• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Ashby

As you say, it is totally possible to never run into those NPCs before stumbling onto it. I played for over 50 hours before I found someone with even a passing mention of "the sword that seals the darkness."

Who mentions its exact location?

I wish I remembered where but I talked to more than one NPC at a stable as well as a Village Chief after having beat their respective Divine Beast that specifically mentioned the
Great Hyrule Forest

Koren

Is there quests that can only be started after finishing B
easts
?

There's a couple of quests I heard about here and haven't been able to find
Zora history quest, for example... I wonder if you need to finish the Zora Beast?
and there's at least a
shrine pedestal I don't have a single clue how to activate

I also think I'm missing 8-10 shrine quests, and I've now spent a LOT of time in the game (half of the koroks without help, for example). I wonder if there's quests NPC that only appears once you've done something.

I'm pretty sure at least a couple things depends on B[/spoiler]easts[/spoiler]... For example, the [/spoiler]Monster shop/spoiler] is still selling the three same items, when I know there's more.

There should at least be a warning from very early in the game what the Master Sword requires. I made the mistake of mostly investing in the
Stamina
field because Link's
Stamina
is vital.

Then the Master Sword drops the bomb it wants
13 HEARTS
?!
Well:
- there's an NPC that actually takes you to a place where
you can exchange stamina for hearts and back
, and it's in a story-related place
- even maxing stamina uses only 40 shrines, so you can still get it with barely
50% of the shrines: 24 more shrines and 4 beasts... or you can get it after max stamina and before the first beast after having bested 2/3 of the shrines

The requirement is so low that I can't see why it could be remotely an issue.

Koren

Seriously about to murder someone over this forced stealth no save section in Gerudo.

Every damn time, sneak strike glitches out and makes me do a regular strike, and then I have to start all over. If it gives me the option to sneak strike at all.

Ugh.
If you really can't do this, and can spare some cash...

Go buy half a dozen ancient arrows and do it the cheap way

No stealth required
It should be better than murdering someone ;)

mlclmtckr

Banned
18056359_1473076066099391_1388355799632978171_o.jpg

What's that weapon?

Finding all the memories earlier and glided from one of the towers over some lava. Link combusted midair because the air was air was too thin and hot from the lava underneath him.

I love this game because of these details.

Red

They sell fish in Zora's Domain.

Are they cannibals?
Are humans cannibals for eating terrestrial animals? I don't follow you.
I wish I remembered where but I talked to more than one NPC at a stable as well as a Village Chief after having beat their respective Divine Beast that specifically mentioned the
Great Hyrule Forest
Even then, you need to find the forest, and then figure your way through.

did you find the thing in Hateno Village that can help you out with that?

the statue that swaps hearts for stamina?

try talking to some of the little kids there if you don't know where it is

Which little kids?

I'm only seeing Dorian's kids and they ain't saying shit

Kaban

Ok, this lone cedar tree quest in Hebra is driving me crazy. I just need to know two things, yes or no:

Does it have to do with the time of day?

and

Is this "white birdie" actually a bird?

I'm looking northwest and I'm completely stumped

mlclmtckr

Banned
Ok, this lone cedar tree quest in Hebra is driving me crazy. I just need to know two things, yes or no:

and

No and no.

Extra hint:
look lower.

TheBear

I've decided to park this at 70 hours in with 3 temples completed to play Persona 5 and wait for the expansion(s). Any more news on them?

Speely

Banned

and

As above
(no and no,)
and also:

It's visually metaphorical in multiple ways in regard to the language of the clues.

Kaban

OK thanks guys. I think I saw a clue earlier that had something to do with it. I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

sazzy

and

just take off on your paraglider in the direction you're looking at. you'll see it.

daylight is best.

Red

Found my first motion shrine. Golf. It was as bad as everyone said it would be. I finished it and got the chest and still don't understand how what I was doing with the joycons correlated to what the club was doing.

Three other things:
1. Beat a purple Lynel. Dropped a savage Lynel spear. Was not as good as I expected. 20 attack? Broke it to knock a b oulder down a hill. Which brings me to...
2. Fuuuuck this boulder korok challenge in Akkala. Down a hill, up a hill, over a lip, the goal a huge distance away from where the boulders spawn. And a Lynel in the middle of it? Who came up with this cruel joke?
3. Why does the Skull Lake shrine act like a shrine quest reward?

jotun?

2. Fuuuuck this boulder korok challenge in Akkala. Down a hill, up a hill, over a lip, the goal a huge distance away from where the boulders spawn. And a Lynel in the middle of it? Who came up with this cruel joke?
If you have a heavy enough weapon, you can use magnesis with it to push the boulder around. I used the Boulder Breaker, not sure if it actually works with anything else

p cool that Link rotates his sword in the direction the player rotates the control stick when performing the manual spin attack.
Speaking of which, why am I having such a hard time doing that now? I used to be able to do it pretty consistently, but now it only happens on like 1 out of 8 tries. What could I be doing wrong?

Kandinsky

Man, I know E3 is going to be awesome for the big 3 this year, so much stuff will get announced and here I am, just wanting to know about this games DLC above anything else, it's crazy!

/randomthought

Does it just rain all the time in certain areas that aren't Zora's Domain pre-DB? The rain might be the absolute worst shit about this game.

If you have a heavy enough weapon, you can use magnesis with it to push the boulder around. I used the Boulder Breaker, not sure if it actually works with anything else

Speaking of which, why am I having such a hard time doing that now? I used to be able to do it pretty consistently, but now it only happens on like 1 out of 8 tries. What could I be doing wrong?

I just try and ensure that I go slightly passed 360 degrees (like 370-80) and do it smoothly and quickly. Definitely doesn't seem to work with a strict 360.

Red

Am I right in thinking the blue torches act as checkpoints, and aren't all required to activate whatever reward is available with the blue flame?

Speely

Banned
Man, I know E3 is going to be awesome for the big 3 this year, so much stuff will get announced and here I am, just wanting to know about this games DLC above anything else, it's crazy!

/randomthought

Same. I think the holiday DLC is going to be bananas.

watershed

Banned
I just started a new game in BOTW and this time I'm playing in tv mode with pro hud mode instead of handheld mode and full hud. It's a very different experience already.

Kaban

Haha so I thought I had completed the cedar tree quest, but it turns out it was a different shrine, even though it seemed similar to the little girl's story.
There are leviathan remains hidden in the mountains, with a shrine located in its skeleton (it's belly) And it's northwest of the cedar tree.
The search continues!

Edit: aaaaaand I found it

Red

And with lanayru tower, my map is complete.

In lanayru, there is a large mountain with a water-filled caldera on top. It is unnamed, and just to the south of the Zora village. The sides are difficult to climb in the rain. The only thing I can find up here is a stone, with a hot-footed frog underneath. Is that it? I feel like I am missing something. This has been the most difficult area for me to reach in all my time playing, it is a unique map structure, and seems like an obvious place for a korok puzzle or shrine. But as far as I can tell there is nothing up here. Should I give up searching or stick around for a while longer?

Forkball

And with lanayru tower, my map is complete.

In lanayru, there is a large mountain with a water-filled caldera on top. It is unnamed, and just to the south of the Zora village. The sides are difficult to climb in the rain. The only thing I can find up here is a stone, with a hot-footed frog underneath. Is that it? I feel like I am missing something. This has been the most difficult area for me to reach in all my time playing, it is a unique map structure, and seems like an obvious place for a korok puzzle or shrine. But as far as I can tell there is nothing up here. Should I give up searching or stick around for a while longer?
If that's where I think it is, it only has importance after you beat the Zora dungeon. Same with the interior of Death Mountain and the Goron dungeon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If that's where I think it is, it only has importance after you beat the Zora dungeon. Same with the interior of Death Mountain and the Goron dungeon.

Plus that flat-topped rock in the Gerudo desert and the outcrop at the Rito village.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Wait - are there things to do there or
that's just where they end up afternoon you've completed them
?

jariw

Wait - are there things to do there or
that's just where they end up afternoon you've completed them
?

I have found use for one of these spots in a side quest. There's probably more
since they act as fast travel points
?

BTW, I said goodbye to both Kass and Hudson yesterday. Really liked those quest chains and how they ended. Both chains are mandatory for anyone playing the game, IMO.

Red

I'll check back later.

Stayed up way too late tonight, trying to find the remaining great fairies. Did stumble onto a couple of unique locations, but didn't find what I was looking for. Pinned a few more curious map shapes to check next time I play.

I somehow made it to the Zora king without initiating the quest to find Zora's domain. So I got the quest and quest completion markers at the same moment. NPCs kept directing me to Sidon on some bridge, but I never saw the bridge, and he was in the throne room when I got there. I think I missed some content. Anything worthwhile?

GRW810

Stumbled across two shrine quests in regions I had previously been to. One was
the crowned beast, in which you must mount a stag and take it to the pedestal.
I thought this was a simple but clever idea.

For the second session in a row I couldn't stop discovering Koroks. Some were in places I hadn't been before but some were in locations I've been to plenty of times. So often I'll travel a well-journeyed road or climb a hill I've climbed previously and only then discover a suspicious rock to pick up or a flower to chase.

I discovered it's quite easy to spot some of the identical fruit tree locations on the map. Just zoom in and look for three brown blobs in a straight line. I found four Koroks this way.

I'm also getting better at 'reading' the map and predicting Korok locations. Tiny, random spots of land in lakes, hills, dense forests. I picked about a dozen locations to check out just by reading the map and I think I found Koroks in nine or ten of those.

Current progress:

All towers unlocked.
Three divine beasts.
9/12 captured memories.
97 shrines.
227 Koroks.

About to embark on the final divine beast quest (Medoh).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
after like 200 hours it's time for me to enter the final lap. The problem is, I don't want to leave this world, it's so beautiful and there's always some litle corner to discover

120/120 shrines
all towers unlocked
all Fairies found
finished the Compendium
all Divine Beasts
7/12 memories
200 odd Korok seeds (looking for them is a pain, sigh)
maximized Ancient Armour

GOTY for me, probably GOTG. For my personal preference, had Nintendo taken a page from TES and added books and lost letters to read in order to delve deep into the lore, it would probably be the best game I've ever played in 32 years of gaming. It's a staggering achievement. I'm not against the way Zelda introduces you to it by showing/assuming and not by reading an ancient text, but with a world so massive and old and populated by so many races I would have preferred a TES like depth when it comes to fleshing out the history of those races and what the hell they did during their over ten thousand years of existence

that's the only single gripe I have with BOTW

I'll check back later.

Stayed up way too late tonight, trying to find the remaining great fairies. Did stumble onto a couple of unique locations, but didn't find what I was looking for. Pinned a few more curious map shapes to check next time I play.

I somehow made it to the Zora king without initiating the quest to find Zora's domain. So I got the quest and quest completion markers at the same moment. NPCs kept directing me to Sidon on some bridge, but I never saw the bridge, and he was in the throne room when I got there. I think I missed some content. Anything worthwhile?
It's all related to the npc that's atop the tower at the base of zoras domain. It's the games gentle nudge to guide you up the mountain to the town to meet the king. Nothing significant. You probably missed a minor quest to
learn the zora history by reading those big stone tablets all over the zone

Koren

There's a
sand race
near Gerudo city that only unlocks after you've beat the titan and which unlocks
another shrine.
Interesting... I knew about the minigame, not the "reward"...

I was trying to find all shrines before doing the titans, it seems I can't do this... I wonder how many shrines are locked behind titans.

You probably missed a minor quest to
Can you tell me whether there's a requirement for this quest to start? Is it a NPC in the town? (if it is, I'm pretty sure there's a prerequisite)

jotun?

Can you tell me whether there's a requirement for this quest to start? Is it a NPC in the town? (if it is, I'm pretty sure there's a prerequisite)
I think it only becomes a quest after finishing the divine beast. There are 3 or 4 of those in the zora place

Stumbled across two shrine quests in regions I had previously been to. One was
the crowned beast, in which you must mount a stag and take it to the pedestal.
I thought this was a simple but clever idea.

For the second session in a row I couldn't stop discovering Koroks. Some were in places I hadn't been before but some were in locations I've been to plenty of times. So often I'll travel a well-journeyed road or climb a hill I've climbed previously and only then discover a suspicious rock to pick up or a flower to chase.

I discovered it's quite easy to spot some of the identical fruit tree locations on the map. Just zoom in and look for three brown blobs in a straight line. I found four Koroks this way.

I'm also getting better at 'reading' the map and predicting Korok locations. Tiny, random spots of land in lakes, hills, dense forests. I picked about a dozen locations to check out just by reading the map and I think I found Koroks in nine or ten of those.

Current progress:

All towers unlocked.
Three divine beasts.
9/12 captured memories.
97 shrines.
227 Koroks.

About to embark on the final divine beast quest (Medoh).

I had the same exact thought about getting better at reading the map and exploring. I want to write a fuckin essay about how good the Korok seeds are as a device to basically teach you how to fully explore the game world in ways you might not otherwise.

Also, can anyone gently nudge me in the direction of the Rubber set chest piece? I seem to have somehow missed and I reeeeally want the full set but I've explored so much and not been able to find it. A vague hint would be appreciated :)

Koren

I really think Korok is a wonderful way to promote exploration, but I can't understand how people are reaching 800+ without help of a list, map or at least a per-area count...

I think it only becomes a quest after finishing the divine beast. There are 3 or 4 of those in the zora place
That's all I wanted to know... Not surprising.

Does one of those is related to the
Dagah Keek Shrine
? Just a yes/no will suffice ;)

Red

It's all related to the npc that's atop the tower at the base of zoras domain. It's the games gentle nudge to guide you up the mountain to the town to meet the king. Nothing significant. You probably missed a minor quest to
Alright, that's not too bad. I saw a few of those tablets on the way. Found the helmet one of them clues you in on, love finding those kinds of puzzles to work out.

I really think Korok is a wonderful way to promote exploration, but I can't understand how people are reaching 800+ without help of a list, map or at least a per-area count...
I'm at 220 without really looking, and have barely touched half the map. I don't think it's too unlikely patient players are finding 800 or more.

jotun?

Also, can anyone gently nudge me in the direction of the Rubber set chest piece? I seem to have somehow missed and I reeeeally want the full set but I've explored so much and not been able to find it. A vague hint would be appreciated :)
type of discovery:
shrine quest
west
side half of the map

Anson225

i just realized after 120 hours i still haven't seen or heard of the
hylian shield
can someone tell me if it is missable just like the
master sword?

Top Bottom