• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MIT scientist invented a sticker that can detect sexual assault

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Video explanation.

Article link.

What if a smart device can detect if somebody else is taking off your clothes?

Massachusetts Institute of Technology researcher Manisha Mohan created such a device, that she has called Intrepid. It’s a smart sticker that’s intended to detect, communicate, and prevent sexual assault. It’s connected to your phone via Bluetooth and it can attach to any piece of clothing. Check out the video above to see it.

To use the device, the wearer needs to download an accompanying app on their phone, and enter five contacts who will be called or sent a text in any case of emergency. The app will also record encounters when there’s no timely response from the wearer, which can be used in court, should there be future legal proceedings.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You know some rapist asshole will have a lawyer pushing that they were recorded without their consent.

Mii

Banned
This looks like it would cause a high number of false alarms. It's basically if the bra is touched in a way different from normal. Any form of sexual activity could set this off, and it requires switching off the alarm before it goes off. For the consensual cases, it creates a rather awkward circumstance of needing to turn off the alarm before it creates public embarrassment.

Appreciate the attempt though. I was imagining tearing of clothes when i saw the thread title - perhaps threads within clothing acting as a trigger when torn.

dabig2

That's gonna go poorly.

Excellent idea.

<Neogaf.gif>

This tech sounds like some nice engineering. Memorizing the way you take clothes off and such. I would love to read more about the internals of this design.

Potential for a lot of false positives though, and I can maybe see after the 1st time having that alarm go off when you didn't need it to could lead people to just not bothering to use the app at all ("So I have to seriously do this every time my partner takes my clothes off? Screw that!").

Appreciate the attempt though. I was imagining tearing of clothes when i saw the thread title - perhaps threads within clothing acting as a trigger when torn.

Issue with that is that a large quantity of rape/assault cases don't involve the violent imagery you're thinking of. A lot of them just deal with inebriated or knocked out women where the guys probably won't be ripping or tearing clothing off.

Gnome

I think the idea is clearly that when you need it, you'll be glad you had it. Stopping one rape from happening or going unpunished is obviously worth more than the hassle of dealing with false-positive situations.

Arcia

Banned
Oh boy, I hope this thread isn't just going to be idiots being more concerned about a rapists privacy rights than women making tools to prevent sexual assault...

This seems like a great idea. If women know they are going into a uncertain situation like a big party, this could be useful to set up.

Keri

This looks like it would cause a high number of false alarms. It's basically if the bra is touched in a way different from normal. Any form of sexual activity could set this off, and it requires switching off the alarm before it goes off. For the consensual cases, it creates a rather awkward circumstance of needing to turn off the alarm before it creates public embarrassment.

I don't think a woman would wear this, if she anticipates having consensual sex with someone. So, it would be a small percentage of instances where she'd have to remember to disable it, before having sex she wants, but didn't expect. (And I'm pretty sure in those cases she'll be really aware of the fact she has it on).

It's an interesting idea, but I don't really see it working very well. Simple example, what if your phone is out of Bluetooth range?

Ri'Orius

Seems kind of weird that the app only sends messages/records evidence. I'd think in most cases a car alarm approach would be able to stop the assault from continuing.

Blizzard

Banned
Or the rapist simply takes the phone and clicks "It's all good".
Obviously the phone would have some sort of locking feature or required unlock sequence. That's the easiest thing to safeguard.

Unfortunately, as someone pointed out, many rapes involve someone who's under the influence of alcohol or drugs and can't give consent (e.g. passed out). If the device memorizes the pattern of clothes being removed as is suggested, maybe it would still work.

Also, some rapes involve consent being removed after clothing is already gone, which this obviously wouldn't help with, but it could still help in some situations.

Arcia

Banned
Or the rapist simply takes the phone and clicks "It's all good".

This does seem like a thing that could happen, but at the same time it would still be making a record in the form of sending messages and probably some sort of log. In some cases women who are passed out wouldn't even know something happened, but this would give them not only an alert but an exact time stamp of when the assault occured. This information could definitely help in some situations at least for narrowing down a list of suspects who could have been around, even if it didn't record anything. Still sounds useful and better than not having it.

Ri'Orius

Did you watch the video? It literally does this.

*sigh* No, I read the article. God dammit internet, just because you can put anything in video form doesn't mean you should put everything in video form. The video itself is little more than text and underwear anyway; would it really have been so hard to put that text in the article itself?

Arkage

Banned
I can see this being used in situations where you absolutely don't want to have sex, as a kind of protection.

Otherwise, it's bound to exacerbate the clumsiness that can accompany hooking up with someone.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Since people tend to intoxicate themselves deliberately (and still have sex), leading to an increased liklihood they won't react in time, I see a lot of recordings of consensual sex happening. Also, in the case where it is consensual but the owner of the device just forgets to deactivate the safeguard, I think it is very questionable to record the act.

someday

Banned
This does seem like a thing that could happen, but at the same time it would still be making a record in the form of sending messages and probably some sort of log. In some cases women who are passed out wouldn't even know something happened, but this would give them not only an alert but an exact time stamp of when the assault occured. This information could definitely help in some situations at least for narrowing down a list of suspects who could have been around, even if it didn't record anything. Still sounds useful and better than not having it.
It could also let women know to go to a hospital to get a rape kit before showering and losing valuable evidence. Frankly, anything that helps women (or anyone, really) in these situations sounds like a win to me.

Eusis

Something doesn't seem entirely ethical about this.
And if the recording is totally within your own car? That someone's breaking into to get at you? That seriously screams unethical to you?

How about dashcams? Those at least record everything in front of your car.

Top Bottom