• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

AdrianWerner said:
People, relax. It's just a marketing stunt. Worse one ever. I don't know who at CDP thought this was a good idea to drop the beta and go final in such manner, but he's a moron.

And yes, it is a stunt, CEO warned financial forums couple days ago to ignore what will appear on Gog site soon. .t. It's a mess overall...23rd there was supposed to be full blown conference (like the one in Spring, when they've shown Witcher 2 for the first time), but it was just annouced it won't happen and there will be online conference instead.

Anyway, bassicaly GoG is simply ending it's beta phase and going final, that's all. Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.

I'm kinda thinking this too (not just because I'm hopeful) but their twitter was actually updated two days ago, those tweets weren't about them shutting down today

vazel

Banned
arstal said:
Gamersgate was spun off from Paradox. I do have some worries there, but I believe worst case scenario- Impulse would take the GG keys.

Impulse should be fine. Stardock overall is profitable, uses Impulse for its application siide, and Brad says Impulse is profitable.

D2D I worry about.
You say those other sites are ok but not D2D. Why? IIRC they're second biggest to Steam.
Joseph Merrick said:
hey buddy, you trying to pick a fight or what. don't use small to describe gog.com's selection of 400 or so games in one sentence and then smaller in the next to describe gamersgate who has like double the amount of titles to steam. I'm gonna get angry alright

good info, dude. you should have come sooner :-D
Whenever I would scan for games on gog.com I could list them all on one page. The selection seemed especially sparse when you listed by genre. :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow what a shitty piece of news to wake up to, I feel like I've been punched in the gut.

At least they will be putting up the downloads somehow, I need to archive the 30 some odd games I bought there.

vazel said:
Whenever I would scan for games on gog.com I could list them all on one page. The selection seemed especially sparse when you listed by genre. :(
yes, you could list all the games on one page. congratulations.

-PXG- said:
And this is why I keep telling my friends and GAF, that digital distribution is a teriible idea.

I never used GOG, but this is still really bad news. People getting screwed over left and right...

The fuck are you talking about? GOG had no DRM executables and are setting up a system this week if you didn't already back it up. GOG is an example of why a system like they have is the best system you can have since you never have to worry about trying to play them. Learn what you're talking about instead of spouting bullshit.

Polk

AdrianWerner said:
People, relax. It's just a marketing stunt. Worse one ever. I don't know who at CDP thought this was a good idea to drop the beta and go final in such manner, but he's a moron.
I'll believe when you write article on gameplay about it :)

vazel

Banned
Oh fucking hell gog.com. First thing I'm doing when site's back up is buying The Guild pack, Amerzone, and Arcanum. I've learned my lesson!
Joseph Merrick said:
I wouldn't even have to scroll the page much!

Zenith

Banned
Erasus said:
How did this happen? And so sudden!?

This is making me real scared about all my Direct2Drive, Gamersgate and STEAM games...

that's why digital downloads suck. Good thing GOG is the only service that lets you make physical copies of all their products.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AdrianWerner said:

And yes, it is a stunt, CEO warned financial forums couple days ago to ignore what will appear on Gog site soon. .t. It's a mess overall...23rd there was supposed to be full blown conference (like the one in Spring, when they've shown Witcher 2 for the first time), but it was just annouced it won't happen and there will be online conference instead.

Anyway, bassicaly GoG is simply ending it's beta phase and going final, that's all. Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.
I'm guessing you mean the financial site I mentioned in a post earlier http://www.bankier.pl/forum/temat_info-od-cdp-male-podsumowanie-z-mojej-strony,1960123,1.html? If so this is more than a publicity stunt. You do not call an EGM of a company (This is what is going on) to announce a site leaving beta.

There is more going on than meets the eye here. I'm betting on a takeover by a larger publisher, but we'll see on Wednesday.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible terrible news.

I bought around 10 games there and absolutely loved their service.

I hope they will have all the extras up for download when they figure out how to let us re-download our purchases.

Fucking evil corporations...

edit: ahh... well maybe it isn't bad news? I will patiently wait and see.

AdrianWerner said:

I...........want to believe.

If true, its one hell of a terrible joke to pull. All kinds of stupid, what if I wanted to download one of my games today? I can't because of some stupid ass joke? Forgive me for missing the punch line.

What the fuck is going on!?
4tHyh.gif

Swifty

This is really disheartening to hear. I'm a programmer for Freespace Open and before GOG, many of our users pirated Freespace2 to experience the enhanced version we produce. Once GOG came out with their cheap and legal downloadable Freespace2, we instructed all our users to purchase it from there while GOG supported us by informing new players of our existence.

New players of Freespace are now just going to go back to the old method of acquiring our game. It's too bad since our community was willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for legal methods of acquiring the game. I guess it's back to suggesting users scour eBay for 40 dollar copies. :\

Holy fucking shit this is horrible... WOW.

Edit:

I REALLY hope there will be a way to buy some games I was putting off before they go completely under..... UGH. I still want Kings Quest and stuff :'(

androvsky

Stop It said:
Now, this is where things get a bit strange (google translate is rubbish, but on the Quakenet IRC we have Polish natives looking at this)...

http://www.bankier.pl/forum/temat_info-od-cdp-male-podsumowanie-z-mojej-strony,1960123,1.html

CD Projekt are either owned, or part of a company traded as Optimus SA http://www.bankier.pl/inwestowanie/profile/quote.html?symbol=OPTIMUS&format=chart&period=1M&size=B (We're honestly not 100% sure, but there is a CD Project staffer on this financial site mentioning Optimus rather than CDP so we're assuming that they are one and the same or linked).

As you can see, their share price has...been very active recently and their is an EGM scheduled for this coming Wednesday. This all points to a takeover, and depending on who is looking at buying the company, they may not see a DRM free GoG as a viable business model.

This, added to information that I cannot impart, implies that this isn't the last we'll see of Good Old Games. I'd wait a few days before calling for the funeral procession.

That makes a lot more sense than a couple publishers pulling out.

If it's a marketing stunt, they can go to hell.

vazel

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, only past the whole catalogue of 400 or so games. that's like 50 games or something. it's awfully small.
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you. It just seemed smallish to me. Especially when searching by genre. I wish they had a bigger selection of adventure games.

brain_stew said:
I...........want to believe.

If true, its one hell of a terrible joke to pull. All kinds of stupid, what if I wanted to download one of my games today? I can't because of some stupid ass joke? Forgive me for missing the punch line.

THIS! Never before have I had higher hopes in the text on a screen of AdrianWerner!

If this is a stunt someone please punch the head of the stunt in the face. If it's because of them really ending the service, still punch him in the face for ending the service. :/ O well, they're hurting themselves with this stunt since I just bought games off of impulse instead of them because of this.

Pikelet

It does seem very carefully worded to indicate that it might just be leaving beta. Who thought that was a good idea though?

WEGGLES

I went thru their catalogue the other day and jotted down 5 or 6 games I wanted to buy, and another 10 or so I would buy if they had it.

WHY DID I FUCKING WAIT FOR PAYDAY TO BUY CHEAP GAMES?!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

It would just go on my Visa and I wouldn't need to pay it until the 7th of Oct anyways.

:'(

Twig

Banned
AdrianWerner said:

Uh, they've been out of beta for ages.

Joseph Merrick said:
Ignore him, he's a well-established idiot. O:

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If this is a stunt someone please punch the head of the stunt in the face. If it's because of them really ending the service, still punch him in the face for ending the service. :/ O well, they're hurting themselves with this stunt since I just bought games off of impulse instead of them because of this.
I can say with almost 100% certainty that this is not a stunt.

This is something that I think came about much faster than expected (Who decides to shut down a site on a Sunday? The bosses shouldn't even be working!!), but everything will become clear soon enough.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it's a stunt, it's a terrible one for those of us who are already customers and frequent users of their store. But it could work as a warning to wake people up and get on the wagon, if they do come back.

If it isn't a stunt, I'm only going to guess that Activision have something to do with it.

vazel

Banned
Twig said:
Ignore him, he's a well-established idiot. O:
Now that hurts my feelings. Still bitter about the time I called you out about your rank attitude? Just so you know I never actually ignored you(I noticed you mentioned that once).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
malsumis said:
Polish gaming nerw sites to the rescue!

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,107162,8397342,GOG_sie_zamyka__Raczej_nie.html?bo=1

The gist of it is that the message is a part of marketing campaign and that GOG is NOT shutting down. This is supported by a direct quote from Michał Kiciński who is an active poster on the polish money and business related bankier.pl forums.
There are good marketing stunts and there are bad

Closing all links to your site and pretending to be closed is a shitty one.

Twig

Banned
I'll believe it's a "stunt" when they come back and apologize for being dickbirds. U:

Where's the guy who posts on these forums? EvolveTom?

CLARIFY, THANKS, and then if it is a stunt go kick whoever's responsible in the testicles.

vazel said:
Now that hurts my feelings. Still bitter about the time I called you out about your rank attitude? Just so you know I never actually ignored you(I noticed you mentioned that once).
I don't even know what you're talking about. I just think you're an idiot because you say idiotic things. :D

I think I remember you saying you ignored me once, though, you're right! SMALL WORLD.

Acosta said:
No, it was still beta.
Ah, I must be thinking of when they went from "closed beta" to "open beta." My bad.

AdrianWerner said:

I'm angry as hell at the thought that they would do something like this to their supporters but I really hope this is the case.

nny

The news of them shutting down saddened me a lot; but if this ends up being a stupid joke/stunt...it will be good because gog is not gone, but I'll be pissed...and I probably won't be as willing to use their service in the future.

Oh the ambivalence is killing me!

vazel said:
You say those other sites are ok but not D2D. Why? IIRC they're second biggest to Steam

And owned by a huge multinational, of all the DD services I'd say D2D has the most longterm security. Yes, even moreso than Steam.

nny

malsumis said:
Polish gaming nerw sites to the rescue!

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,107162,8397342,GOG_sie_zamyka__Raczej_nie.html?bo=1

The gist of it is that the message is a part of marketing campaign and that GOG is NOT shutting down. This is supported by a direct quote from Michał Kiciński who is an active poster on the polish money and business related bankier.pl forums.

Goddamit, I'm a Shenmue fan, I've already suffered my share of this kind of abuse. Fuck this stupid stunt.

androvsky

shintoki said:
There are good marketing stunts and there are bad

Closing all links to your site and pretending to be closed is a shitty one.

Yeah.

"Trust us. Give us your money. And we could shut down at any moment just for the hell of it! Weeee!!!!"

Current form gives it away

It's like a goddamn Layton puzzle
Agreed, I was going to mention the wording of the actual notice is consistent with a shitty marketing stunt.

They better have all the Mechwarrior games and every LucasArts title ever when they come back up.

LegatoB said:
If this is a marketing stunt, then GOG can go fuck themselves.

What a completely scummy move if true. It goes against the spirit of GOG and everything they stood for to me. Very, very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom