• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The bike levels were garbage....somehow they felt even worse in this remaster than the original too. I eventually got through them, but damn....controls were weird as hell and i can't even count how many times those jackoffs in the car purposely steered into me at the most perfect time to completely screw me up lol

Needed blind luck to come in 1st, especially in the later ones. How can i not hit any cars, or obstacles, hit all the boost pads, not crash, and still only come in 3rd or 4th? I think they needed more tuning, tbh.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you do The Lost City without dying and break all of the crates you'll get the green gem, which unlocks a secret path at the start of Castle Machinery. The path is just a straight line containing thirty-something lives, and you can then quit the game and reload to respawn them.
So I tried that and... well, I must have retried the bonus level about 30 times lol. Then I finally got it, and immediately missed a jump right after that, just as I was near the end. ;_; No gem for me, but I did accumulate like 25 lives across the level, so that was good enough for me to continue on with the game. Beat it last night.

I haven't done Fumbling in the Dark and Stormy Ascent yet though. I tried Stormy Ascent briefly again last night, but it's brutal and I got a game over. I don't recall Fumbling in the Dark being optional in the original game? But I DO remember it taking me down from like 50+ lives to less than 5 back in the day, that level is still nightmare fuel for me, so I haven't dared try it yet. xD

I've been stuck on Road to Nowhere for over a month because the controls are so poor. It's a bad game to me.
Git gud :p

Road to Nowhere is fine. It's not bad game design, just really unforgiving precision platforming. It's actually one of my favourite levels. It is pure, simple, elegant precision platforming, with just enough room to breathe in between sequences.

The High Road, however, has some legit bad design moments, because the turtle bouncing is pretty clunky and not as reliable as it should be, and the checkpoint placement is weird.

Tapejara

So I tried that and... well, I must have retried the bonus level about 30 times lol. Then I finally got it, and immediately missed a jump right after that, just as I was near the end. ;_; No gem for me, but I did accumulate like 25 lives across the level, so that was good enough for me to continue on with the game. Beat it last night.

I haven't done Fumbling in the Dark and Stormy Ascent yet though. I tried Stormy Ascent briefly again last night, but it's brutal and I got a game over. I don't recall Fumbling in the Dark being optional in the original game? But I DO remember it taking me down from like 50+ lives to less than 5 back in the day, that level is still nightmare fuel for me, so I haven't dared try it yet. xD

Glad my Lost City idea provided some benefit :p.

Fisty

Finally got around to doing Stormy Ascent last night... Gem was no problem, took around 25 lives but not too bad.

Relic was a bastard, that was 3 hours of hell before finally achieving transcendence and getting that pure platforming perfection.

Definitely the hardest "legit" level to get the gold relic, even though High Road relic was much more difficult for me because you were forced to cheat on those damn ropes

Nev

Banned
For me the Sunset Vista relic was the single most annoying thing to get in Crash 1.

What a nightmare. At least High Road/Road to Nowhere were short-ish.

Git gud :p

Road to Nowhere is fine. It's not bad game design, just really unforgiving precision platforming. It's actually one of my favourite levels. It is pure, simple, elegant precision platforming, with just enough room to breathe in between sequences.

The High Road, however, has some legit bad design moments, because the turtle bouncing is pretty clunky and not as reliable as it should be, and the checkpoint placement is weird.

"Pure, simple, elegant precision platforming"

Lol. Can't tell if you're serious or actually believe what you just typed. I've slipped off the edges of planks and ropes so many times it's almost comical at this point. 2 and 3 have much better controls, 1 is a dumpster fire at some points.

*Splinter

Lol. Can't tell if you're serious or actually believe what you just typed. I've slipped off the edges of planks and ropes so many times it's almost comical at this point. 2 and 3 have much better controls, 1 is a dumpster fire at some points.
Maybe stop standing on the edges of things

I'm not standing on the edges, that doesn't even make sense. I slip off the edges because of poor collision detection. This is a pretty well known issue with the trilogy, especially Crash 1 which is more unforgiving so I don't know what you're trying to even say here. Seems like a thinly veiled "git gud" response which isn't the issue. I tried for a month and just can't beat it so instead of forcing myself to continue playing I stopped because at this point I'm not having fun. Crash 2 and especially 3 seem tighter and I enjoy them much more so than 1.

Edit: I would also like to add that somebody mentioned in this thread that the original Crash Bandicoot wasn't even playtested before release which combined with the changed physics/hitboxes makes for a frustrating experience.

*Splinter

I wouldn't say it was that thinly veiled...

(You're right, sorry that was uncalled for)

For a less inflammatory answer, I think the problem is that people's expectations (that you can stand on a ledge with one pixel of your tippy toes) doesn't match the reality (that you need a more solid contact. I don't think either method is right or wrong and it comes down to a design decision, which is why VV have said they won't patch it.

Clearly a lot of people feel it's off though, which suggests the current model is at least a bit too strict.

BHK3

Banned

I dont blame you for not reading 100 pages from this thread, but its a very well known issue that you will slip off of platforms. You can even go watch some popular youtubers like Markiplier play the game and you will see them land and slide off and rant for 20 minutes at a time.

*Splinter

I dont blame you for not reading 100 pages from this thread, but its a very well known issue that you will slip off of platforms. You can even go watch some popular youtubers like Markiplier play the game and you will see them land and slide off and rant for 20 minutes at a time.
Sadly I have read all 100 pages :p

I edited in a less dick-ish answer above, basically I think it should be patched but understand why it won't, and without a patch the only solution is to be more careful about how you land on things.

Can't slip off the edges if you don't stand on them
afd.jpg_large

I wouldn't say it was that thinly veiled...

(You're right, sorry that was uncalled for)

For a less inflammatory answer, I think the problem is that people's expectations (that you can stand on a ledge with one pixel of your tippy toes) doesn't match the reality (that you need a more solid contact. I don't think either method is right or wrong and it comes down to a design decision, which is why VV have said they won't patch it.

Clearly a lot of people feel it's off though, which suggests the current model is at least a bit too strict.

They levels were remade from scratch, but the layouts were originally designed with a rectangular prism hitbox in mind.

After getting every trophy for this trilogy, and can confidently say the bride levels become far more demanding than they were ever intended to be. Just because they are possible to complete (even for platinum relics) doesn't mean there's nothing flawed about them as a result of the player hitbox.

A dismissive response it not warranted here.

Roo

Just to remind you guys today is the last day grab the Stormy Ascent level DLC for free.
They'll charge $2.99 afterwards.

I cannot believe people are STILL saying the game has poor collision detection. I mean, is it seriously that hard to admit you fumbled a jump?

After getting every trophy for this trilogy, and can confidently say the bride levels become far more demanding than they were ever intended to be. Just because they are possible to complete (even for platinum relics) doesn't mean there's nothing flawed about them as a result of the player hitbox.

Except Vicarious Visions has already gone on record to say that it is their intention for the platforming to behave as such, so the complaining about it being different from previous versions is completely senseless.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Yes, I'm serious, and I believe it. The fact that you slip off so many times doesn't change anything. I've slipped off too and it's frustrating, because the game is really harsh, but it's not a design problem. Games being harsh/hard aren't inherently badly designed.

I cannot believe people are STILL saying the game has poor collision detection. I mean, is it seriously that hard to admit you fumbled a jump?

Except Vicarious Visions has already gone on record to say that it is their intention for the platforming to behave as such, so the complaining about it being different from previous versions is completely senseless.

What's senseless is trying to refute that the new collision is different and less forgiving, and that that affects the challenge of a given level (i.e. Road to Nowhere and High Road). There's no refuting that it's different, and playing the original next to the new ones makes that evident. The new level designs are as close to the originals as possible, and any changes in collision/control will have an effect.

You may not care, and you may consider it not worth worrying about, but that's the reality of the game. Whether this difference is a positive or negative is up to personal preference, just like all the other changes.

What's senseless is trying to refute that the new collision is different and less forgiving, and that that affects the challenge of a given level (i.e. Road to Nowhere and High Road). There's no refuting that it's different, and playing the original next to the new ones makes that evident. The new level designs are as close to the originals as possible, and any changes in collision/control will have an effect.

You may not care, and you may consider it not worth worrying about, but that's the reality of the game. Whether this difference is a positive or negative is up to personal preference, just like all the other changes.

I'm not refuting that it is different, I'm refuting people saying it's the game's fault for missing a jump. Regardless of being different, if you miss a jump it's on you, not on the game.

ghibli99

Don't think I mentioned it, but I did get the Crash 3 plat earlier this month... I actually liked 3 quite a bit, even though it was much easier than the previous two games. Those were very difficult at times, so 3 felt like a "bonus stage", as if the devs were saying thank you and throwing me a bone for actually making it through the first two games. :)

I really do hope VV does an original, new entry in the series.

Don't think I mentioned it, but I did get the Crash 3 plat earlier this month... I actually liked 3 quite a bit, even though it was much easier than the previous two games. Those were very difficult at times, so 3 felt like a "bonus stage", as if the devs were saying thank you and throwing me a bone for actually making it through the first two games. :)

I really do hope VV does an original, new entry in the series.
They should make a new one—they know the ins and outs of the best games in the series now.

I'm not refuting that it is different, I'm refuting people saying it's the game's fault for missing a jump. Regardless of being different, if you miss a jump it's on you, not on the game.

And those bridge levels are an extreme spike in difficulty, especially the time trials. They become Stormy Ascent-level difficult when originally it was nowhere close. To say nothing of the turtle hitboxes.

Again, just because it's beatable doesn't mean everything is fine. It's like saying the tutorial in Driver PS1 was perfectly fine as is, of that the HD version of SotC's grip meter is perfectly fine despite the game design being built around less frequent jostling, and the time trials get jacked up by it too (sound familiar?).

farisr

After platinuming Crash, my opinion on the matter is, miss a jump straight out, it's your fault. The gradual slip off that happens when you're jumping in place without pressing any directions, game's fault. There's pretty much no way of outright predicting which jump/bounce in these instances will result in you slipping off whereas making jumps and what not. You can adapt to the added leeway you have to start a jump off a platform and the shortened leeway you have to land the jump, you can't really tell "oh I bounced off this section of the turtle, I have two bounces before I slip off"

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
After platinuming Crash, my opinion on the matter is, miss a jump straight out, it's your fault. The gradual slip off that happens when you're jumping in place without pressing any directions, game's fault. There's pretty much no way of outright predicting which jump/bounce in these instances will result in you slipping off whereas making jumps and what not. You can adapt to the added leeway you have to start a jump off a platform and the shortened leeway you have to land the jump, you can't really tell "oh I bounced off this section of the turtle, I have two bounces before I slip off"

Exactly....and that happens in Crash 1 all the time. He does this annoying ass little hop/scoot at the end of a jump that happens no matter what. More often than not, it manifests during scenarios where precision is at it's most critical. I know it's there, you know it's there, and let's face it, the devs wouldn't have made that post if they didn't know it was there. Don't waste your breath here trying to convince the certain Crash Holier than thou crowd that it exists, because they'll just insist that it's your fault. I played all these games inside and out back on the PSOne and muscle memory is real, and something is 100% off and wrong with the Crash 1 jumping and landing no matter what some people here tell you. I've since finished all 3 games and i'm working on the remaining gems in Crash 3.

graybot

This will make me sound like a fool. But here goes

I cant say how I know etc… and Ive never ever had any relevant info before. But I can say for a fact that the Crash Remaster will be released on Switch. Don’t know about xbox, but I assume it will as well

I believe it will be announced within the next couple of months. That is all I know

I cant say how I know etc… and Ive never ever had any relevant info before. But I can say for a fact that the Crash Remaster will be released on Switch. Don’t know about xbox, but I assume it will as well

I believe it will be announced within the next couple of months. That is all I know

Hurrah. If there's a PC release too, I'll end up triple dipping.

Alphahawk

It seems insane that this game requires the intro to be played each time, you start it. I mean it's not that long but it's long enough for it to be annoying.

I realize they're probably trying to mask loading times, but if your game needs to load that much upfront, you might want to leave it in the oven for a few months.

It's a good idea to not say anything at all if you aren't in the position to provide some sort of verification to mods.

Roo

It's a good idea to not say anything at all if you aren't in the position to provide some sort of verification to mods.

It's not like he's making some wild speculations no one saw coming.
At this point ports for other consoles are more a matter of "when" rather than "if", imo.

Pinkuss

So I've done a Yougov survey and this popped up with loads of questions on remasters and Crash, what I liked, various remaster questions/what I'd like to see in new games (not just Crash but lots of Crash questions).

Remaster.png

Zubz

Banned
So I've done a Yougov survey and this popped up with loads of questions on remasters and Crash, what I liked, various remaster questions/what I'd like to see in new games (not just Crash but lots of Crash questions).

Remaster.png

What's the link? I'm interested enough myself, but a certain redhead in that image makes me think 1 out of luck GAFfer wants in, too.

ajjow

So, I bought this and never played the originals. Should I start with crash 1 or just go to crash 2?!

Btw, I consider myself a Pro with 2d and 3d plataformers.

Qwark

Finally got back into this and trying to get the plat on the first game, but ack, these time trials are so frustrating. I have 6 left, focus right now is Native Fortress. These jump boxes just kill me, I usually end up screwing up trying to do single bounce ascends. Also the boxes seem to put you a couple feet farther back from the rest of the stage, which means it's very easy to miss a turtle by being too deep and then get hit by it, argh. Gotten close a couple times, but need some more practice.

farisr

Finally got back into this and trying to get the plat on the first game, but ack, these time trials are so frustrating. I have 6 left, focus right now is Native Fortress. These jump boxes just kill me, I usually end up screwing up trying to do single bounce ascends. Also the boxes seem to put you a couple feet farther back from the rest of the stage, which means it's very easy to miss a turtle by being too deep and then get hit by it, argh. Gotten close a couple times, but need some more practice.
Don't know if you've done it yet or not, but if not, do not forget about the secret paths behind the fence. I made that time trial way harder than it needed to be because I forgot about those until I went for the gems.

Ah seeing this get bumps gives me a good excuse to make my fist actual post of GAF in this topic. Just so you know, I'm the guy that found that Spyro Demo Code thing and posted a video of it onto my really old Youtube channel full that was mainly really cheesy MUGEN videos and some gameplay of a cancelled crossover platformer, hurray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNgUIhCe-rI

I'd like to say I've made more progress on it, but having now gotten platinum trophies in the entire trilogy to see if that was a pre-requirement (like it was in the Sly Collection) and trying every button combo imaginable, no such luck, it accepts the Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right part fine. But nothing further from there.

I'm holding onto a theory that they could patch in a possible demo in the future, with the demo not being ready at game launch (Probably on the basis they need confirmation this would sell well first before commiting to future remakes? I not a business man, who knows) but it's highly suspicious that said code input has any effect in the game at all, let alone only on Crash 3 as well.

It's a wait and see thing at present, maybe at the Playstation Experience something might turn up? Who knows.

As for the whole trilogy itself, I had a great time playing these, I feel like Crash 1 is the game that benefited the most from the trilogy with a lot of added anti-frustration features that has been added, I must say with Crash 2 though, it feels like the levels were balanced around running through them with the Speed Shoes as despite playing and beating the original Crash 2 numerous times (Most recently on the PS Vita in 2016), a number of the jumps I kept on slightly missing by (Espicially world 4 with the Bee Levels and Ruination, those level is frustrating normally, but the first run through was espicially awful on my end, felt like I could never really get away from the bees and the slide under an electric barrier that you have to cancel into a jump took until the Pity Masks came out. Ruination is ruination, levels annoying) but when it came to doing the Relic Runs, had no problem at all speedily jumping between platform to platform no problem.

I'm not sure how I feel on that call, for one, every run after the first (Maybe second if you missed a Gem) will be your relic runs so it's important that those runs need to be the best possible, but at the cost of making everyones first run more frustrating to handle? I don't know how to feel about that, maybe it would have been a better call just to keep the Speed Shoes to Crash 3 and balance the relic runs and platforming around regular speed. It's not really an issue in Crash 3 due to the game having more vehicle levels and the double jump / tornado spin re-adjusting how the platformer difficulty is done (like in Tomb Wader the trick is to get through each water section quickly whilst reacting to the rising and lowering water.) It's fun they kept a number of the old glitches in this one though, Glitched High Jump espicially allows you to cheese a few things you can't normally do (why did you have to move the Red Gem that bit higher up though?)

Native Fortress is a tricky one, I only went for Gold instead of the Platinum, but I found the best timing in the level (without having to wait a fair while at the beginning) was to just go right away and skip bouncing up for the first mask, most of the fire traps and spike traps would be off if you keep up a good pace through the level at that point, but of course, having a mask is always a good safety net if you are afraid of taking a hit, and if you keep it to the end, makes that last triple fire jump a lot easier if you just take a hit to get through it quicker. Your call on what route to take on that one, and don't forget on the top layer of the fortress that you can go behind the stage to skip some of the traps. Good luck.

TheOGB

Banned
I finally got the plats for Cortex Strikes Back and Warped, but now the only thing left in CB1 are the relics for the bridge stages and Stormy Ascent

f5gSJW4.gif

I finally got the plats for Cortex Strikes Back and Warped, but now the only thing left in CB1 are the relics for the bridge stages and Stormy Ascent

If the gem trophy is any indication you can do stormy ascent first and be spared one of the other levels.

f5gSJW4.gif
God-fucking-speed, my friend. I recommend Stormy Ascent first just because it's longer, yet more fair moment-to-moment.

And practice the final three birds outside of a time trial first. I can't say whether this is always the right thing to do, but I only made it by continually holding left and closing my eyes because correcting in midair killed so many times

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Guys, can anyone help. High Road is really messing with me. It's been weeks. I can't finish it lmao

I would if I could, but I'm not sure how I can help... xD

That level is a bitch. I love Road to Nowhere, but this one with all the turtle jumping is insane.

A tip I might get is to grind for lives (you might need to save&quit and then reload for lives to respawn in crates), like, at least 20-30 lives, then save right outside that level, then attempt it. If you waste 'em all, instead of hitting Continue, just reload your save.

OrbOutrider

Neo Member
I would if I could, but I'm not sure how I can help... xD

That level is a bitch. I love Road to Nowhere, but this one with all the turtle jumping is insane.

A tip I might get is to grind for lives (you might need to save&quit and then reload for lives to respawn in crates), like, at least 20-30 lives, then save right outside that level, then attempt it. If you waste 'em all, instead of hitting Continue, just reload your save.

Thabks I'll give that a try. Maybe I'll grind for lives on bats. I just played again and farthest I got was on the turtle with broken planks on the middle, after the first checkpoint. Fucking evil bastard who designed that shit.

farisr

Thabks I'll give that a try. Maybe I'll grind for lives on bats. I just played again and farthest I got was on the turtle with broken planks on the middle, after the first checkpoint. Fucking evil bastard who designed that shit.
Best place to farm lives in Crash 1 (if you don't have the green gem) is The Lost City, has access to about 3 or 4 lives right at the beginning of the level. Quit the level, reload autosave, repeat.

Tizoc

Gah wasted 30 lives until I remembered I can walk on the ropes on that stage.
The game really could've gone with some leniency.

I beat Crash 2 and found World 5's stages mostly easy TBH.

Going back to Crash 1 I am now in the stage that doesn't have checkpoints. Yay.

Top Bottom