• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

MikeMyers

- Rules turn off for legendaries - I can't use them, but I can catch them and reset if I fail/KO them by accident. (Similarly, if a pokemon faints against it, I'm not counting it, since the purpose is to catch it, not kill it)

I actually used Articuno in my Nuzlocke of the original generation (to sweep Lance), I had to keep using Max Repels so Articuno would be the first to appear, then I Master Balled it (it was a Nuzlocke challenge, so I didnt care for getting Mewtwo).

That works for Zapdos too, not for Moltres because Onix will still appear in Victory Road

I actually used Articuno in my Nuzlocke of the original generation (to sweep Lance), I had to keep using Max Repels so Articuno would be the first to appear, then I Master Balled it (it was a Nuzlocke challenge, so I didnt care for getting Mewtwo).

That works for Zapdos too, not for Moltres because Onix will still appear in Victory Road
When I did Red, I actually started ignoring the "catch first on each route" rule just because my team from... we'll say Celadon on stayed the same throughout the rest of the game.

I used the repel trick for Articuno but by the time I got to Moltres I didn't really care. Also, with Articuno my Charizard died, but I kept it adhering to that rule I mentioned.

Least favorites:

Gen 1: Venusaur- I'm sorry but I really enjoy Bulbasaur and Ivysaur but Venusaur becomes a disgusting overgrown reptile.

Gen 2: Feraligatr- the line goes from cute/cool to quirky to just plain hideous.

Gen 3: Slaking & Shiftry- Never cared for either design

Gen 4: Ambipom, LickyLicky, Tangrowth- Really ugly/offensive evolutions. Regigas is pretty over the top as well.

Gen 5: Garbodor and Vanillish are prob the most offensive designs in the entire series. I dislike a lot of the legendaries from this era including Reshiram, Meloetta and the Genie trio.

Gen 5 has the biggest love/hate ratio for me. There are a number of abominations that are among the worst in the series but there are many that are among the best designs, imo.

backlot

Least favorites:

Gen 1: Venusaur- I'm sorry but I really enjoy Bulbasaur and Ivysaur but Venusaur becomes a disgusting overgrown reptile.

Gen 2: Feraligatr- the line goes from cute/cool to quirky to just plain hideous.

Gen 3: Slaking & Shiftry- Never cared for either design

Gen 4: Ambipom, LickyLicky, Tangrowth- Really ugly/offensive evolutions. Regigas is pretty over the top as well.

Gen 5: Garbodor and Vanillish are prob the most offensive designs in the entire series. I dislike a lot of the legendaries from this era including Reshiram, Meloetta and the Genie trio.

Gen 5 has the biggest love/hate ratio for me. There are a number of abominations that are among the worst in the series but there are many that are among the best designs, imo.
Ice cream can't be a Pokemon but tempura can be a wizard? I ain't buying it.

What's a nuzlocke?
It's a challenge with two basic rules:

1) you can only catch the first pokemon you encounter in any route/cave/etc.

2) if a pokemon faints, it's considered dead and you have to release it/box it

Also generally you have to nickname all of your pokemon, though that's not really a "rule"

There are a number of variations on it, but that's the basic nuzlocke run.

Professor Beef said:
My friends and I call Carnivine "Hamburger Face."

It made sense at the time.
Actually, I totally see it.

It looks like some deformed combination of Green Grimace and Hamburglar.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's a challenge with two basic rules:

1) you can only catch the first pokemon you encounter in any route/cave/etc.

2) if a pokemon faints, it's considered dead and you have to release it/box it

Also generally you have to nickname all of your pokemon, though that's not really a "rule"

There are a number of variations on it, but that's the basic nuzlocke run.

Actually, I totally see it.

It looks like some deformed combination of Green Grimace and Hamburglar.

:O

What about in-game pokemon trades with NPCs? Or gift pokemon? (IE: starters, the random egg you get from the professor's assistant after the 3rd or 4th gym, etc)

:O

What about in-game pokemon trades with NPCs? Or gift pokemon? (IE: starters, the random egg you get from the professor's assistant after the 3rd or 4th gym, etc)
Some people make exceptions for gifts/eggs, some don't. For this run I don't count event pokemon. (Like on Route 120, I let myself catch Absol, my first tall grass encounter, even though I ran into and caught the Kecleon that Steven shows you)

The guy who made up the run did a comic of it here. So far he's done Ruby, Fire Red, and just started White.

Dariee

The rules I'm playing with right now

- Rules turn off for legendaries - I can't use them, but I can catch them and reset if I fail/KO them by accident. (Similarly, if a pokemon faints against it, I'm not counting it, since the purpose is to catch it, not kill it)

(...)

I'm writing a comic of it on the side, as well. Still working on the first chapter, up to the Roxanne battle.
Why would you catch Legendaries if you're not using them? Or to share with other games i.e. complete your Pokédex on White or something?

Share that comic when finished!

Let's see Pokemon I don't like...

Gen 1: Jynx-Just her blackface look in general just looks wrong and makes her come across as real creepy. Mr. Mime I guess would be a direct second.

Gen 2: Dunsparce-Like what is it supposed to be? Doesn't help that it was a pain to catch in the originals. Just a real ugly design.

Gen 3: Luvdisc-At least later on it provides us with easy access to Heart Scales but I really don't care much for its design. That and it seems like they were starting to run out of ideas for Water Pokemon.

Gen 4: Infernape-I stated earlier that I love the Chimchar line and the first two evolutions are great! It's just when Monferno evolves...ugh. Just a crummy design...and he has to to get stuck with the Fighting type too...next time I'm keeping my Monferno as is!

Gen 5: Garbador-I'm gonna take a wild guess and figure this has already been picked to death so explainations aren't needed!

Gen 2: Dunsparce-Like what is it supposed to be? Doesn't help that it was a pain to catch in the originals. Just a real ugly design.
A tsuchinoko:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko
The Tsuchinoko, literally translating to "hammer's spawn," is a legendary snake-like cryptid from Japan. The name tsuchinoko is prevalent in Western Japan, including Kansai and Shikoku; the creature is known as "bachi hebi" in Northeastern Japan.

Tsuchinoko are described as being between 30 and 80 centimetres in length, similar in appearance to a snake, but with a central girth that is much wider than its head or tail, and as having fangs and venom similar to that of a viper.[1] Some accounts also describe the tsuchinoko as being able to jump up to a meter in distance.[2]

According to legend, some tsuchinoko have the ability to speak and a propensity for lying, and is also said to have a taste for alcohol. Legend records that it will sometimes swallow its own tail so that it can roll like a hoop, similarly to the mythical hoop snake.

Wiseblade

You guys are doing a least favourite Pokémon list? AND YOU DIDN'T CALL ME?!

Gen I: Grimer/Muk - Purple sludge. How original. ¬.¬

Gen II: Dunsparce - Worst Pokémon in the game.

Gen III: Wow, this is hard. I can't think of any Gen III Pokémon I don't like. I guess... Sceptile?

Gen IV: Magmortar - so ugly.

Gen V: Emboar - One of theworst ever.

Kokonoe

Banned
Random thought, does anyone here like this Pokemon?

Spinda
WX72J.png

clemenx

Banned
Um, just saw the Pokedex 3D Pro info... Is anyone else thinking about buying it? Say yes so I don't feel bad. I may normally show the middle finger to having to pay something for like that, but the simple Pokedex 3D we have now is just mesmerizing to me, I love opening up and just seeing the models.
Less interested in Dream Radar but I may just buy it too. I'm Pokemon's bitch >_>

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So there's a new preview video of the next season of the REAL :)P) anime.

Here's a link to it on a German fansite

Looks pretty fun. Meloetta is apparently joining up with Ash for awhile, Piplup and Oshawott are cock-blocking each other, Cynthia and Caitlin battle, and judging by the background music, we're getting a new Opening finally.

Piplup and Oshawott are cock-blocking each other.

smug.png

Oh, hell yes.

They are marketing Meloetta hard; it stars in the new ending sequence, it travels with the group, it gets the first Pikachu short with a movie for 9 years, Team Rocket's plot in Best Wishes 2 is at least partially focused on it, Piplup and Oshawott are fighting over it... they obviously want this Pokémon to be big. Smash Bros, anyone?

Apparently Meloetta has a crush on Ash.

:/

First Latias, now this. If I were Ash, I'd be getting a complex by this point.

I wonder if Meloetta's just got a Meowth-style arc with the group, or if it's actually sticking around for the rest of Best Wishes? I'd imagine that travelling everywhere with a legendary Pokémon might get noticed.

Clearly nobody told the writers of the show that Meloetta is genderless!

This still makes no sense. I don't see why the Kamis are male, but such an obviously feminine Pokémon as Meloetta can't be female.

I get the feeling that the anime will be quite rightly ignoring that.

OMG Aero

They are marketing Meloetta hard; it stars in the new ending sequence, it travels with the group, it gets the first Pikachu short with a movie for 9 years, Team Rocket's plot in Best Wishes 2 is at least partially focused on it, Piplup and Oshawott are fighting over it... they obviously want this Pokémon to be big. Smash Bros, anyone?
No. Stop that. Don't even give them the idea.

Also fuck Piplup. It is basically the same character as Oshawott but Oshawott pulls it off ten times better.

No. Stop that. Don't even give them the idea.

It's happening. Transformation, Pokémon promotion to a level not seen since Lucario, bipedal, easy to come up with a moveset... if the next Smash comes out before Sixth Gen, I'll be pretty damn surprised if Meloetta isn't there.

Hell, I'll be mildly surprised even if Smash comes out after sixth gen and Meloetta isn't there.

Also fuck Piplup. It is basically the same character as Oshawott but Oshawott pulls it off ten times better.

Damn right.

Why would you catch Legendaries if you're not using them? Or to share with other games i.e. complete your Pokédex on White or something?

Share that comic when finished!
Yeah that's actually my main motivation for my recent nuzlocke fix, to get any unobtainables from the previous gens.

Wiseblade

His ability wouldn't be so much of a problem if he had a reliable way of actually sticking around for 5 turns. His only ways of recovery are Drain Punch and Rest.

What makes it even more hilarious is that Skill swap simple gimps him forever rather than instantly giving him full strength.

EDIT: although apparently that was only in JP D/P. ¬.¬

Top Bottom