• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

It's seeing the credits roll. It's challenging to start again after that. At least somewhat.

Final Fantasy 7 could be a great game but after beating it, they expect you to take out another disc and put that disc in your Playstation and just replay the same game. Then they have the nerve to expect you to do it a THIRD TIME!

Playing the same maps, granted there are some changes and new characters and new quests, but it is still the same world, is just too much of a slog to get through once, let alone 3 times.

-----

I understand that the recent reviewer didn't enjoy even the amount that they had played of it and I don't care what number they assign, but when they keep making this assertion that they are taking a principled stance to not "replay" the game, it is hard to not judge them for incompetence.

Fuck, my favorite game of all time is Suikoden 3 and I am pretty sure these people would run away screaming if I tried explaining the Trinity Sight System to them.

LotusHD

Banned
It's at 88 again. :(

yJWJccJ.png

GameCritics - 65/100

Well, at least surely that reviewer played the game to the en-

Well, we already been through this. It's whatever

Metacritic is industry cancer, at least the way it's worshipped by publishers and used to affect budgets is.

Judge dev studio quality by enthusiast write ups of games by people who didn't even finish them brehs

I'm STILL getting retweets and likes and comments and conversations inclusions and whatnot from talking to the previous guy. XD

Same here.

I'm of the opinion that if your job is to review games, you need to play the full game. Quitting halfway through the second route in NieR: Automata is like showing up for half a shift at a job then peacing out when you feel like it.

The job's just not done.

Ah well, much like a job would blacklist an employee like that, we too can personally blacklist reviewers & not care about their faulty reviews in the future; especially when they can't be trusted to finish games.

Astral

I was wondering why this thread got bumped. While playing the game I thought "I hope no one actually reviewed this without getting the proper ending." Turns out someone did lol. I'm happy with this game's MC but regardless of what it is it's my GOTY. I'm actually kinda sad that P5 might take it's place since it feels like my time with it was too short.

At least the the reviewer saw the game's story through in one shape or form, even if it's via watching LP.

Thing is, having finished NieR, I can get the spectrum of "GOAT 10/10 masterpiece" all the way to "meh, it's a decent game, but so much idiosyncrasies and the story does nothing for me."

It's a story and pace where you find meaning in what it dares to ask the players to consider in your experience of it, but not everyone will be touched or react to the implicit questions that the story poses.

robotrock

Banned
At least the the reviewer saw the game's story through in one shape or form, even if it's via watching LP.

Thing is, having finished NieR, I can get the spectrum of "GOAT 10/10 masterpiece" all the way to "meh, it's a decent game, but so much idiosyncrasies and the story does nothing for me."

It's a story and pace where you find meaning in what it dares to ask the players to consider in your experience of it, but not everyone will be touched or react to the implicit questions that the story poses.

Yeah. I could totally see someone who doesn't like this game at all and gives it a super low score, and also totally get the 10/10s too.

I just can't understand like what point we're at where a dude played a bit of a game, then watched a fucking Let's Play of the rest of it, and then reviewed it with a Metacritic score. Like, how is that any different from 90% of Metacritic user reviews

mike6467

It's seeing the credits roll. It's challenging to start again after that. At least somewhat.

Also Route B really, really doesn't help encourage people to keep playing either. I'm about 5 hours into it and struggling to grind through.

So...you're telling me I get to go through the same story from a different perspective (that isn't exactly mind blowing) but with neutered combat (one weapon) and an annoying mini-game?

I've absolutely loved the game so far, and I'll get all the endings, but I felt a sense of dread when I realized what it was going to take to get to route C and the new content

I'm debating continuing it now, or just coming back to it after I've spent some time with Persona 5 and need a palette cleanser. Maybe at that point I'll have more enthusiasm for it.

Ferrio

Banned
Also Route B really, really doesn't help encourage people to keep playing either. I'm about 5 hours into it and struggling to grind through.

So...you're telling me I get to go through the same story from a different perspective (that isn't exactly mind blowing) but with neutered combat (one weapon) and an annoying mini-game?

I've absolutely loved the game so far, and I'll get all the endings, but I felt a sense of dread when I realized what it was going to take to get to route C and the new content

I'm debating continuing it now, or just coming back to it after I've spent some time with Persona 5 and need a palette cleanser. Maybe at that point I'll have more enthusiasm for it.

You can plow through B fast if you want, you already know most of everything you have to do. It's worth it for C. Also
there's more to B than you give it credit for

Skittles

I think everyone in this thread jokes about the MC score affecting their enjoyment of the game.

Still think it's crazy to review a game without seeing the whole story though.
Asking a game reviewer to play through the same game 3 times to get the whole story is absurd, especially when the game is as long as it is. They do not have that kind of time.

tuxfool

Banned
Asking a game reviewer to play through the same game 3 times to get the whole story is absurd, especially when the game is as long as it is. They do not have that kind of time.
Though in this case the reviewer can't even be bothered to finish some games once.

OniBaka

It's like the shortest game out and you're not playing the same content 3 times.

robotrock

Banned

Yeah but you're not really replaying the game three times. Also, all in all, it took me about 28 hours to finish it as well as doing a few side quests. I just saw a crazy amount of reviewers who decided to properly review a 100+ hour game with Persona 5. No excuses.

If you're not going to see the content, then don't review the game.

Across the 30~ hour game, there's about 3 hours of repeated content.
That 3 hours is also with
a different character, new abilities and recontextualized plot.

Wagram

but it's not playing through 3 times in this case. The initial credits are literally the same as a chapter ending. Nier 1 is asking someone to play several times.

mollipen

1: It's not the same game three times in a row
2: The first route was 15 hours for me, the second 4 ~ 5. It's not like it's an even amount every time.
3: It's kind of our jobs to do so in a cases like this. Now, if it was like 100-hour Persona 5 saying I'd have to play through it twice to properly review it, that's a whole other story.

MCD

Valid criticism IMO. Don't have time nowadays to beat a game once and you are telling me to do it thrice just to get your story?

Nah. Back to Overwatch.

Ferrio

Banned
Valid criticism IMO. Don't have time nowadays to beat a game once and you are telling me to do it thrice just to get your story?

Nah. Back to Overwatch.

You're taking the word "beating" too literal. If the game had been a straight 30 hour game with no new game+ would of it made any difference on how much you play?

Since PCGamer are mostly reviewing port quality rather than game quality, I hope they go back and change the score when the problems are fixed. They clearly consider it a 9 or a 10.

Metacritic only take the first score a reviewer gives, right?
It's not on outlets to re-review a game because it wasn't so great at launch. That's just a waste of their time. Shouldn't have released a bad port in the first place.

Yeah. I could totally see someone who doesn't like this game at all and gives it a super low score, and also totally get the 10/10s too.

I just can't understand like what point we're at where a dude played a bit of a game, then watched a fucking Let's Play of the rest of it, and then reviewed it with a Metacritic score. Like, how is that any different from 90% of Metacritic user reviews
I hope he got paid well for that arduous dedication to his craft. Truly an inspiration to us all.

LotusHD

Banned

Nah. Back to Overwatch.

You can always tell who actually played the game with posts like this...

Damn it guys, I'm not getting dragged back into this lol

Nah. Back to Overwatch.

You didn't beat the game thrice. You beat it once. They just put some credits in between like acts in a play.

Invalid criticism.

and seeing as how you didn't have it anyway, you won't be missed.

Nier isn't one game 3 times.

It's three parts of one game.

I got credits after eating something as a joke ending. That didn't mean the game was finished.

Yes.

Mailbox

Am I the only one that thoroughly enjoyed route B.

No I absolutely loved the massive amounts of context it gave to the world and to the characters.

That "review" (if anything its a "first impressions", giving it a score that metacritic counts is utter trash) makes me so miffed. You lose out on so SO much by not playing the game. This game only really works as a game you play. Just watching it isn't nearly enough.

Its like if i tried to review a movie by watching half of it, then letting my buddy tell my what happened after. There's a level of disconnect from not experiencing it yourself (especially in the case of automata where it messing with gaming conventions as you play is part of the whole thing and how everything is in place to serve the themes), and as such the review reads like nothing more than a blog post rather than anything professional.

That "reviewer" should be ashamed. :/

Nier isn't one game 3 times.

It's three parts of one game.

I got credits after eating something as a joke ending. That didn't mean the game was finished.

And this is key. Yes!

Perhaps someone should just let him/her know that the game wasn't over and that they should actually finish the game.

Maybe they'll adjust their scoring.

I would love to be optimistic and say that might work but probably not if they didn't even finish Horizon either. It's certainly worth a shot nonetheless.

I'm conflicted about whether or not a reviewer should have to finish a game in order to render a verdict. Some games are insanely long.

That being said, this doesn't really seem like one of those games (have yet to play it myself). We're not talking about some 80+ hour adventure.

Mailbox

I'm conflicted about whether or not a reviewer should have to finish a game in order to render a verdict. Some games are insanely long.

That being said, this doesn't really seem like one of those games (have yet to play it myself). We're not talking about some 80+ hour adventure.

If you brute-force your way through just the story (which i don't recommend), you can beat Automata in roughly 25-ish hours.

Any reviewer who can't be "bothered" to play through that (much less stop halfway through the second act) isn't fit to call themselves a reviewer imo

Trickster

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about how the endings in this game works. It was my first Yoko Taro game, and it was pretty damn easy to understand

This game can be completed in probably 20-35 hours if you skip most of the plot-relevant side quests. "I'm in a rush" can't be the excuse. If they don't have a couple of days to dedicate to playing and finishing a game, they probably shouldn't be reviewing games. Or maybe their focus should be on mobile games.

The reviewer was very well aware, he watched the rest on youtube afterall

....oh.

Why did this person write a review at all? What audience is this review for? The people who buy a single-player, story-driven, action RPG but can't be bothered to finish it?

If you brute-force your way through just the story (which i don't recommend), you can beat Automata in roughly 25-ish hours.

This game can be completed in probably 20-35 hours if you skip most of the plot-relevant side quests. "I'm in a rush" can't be the excuse. If they don't have a couple of days to dedicate to playing and finishing a game, they probably shouldn't be reviewing games.

That's what I figured, so yes, there's really no excuse not to finish this game if you're reviewing it.

Top Bottom