• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

Saw 'Revenge' a 'A Gifted Man' last night. Revenge was surprisingly decent.. A Gifted Man just seemed annoying.

ollin

So far Person of Interest has been the best new show. The Secret Circle and Revenge was unwatchable and have no desire to watch Charlie's Angel. Whitney, Prime Suspects, Ringer, 2 Broke Girls, New Girl, Up All Night, and Free Agents have all been mediocre at best. I wouldn't lose sleep if any were cancelled. Only show left that I have I hopes for is Tera Nova so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

TheOddOne

Just watched "A Gifted Man". It pretty much is a "House"-esq show mixed with the movie "Ghost". I dunno how I feel about it though, while it was solid its just doesn't have anything going for it. I guess if I wanted to watch a gifted cranky doctor show, I would rather watch House. Still gonna stick around to see if it gets its own unique hook.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ivysaur12 said:
So, only 17% of people who watched A Gifted Man were in the demo. And I'm going to guess they weren't younger than 18...

Blue Bloods and CSI: NY did okay. Fringe is whatever since it doesn't even matter at this point beyond Fox not pulling the show early. If everything else on the CW wasn't flailing, I could see Nikita's order getting shrunk to 13.

If we had to go just be premiere numbers and how repeats have been doing, I would say:

- 2 Broke Girls
- New Girl
- Revenge
- Whitney
- Up All Night
- Unforgettable
- Person of Interest
- Ringer
- The Secret Circle

Will all get full season orders. I expect that Revenge will be the only drama that premiered this week on the big 4 that could make it to a second season. It's been repeating well, though is a bit older-skewing than ABC would like. Still, it's the highest rated new drama so far and is in a time slot that ABC has had huge issues with in the past. Barring a huge ratings plummet (which is a definite possibility), Revenge is probably safe.
Up All Night has promise, but I'm convinced that NBC will fuck it up somehow.
The others, I can't comment on, because I haven't see them. I want to see Revenge, though.

ivysaur12

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
It's a sci-fi show on Fox. It's doomed from the start.

Do you want me to get the chart from the other thread? Cause I can.

Short version: This is an empirically incorrect statement. Especially when you only talk about Fox.

ivysaur12

Banned
Pan Am will get a full season order, no doubt.

The Playboy Club and Free Agents should get pulled this week or the week after.

It's also an option for NBC to do 2 hour Dateline on Fridays and move Chuck + GRIMM earlier in the week.

ollin

Not really a big surprise with Terra Nova ratings. Sci-fi TV series never do big numbers no matter how much promotion and money spent on the pilot. Playboy Club is close to being the first cancelled show.

ivysaur12

Banned
ollin said:
Not really a big surprise with Terra Nova ratings. Sci-fi TV series never do big numbers no matter how much promotion and money spent on the pilot. Playboy Club is close to being the first cancelled show.

No.

The Event = 3.9

V = 5.0

FlashForward = 4.0

No.

TheNatural

My Member!
So, Terra Nova's big premiere only did a 3.0 rating, which equaled third place, I'm guessing FOX isn't too happy. I watched a little of it the first hour, the last 40 minutes or so of that hour and it was slow moving with a lot of cliched characters, so I can understand it not doing so hot.

ivysaur12

Banned
ollin said:
Okay I was wrong but the biggest thing is keeping the audience which none of the three did.

The audience was there, and stayed there for a few episodes. The qualities of those shows turned them away.

Also, Lost. So, that is a no.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Playboy Club yesss. I hope they cancel it later today. The cancellation of TPC will take some of the sting away from Terra Nova's disappointing numbers.

cory.

Banned
Throw money at Terra Nova and X Factor, they underperform.
Give the pilot of New Girl away for free, new comedy hit.

I don't get the pitch behind a show like Terra Nova. I doubt there's an outline that goes past the first season. And it's not the kind of show that should be on network TV anyway.

20 mil people watch 2.5 Men?!?!?!? Fuck me sideways.

Novid

Banned
Terra Nova was the best pilot (not called Thundercats) this season. It isnt me saying it everybody else in the media stated it. Yes it was weak, but they wanted more out of it.

New Girl is way more Cliche and Hipster/Fujoshi than Terra Nova will ever be. The best Comedy Pilot (IMO) was Teenage Daughter.

I have a feeling that NBC made a HUGE Mistake not taking Wonder Woman to pliot.

Novid said:
I have a feeling that NBC made a HUGE Mistake not taking Wonder Woman to pliot.
As someone who is a HUGE fan of WW and couldn't stand to watch more than ten minutes of the leaked pilot before closing the video, I say they made the right decision. The character deserves much better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Added Terra Nova assessment to OP (numbers low but not incredibly low, uniquely expensive production works against the show) + a little tidbit on some of the CW stuff. Also updated Playboy Club's entry to highly its virtually guaranteed cancellation at this point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RatskyWatsky said:
Boss from Starz was just renewed for a second season before the first season even premiered.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/starz-renews-new-series-boss-for-second-season-before-premiere/

Haven't read the article yet but they also ordered the first season from the original spec script without going to pilot first, so they obviously have confidence in the show.

Edit: hurr I thought I was smart to point that out but Deadline had it in their article. D'oh.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Stumpokapow said:
Haven't read the article yet but they also ordered the first season from the original spec script without going to pilot first, so they obviously have confidence in the show.

They also did something similar for Spartacus, I think.

Edit: it also says that in the article. lol

Anyway, I hope this bodes well for the quality of the show.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Also, I cannot wait for the creator of The Playboy Club to blame humorless feminists for the show's failure instead of acting and plots that would make Tommy Wiseau cringe.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ryutaro's mama said:
Is The Event gone or is a mid-season replacement?

NBC cancelled the series. The creators of the show have been saying that SyFy might save it for some reason, but an exec at SyFy recently said:

"To answer some questions I've been getting, at this time we have no plans to pick up The Event."

So, I don't think there's any hope for it. It's gone.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
JasonMCG said:
The Playboy Club is going to be canned. The writing is so bad it's laughable.
It would be laughable if it wasn't so goddamned cringeworthy.

Ten years from now, Amber Heard will leave this off her resume, I'm calling it.

ivysaur12

Banned
They couldn't make the budget work for SyFy. Sets were struck, contracts expired, the show is out on DVD as "the complete series." Done.

Nothing will be announced from NBC till Thursday, methinks. They need to see how badly Free Agents, Harry's Law, and Prime Suspect do before making moves.

twinturbo2 said:
It would be laughable if it wasn't so goddamned cringeworthy.

Ten years from now, Amber Heard will leave this off her resume, I'm calling it.

I mean, resumes for actors are fairly meh these days now with IMDB.

Hopefully Eddie Cibrian is forced into a career of some one-spot guest appearances. And Progressive commercials.

jagowar

Really surprised terra nova was that low.... I do think it is fighting an uphill battle going against all the other stuff on a monday but still expected it to do a bit better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ivysaur12 said:
So guys, Revenge is the #1 new drama so far. Who saw that coming?

I kinda thought it was going to be tonally closer to "Desperate Housewives" and thought it was going to be pretty big on that basis, but as a more serious drama it surprised me that it did that well.

From a quality point of view, I'd give Revenge a close second to Pan Am's first this year. I think Pan Am's terrible CGI and chromakey sequences put me off more than they should have, but dramatically it was probably the best.

Not really sure where the DH audience is going to go. Daytime soaps are dead/dying, Revenge is more serious, Apartment 23 is more comedy. There's no soapy bitchy light dramedy on network TV right now :O

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ivysaur12 said:
Hopefully Eddie Cibrian is forced into a career of some one-spot guest appearances. And Progressive commercials.
I was going to say that Hef's tears are going to taste awesome, but then I realized he's a dirty old man. Excuse me before I vomit on my keyboard...

Xater

Playboy Club being already on the brink of cancelation pleases me. The pilot was so awful. I think I quit halfway through.

TheNatural

My Member!
NBC getting beat by Univision last night = LOL.

They should just forget about scripted TV and become a broadcast sports channel and show hockey, baseball, and basketball every night. It's pretty amazing how bad of shape the network is in with ratings, it seems like every year a good 75% of shows get cancelled.

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I kinda thought it was going to be tonally closer to "Desperate Housewives" and thought it was going to be pretty big on that basis, but as a more serious drama it surprised me that it did that well.

From a quality point of view, I'd give Revenge a close second to Pan Am's first this year. I think Pan Am's terrible CGI and chromakey sequences put me off more than they should have, but dramatically it was probably the best.

Not really sure where the DH audience is going to go. Daytime soaps are dead/dying, Revenge is more serious, Apartment 23 is more comedy. There's no soapy bitchy light dramedy on network TV right now :O

ABC has had the most solid year, drama-wise, so far. Revenge probably has me more than Pan Am in terms of guilty pleasures because of the location, the cast, the source material, and a hint of potential that I don't think is realized quite yet in the pilot.

And yeah, soaps are a dying breed. Good Christian Belles is the only big one of the big four. Apartment 23 is funny as shit.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
So guys, Revenge is the #1 new drama so far.

Who saw that coming?

I didn't. I was sort of oblivious to the prospects of the show, so I didn't really give it much thought. At least Revenge isn't a shit pile like a lot of the other dramas this Fall.

ivysaur12

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
I didn't. I was sort of oblivious to the prospects of the show, so I didn't really give it much thought. At least Revenge isn't a shit pile like a lot of the other dramas this Fall.

But the promotional billboards make Emily Van Camp look like a giant lizard linebacker. Didn't think that was possible.

outunderthestars said:
I really hope Whitney gets canceled soon.

Terra Nova is not long for this world either.

I've never even heard of the playboy club....

1. It won't.

2. It will last at least a season, I'm more interested in these numbers since it's a bit of a special case with the amount of marketing going into it. We'll see.

3. You and 99% of America, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom