You can be moderate and healthy, and eat nearly anything you want.
It's ironic that she states that she doesn't care about how she looks, but is spending all her energy making sure she never loses weight.

There are ton of other famous people who say such idiotic things.

And before you call me an asshole, I love curvy women myself. But everything has a limit.
See I have nothing against overweight people but it's this kind of attitude that gets to me. ugh, "you hate exercise"? you're actively preventing yourself from being healthy? You can love food and have a healthy body too, come on as the OP said the main problem is really portions more than what you're eating. It's this validating being overweight , acting as if you're being discriminated against and creating this false dichotomy that you can either be fat or "model/actress/Playboy bunny" thin that I hate.

DarkKyo

ScOULaris said:
All that matters is that you can admit that Christina Aguilera is fat in that picture. If you past that test, you're in the clear.

The point of the OP wasn't to criticize fat people, but rather to address the issue of people basing their standards for healthy weight around the average overweight American.
You just called someone a lazy fatass even though they are happy with their weight.

Jme

xbhaskarx said:

You realize this is photoshopped to all hell, right?
It even has a (backwards?) worth1000 logo.
Also, it's just obviously photoshopped. Look at it.

The_Technomancer said:
Guess what? Different people have different tastes or nutritional needs. I don't care how healthy celery is for some one else but to me it tastes like one of the most awful things in the world.

reggie said:
Why is it completely unexceptable to say anything that may be interpreted as the tiniest bit racist, but perfectly acceptable on this forum to completely shit on overweight people?

I can hear some of you already: "Race is not a choice, being fat is". You may be correct, but you are still judging people by their looks all the same.

For the record, I am overweight and couldn't give a flying fuck what you say, about being overweight or otherwise, I'm just wondering why the double standard.

Because hating overweight people really has become the socially acceptable replacement for racism. You can't dislike me because I'm black but you could if I was overweight. Plus obesity can transcend all races so you can hate even more people.

jmdajr

CrazyDogg77 said:
The thing is that attitude isn't just limited to overweight people.

There are skinny people who are just in bad health. High blood sugar, high cholesterol, and just horrible conditioning. Funny, I think I read that overweight people have healthier hearts than lazy skinny people just from the fact that they get more Cardio lugging themselves around. Heck my friend who is overweight has amazing Popeye calves!

Meus Renaissance said:
Came across this quote recently

"[Aguilera] called me fat for so many f---ing years. F--- you, you're fat, too," she said on the show, "Maybe she is just becoming the fat b---h she was born to be." - Kelly Osbourne

Is it wrong of me to have preferred slighly pudgy Kelly Osbourne?

reggie said:
I can hear some of you already: "Race is not a choice, being fat is". You may be correct, but you are still judging people by their looks all the same.
Then why are you asking this? If someone wants to mutilate their face with plastic surgery or set a world record for most piercings or get a tattoo of Sonic the Hedgehog across their forehead they absolutely have a right to it--but I reserve the right to think that it's stupid and disgusting.

The_Technomancer said:
Ahahaha, yes it is. Moving into my own apartment was an eye opener for me. It is so much cheaper for me to eat healthy. Processed food is fucking expensive, its like $4.50 for two hot pockets. That's a fifth of my weekly food budget.

What people seem to forget is that cooking with fresh ingredients takes a crap load of time, especially if cooking for a family. With less parents opting to raise their own children and going back to work they are all 'too tired' to cook.

They then spend most of that other parent's salary on childcare and eating out, not realizing how little the benefit from both working.

Dude Abides

Banned
Look at all these enervated half-men obsessed with their weight like a bunch of sorority girls before spring break. Probably wear skinny jeans too. No wonder society is so pussified.

Honestly, I had a professor whom I still talk to and he was...6'0 and nearly 350 lbs. It's funny how his weight was enormously high, yet he had no health problems and when he was 55. He's now 60 years old and lost about 130 lbs and has ridiculous problems like borderline diabetes when his diet has no sweets, fats, and few carbs. Oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch, and baked chicken with small portion of rice for dinner.

Life works in odd ways...

ScOULaris said:
Thus ends my rant. Hopefully we can get some good discussion going here with viewpoints from International-GAF for a broader context, but I have a feeling that everyone's just going to call me an asshole.

I will take time to read the thread carefully and post something more constructive when I finish work, but for now I just wanted to give you the internet equivalent of a slow clap and a nod.

Orayn

suzu said:
Being obese is obviously terrible for your health and unattractive, but I'm not gonna come up with stupid shit like how a fat person has bad character because they're fat. Wtf.

Also being slightly overweight/chubby isn't awful. Women get so much more crap for it than men too. Pressure like that is what leads some females to be go stick thin which is also unhealthy.
Can't make an attractive, skinny society without cracking a few anorexic eggs, I guess. I'm sure OP would just say they were fatties on the inside.

KingGondo

Banned
piddledy said:
I think to lose weight is in some ways harder than to quit smoking (or cure other similar addictions). To lose weight you need to plan rather far ahead in time, and the pull of unhealthy foods is basically always present in our society. To quit smoking, you can start any day by throwing out your pack and not entering convenience stores, and it's not as though smoking is all that popular or heavily advertised, anyway.
Frank Bruni made a good point in an article the other day (regarding how some people are discounting Chris Christie because he's obese):

Food is the one vice that it's impossible to completely quit. Drugs, alcohol, nicotine, and sugar are all things we can abstain from--it's impossible to simply never eat again.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
reggie said:

For the record, I am overweight and couldn't give a flying fuck what you say, about being overweight or otherwise, I'm just wondering why the double standard.

I think the difference is simple. In one case, that person has no control of (color/race). In the other, the majority of people do. To people, it can be a reflection of much more. No self control, a reflection on their livelihood, and more.

Just nothing worse than watching a movie in a theater and hearing an overweight gentlemen behind struggle to breathe while he chows down on a large tub f buttered popcorn... =(

The_Technomancer said:
Ahahaha, yes it is. Moving into my own apartment was an eye opener for me. It is so much cheaper for me to eat healthy. Processed food is fucking expensive, its like $4.50 for two hot pockets. That's a fifth of my weekly food budget.
At a glance it does look more expensive, but yes, lean simple meat and produce is a pretty cheap buy at the store. I break it down like this to keep it simple for myself (buying for two):

$50/week

$15 meat/protein (mostly fish or poultry, eggs too)
$10 dairy
$15-20 produce (incl fruit)
$5-10 misc (flour, etc)

This keeps me from buying too much junk that I don't need and it will last us a whole week. It also keeps me from the junk aisles.

cwmartin said:
There's a high horse joke to be had in this thread somewhere.
Not even horses want to be fat.

Dude Abides said:
Look at all these enervated half-men obsessed with their weight like a bunch of sorority girls before spring break. Probably wear skinny jeans too. No wonder society is so pussified.
Wait, so not being obese now makes you a pussy?

Amazing.

Yeah it sure takes a whole lot of manliness to spend your life on a couch with a gallon tub of ice cream. Is that what you tell yourself to make you feel better every time you drag your bulbous ass to the fridge?

piddledy

The_Technomancer said:
Ahahaha, yes it is. Moving into my own apartment was an eye opener for me. It is so much cheaper for me to eat healthy. Processed food is fucking expensive, its like $4.50 for two hot pockets. Frozen pizzas run between 5 and 6. That's a fifth of my weekly food budget.

What's your grocery list look like? Just curious.

Kintaro said:
Just nothing worse than watching a movie in a theater and hearing an overweight gentlemen behind struggle to breathe while he chows down on a large tub f buttered popcorn... =(

The thing is you have to deal with a minor disturbance for 3 hours. He has to deal with people thinking he is disgusting for as long as he remains the way he is.

reggie

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
Then why are you asking this? If someone wants to mutilate their face with plastic surgery or set a world record for most piercings or get a tattoo of Sonic the Hedgehog across their forehead they absolutely have a right to it--but I reserve the right to think that it's stupid and disgusting.
I said may, I wasn't and and still am not going to get into that side of the argument. My point was you are still judging people based on their looks.

Hari Seldon

Dude Abides said:

Haha I love you man.

Tideas said:
increase in gas usage -> increase in oil prices
increase in airfare -> airline can't discriminte just fat ppl, so they just raise up the price for everyone

Sorry, but are these the same airlines that charge two tickets to an oversized person? What the fuck are you talking about?

Marleyman

Banned
Dude Abides said:

Loved this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom