• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Vert boil

Released today,

apps.60032.13510798887570821.db622a85-f3d6-47f7-9cc1-4d06b0e958ac.2b329e63-51ec-4805-8e54-f1f8c36a5cb2

Everspace - 30$, 7.88GB.
(Leaving Game Preview.)

Rime - 30$, 4.29GB.

Spellspire - 8.50$ (will rise to 10$), 152MB.

Daigoro

it looks pretty budget, but i'm interested in that Zazen kinect title. heh

they never did a proper tai chi app for kinect did they? that would be cool

OK not sure what Tokyo 42 is but the screenshots make it look awesome... its in the coming soon section.

Just bought Shadow Warrior 2... which is oddly only available in a bundle with the first game...

yeah i heard about Tokyo 42 last week. i'm looking forward to picking it up next week for sure

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Constructor hd have a demo without achievements.You can play the tutorial(very long) and a level with time limit of 12 minutes.Fun game but not at that price.

Vert boil

Constructor hd have a demo without achievements.You can play the tutorial(very long) and a level with time limit of 12 minutes.Fun game but not at that price.

Ahh, didn't know it let you play a level. I glitched the tut by having both crews in the gadget factory before it ask me to send one in there.

Did you try to earn an achievement in the game section? The achievement tracker tracks progress on three achievements during the tut and if you restart the tut, the totals continue to go up so I presumed it might be possible to blag some if you hated yourself enough to replay the tedious tutorial.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Ahh, didn't know it let you play a level. I glitched the tut by having both crews in the gadget factory before it ask me to send one in there.

Did you try to earn an achievement in the game section? The achievement tracker tracks progress on three achievements during the tut and if you restart the tut, the totals continue to go up so I presumed it might be possible to blag some if you hated yourself enough to replay the tedious tutorial.

You are right.Maybe you can earn some achievements by repeating the tutorial or doing the level of 12m.But i did some achivements in the tutorial and only appears a screen saying you earn an achievement but nothing unlocks :/

Montresor

Darn I just lost two chapters of work/playtime in Candleman.

The last time I had played on my brother's Xbox, I was up to the beginning of Chapter 7.

I got up to the beginning of Chapter 9 on my own Xbox. Stopped playing / turned off the system.

Then I loaded Candleman on my brother's Xbox and for some reason it didn't even attempt to sync with the cloud - it still showed that I was at the beginning of Chapter 7. So I did a hard shut down of that console. Then went to my own Xbox - and when loading it said "Your other Xbox is taking too long to sync, would you like to keep trying to Sync or load last known save from the cloud".

I chose to load the last known save from the cloud but that fucked me apparently. Now on both consoles I'm at the beginning of Chapter 7.

First time this has happened for me on Xbox. What the heck. Was there something I could've done to prevent this nonsense?

U2NUMB

Darn I just lost two chapters of work/playtime in Candleman.

The last time I had played on my brother's Xbox, I was up to the beginning of Chapter 7.

I got up to the beginning of Chapter 9 on my own Xbox. Stopped playing / turned off the system.

Then I loaded Candleman on my brother's Xbox and for some reason it didn't even attempt to sync with the cloud - it still showed that I was at the beginning of Chapter 7. So I did a hard shut down of that console. Then went to my own Xbox - and when loading it said "Your other Xbox is taking too long to sync, would you like to keep trying to Sync or load last known save from the cloud".

I chose to load the last known save from the cloud but that fucked me apparently. Now on both consoles I'm at the beginning of Chapter 7.

First time this has happened for me on Xbox. What the heck. Was there something I could've done to prevent this nonsense?

I had something similar on this game... lost a level or 2 of progress and then gave up. So either the game has bad check points or it has a slight save bug.

Montresor

I had something similar on this game... lost a level or 2 of progress and then gave up. So either the game has bad check points or it has a slight save bug.

Vert boil said:
Only thing you could have done was delete the local save before starting the game up.

Thanks. It only took me 45-50 minutes anyway to gain back those chapters, since I was familiar with them already. Candleman was quite a nice game. Very pretty to look at. I'll rate it a 4/5. It was find all the unlit candles. Chapter 8 was the only chapter that really felt puzzle heavy though. Definitely the highlight of the game. Most of the time the game play consists of simple platforming and judicious use of your candle wick / light. I would've liked to see more chapters like Chapter 8.

Montresor

Any thoughts on Blackwood Crossing? It's point and click ya? Saw it was on sale for $10

It's ok, nothing spectacular but ok for 2 hours. It got some serious jank though.
10 is still a little steep imo.

I will be getting Blackwood Crossing at that reduced price. Some reviewers that I trust on YouTube essentially say "Very short but has a fantastic emotional story".

I'm in the middle of three games already though:

Titanfall 2
The Sexy Brutale
Ori and the Blind Forest

So I'll need probably a couple of weeks before I can have any impressions on Blackwood Crossing.

Orca

On xbox you will be charged immediately, and if the game s available to download you ca start the pre loading. You can cancel the order and ask for a refund before the game launch, but it is a pain.

That's not really accurate. If you use account credit, it's deducted immediately - but you can get a refund easily either via Xbox Support. I generally use the chat option, and I'm done with the issue in less than 5 minutes.

If you use a credit card it's deducted around the time the game launches - up to 7 days early from my experience.

Finished Enigmatis 2, it was pretty great...probably one of their better games so far. Enigmatis and Nightmares From The Deep are definitely a bit ahead of their other recent releases lately. Wasn't a fan of Dark Arcana or the Fable one. Grim Legends 2 is out this month though and the first was good

Montresor

Finished Enigmatis 2, it was pretty great...probably one of their better games so far. Enigmatis and Nightmares From The Deep are definitely a bit ahead of their other recent releases lately. Wasn't a fan of Dark Arcana or the Fable one. Grim Legends 2 is out this month though and the first was good

Yeah the last couple of ones definitely weren't as good as some of the earlier ones. Personally I have a really, really soft spot for the Clockwork Tales game - I loved the Nazi-inspired, WW2-inspired European setting and focus on steampunk technology. Enigmatis and Nighatmres From The Deep are definitely up there though.

How do you know Grim Legends 2 is coming out? I was just thinking the other day that I could really use a new Artifex Mundi game.

Yeah the last couple of ones definitely weren't as good as some of the earlier ones. Personally I have a really, really soft spot for the Clockwork Tales game - I loved the Nazi-inspired, WW2-inspired European setting and focus on steampunk technology. Enigmatis and Nighatmres From The Deep are definitely up there though.

How do you know Grim Legends 2 is coming out? I was just thinking the other day that I could really use a new Artifex Mundi game.
They announced it a while ago here's he infographic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8kUe3gWsAAKIA4?format=jpg&name=large

I vaguely remember them announcing the exact date a week or two ago but can't find it

Thanks. It only took me 45-50 minutes anyway to gain back those chapters, since I was familiar with them already. Candleman was quite a nice game. Very pretty to look at. I'll rate it a 4/5. It was find all the unlit candles. Chapter 8 was the only chapter that really felt puzzle heavy though. Definitely the highlight of the game. Most of the time the game play consists of simple platforming and judicious use of your candle wick / light. I would've liked to see more chapters like Chapter 8.

It may have been unfixable, but unfortunately you also picked the worst option, as that would always pick your local chapter 7 copy.

With the sync..either your brother's Xbox couldn't upload it, so the save file was stuck on his machine, or you couldn't download it.

The only way to try and fix it would have been to check your connection was generally working (e.g. connected to live, hard reboot etc). And then go to your brother's and do the same...then go back to your house and see if the save file could come through.

I suspect all of that would be longer than 45 minutes! (And less fun?)

Deleting your local copy would only work IF the chapter 9 version was syncd to the cloud AND your machine could download it.

Montresor

Finished Skylar & Plux the other day. About 4-5 hours for the 1000 gamerscore. I thought it was worth a playthrough... but damn, it's pretty simplistic. I give it a 2.5/5. The visuals are really, really, really nice - reminds me of a Mario game for sure (just based on visuals). And a lot of the music in the game is great. But the general premise of the story is awful. Voice acting is horrible, cutscenes are horrible, the characters are horrible. Plux's character needs to be taken to the shed and put out of his misery. I think the core game play is pretty decent (lots of good platforming) and the music was fantastic (especially the piano tune in the middle of Clover Mountain) but the puzzles in the game were extremely simple, and the voice acting and story and presentation were awful.

This seems like a game made for kids. Not like a Mario game - a Mario game is family-friendly and still has enough to earn respect/attention from an adult. Skylar & Plux really seems like it's just a kid's game.

Any thoughts on Blackwood Crossing? It's point and click ya? Saw it was on sale for $10

Well I ended up starting this game. I'm really impressed with the visuals and character models - it looks really crisp and clean on XB1. But I'm working today, won't be home until around 6pm and I probably won't finish the game in time to really give you my full impressions. The sale will be over by then.

The game seems solid and polished so far though. Good controls and visuals and voice acting. And a really weird, surreal story.

Montresor

Also played the first two episodes of Walking Dead A New Frontier yesterday as it was on sale.

Good, good stuff. I absolutely love Telltale games even if they can be rough around the edges. This XB1 port/edition is pretty good - the game performs well, LOOKS really good and has awesome characters and story. I mean I don't need more than that from Telltale.

Montresor

It's ok, nothing spectacular but ok for 2 hours. It got some serious jank though.
10 is still a little steep imo.

So I finally had a chance to complete this and yeah I'll echo Guerilla's thoughts - it's just "ok". I'll give it a 3/5. I don't know if you ended up buying it on sale Banjo-Kazooie, but I'd definitely say the $16 to $10.50 sale from last week was not enough, and it's at full price now - definitely not worth the full $16.

The game has some really, really good and polished visuals, controls, voice acting and music. I don't agree that there's any jank - although sometimes the main character walks a little bit too slowly.

The weakness of the game is the story and game play - this is a narrative 1st-person adventure/puzzle game. The puzzles are lackluster and the story wasn't too interesting. Those have to be strong for this genre of game.

So the game is not bad. Decent/okay. Definitely not great like some of other puzzle/adventure games on the system like QUBE, Turing Test, Firewatch, etc...

Montresor

Just posting some quick thoughts on the Microsoft conference.

It showed a lot of stuff that I liked. The two biggest weaknesses was there weren't any new announcements of 1st party exclusives (besides Forza 7 and Ori 2) and the price is really bad. But in terms of games I thought it was really, really good, and damn it's pretty discouraging to see the opposite on Neogaf. Microsoft just doesn't know how to excite gamers in general but for me personally, I guess they just hit all the right spots for me. I can't do anything other than *shrug*. It's discouraging because there aren't many people to share my excitement with. But I guess Microsoft has themselves to blame for this. Again, I can just *shrug* and be happy that I'll enjoy the fuck out of the games coming over the next year. But to see the lukewarm reception on Neogaf has me thinking "Will this last" you know? Like sure, I'll enjoy these games, but nothing from Microsoft seems to click with gamers in general, so will they stay successful long enough for the platform to continue to thrive? Or will the Xbox platform fizzle? I'd hope that for E3 2018 Microsoft completely re-evaluates the way they do E3 conferences - people expect Megaton surprises which Sony does every year, and which Microsoft never does. People's response to Microsoft's E3 will always, always be lukewarm unless Microsoft changes and starts securing those kinds of "huge" surprise announcements.

People have their own expectations but I'm genuinely shocked to see how differently people have reacted to the below games (which I'm personally so so excited about).

Games of the show for me:

Tacoma
Life Is Strange Prequel
The Last Night
The Artful Escape

Four different indie games that look fucking awesome. Two of which are confirmed to release in 2017 (Tacoma coming shortly on August 2nd). We FINALLY have a date for Tacoma, and having a Life Is Strange game centred around Chloe and Rachel was just huge for me.

And other games I really like, which I most certainly will get, were:

AC Origins
Shadow of War
Super Lucky's Escape
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Cuphead
Ori Will Of The Wisps

Super Lucky's Escape and Sea of Thieves in particular knocked my socks off. Cutesy, colourful platformer looked amazing. And Sea Of Thieves looked incredible - I loved the idea of solving puzzles, plundering treasure, and battling cooperatively with other people.

Other games that looked great but I'd have to see more before I confirm a purchase:

Anthem
Crackdown 3
Metro

Couple that with the OG Xbox BC announcement and the conference overall told me: "Hey Montresor, for the next year or so you're guaranteed an awesome slate of games you're going to love."

Just posting some quick thoughts on the Microsoft conference.

It showed a lot of stuff that I liked. The two biggest weaknesses was there weren't any new announcements of 1st party exclusives (besides Forza 7 and Ori 2) and the price is really bad. But in terms of games I thought it was really, really good, and damn it's pretty discouraging to see the opposite on Neogaf. Microsoft just doesn't know how to excite gamers in general but for me personally, I guess they just hit all the right spots for me. I can't do anything other than *shrug*. It's discouraging because there aren't many people to share my excitement with. But I guess Microsoft has themselves to blame for this. Again, I can just *shrug* and be happy that I'll enjoy the fuck out of the games coming over the next year. But to see the lukewarm reception on Neogaf has me thinking "Will this last" you know? Like sure, I'll enjoy these games, but nothing from Microsoft seems to click with gamers in general, so will they stay successful long enough for the platform to continue to thrive? Or will the Xbox platform fizzle? I'd hope that for E3 2018 Microsoft completely re-evaluates the way they do E3 conferences - people expect Megaton surprises which Sony does every year, and which Microsoft never does. People's response to Microsoft's E3 will always, always be lukewarm unless Microsoft changes and starts securing those kinds of "huge" surprise announcements.

People have their own expectations but I'm genuinely shocked to see how differently people have reacted to the below games (which I'm personally so so excited about).

Games of the show for me:

Tacoma
Life Is Strange Prequel
The Last Night
The Artful Escape

Four different indie games that look fucking awesome. Two of which are confirmed to release in 2017 (Tacoma coming shortly on August 2nd). We FINALLY have a date for Tacoma, and having a Life Is Strange game centred around Chloe and Rachel was just huge for me.

And other games I really like, which I most certainly will get, were:

AC Origins
Shadow of War
Super Lucky's Escape
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Cuphead
Ori Will Of The Wisps

Super Lucky's Escape and Sea of Thieves in particular knocked my socks off. Cutesy, colourful platformer looked amazing. And Sea Of Thieves looked incredible - I loved the idea of solving puzzles, plundering treasure, and battling cooperatively with other people.

Other games that looked great but I'd have to see more before I confirm a purchase:

Anthem
Crackdown 3
Metro

Couple that with the OG Xbox BC announcement and the conference overall told me: "Hey Montresor, for the next year or so you're guaranteed an awesome slate of games you're going to love."
Super Lucky's Tale is up for $30 physical if you want it. I just preordered from MS Store. I *think* MS is publishing but have not received an answer yet haha.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/super-luckys-tale-for-xbox-one/8znk82972g53/nc5v

Edit: yep MS publishing http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/super-luckys-tale

Montresor

Super Lucky's Tale is up for $30 physical if you want it. I just preordered from MS Store. I *think* MS is publishing but have not received an answer yet haha.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/super-luckys-tale-for-xbox-one/8znk82972g53/nc5v

Edit: yep MS publishing http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/super-luckys-tale

Ah, so is Super Lucky's Tale considered a 1st/2nd-party game?

If yes - this game is flying way way way under the radar. It should be a big deal that a company like Microsoft (known for shooters, Halo, Gears, and Forza) has secured a 1st/2nd-party game that looks as cute and colourful as this.

Love the price by the way - thanks for the link. $30 is really good.

Ah, so is Super Lucky's Tale considered a 1st/2nd-party game?

If yes - this game is flying way way way under the radar. It should be a big deal that a company like Microsoft (known for shooters, Halo, Gears, and Forza) has secured a 1st/2nd-party game that looks as cute and colourful as this.

Love the price by the way - thanks for the link. $30 is really good.
Yep this is one of Shannons overseen games. 2nd party though, Microsoft does not own the IP. I agree this looks very cute...fills a nice family appropriate void too.

I believe Microsoft is also publishing that Darwin Project game

Montresor, i kinda agree. As i already have an xbone there is loads for me to play within the next year, but not much to sell the system to newbies (that said, anyone who can look at that lineup AND the already released games and say 'nah nothing' is surprising, imo).

What MS didn't do was announce anything big for after next Spring. Sony announce stuff way ahead and get a lot of excitement, MS used to, then Scalebound was cancelled and boom, over cautious imo. Now the reductive and deeply rhetorical 'no games' idea is stronger than ever, mainly because nothing has been announced for the latter half of next year.

I wonder if they will hold a smaller Xbox only thing later this year/Gamescom. It would be strange to announce Halo 6 + ?? at E3 2018, mere months before presumed release.

Montresor

Typoman is on sale for only 30 or so more minutes... It's down to $6.50 Canadian.

Did anyone here like the game? I really don't want to buy another decent/mediocre indie game like Blackwood Crossing. Would love to know if Typoman is _great_ according to some of you GAFers.

Edit: I decided not to get it - watched a few extended trailers and game play videos. Doesn't look extaordinary. I'll pass.

Ohmbrew

Just posting some quick thoughts on the Microsoft conference...."

Montressor,

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I too enjoyed the conference. And like some of you have previously stated, I was disappointed that there weren't many "wow" surprises, but I'm still excited for the games coming out and am looking forward to picking up the new console and playing great versions of some exciting 1st and 3rd party releases coming this year and early next year.

I believe MS is now going the cautious route with game announcements after being burned in the past, but I have to be careful to not expect too much prior to these conferences. I think my biggest mistake going into the next E3 conference will be to expect a boatload of secret games MS has been hiding and waiting to announce. I have to try and be realistic on the 1st party expectation and hope for some surprises. I think it'll be tough!

I'm quite excited for OG Xbox BC. I never owned the OG Xbox (had a PS2), so I missed out on a lot of the early games. Even while owning a 360, I missed so many classics since I was mostly only into sports games, so having 360 BC now has allowed me the opportunity to experience so much that I've missed. I think the main reason I love playing on the Xbox platform is that I feel MS are providing so many little enhancements to the everyday usage of the system that as a whole, the platform suits how I use an entertainment box in my living room and man cave. As an older gamer, I don't have the same amount of time available for gaming as I used to, but having the Xbox integrated into our daily usage for music, photos, media, and gaming suits me well.

I know how you feel regarding perception and reactions here on NeoGAF. I find it frustrating to read the posts on the main page when there is anything related to Microsoft. In fact, this thread acts as a bit of solace for me whenever I want to read about xbox impressions. Thanks to all for the good discussions taking place in this thread.

I thought overall the conference was solid, if not conservative. I'm excited for the new console and am looking forward to the wide array of games coming soon!

(wow, sorry for the novel!)

Top Bottom