• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World’s first “negative emissions” plant has begun operation—turning CO2 into stone

My basic science is very rusty but dont plants take co2 and convert it to oxygen? Wouldnt it be easier to just plant more....plants? Or trees?

They do, but very inefficiently. IIUC Phytoplankton is a more effective source of negative carbon, but their numbers have been declining

Skinpop

Technology won't save us from one of the top 3 destructive forces on this planet that is meat & dairy production (there are arguments to be made it's the most destructive but I won't get into that). All of these CO2 reducing innovations are pointless when people will jack off to anything with bacon and meat & dairy consumption & production keeps increasing

Why not? Not so long ago I read a study[1] on how replacing 2% of cattle feed with a specific algae can reduce their methane output by 99%. We are also not that far away from consumer ready artificially grown meat. I see no reason to believe tech/science won't solve this problem.

[1]http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2016/seaweed-may-cut-cows-methane-production/

MUnited83

For you.
Technology won't save us from one of the top 3 destructive forces on this planet that is meat & dairy production (there are arguments to be made it's the most destructive but I won't get into that). All of these CO2 reducing innovations are pointless when people will jack off to anything with bacon and meat & dairy consumption & production keeps increasing

Those can also be improved with technology...

They do, but very inefficiently. IIUC Phytoplankton is a more effective source of negative carbon, but their numbers have been declining

It's the most efficient way of getting rid of co2.

It also helps that wood itself is usable in various ways which can replace other more energy heavy materials in construction for example.

sturmdogg

No one touches my milk, ice cream, burgers and steak. Got it?!

I know this is correct form a purely human instrumental perspective, but that is pretty condescending...Plants use it in the process of photosynthesis which is fucking amazing for life in general, and they provide a whole raft of other benefits as the foundation of food chains and habitat. It may be ineffcient for our uses given the carbon catastrophe of our own making, but it generally serves plants who have a completely different function.

I mean, this approach to storing carbon as solids can be complimentary, but reducing consumption emissions and increasing healthy ecosystem biomass is by far the best option. For instance, whales are also big carbon sinks and they live a long time. We should also concentrate on helping their populations recover (i.e., blue whales at something like 1% or less of their pre-human population).

Raonak

Banned

im sure synthetic/printable food will solve that eventually...

DavidDesu

Pump real money into this and see it become ever more efficient and cheaper per ton of carbon captured. The amount the world spends on weapons and military hardware could easily achieve this utopian goal. We can do it but it requires the will. Sadly we’re all short sighted arseholes so it won’t happen.

llien

One tree (Iceland used to have those I was told) consumes about 20kg.

At 50t it is equivalent to 2000-2500 trees.

I'd rather have 2000-2500 more trees, to be honest, and I suspect it's cheaper too.

The question is how well does it scale up.

But Climeworks already did that a while ago? Why is it now the first?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=239337405

Did a thread on it back then.

From the article.
In May this year, Climeworks set up its first commercial unit near Zurich, Switzerland, capturing about 1,000 metric tons of CO2 from the air each year (equivalent to 20 US households’ annual emissions). The captured CO2 is supplied to a nearby greenhouse, where a high concentration of the gas boosts crop yield by 20%.
But the company’s newest installation in Iceland is even more impressive, because it’s the first true “negative emissions” plant.

Brashnir

It also helps that wood itself is usable in various ways which can replace other more energy heavy materials in construction for example.

And it's not enough. Unless of course, your plan is to go back to the world as it was in the pre-cambrian period cor a couple hundred million years. (meaning no people, no large animals, and a planet completely covered in plants.)

I would personally like to see something a little more immediate and compatible with human and animal life.

Efficiency implies effectiveness per unit, where unit could be anything from “1 tree” to “amount of land area occupied by an average tree” to “amount of resources, natural and artificial, to sustain 1 tree” to any number of other things.

Point is, efficiency has nothing to do with the cumulative effect. Trees may very well have the largest cumulative effect, but if you’re talking bang-for-buck, they are not really all that great. Definitely not the most efficient

You sure it's the first "negative emissions" plant? I'm pretty sure there are already plants turning CO2 and water into hydrocarbons.
Which is imo the even more elegant solution. But this is also neat.

Top Bottom