• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

thank god they still won.

Coolmat had no idea how to cope against Roadhog.

Well byeeee Rogue

What a game. I agree Coolmatt seemed like he was losing his mech every 30 seconds it was nuts. Renegades showed out though, at least enough that J3sus and Mangachu should be getting looks for OWL.

But in the end... GO CORNDOGSSSSSSS

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I mostly quit because I'm salty about doomfist nerfs making him yet another cool new character that's apparently exclusive for the top 1% of players. I don't even care about maintaining the one hit, I just want a brawler character like him to be worth playing for any reason below GM.

But it's true that the biggest bummer is the same as the biggest bummer for HotS. A combination of the game design and matchmaking forcing you to play characters you don't want to play if you want to win. That's just not fun.

MCD

Was without internet for like three weeks and in two days and 10 hours before my college days start I finally did it:

5b8524dc-22dc-485e-a291-c4bcbf57d628.png

From 2600 to 3000 in two days just by exculsively playing the new and amazing D.VA. I love her so much she is incredible now. I can hunt any healer. I no longer fear Tracers/Soldiers/Sombra and can punish anyone who try to kill our healers. Yes I can barely eat half an ULT now but the trade-off is so much better and it shows from my 400 SR gain.

TL;DR I'm Diamond after more than 200 hours of Comp and will continue to aim higher.

Thanks Jeff.

BashNasty

Done trying to learn Junkertown in Arcade. Map is shit.

I love how anytime a new map comes out, you can guarantee that several people in this thread will call it shit. It's hilarious how it never fails.

I love junkertown. The open areas are a really interesting change of pace and the overall aesthetic is quite pretty (in a grimy way).

Veelk

Banned
Man, the difference between good mercies and bad ones is painful when they're on your team.

"I see two of you on the point. Who should I rez?!"
"Don't Rez anyone, we're surrounded by the enemy team!"
*Rezzes anyway*

Meanwhile the enemy team is goddamn immortal because they're smart enough to use 2 healers and their mercy doesn't make stupid shit plays.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Man, the difference between good mercies and bad ones is painful when they're on your team.

"I see two of you on the point. Who should I rez?!"
"Don't Rez anyone, we're surrounded by the enemy team!"
*Rezzes anyway*

Meanwhile the enemy team is goddamn immortal because they're smart enough to use 2 healers and their mercy doesn't make stupid shit plays.
Reverse situation:

*Your Mercy doesn't see any good times to res*
"Our Mercy is shit"
"Mercy when ya gonna res"
"Our Mercy is throwing pls report"

Veelk

Banned
Reverse situation:

*Your Mercy doesn't see any good times to res*
"Our Mercy is shit"
"Mercy when ya gonna res"
"Our Mercy is throwing pls report"

I can't speak for others, but I know when a Rez is being used correctly and when it's not. I'm not gonna criticize a mercy for not rezing me if I don't think that Rez would have actually benefitted the team fight.

On a side note, I don't think Mercy is HUGELY overpowered, but I still think her flying makes her stupidly hard to kill. If you don't have a long range hitscan like soldier, she's basically out of everyone's range. What the hell are you supposed to do to kill her if you don't?

Another side note: I really like D.Va's Micro Missiles, but when I use them to dive, I cannot tell wtf is happening because of all the particle effects in my face. Does anyone else have the same issue here?

Blues1990

I'm looking forward to Junkenstein's Revenge that will be coming this October.

Really, with the addition of Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch added to the arcade mode, I do hope that a permanent Horde Mode will be added to the game in the future.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
On a side note, I don't think Mercy is HUGELY overpowered, but I still think her flying makes her stupidly hard to kill. If you don't have a long range hitscan like soldier, she's basically out of everyone's range. What the hell are you supposed to do to kill her if you don't?

She definitely is very hard to shoot during Valkyrie, but I think it's balanced out a bit by her having to get inches away from a downed teammate to Rez them. I wouldn't be surprised if organized teams started focusing one of her teammates and then have a Tracer or Reaper or something lie in wait to take her out when she swoops in for Rez.

That kind of coordination is going to be rare to encounter in a solo-queue environment though, so she probably will get nerfed eventually.

Schlep

Working my alt up pretty close to diamond and it's funny how some players still play like bronze or silver. It gets a bit better climbing in diamond, but not much. Seems like the whole ratings system is broken.

when there's a pharah on point. monkey jumped up damaged her a bit. drops down, you GA to him while still in air to sling up. stay floating and then pistol whip her to death. (y)

Veelk

Banned
More losses than wins tonight, mostly because of leavers or really dumb picks on our comps. Shoutout to the dude who kept trying to use Bastion on the choke in attack on Hamamura and wouldn't switch until the last 30 seconds of the round.

Also, it feels like every time I'm on attack, the enemy has set up a cancer comp defense. It's getting really annoying.

randome

More losses than wins tonight, mostly because of leavers or really dumb picks on our comps. Shoutout to the dude who kept trying to use Bastion on the choke in attack on Hamamura and wouldn't switch until the last 30 seconds of the round.

Also, it feels like every time I'm on attack, the enemy has set up a cancer comp defense. It's getting really annoying.

That’s exactly how it feels for me too. Every time we go up against a sym/mercy/torb/bastion/orisa/rein or some variation of that.

Fuck, I hate when my 4 DPS team switches to an actual viable comp with 30 seconds left. And it's always 30 seconds. I've actually steamrolled games when that happens, but usually it's an L.

Veelk

Banned
Fuck, I hate when my 4 DPS team switches to an actual viable comp with 30 seconds left. And it's always 30 seconds. I've actually steamrolled games when that happens, but usually it's an L.

That round annoyed me so much because we actually managed to break through with a few picks a bunch of times, but Bastion and Orisa never moved passed the safety of their shield at the choke, so we never actually got the point. It's so stupid.

randome

I’ve mainly been playing mercy and noticed I’m winning a lot. It’s pretty awesome. Bonus is that she’s actually really fun to play as. The broken SR gains don’t hurt either lol.

Owzers

Mercy's res range is messing with me as is putting the ability on L3. I like nothing about this...but i donn't want to put it on a different button.

Decided to try Mercy again in Comp because I never really got to sink my teeth into her new kit and wow she’s FAR more fun to play than before. She feels like you have more agency as a solo player than before and it’s a ton more engaging and interesting. Might continue with using her now tbh, she fits like a glove now.

I even won most of my games today! Decayed down to 3125 and I’m back in the 3300-400 range.

With that said, I dunno if I like the new D.Va. Feels too much like a 180 in her playstyle for me.

I’m kinda LTTP on this lol

Edit: Question. Is Junkertown temporarily disabled in Comp? Haven’t gotten to play it once and was wondering if it was just me. I remember playing lots of Horizon Lunar Colony in Comp when it hit live.

MartyStu

Just had an insane Ana game.

Darts, heals and clutch nades and DPS where just coming out of my ass like crazy.

AND I still managed to beat my normal accuracy rating.

Shit, I am still shaking.

I really wished I taped that because there is so much I could have learned from that. I will never be that good again :(

leng jai

So are they ever going to do something about leavers? There's literally one every second or third game, it's ridiculous. Surely there's some way to balance it out so that it's not almost impossible for the 5 man team to win.

So are they ever going to do something about leavers? There's literally one every second or third game, it's ridiculous. Surely there's some way to balance it out so that it's not almost impossible for the 5 man team to win.

It's actually super easy to solve:
1) Pause game.
2) Add replacement.
3) New player can only gain, not lose, SR.

Taadaaaaah!

AngryMoth

Trying out PC after 300 hours on PS4 and holy shit do I suck, would probably place bronze if I tried right now.

Would you guys recommend trying to start learning low sens right away for someone who's never plays a competitive shooter on pc before or start out higher. Finding it hard to get used to moving my mouse a lot to do a 180.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Mercy's res range is messing with me as is putting the ability on L3. I like nothing about this...but i donn't want to put it on a different button.

What I did was put Rez on Triangle like it used to be, put her Ult on Circle, and move reload to L3. You can just reload by switching over to her staff for a bit, so having it on an awkward button isn't a huge deal.

Blues1990

Trying out PC after 300 hours on PS4 and holy shit do I suck, would probably place bronze if I tried right now.

Would you guys recommend trying to start learning low sens right away for someone who's never plays a competitive shooter on pc before or start out higher. Finding it hard to get used to moving my mouse a lot to do a 180.

As for low/high sensitivity, that's ultimately up to user preference, as I personally like my mouse DPI to be at 1800 and sensitivity to be set at 6.50. Go and mess around with the settings in the Practice Range to find what's to your liking.

I wonder if we will be able to play as all heroes in Junkenstien's revenge this time like what they did to Uprising.

One of the developers mentioned that was one of the biggest complaints about Junkenstein's Revenge (which is what they rectified for the Uprising Horde Mode), so I'm hoping that the option is there.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lol I just realized that as far as overall winrate my winrate on widow is abysmal, it's like 45% this is despite her being one of my most played heroes. It's likely the culprit there is that i spent like 20 hours just getting good at her in QP and that was A LOT of losses. Anyone else have some heroes that just took you a while to get good at or have weird circumstances and the stats look weird?

Another one for me is solider, he's a hero that I always do well with when I actually pick him for a match but I usually always pick him as a last ditch effort to retake the point or something so my winrate with him is like 22% lmao.

Veelk

Banned
One of the developers mentioned that was one of the biggest complaints about Junkenstein's Revenge (which is what they rectified for the Uprising Horde Mode), so I'm hoping that the option is there.

In fairness, the way that mode was designed, certain characters would utterly break it. D.Va's ult would literally wipe the entire maps, Reinhardt could just stand at the gate swinging his hammer, Junkrat and Roadhog would be able to wreck the bots from a distance, etc. You could cheese uprising as well, but not to the same extent.

Aleh

I love the new D.va and I get revved a lot more with the new Mercy now. So fun to play with these updates to be honest, maybe I’ll be able to crawl out of bronze this time lol

Blues1990

In fairness, the way that mode was designed, certain characters would utterly break it. D.Va's ult would literally wipe the entire maps, Reinhardt could just stand at the gate swinging his hammer, Junkrat and Roadhog would be able to wreck the bots from a distance, etc. You could cheese uprising as well, but not to the same extent.

A fair point, and I'm interested to see how they'll balance it when the mode returns in October. Orisa and Doomfist would be interesting to see.

Veelk

Banned
Jeff was right. He said when Dive went out of balance, I'd be begging for dive to come back. And I am. Because quickplayers have absolutely NO goddamn answer for a cancer comp. Shit, they have no answer for Symmetra on attack. Entire games are spent them literally running into enemy fire, one after another. You have a shot of people listening and working together to break a cancer comp in competitive, but in quickplay, people have no idea what to do. And the Mercy buff and DM nerf means it's so much harder to break. If you kill them, they rez. If you kill 2 of them, Mercy Rezes then ults and rezes again while healing the entire team. If you kill some of them, they have teleport up and are there again in a second. An communicative team might be able to handle it. Quickplay is now goddamn impossible on attack half the time,

Anne

If you're going to work on mechanics, start doing it the right way first before you get stuck in something less than ideal. The lower the sens the better. Start working your arm now instead of later. It will feel weird and take some getting used to. If you can figure out your DPI settings, then that helps us get you a close sens. I play at 3.8~ sens with 800 DPI and I'm a bit below average. I'd start at like an 8~ or so at a DPI like 800 and figure it out from there. If it's too low at that, go to like a 10.

If your DPI isn't 800, just do some math. if you're at 1600 for example, cut the numbers I posted in half. At 1000, it's close enough to 800 that you can use the same range of sens values. Etc.

You might need a big mousepad.

Like I mentioned earlier, played console shooters for years and switched to PC a bit before OW came out. I might write a thing at some point about learning mechanics, but this is what worked for me in just a quick post.

Blues1990

Jeff was right. He said when Dive went out of balance, I'd be begging for dive to come back. And I am. Because quickplayers have absolutely NO goddamn answer for a cancer comp. Shit, they have no answer for Symmetra on attack. Entire games are spent them literally running into enemy fire, one after another. It's ridiculous.

I still think Season 2/3 was the most well rounded (as far as balance is concerned), as you could go with 2/2/2, Triple Tank, or Dive, and each one was viable without being game breaking.

With regards to what will be revealed at this years BlizzCon, I'm hoping for an overhaul of some sort. Where it identifies the game's current issues in terms of progression and UI, maybe a re-design of the XP system to make quick play more rewarding for non-competitive players.

Also hoping for some more PvE content. An announcement at Blizzcon for a permanent co-op PvE mode to be added which tells the Overwatch lore within the game would be super sweet.

TrueBlue

I've said this before, but I hope we get a Junkenstein "sequel" along with an expanded and refined Revenge.

The Halloween event in general excites me, which is odd since I dislike the day. I hope another map gets the Hollywood treatment as well.

AngryMoth

Thanks blues and Anne. Think I need to sit in the practise range and play vs AI for a few hours with some podcasts to internalise the controls on PC. Right now it's like, shit reload...wait where did I map that again? :p

Top Bottom