• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Disney Star Has Made His WeHo Neighborhood in California "A Living Hell"

No offense to legitimate influencers working on good content and such but...

I am starting to think I can pinpoint the exact moment when we started slipping into this dark, dark timeline.

And it's the day that Youtube added ads and started monetizing their video content.

It just gave influence and money to too many complete idiots....

giphy.gif

Meadows

Banned
He's 20 and a modern rock star. I know you all don't want to hear this, but the reaction we have now is what people would have been saying about all of your heroes from the 60-80s when they were throwing TVs out of windows.

I'm not saying that he's as talented as those people or anything, just that this is the same type of behaviour and cult following.

Apt101

The popularity of 99% of YouTubers has made me think less of humanity. I don't care how 15 year old edgelord Rage Against the Machine cynical atheist on early discussion forums that makes me sound. The fact that these garbage people with garbage content doing garbage shit is loved by so many people is probably a good reason to nuke us from orbit and start over.

Edit: seriously I watched that entire video. He's rich because of that kind of stuff. It makes me think that maybe all of this - history, enlightenment, the struggles of mankind to this point, the Information Age and the birth of the Internet - none of it was worth it.

Media companies had a good reason for having a barrier between their stars and the rest of the world. When you remove that control, you end up with... this. And it is not a good thing.

Good thing they are calling out Disney. I imagine this dude getting a phonecall or two from there very soon.

He's 20 and a modern rock star. I know you all don't want to hear this, but the reaction we have now is what people would have been saying about all of your heroes from the 60-80s when they were throwing TVs out of windows.

I'm not saying that he's as talented as those people or anything, just that this is the same type of behaviour and cult following.

Ya know, I've been trying to think outside the box and view it from that stand point. When I saw that live song they did in front of all those kids, I just thought about how our parent probably thought things we enjoyed were stupid. It's a new generation after all. The thing is, I believe what these YouTubers are doing to fascinate young minds is actually harmful. They're setting a very poor example of how to act, how to be mature and they're getting kids to mimic them. It's pretty shitty that the internet has giving the dregs of society a soap box to stand on.

Aranath

Makes me sad that Jukka from the Dudesons makes videos with them. I watched one and have never bothered again. Need those clicks, apparently.

My partner has family members(who are teenagers of course) that love this guy. They look up to him and disney actors/youtubers as role models.

My theory behind why so many kids like people like Jake Paul is simple: His rise to fame seems simple. It seems like he only needed to spend a few minutes on a prank or doing something ridiculous with his friends filming it.

Kids see this kind of minimal-effort=Huge reward equation and they watch to see just how far this is going to go. From doing pranks in his moms basement to living in his own apartment with his friends to living in a mansion, they want to see just how far having a little piece of talent can take you. It becomes an addicting thing to watch, not unlike watching someone winging presentation they had zero prep time for. Young people see themselves in people like him, they think that they can get on youtube, do what they would be doing anyway "pranks, jokes, dares, etc" but with a camera there and the hope is that people will see them and keep watching.

I feel like in general, the amount of effort being put into entertainment for younger audiences is low and the bar itself is being lowered each day. What constitutes a funny or entertaining video is often devoid of depth and rather what captivates the audience is the "in your face" presentation of it, not the actual quality of the content to begin with.

Meadows

Banned
Ya know, I've been trying to think outside the box and view it from that stand point. When I saw that live song they did in front of all those kids, I just thought about how our parent probably thought things we enjoyed were stupid. It's a new generation after all. The thing is, I believe what these YouTubers are doing to fascinate young minds is actually harmful. They're setting a very poor example of how to act, how to be mature and they're getting kids to mimic them. It's pretty shitty that the internet has giving the dregs of society a soap box to stand on.

Better than them fucking 14 year old girls and mainlining heroin imo

Famassu

Better than them fucking 14 year old girls and mainlining heroin imo
The macho, sexist shit that I saw in my brief look into them isn't necessarily better, if kids get influenced by that & copy that kind of shit attitude in their own lives. That probably leads to (some of them) fucking 14 year olds...

But you're reinforcing his point. In the 70s 80s and 90s we had musicians, athletes and actors who candidly talked about, and even glamorized alcohol and drug use or were arrested for disorderly conduct/abuse. Teenagers thought that the drugs and alcohol that these stars used were the source of their inspiration and they thought they were glamorous. The older stars at least hid their terrible habits from the public, but we've been seeing a trend for years now. Celebrities have also been recorded saying some mind-numblingy stupid shit, modeled poor spending habits, and just generally have not been good role models in general.

These youtube kids are essentially just doing the kind of things that teenagers have always done, the difference is now its easier for them to record it and put it for other youth to watch. The cringy stunts, pranks, jokes and music videos that used to be restricted to the kid whose parents were wealthy enough to have a video camera to let them use have now been expanded globally as kids now have cellphones with cameras in them and go-pro cameras or digital recorders that are cheaper. The behavior hasn't changed, its just easier for you to see it now.

The fact its easier for kids to watch garbage is definitely a large issue in the age of the Internet.

I decided to look at the Paul's YouTube page, and the click bait hyper sexualized thumbnails are crazy enough.

But you're reinforcing his point. In the 70s 80s and 90s we had musicians, athletes and actors who candidly talked about, and even glamorized alcohol and drug use or were arrested for disorderly conduct/abuse. Teenagers thought that the drugs and alcohol that these stars used were the source of their inspiration and they thought they were glamorous. The older stars at least hid their terrible habits from the public, but we've been seeing a trend for years now. Celebrities have also been recorded saying some mind-numblingy stupid shit, modeled poor spending habits, and just generally have not been good role models in general.

These youtube kids are essentially just doing the kind of things that teenagers have always done, the difference is now its easier for them to record it and put it for other youth to watch. The cringy stunts, pranks, jokes and music videos that used to be restricted to the kid whose parents were wealthy enough to have a video camera to let them use have now been expanded globally as kids now have cellphones with cameras in them and go-pro cameras or digital recorders that are cheaper. The behavior hasn't changed, its just easier for you to see it now.
I think one large difference is that those musicians and movie stars got away with that terrible behavior because of their talent. With Youtube, the terrible behavior is the talent for some of these guys.

I think one large difference is that those musicians and movie stars got away with that terrible behavior because of their talent. With Youtube, the terrible behavior is the talent for some of these guys.

The difference between a talented musician or athlete or actor and a mega famous one isn't the level of talent. It's their relate-ability in my opinion. The famous people with such shitty morals and behaviors stayed famous because people could relate to their candidness and because their art spoke to people. Talent isn't what is making these guys famous, its the fact that they're attractive, confident, similar in age, and they do the same thing that these teenagers already do but have millions of dollars to do it on a larger scale. However, I do think that the lack of talent means that these guys will fade into obscurity, but for now they'll have their moment. Its the same reason why people still talk about Justin Bieber and Ariana grande, but nobody talks about Fred or Daxflame or lonelygirl who were the BIGGEST names in youtube at the time.

patapuf

It's both. There's no lack of talented musiscians. Most don't make it anywhere near to fame.

Teens identifiying with them, and by proxy the music, is part of the appeal.

You guys realize you're the 35 year olds sniffing their noses at MTV, right?
That's a pretty lazy comparison.

Young people like something stupid, news at 11.

We all liked stupid shit, we all grew out of it but to suggest that pointing out that this is stupid shit is somehow redundant takes the fun away from aging.

I'd love to say that Jake and Logan appeal to the lowest common denominators, but I feel they apply to an ever lower level

I mean the stuff they do seems like something you'd do and find funny only after having an all day session drinking with your friends, then wake up the next day regretting it! How these plebs haven't been arrested yet I don't know? or killed someone accidentally

Chao

just watched h3h3's video, "I feel bad for them but the jake paulers are too big" (sic) "dab"

Christ all fucking mighty.
The dabbing part made me think this guy may be actually mentally challenged.

How can anyone in his 20s be such a baby who feels the need to dab while talking to an interviewer. It's like he wants it to be the new nazi salute or something and makes it clear for his army of 'jakepaulers'.

Somebody stop this idiot before he becomes a super villain.

ZarKryn7

The dabbing part made me think this guy may be actually mentally challenged.

How can anyone in his 20s be such a baby who feels the need to dab while talking to an interviewer. It's like he wants it to be the new nazi salute or something and makes it clear for his army of 'jakepaulers'.

Somebody stop this idiot before he becomes a super villain.

Dude... I don't think you never seen rich fuckboys before.

They got big egos. They'll salvage and savor every public attraction they get, especially the worst ones that come of out people. You say that to any fuck boy, they'll just record themselves dissing you back, post it on social media, and will get a following out of it. It sounds so dumb but sadly it happens.

No one can't stop him. It's gonna take him to fuck himself up greatly.

It's hilarious to me how a freshly spawned Disney star is able to make so much damage in a city and YouTube.

kess

Youtube algorithms recommending like-minded content is honestly more concerning than random assholery, nevertheless, I'd be more concerned if one of these guys decides to go political.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ummm..am I missing something here? Are one of you being sarcastic? Don't know who hehe is.

H3H3 is a youtube group comprised of a husband and wife named Ethan and Hela Klein. They usually cover stories on youtube, specifically either the cringey as fuck "stars" or the state of youtube in general.

H3H3 used to do a pretty good job with their videos and were fairly benign as long as you weren't a douche like the guy's they cover in their videos. In the past year or so they've delved deeper into covering out of control feminism type videos. They haven't done a good job of representing these type of encounters as extreme and uncommon, I think even Hela Klein mentions she's a feminist. Another issue is that they were friends with Pewdiepie and Jontron before those guys became notorious for doing dumb nazi or racist shit. The latter of the two helped them with jobs and a leg into the industry. It's a situation with like how Robert Downey Jr. can't say anything bad about Mel Gibson. And for H3H3, that can be see as hypocritical. I'm not sure exactly what caused them to start focusing on "femanazi" type videos. I can't say they are wrong with some of the videos like the bloody pad or the really dumb manspreading video Buzzfeed did. In the past H3H3 covered youtubers doing racist shit like the guy who posted a video of black guys damaging a car with trump bumper stickers, and then it was found out that he paid those guys to do it.

Dali

I don't think people would care so much if they were trashing hotel rooms and ODing on heroine. They're bringing this shit to the neighborhood though.

Sami+

I think I get a little bit of a gag reflex every time I hear white kids talking about how they're white but can still do ____.

Tubeguys. lol. Their complaints are legitimate and nobody should have to live next to what really does amount to a circus, but this really sounds like the most stereotypical old people getting mad at young person thing ever, especially in the way the complaints are phrased
Yep. And i even agree with them that these guys need to chill, but man it's hard to feel sorry for them.

What the hell, dude. I can't even...
You don't remember him defending Pewdiepie's Nazi jokes as his token Jew friend and standing by Jontron while all that went down without making a statement of being against his white nationalist statements? When usually he'll call out any Youtuber for lesser charged statements? Then went on a slander campaign against specific WSJ writers while H3H3 was already in a lawsuit with Matt Hoss? That puts Ethan Klein as a racist sympathiser for me, along with his anti-SJW/anti-feminist videos, and it's clear our politics don't see eye to eye. So I don't follow H3H3 anymore, and would like to know what the content of his videos are before giving him money as a view.

Top Bottom