• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report Claims iPhone 8 Will Launch in October (and the iPhone SE, 7S, and 7S+)

g11

I can believe they'd launch an iPhone SE and iPhone 8, but why the hell would they do an 7S/7S+ too? And why not an iPhone 8+? Sounds sketchy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was interested in an SE since it's about time to upgrade from my 5, but now I'll wait for the new iteration. Timing in october is perfect for me.

I can believe they'd launch an iPhone SE and iPhone 8, but why the hell would they do an 7S/7S+ too? And why not an iPhone 8+? Sounds sketchy.
There probably won't be an 8 Plus because the 8 is about the size of the 6/6S/7, but with a display larger than the one in the 6/6S/7 Plus. The Plus was created because people wanted a larger screen, not a larger phone. The 8 solves the problem with one model.

They could do a 7S and 7S Plus if the 8 is indeed the most expensive phone they've ever made (they might call it the Pro). The 7S could then have some of the new features of the 8 (like the same SoC, a better camera, and the rumoured extra hardware for AR tracking), but in the familiar '7' design.

The only place SE was lacking is the lack of pressure touch feature or whatever it is called, where you get to put pressure on the screen and access content from notification screen. I think it's called 3D touch. If they can implement 3D touch and a better front camera(at least iphone 7 front facing camera) then we have a winner of a smaller smartphone!

The only place SE was lacking is the lack of pressure touch feature or whatever it is called, where you get to put pressure on the screen and access content from notification screen. I think it's called 3D touch. If they can implement 3D touch and a better front camera(at least iphone 7 front facing camera) then we have a winner of a smaller smartphone!

Yeah, 3D touch is awesome for me.

Not the only place it was lacking, particularly when Apple are close to revealing a near bezel-free phone... The iPhone 5 design (size, shape and materials) remains superb, but the screen-to-body ratio shows its age - and this will only become more apparent once the 8 launches. I'm hoping a new SE increases the display size (within the same/similar shell). That would be a bigger deal than 3D Touch for me.

Enco

The confusing thing will be what happens next year.

The current iPhone 8 will be followed by a new iPhone 8 and 8S?

The naming will have to be different, unless if the current 8 replaces the 7S in the future.

Oxn

Not the only place it was lacking, particularly when Apple are close to revealing a near bezel-free phone... The iPhone 5 design (size, shape and materials) remains superb, but the screen-to-body ratio shows its age - and this will only become more apparent once the 8 launches. I'm hoping a new SE increases the display size (within the same/similar shell). That would be a bigger deal than 3D Touch for me.

I was going down my list of things i want in a new SE last night, and i would be ok if they either

Increase the screen size a touch, and use the same chassis dimension, or

Use the the same screen size, but shrink down the top and bottom bezel, and slim it down a touch as well.

I rather have option 2 though.

KdotIX

Holding onto my 6 - Battery drains in 2 hours. This year's iPhone refresh will be interesting. Seriously considering stepping down to an SE since I now have an iPad Pro 10.5" for my "bigger screen experience". Would totally make the move if: It is 36/64GB base model, has 3D touch, 7 internals, 7 camera, slimmer bezels.

End of the day, I'm realising I simply need a phone which has a good battery life, make calls and messages. I hardly do any of that social media shit on it these days bar Whatsapp, even then thats because all my friends and family use it, even though I would much rather use iMessage.

Oxn

Holding onto my 6 - Battery drains in 2 hours. This year's iPhone refresh will be interesting. Seriously considering stepping down to an SE since I now have an iPad Pro 10.5" for my "bigger screen experience". Would totally make the move if: It is 36/64GB base model, has 3D touch, 7 internals, 7 camera, slimmer bezels.

End of the day, I'm realising I simply need a phone which has a good battery life, make calls and messages. I hardly do any of that social media shit on it these days bar Whatsapp, even then thats because all my friends and family use it, even though I would much rather use iMessage.

This is exactly me.

I have a 6 plus. Battery level is still fine though. But i no longer need or want the phablet experience. I just use my phone for the simple stuff, calls, message, banking, applepay, uber, etccc.

I have a mini 4 and an ipad 12.9 for the web stuff.

ZOONAMI

So the 7s are still going to have huge bezels I presume an no headphone jack? And the 8 will probably start at like $1k. They've stuck with the same damn design then for 3 years then. The 7+ is fucking gigantic to the point of being unusable. G6 and S8 are much better designs.

And sorry, $1k is just too much for a phone when Samsung and LG have been doing what Apple will be doing for half a year at half the price.

No thanks apple.

my phone got bricked after trying out the ios 11 beta test update. Apple store folks gave me a spare iphone 6 phone for a week. I would keep putting pressure on the screen only to then realize aah this ain't iphone 7 :)

Yeah, iPhone 7 has an awesome 3D touch. I thought it was a gimmick, but it really makes interface more intuitive the more you use it.

Anustart

I work for tmobile and the company has made some changes to indicate september still.

Nothing guaranteed, but we're gearing up for something then.

With the iPhone 8 coming, I am not really sure there will be much of a market for an iPhone 7S+ (unless the 8 is a huge jump in price).

Not saying I disagree, but there supposedly is. Rumors say it starts at $1100.

This has been the rumor for a long time.

They're not gonna release an 8+ because the 8 unifies the prime and Plus lines by combining a form factor close to the size of a prime and a screen close to the size of a Plus.

iPhone-8-Size-Comparison-iDrop-News-8-800x571.jpg

The 8 replaces the Plus this year as the premium line without appealing only to people who could stand a phone that big.

That being said, I will say I'm not convinced there will be a 7S+ this year. I think they may just release a 7S and an 8 (or whatever it's called) but I have nothing to back that up other than a hunch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd question what is so pro about a screen similar to an S8 and a fancy fingerprint reader, but then I also questioned the original iPad Pro not justifying it and they got away with increasing the price on that.

But what happens then? Do they start hobbling the 7S standard phones like they have with the new 'affordable' iPad which is a step back from the iPad Air? I suppose it could at least give the opportunity for a price cut for that more mainstream option

DavidDesu

Hope the SE rumours are true. Updated camera and touch sensor and all the innards to run ARKIT and I'd be happy. Ideally I hope they jam a bigger screen on to the thing. It's a bit archaic looking now with fairly large bezels. This updated SE is absolutely the phone I want when my contract (S7) ends next spring.

I don't mind if they make it a mini 7 lookalike, but the traditional iPhone 5 chassis is nice too.. just want less bezel and get the biggest screen they can on to this size and it'd be perfect.

ss1

Neo Member
My body is ready but my wallet isn't. Definitely looking to upgrade from an iPhone 6 this year.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
rumbles of it being iPhone Pro, X, or just iPhone

I think Anniversary Edition, like they have done with the Macs in the past. Especially if numbers are going to be (relatively) low, and the price high.

Then just iPhone with the new design across the range next year.

I'm a little curious about what will be new in the 7s models.

I know the "s" releases usually are incrimental upgrades, but I'm curious just what will be getting improved. I don't really care about more power since most phones recently are pretty solid to me (iPhones especially). If they boosted energy efficiency and got a big boost in battery life I'd be really happy.

I was kind looking into getting an SE for a little while, but I think that might be a little too small coming from my S7 Edge. I had a iPhone 5 years ago but returned it because I was having problems with it (felt like I couldn't tap the stuff on the very edges of the screen like keyboard keys on the edge or stuff in video games on the edges).

But with how cheap the SE is I think I'd be willing to give it another try, especially if it gets 3D touch or other improvements (maybe a slight resolution increase, or an even better battery life?).

Vuze

8 and 7s at same time? Lol wut
Of course it won't be called 8, it's just what gets them clicks. Supply chain rumors regarding next years line up talk about iPhone "9", go figure. The clusterfuck on rumor sites etc will be amazing next year for the actual iPhone 8 since everything will be mixed up with the current iPhone Pro/Edition/X rumors haha.

Can't wait, under two months to go until the supposed reveal. I doubt they'll reveal a new SE btw, even less so one with reduced bezels (unless they do iPad Pro 10,5" style). Perhaps next spring. Also say goodbye to the headphone jack already if you want iPhone 7-like 3D touch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SE size with less bezels is insta buy for me. I was going to buy an SE but will wait now.

I saw somewhere that a edge to edge SE could be 5 inch. Bruuhhh

Different aspect ratio though - taller rather than bigger overall. It’s something I’m wondering about for the 8. I had a 6s+ and really liked the larger screen but not the larger phone. Now have a 6s but the screen is much smaller. If it was mostly just taller, would it feel bigger or would all text still be small etc?

If there is an SE in the works I’d expect them to wait and do that next spring. Wring out all the high margin customers first and then refresh the more affordable phone

Different aspect ratio though - taller rather than bigger overall. It’s something I’m wondering about for the 8. I had a 6s+ and really liked the larger screen but not the larger phone. Now have a 6s but the screen is much smaller. If it was mostly just taller, would it feel bigger or would all text still be small etc?

If there is an SE in the works I’d expect them to wait and do that next spring. Wring out all the high margin customers first and then refresh the more affordable phone

I found this really cool concept of an iPhone SE (almost) without bezels and same size.

http://ioshacker.com/iphone/concept-imagines-iphone-se-new-slim-bezel-design

giphy.gif

Pretty much the perfect phone.

killroy87

Went to a google pixel last year and love it, but I miss small phones something fierce. An updated SE might just tempt me back, especially if it has a headphone jack.

Cheebo

Banned
Is the ram rumor still 3gb? How they get away with that in 2017?
3 GB ram and yet much snappier with multi tasking and juggling multiple apps than Android phones with 4-6 GB.

That is more than enough for how optimized iOS is compared to Android. It was 2 GB in iPhones till last year.

ArmGunar

3 GB ram and yet much snappier with multi tasking and juggling multiple apps than Android phones with 4-6 GB.

That is more than enough for how optimized iOS is compared to Android. It was 2 GB in iPhones till last year.

2Go RAM in my iPhone 6s, god it's smooth

DOWN

Banned
Is the ram rumor still 3gb? How they get away with that in 2017?
Come on now. iPhone blows the competition away in benchmarks every time the newest iPhone launches. Apple smartly puts money into better optimization instead of wasting money on throwing hardware at their problems. iPhone 7 was the most powerful phone on the market at launch despite people complaining about stats being behind Android phones.

Top Bottom