• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Power Rangers (2017) review is here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu

Like making superhero movies before Marvel

Or after.

f4-characters-poster-us.jpg

Another positive review!
It may have some flaws with its acting and writing, but this modern feature film reboot of Power Rangers is sure to be one of the most pleasant box office surprises of the year with its plentiful humour, tonnes of heart and extremely polished action.

Source

Busty

Banned
Reviews (good or bad) aren't going to help or hinder a film like this. People are either going to be into it or they aren't. And, once again, I have to ask exactly who is this film for?

Is it for kids who watch the modern incarnation of the show (it's still on isn't it?) or is it for the thirty somethings who remember it? I'm not sure even Lionsgate knows given that it's marketing has been a little scattershot and even a review mentions the fact the whole endeavour is slightly embarrassed by it's own source material.

This doesn't feel like a hit in the making but it could pull in modest numbers that an outfit like Lionsgate might take given how threadbare their franchises are.

This may end up better than Ghost in the Shell.

Not impossible. But that does feel a little like saying 'the world's tallest dwarf'.

It's hard to believe a darker path than Rocky, and yet, he exists...

This%2BLine%2Bis%2Bthe%2BClosest%2BWeve%2BEver%2BCome%2Bto%2BRacism%2BAgainst%2BWhite%2BPeople.gif

Fucking Rocky...

Rocky becoming addicted to pachinko is one of the few Power Ranger episodes that remained burned in my brain after I ejected all the rest of my Power Ranger trivia. That episode was so what the fuck, even as an eleven year old.

On topic: I'm probably gonna see this. It's totally running on nostalgia fuel for me but it looks campy enough that I'll enjoy it. I doubt anything in it will top "I'm a frog...." though.

cordy

Banned
Yeah...not gonna see this in theaters.

And this is coming from someone who was watching from MMPR-Ninja Storm and who's already currently been watching the Twitch marathon religiously. The movie feels like it's trying to distance itself from what PR actually is and instead trying to do some team Transformers mixed with some weird "hey they're outcasts who have powers yall" property. Nah man, I don't like that.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sounds mixed but not surprising. Though some of the reviews are particularly harsh.

Manu

Currently at 50% RT with 3 fresh and 3 rotten reviews.

For reference, that's the same score as the original movie.

Weetrick

So far, that's way higher than I expected based on the original reveal.

I predict we're going to see more terrible reviews like this one:

It's hard to take even semi-seriously a pricey romp where the villain is named Rita Repulsa.

March 20, 2017 | Rating: 2/5 | Full Review…

Matt Prigge
Metro

That guy was never going to like the movie.

Zen Aku

Define "better reviewed".

A game gets a 7/10 and that's a bad thing. A film gets a 70% RT and it's well received.
I think I'll just go by the numbers to avoid any interpretation. Mass Effect is sitting at a 75 on Metacritic right now. If this movie get a 76 then...

Arkeband

Banned
Recently there was a commercial for this showing a scene where they yell at Billy for making the Megazord dance, hopefully the movie doesn't spend an inordinate amount of time making the black guy the stereotypical comic relief.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Okay while generally I agree with this sentiment, I feel like this:

If I have kids I'd absolutely show them stuff like Batman TAS though.

is a pretty valid statement.

Batman: The Animated Series is a great show that isn't really shown on television anymore and isn't even on any streaming service as far as I can tell. Unless your child goes out of his way looking for it he wouldn't know it exists since it's no longer broadcast on television. When we were kids we were exposed to the show almost naturally because it aired on channels we already watched alongside other shows we already watched. That isn't really the case anymore.

While I don't intend on forcing my children on liking the things I like I'm at least going to try to introduce them to movies, television, videogames, books, and other media that they otherwise wouldn't know existed. It's up to them whether or not they like it.

Weetrick

Recently there was a commercial for this showing a scene where they yell at Billy for making the Megazord dance, hopefully the movie doesn't spend an inordinate amount of time making the black guy the stereotypical comic relief.

Are you sure it wasn't hip hop kido? Maybe they were staying true to canon.

jk I share your concern too

molnizzle

lol the Twitch marathon
marketing campaign
is working!

def worked for me. Wasn't planning on catching this, but the Twitch marathon hit me right in the nostalgia.
until MMPR ended. The rest of it is still crap.

I'll probably go solo to a matinee next week on my off day. Wife has no interest. lol

Weetrick

def worked for me. Wasn't planning on catching this, but the Twitch marathon hit me right in the nostalgia.
until MMPR ended. The rest of it is still crap.

I'll probably go solo to a matinee next week on my off day. Wife has no interest. lol

I stopped watching once they switched to Zeo, but I'm actually enjoying the newer episodes on Twitch. Chat makes a big difference, haha.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Saw it over the weekend with very, very low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. It's basically a 90 minute pilot episode that is much more focused on the kids than them as Rangers until the end, which then becomes a full blown Pacific Rim.

It certainly wasn't the power rangers we've all been watching on Twitch, but it was actually a decent film. Make sure you stay after the credits for a tease of the bad guy for the sequel.

Geist-

I don't think I can use RT as an indicator of quality for this movie because people aren't going to like Power Rangers regardless of if it's good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom