• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida teens who recorded drowning man will not be charged in his death

Dali

They were plenty fucking cognizant to what was happening. Did you not at least READ the story?
Not entirely, no. I went to YouTube and searched Dunn which automatically suggested "Dunn drowning" and watched the video. They were taunting the dude and calling him a crackhead or something and saying a gator was going to eat him, etc. I'm not going to say more than I've already said in their defense because I don't think what they did is really defensible so chill out.

Can the family take them to task through a civil trial? This is a disgusting act and if they are not punished for it now you know they will feel emboldened and may do something worse later.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm sure these teens would "regrets" years later if any information pertaining them were released to the net worldwide.

14-16 years are old enough to have basic human decency.

CREMSteve

Watching the full video (its on LiveLeak), you can tell they don't realize what's happening. At first, it's very much a joke to them, kids are so used to being dicks on the internet that it's their natural reaction to the scenario. They even call to him and say for him to get out of the water before he drowns. I have no doubt they think he'll recover and get out. It's disbelief and not knowing how to handle such a situation more than anything, imo.

As they eventually realize that he's actually in real trouble, it starts to settle in and there's some disbelief in their voices at what just happened. By then, it's too late.

At that point, you'd hope they'd call it in, but they're likely scared of what will happen to them for not helping him sooner.

Just a really unfortunate series of events, one that I imagine will haunt them for a very long time.

Victim's sister posted drowning video on Facebook

A woman who identified herself as Dunn's sister, Simone Scott, said she received the video of her brother's drowning on Saturday.

I would be interested to know how she got the video...
Did the kids just send it to her? Did she ask to get it? How does that even happen?

Dali

Watching the full video (its on LiveLeak), you can tell they don't realize what's happening. At first, it's very much a joke to them, kids are so used to being dicks on the internet that it's their natural reaction to the scenario. They even call to him and say for him to get out of the water before he drowns. I have no doubt they think he'll recover and get out. It's disbelief and not knowing how to handle such a situation more than anything, imo.

As they eventually realize that he's actually in real trouble, it starts to settle in and there's some disbelief in their voices at what just happened. By then, it's too late.

At that point, you'd hope they'd call it in, but they're likely scared of what will happen to them for not helping him sooner.

Just a really unfortunate series of events, one that I imagine will haunt them for a very long time.
I know I said I wouldn't say anything more in their defense, but this is exactly the reaction i had. They were taunting the guy and giggling like high little shits, but as soon as he went under the commentary became a lot more somber as the reality of the situation set in. One dude said "yo, he's not coming back up" like he didn't understand the guy was really struggling for his life. Even after the proclamation of "he dead" they still seemed pretty indifferent though.

I don't think I was ever as stupid as these kids though so im having a really hard tome seeing them as anything but worthless sacks of shit.

Why am I not surprised that states like Florida are lacking basic laws promoting helping each other but insists that someone should be allowed to gun down a person at any time when they feel "threatened".

Sorry but no. The culture of just videoing people suffering for shits and giggles is exactly the problem here. I was a little shit but I never would just video a man drowning hoping that he makes it out so I've got a video for the lulz.

It's people missing a vital fucking part of the human brain. When you see someone in danger if your reaction is to whip out your phone and giggles you basically allowed it to happen.

This guy died because they thought they'd have something for Twitter later.

Nephtis

If they don't want to make an example of those little shits then fine. Don't. But do post their full names so the internet can take care of them. Taunt them all day, every day, like they did to the victim.

I know, it's stupid of me to suggest it. But damnit. Fuck those pieces of shit.

I mean, it would be one thing to be walking by and not notice somebody drowning off in the distance. It would be one thing to notice somebody drowning and not feel comfortable jumping in to try and save them- that's a dangerous thing to do for the rescuer and could just as easily jeopardize the rescuer's life.

But to notice somebody clearly drowning and have a phone in hand and not even call 911? That's just showing contempt for human life. But these little shits take it one step further and not only don't bother to try and call 911 but stand idly by and film a man dying AND mock and insult him?

WTF.

This is just sociopathic evil. This is like Nazi concentration camp guard levels of evil. Just watching somebody die while you not only do nothing but insult a dying man... I understand that technically no laws were broken but frankly its evil little shits like this that should be locked up or put in a psych ward cause they are literally a threat to society. If they get off on this what else are they doing?

Even without the law, this could have been argued as homicide. They didn't intend for the man to die, but their action of not doing anything directly led to his death. Even if this isn't settled in criminal this will sure as shit be settled in civil.

Petrae

Sorry but no. The culture of just videoing people suffering for shits and giggles is exactly the problem here. I was a little shit but I never would just video a man drowning hoping that he makes it out so I've got a video for the lulz.

It's people missing a vital fucking part of the human brain. When you see someone in danger if your reaction is to whip out your phone and giggles you basically allowed it to happen.

This guy died because they thought they'd have something for Twitter later.

People are now more interested in filming disaster/tragedy/violence/crime than doing anything about it. "Don't call the cops, man! This shit will get me tons of subs on YouTube!"

It's the downside of giving everyone a video camera to use at all times, combined with the allure of 15 minutes of internet fame. Common decency flushed down the toilet, and it's not ever coming back.

Alebrije

This is disturbing , clockwork orange levels of lack of empathy for human beings

SHOT_002.jpg

Every day my faith in humanity withers away a little more. I hope they feel guilty as shit for this eventually, and it eats away at their consciousness. So incredibly fucked. We really should have a Good Samaritan law here in FL

_Nemo

People are now more interested in filming disaster/tragedy/violence/crime than doing anything about it. "Don't call the cops, man! This shit will get me tons of subs on YouTube!"

It's the downside of giving everyone a video camera to use at all times, combined with the allure of 15 minutes of internet fame. Common decency flushed down the toilet, and it's not ever coming back.

If they actually filmed this while calling for help and assisting the man they would've had far more than just 15 minutes of fame.

So no, they didn't do this for internet glory. They did this because they're just pure fucking evil.

I don't think there's technically any law against it unless you can prove that helping him wouldn't have posed a risk to them or that the cops would've gotten there in time should they have called for help. It's one of those things that you'd think could be avoided with basic human decency.
Laws governing assistance don't put a clause in it saying unless you think he's dead either way.

There are only a few exceptions were laymen are allowed to call the death of people over a professional and those are things like decapitation and similar.

EMD doesn't let people die either when they think it's hopeless a doctor has to make that call. This can differ in cases of emergency depending on available personnel.

Limit

Oh yeah. Sure. Why should I care or even assume that this will haunt the kids for a long time? If this was your mom/dad/husband/wife/kid who had died would you continue to have a morally deformed backbone and give benefit of the doubt towards people who mocked and callously filmed your loved one drowning? You're empathizing with malice here. Fix it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This wasn't suicide though.

Are we certain about that?

Maybe other sources say more, I've only read this article, but it kind of sounds like one. The man gets in an argument and then goes out into the middle of the lake without a boat or anything. It's a relatively small lake probably without any significant current so unless he couldn't swim I'm not sure why he would drown. It might have been intentional.

Doesn't in any way absolve the teens.

Lamel

Banned
Dude...at 14 I knew not to do psycho shit like this. I mean I know kids can't necessarily be held to the same standard as adults in such cases but damn

mackattk

Only condolence is that if they aren't in jail now they will be soon. IF you are shitty enough to watch someone drown without even calling in help you are going to be shitty enough to do other illegal things which will cause you to be in jail.

I watched some of hte video and the guy was pretty far out in the water. If I saw someone like that I probably wouldn't be physically able to help them make it to land, but I would definitely call for help. Person still might have died in the end, but at least there would be a chance.

The biggest WTF was that the guy was there for five days dead. Could the police not charge them with something related to that? The teens just walked off and left him.

I was first to respond on scene to an 18 yrold who was under the water for 10 or so minutes, drowned in a park lake some time ago. We tried cpr on him for a while until EMS arrived but he was gone. His friends who where around the same age of him also thought he was faking it at first so they walked away from the lake for a bit, thinking he just swam to shore or something. But when they came back they realized something was wrong. People need to take someone in need of help more seriously or at least swim were lifeguards are.

Tom Nook

Are we certain about that?

Maybe other sources say more, I've only read this article, but it kind of sounds like one. The man gets in an argument and then goes out into the middle of the lake without a boat or anything. It's a relatively small lake probably without any significant current so unless he couldn't swim I'm not sure why he would drown. It might have been intentional.

Doesn't in any way absolve the teens.

Ugly situation.

Maybe the man did want to commit suicide but regretted the moment he hit the water and needed help.

Top Bottom