• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Took me 109 tries, but I finally got gud ;_;

Umhm9RF.jpg

Edit: I've got three real URs and 4 promo URs total. I value my promo ones more though :p

m0t0k1

How many mobile games have made it to OT2?

The idols are winning, and all is right with the world.

Puzzle and dragons is almost starting with its third OT. Also if you count heartstone which soon is going to be full mobile then those 2 made an OT2 but not a lot :D We also have a vita game now.

Maybe I'll make it to the top 10 this time without actually playing the game the topic is for >_>

It's possible Mike has been posting a lot in our thread and he does not play the game.

Yay we made it to OT2!!!

Onto the next OT. If we make it to 3 we are going to use the other name.

Hugstable

Banned
Man I hate everytime I fail Soldier Game 25LP. I tried taking the training wheels off and switched to my Cool team to try and get a good score (Maybe hit A rank and get the Loveca for it) but everytime I do, I go from playing decently to playing horrible and with no healers I lose. Lost 50lp this morning because of it and I give up, I'm just gonna use my healer team for now on, I don't care about getting the Loveca for this one song.

JoeFu

Banned
Everything about this Umi event sucks

wrong song, her stupid sword, etc

I don't like the song either. It's kinda boring and too slow for my tastes. But I do like mahou shoujo Umi. Too bad I won't be able to idolize her :(

Man I hate everytime I fail Soldier Game 25LP. I tried taking the training wheels off and switched to my Cool team to try and get a good score (Maybe hit A rank and get the Loveca for it) but everytime I do, I go from playing decently to playing horrible and with no healers I lose. Lost 50lp this morning because of it and I give up, I'm just gonna use my healer team for now on, I don't care about getting the Loveca for this one song.

C'mon huggy! Git gud! When are we gonna Curtain Call vs again? You need to be able to do ultimate songs!

Hugstable

Banned
I don't like the song either. It's kinda boring and too slow for my tastes. But I do like mahou shoujo Umi. Too bad I won't be able to idolize her :(

C'mon huggy! Git gud! When are we gonna Curtain Call vs again? You need to be able to do ultimate songs!

hehe I'm finally getting to Ultimate songs in my Quest Medleys and I've completed 2 songs on Ulti so far with an A, so I'm getting there!

Danj

Subscribed! And now I have a week off work, maybe I'll get time to play it for more than a couple of minutes a day.

m0t0k1

I just noticed that the option to select teams for a song via the letters is gone. Is it my imagination? I really liked that function. More easy to swap between a healing team or pure/smile etc. Especially since we can have more then 5 teams.

Enron

Banned
I lost my account, had to reinstall the game and i am working through a painful recovery with kLab going on several weeks now. Seriously, never uninstall this game.

Made a 2nd one in the meantime just so I could play, and what do you know on my 4th honor student draw on an account i don't give a shit about

15295608591_328a1e0a4d_c.jpg

goddamnit

JoeFu

Banned
I lost my account, had to reinstall the game and i am working through a painful recovery with kLab going on several weeks now. Seriously, never uninstall this game.

Made a 2nd one in the meantime just so I could play, and what do you know on my 4th honor student draw on an account i don't give a shit about

15295608591_328a1e0a4d_c.jpg

goddamnit

You can always sell that account!

StayDead

So I just started by Vita bibi game. The graphics are kinda weird but I'm getting used to them and even the rythmn system seems a bit weird but it seems to be enjoyable. It may not be the best rythmn game I've ever played, but it's certainly not the worst.

elhaym

About SIP:
Love Live: School Idol Paradise is a rhythm game for the PlayStation Vita, developed by Dingo, Inc., also the developer of the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PlayStation Portable games. The release was split into 3 separate editions, one for each of the µ’s sub-units; BiBi, Lily White, and Printemps. Each of these editions has songs not available in the others. This is also my first gripe with the game. Compared to the free-to-play iOS/Android game School Idol Festival, LLSIP has an extremely limited selection of songs and several of those are remixes of other in-game songs.

Tracklist:
All 3 editions:
  • Shangri-La Shower (New song)
  • 僕らは今のなかで (Bokura wa Ima no Naka de)
  • START:DASH!!
  • Wonderful Rush
  • No brand girls
  • Music S.T.A.R.T!!
  • START:DASH!! (Bitter-Sweet Mix)
  • No brand girls (GRP-Explosion Mix)
  • 僕らは今のなかで (LittleMore-Rock Mix)
  • Music S.T.A.R.T!! (SKA-Feel Mix)
  • Wonderful Rush (Hevey-Rush Mix)

Vol.1 (Printemps – Honoka Kousaka, Kotori Minami, Hanayo Koizumi)
  • 愛は太陽じゃない? (Ai wa Taiyou janai?)
  • スピカテリブル (Spicaterrible)
  • 孤独なHeaven (Kodoku na Heaven)
  • Pure girls project
  • Pure girls project (Super-Mondo Mix)

Vol.2 (BiBi – Eli Ayase, Maki Nishikino, Nico Yazawa)
  • ありふれた悲しみの果て (Arifureta Kanashimi no Hate)
  • まほうつかいはじめました! (Mahoutsukai Hajimemashita!)
  • Daring!!
  • Cutie Panther
  • Cutie Panther (Metal-Panther Mix)

Vol.3 (lily white – Umi Sonoda, Nozomi Toujou, Rin Hoshizora)
  • 私たちは未来の花 (Watashitachi wa Mirai no Hana)
  • 恋のシグナルRin rin rin! (Koi no Signal Rin rin rin!)
  • 純愛レンズ (Jun’ai Lens)
  • 微熱からMystery (Binetsu kara Mystery)
  • 微熱からMystery (TeKe-TeKe ELEK! Mix)

I picked up the BiBi edition of the game, which features Eli Ayase, Maki Nishikino and Nico Yazawa. I don’t speak/read Japanese well, so my assessment is primarily of the gameplay and systems.

Unfortunately, a lot of the base game is locked behind the story. Certain songs/stages and features are only available after a certain point. “Free Live” (free play) was only available to me after playing for an hour or so.

Visuals:
I was sort of disappointed in the visuals for LLSIP. The character designs all seem at least accurate compared to other media, but the modelling and motions are iffy and the textures seem bland and inconsistent. This shot of the µ’s club room discouraged me right off the bat.

During the lives, character animation seems fairly nice, and any texture issues are for the most part hidden by the movement. I did have issues here too though, because of the way the game was split into 3 parts. Part of the exclusive content is costumes appropriate to each of the sub-units (See the BiBi introduction image earlier), however those costumes are still available for lives which include all 9 members leading to 3 in one costume 6 in another, which just makes it seem odd. As far as I can tell, all the other costumes change the visuals for all 9 idols.

Gameplay:
(Free play song/costume/stage selection)

The gameplay in LLSIP feels like an amalgamation of systems found in both the Project DIVA f and Idolm@ster Shiny Festa series. Note indicators during songs (lives) are in the form of pink hearts, blue stars, or green/multicolored music notes. These indicators radiate out from the middle of a circle, and hit a timing line to the beat of the song. Hitting notes increases both the player score and the tension meter. In order to successfully “hit” the note, the player needs to respond a certain way:
  • Pink hearts: Press any of the right buttons on the PS Vita face OR tap the right side of the touchscreen
  • Blue stars: Press any of the D-pad buttons on the PS Vita face OR tap the left side of the touchscreen.
  • Green/multicolored notes: Press both one of the right side buttons AND one of the D-pad directions at the same time OR tap both sides of the touchscreen at the same time.

As the player successfully hits notes during the song, the bottom gauges fill up. The left gauge is for individual idol cut-ins (features) while the right is for stage gimmicks. While the gimmicks solely add to the score for the stage, the idol cut-ins also allow you to replenish your tension meter. These cut-ins rely on the touchscreen to trace a pattern over a number of stars, determined by the gauge level when activated.

At the end of the live, the game presents a score screen tallying up the base score (rhythm), gimmick bonuses and feature successes.

One of my biggest issues with the game is that the input timing for hitting notes feels very inconsistent. I’ve been playing rhythm games for a long time, including forgiving games like Rock Band to pretty punishing games like Beatmania IIDX, and LLSIP doesn’t feel like those. It just feels mushy and hard to time. Input is a bit better solely using the touchscreen to play, but I personally still feel like that’s inconvenient for a handheld device. The iOS/Android game, School Idol Festival is MUCH tighter and “fun” to play, due to accurate and consistent timing.

My opinion:
All-in-all, I’m disappointed in LLSIP and wish that I had waited for a price drop instead of picking up a limited edition import Vita physical copy. As a fan of the music and multimedia involving Love Live I was excited to see games coming to different platforms, but at this point I’ll stick to LLSIF on my iPad or phone for pure enjoyment.

JoeFu

Banned
Awesome write up! Too bad the game isn't too hot... Sad to hear a F2P game has the rhythm part/inputs down better.

Marche90

This might or might not be hyperbole... but yikes, I think that even the Project Diva PSP games looked better :x

Releasing a (might be borderline) kusoge, getting dumped from the P4 Dancing All Night project... What the hell happened to Dingo?

Mokoi

Banned
already OT2
and yet i still haven't got any single UR card (T-T)
Just believe, and it will happen to you soon. Well maybe it will happen soon if you pray to the KLab gods.
One of my biggest issues with the game is that the input timing for hitting notes feels very inconsistent. I’ve been playing rhythm games for a long time, including forgiving games like Rock Band to pretty punishing games like Beatmania IIDX, and LLSIP doesn’t feel like those. It just feels mushy and hard to time. Input is a bit better solely using the touchscreen to play, but I personally still feel like that’s inconvenient for a handheld device. The iOS/Android game, School Idol Festival is MUCH tighter and “fun” to play, due to accurate and consistent timing.

My opinion:
All-in-all, I’m disappointed in LLSIP and wish that I had waited for a price drop instead of picking up a limited edition import Vita physical copy. As a fan of the music and multimedia involving Love Live I was excited to see games coming to different platforms, but at this point I’ll stick to LLSIF on my iPad or phone for pure enjoyment.

Good write up, and from watching the videos the input just seems like it would feel off. I got that feeling that hitting the notes would also feel mushy. It's quite funny how the mobile game seems to be more fun to play overall. It would of been nice if they actually put out something pretty damm good; however, it just seems like a cheap clunky game. I'm hoping IA/VT Colorful doesn't end up to be a disappointment, and they deliver something good.

Oh yeah regarding the costumes can you chose which ones you wear or are you stuck to having the BiBi ones while you play? If so that would drive me up the wall having the idoru matching, yet there are three who are out of place. I couldn't quite make out what you were saying about them because my reading comprehension skills tend to be shit.

elhaym

Just believe, and it will happen to you soon. Well maybe it will happen soon if you pray to the KLab gods.

Good write up, and from watching the videos the input just seems like it would feel off. I got that feeling that hitting the notes would also feel mushy. It's quite funny how the mobile game seems to be more fun to play overall. It would of been nice if they actually put out something pretty damm good; however, it just seems like a cheap clunky game. I'm hoping IA/VT Colorful doesn't end up to be a disappointment, and they deliver something good.

Oh yeah regarding the costumes can you chose which ones you wear or are you stuck to having the BiBi ones while you play? If so that would drive me up the wall having the idoru matching, yet there are three who are out of place. I couldn't quite make out what you were saying about them because my reading comprehension skills tend to be shit.

If you pick the BiBi (or in the other editions, theirs) costumes, the ONLY costumes that change are the 3 associated idols. Everyone else gets... a default. AFAICT that weird cheerleader-ish thing in the screenshot I had. You can definitely pick other costumes that change the entire (all 9 idols) group.

edit: Tried to clarify in-post.

redhairedking

I think I'll wait for the inevitable yellow label release before buying any of the vita games. They just look so bad and so not worth ~$60.

m0t0k1

Great write up elhaym. Do you mind me adding the pictures to the OP? Also gonna link your impressions in the vita part.

Himemiya

The No Brand Girls remix is one of the worst things I've ever heard btw.
Well, that was different.

this has IAP right? how IAP heavy is this game?
You can play every song without spending any real money, and you can even get good SuperRare cards just by participating in events. You get a lot of love gems for free especially if you're a new player, and whether you get good cards from scouting is up to RNG. Pray that you are blessed!

Qurex

Neo Member
Oh nice, OT2 is up, it looks good.
Onwards to OT3 :p

Great review, I might have understood you but do you have to do the touchscreen stuff at the same time as the button stuff?

The main thing that stands out to me in the screenshots is the faces. They look odd. For example Nico's face in the last one.

The only thing you can buy are the Loveca Stones/Love Gems.
You use these mainly for 3 things.
  1. Premium card draw - a single draw costs 5 gems, a 11 draw costs 50 gems. Premium draw gives you rarer cards. These have better skills and stats, but you can also get rarer Cards from events. The rarer cards help you improve score on songs.
  2. Expand your idol slots by 3, this is for if you have loads of cards like Mokoi's Army of Nuns
  3. Refilling your stamina bar, basically so you can play more songs. Most people do this if they want to rank in top tiers during events.
It's completley optional to buy them, the game does give them to you as rewards. If you play a bit every day and take part in events it is possible to get about 15-20 a month just by playing.
They're also given out during special occasions such as character's birthdays or when the player count has reached a significant number. For example at the moment we're in the middle of a free giveaway of 1 Loveca/day for 7 days since the playerbase has reached 500,000.

Basically they don't really affect the gameplay. All songs can be played without them, you just need to wait for your for stamina bar to refill.
It's only if you want to collect the cards or try ranking super high in events.

Josephl64

About SIP:
Love Live: School Idol Paradise is a rhythm game for the PlayStation Vita, developed by Dingo, Inc., also the developer of the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA PlayStation Portable games. The release was split into 3 separate editions, one for each of the µ’s sub-units; BiBi, Lily White, and Printemps. Each of these editions has songs not available in the others. This is also my first gripe with the game. Compared to the free-to-play iOS/Android game School Idol Festival, LLSIP has an extremely limited selection of songs and several of those are remixes of other in-game songs.

Tracklist:
All 3 editions:
  • Shangri-La Shower (New song)
  • 僕らは今のなかで (Bokura wa Ima no Naka de)
  • START:DASH!!
  • Wonderful Rush
  • No brand girls
  • Music S.T.A.R.T!!
  • START:DASH!! (Bitter-Sweet Mix)
  • No brand girls (GRP-Explosion Mix)
  • 僕らは今のなかで (LittleMore-Rock Mix)
  • Music S.T.A.R.T!! (SKA-Feel Mix)
  • Wonderful Rush (Hevey-Rush Mix)

Vol.1 (Printemps – Honoka Kousaka, Kotori Minami, Hanayo Koizumi)
  • 愛は太陽じゃない? (Ai wa Taiyou janai?)
  • スピカテリブル (Spicaterrible)
  • 孤独なHeaven (Kodoku na Heaven)
  • Pure girls project
  • Pure girls project (Super-Mondo Mix)

Vol.2 (BiBi – Eli Ayase, Maki Nishikino, Nico Yazawa)
  • ありふれた悲しみの果て (Arifureta Kanashimi no Hate)
  • まほうつかいはじめました! (Mahoutsukai Hajimemashita!)
  • Daring!!
  • Cutie Panther
  • Cutie Panther (Metal-Panther Mix)

Vol.3 (lily white – Umi Sonoda, Nozomi Toujou, Rin Hoshizora)
  • 私たちは未来の花 (Watashitachi wa Mirai no Hana)
  • 恋のシグナルRin rin rin! (Koi no Signal Rin rin rin!)
  • 純愛レンズ (Jun’ai Lens)
  • 微熱からMystery (Binetsu kara Mystery)
  • 微熱からMystery (TeKe-TeKe ELEK! Mix)

I picked up the BiBi edition of the game, which features Eli Ayase, Maki Nishikino and Nico Yazawa. I don’t speak/read Japanese well, so my assessment is primarily of the gameplay and systems.

Unfortunately, a lot of the base game is locked behind the story. Certain songs/stages and features are only available after a certain point. “Free Live” (free play) was only available to me after playing for an hour or so.

Visuals:
I was sort of disappointed in the visuals for LLSIP. The character designs all seem at least accurate compared to other media, but the modelling and motions are iffy and the textures seem bland and inconsistent. This shot of the µ’s club room discouraged me right off the bat.

During the lives, character animation seems fairly nice, and any texture issues are for the most part hidden by the movement. I did have issues here too though, because of the way the game was split into 3 parts. Part of the exclusive content is costumes appropriate to each of the sub-units (See the BiBi introduction image earlier), however those costumes are still available for lives which include all 9 members leading to 3 in one costume 6 in another, which just makes it seem odd. As far as I can tell, all the other costumes change the visuals for all 9 idols.

Gameplay:

(Free play song/costume/stage selection)

The gameplay in LLSIP feels like an amalgamation of systems found in both the Project DIVA f and Idolm@ster Shiny Festa series. Note indicators during songs (lives) are in the form of pink hearts, blue stars, or green/multicolored music notes. These indicators radiate out from the middle of a circle, and hit a timing line to the beat of the song. Hitting notes increases both the player score and the tension meter. In order to successfully “hit” the note, the player needs to respond a certain way:
  • Pink hearts: Press any of the right buttons on the PS Vita face OR tap the right side of the touchscreen
  • Blue stars: Press any of the D-pad buttons on the PS Vita face OR tap the left side of the touchscreen.
  • Green/multicolored notes: Press both one of the right side buttons AND one of the D-pad directions at the same time OR tap both sides of the touchscreen at the same time.

As the player successfully hits notes during the song, the bottom gauges fill up. The left gauge is for individual idol cut-ins (features) while the right is for stage gimmicks. While the gimmicks solely add to the score for the stage, the idol cut-ins also allow you to replenish your tension meter. These cut-ins rely on the touchscreen to trace a pattern over a number of stars, determined by the gauge level when activated.

At the end of the live, the game presents a score screen tallying up the base score (rhythm), gimmick bonuses and feature successes.

My opinion:

I'd agree with you for the most part, but the timing is maybe something I disagree on? Maybe it's because when I play rhythm games I do it based on what I hear and not what I actually see which makes it more accurate. I do find the rhythm game sections more fun to play, and to me it actually does make sense for certain songs to be unlocked through story sequences.

The big problems you listed seem to be very true though, the game just doesn't look that good at all, and even while the movement masks some of it, to me it's still pretty bad even there. Of course the other annoying thing was them not sharing all of the costumes as you already showed.

Overall I'd say it's pretty mediocre, but I did get it after a discount so it wasn't that bad for me...although I did get all 3 vers.

Mokoi

Banned

Well that depends on how much you want to play or how badly you want to get UR or SR cards. If you don't want to wait for your LP to charge than you can spend some loveca you've gotten from the daily login/new player bonus or purchase some loveca to use. Although I highly advise against doing that because you should just wait till you save up to 50 loveca and do a 11 scout. If you want to place high in the events than you're going to have to burn some loveca. It all depends on how badly you want a card or want to play without waiting for LP to recharge, so you may end up having to purchase loveca to use if so. Although just keep playing normally, and you'll rank up earning more LP to play with before you know it.

This is so bad. It's like a wannabe hardstyle or something.

m0t0k1

From the last OT:
This game is free
First of all to make it more clear this game is free. The only thing you can buy are lovecastones (the hearts) you need these stones to do a draw and get rare cards or refelling your stamina bar. These stones are also given for free during daily give aways and during competitions. But you don't need them. I already have 2 super rare's and about 20 rare's by just playing the game(japanese version for but i will switch to english now).

That is my out to date experience. It can be expensive as you like. I have been playing this game for over 8 months now and still not have payed a single Euro. You can unlock all the songs with levelling up and unlock difficulties by playing the songs and completing them. But how well you perform is based on the cards you have. These cards can be get from buying them with friend points an ingame value or with loveca stones. These stones are giving to you by participating in events. Or completing songs on the EXP level or by a daily gift. You use these stones to buy better cards. These stones can also be bought with real money and then you can spent as much as you want. There are plenty of videos on YT with people spending over 100dreds of dollars to get the card they want and still not get it. That is why we have despair in the title :p. You can also better cards by joining the event and getting them as a reward. Cards are classed in 4 different categories.

N=normal and you get them by playing songs or using friend points
R= Rare you get them by using friend points and is a rare drop about 10% chance of that happening. Playing songs or on a daily free draw.
SR= Super Rare You can only get these by joining events and winning them or have a chance at getting one during a draw you use with your loveca stones. in the draws they have only like a 20% chance of appearing. But after events there is a period where if you do a big draw you always get a SR or higher. But you need a lot of stones to do that draw
UR= Ultra rare. and as the name says is very rare. You only get these by doing a loveca stone draw and have a 1% chance of appearing. Everybody is hoping to get one of these.

Hope this helps a bit.

elhaym

Great write up elhaym. Do you mind me adding the pictures to the OP? Also gonna link your impressions in the vita part.

Go for it.

Great review, I might have understood you but do you have to do the touchscreen stuff at the same time as the button stuff?

Nope, either or. Well, unless you want to use the "Features", in which case yeah, you have to move from the buttons to the touchscreen.

I'd agree with you for the most part, but the timing is maybe something I disagree on? Maybe it's because when I play rhythm games I do it based on what I hear and not what I actually see which makes it more accurate. I do find the rhythm game sections more fun to play, and to me it actually does make sense for certain songs to be unlocked through story sequences.

The big problems you listed seem to be very true though, the game just doesn't look that good at all, and even while the movement masks some of it, to me it's still pretty bad even there. Of course the other annoying thing was them not sharing all of the costumes as you already showed.

Overall I'd say it's pretty mediocre, but I did get it after a discount so it wasn't that bad for me...although I did get all 3 vers.

It's weird, because I -do- play by ear usually and I'm very very familiar with these songs already, which is why I'm boggling at how weird it feels. Maybe it's just a function of the Vita speakers? I haven't tried with headphones (I have some studio headphones that I usually play LLSIF with, the iPad speaker is crap). I honestly wish I knew why I have problems with this one game. =/

Josephl64

Go for it.

Nope, either or. Well, unless you want to use the "Features", in which case yeah, you have to move from the buttons to the touchscreen.

It's weird, because I -do- play by ear usually and I'm very very familiar with these songs already, which is why I'm boggling at how weird it feels. Maybe it's just a function of the Vita speakers? I haven't tried with headphones (I have some studio headphones that I usually play LLSIF with, the iPad speaker is crap). I honestly wish I knew why I have problems with this one game. =/

In case you're wondering, I actually am using headphones, along with left on the d-pad and circle if that helps.

Mokoi

Banned
Loolll why the scratching part? She looks like a gremlin trying to steal my food! i gifed it for illustration:

lol you did make the jif.
---
I use my ATH-M50s sometimes just becasue, and geez Iike every game if I take a short break I end up playing like hot garbage.

Top Bottom